KextSpy

92 posts in this topic

Then why don't we start a sub-forum for Newbies? Judging by bulk of the content I read on the forums here, many people are simply here to build a cheap Mac and don't want to learn how OS X works. I mean, go look in the Graphics sub-forum, it mostly just consists of "why X graphics card wont work can someone fix it plz?". That would certainly help divert traffic from other sub-forums. We could argue that InsanelyMac is soley for development purposes and not for end-users of Hackintosh systems, but with the amount of users we have versus the amount of development getting done, that obviously isn't the case in reality.

Do you have any suggestions?

Sure, I have a suggestion, go out and buy a real Mac and quit wasting space with useless tools that can be accomplished with a simple command in a terminal window. What is the point of this tool? To help people delete unused kexts? If someone has so little disk space that they need to delete kexts, then they need to delete their partition and stick to windows. Now another suggestion, gtfo.

Sure, I have a suggestion, go out and buy a real Mac and quit wasting space with useless tools that can be accomplished with a simple command in a terminal window. What is the point of this tool? To help people delete unused kexts? If someone has so little disk space that they need to delete kexts, then they need to delete their partition and stick to windows.

The point of this tool is to help people when making their own BOOT-132 package. A lot of people are new to OSx86 development and use pre-made distributions like Leo4All, Kalyway, or iPC and want to upgrade to a vanilla install with BOOT-132, but aren't familiar with Terminal. With a list of kexts, it's easy enough to see what's actually running and either pull out non-vanilla kexts or go find newer or better versions on the forums using the search tool, to make your own driver kit for installing Retail Leopard. This tool is simply a button you can push to get a list to help you get started and searching for existing drivers thanks to the abundance of resources on the forums. Obviously it's not an extremely useful tool, but I find it handy and if you're new at this it's nice to have push-buttons apps like this. Judging by the number of PMs I receive asking for help, the number of people who are starting their journey to technical competency on this project aren't just a few, it's a lot. Also, I think it's kind of funny that you wrote an entire paragraph without actually finding out what the app does :)

Besides, I think we've already been over the fact that I've said - multiple times - sorry for posting it and I won't post small apps like this again, and that this thread is now about other topics. I have some horses out back you can beat if you'd like, Paige...

what @ horses

To beat a dead horse means to keep talking about something even after it has been discussed and settled. Earlier in the thread I said that I recognized that it's not a useful tool here and that I wouldn't post anything like it again, since it's obviously not appreciated, but some people can't let it drop. It's the same concept of beating a horse that's already dead...it's kind of pointless, but for some reason people still do it anyway...that's why it's called "beating a dead horse" :)

your name is fitting: 1) your replies are weaksauce; 2) you are 12

Does that mean you're going to have a stroke from all the replies to me and elaborate photoshop work? :)

The point of this tool is to help people when making their own BOOT-132 package. A lot of people are new to OSx86 development and use pre-made distributions like Leo4All, Kalyway, or iPC and want to upgrade to a vanilla install with BOOT-132, but aren't familiar with Terminal. With a list of kexts, it's easy enough to see what's actually running and either pull out non-vanilla kexts or go find newer or better versions on the forums using the search tool, to make your own driver kit for installing Retail Leopard. This tool is simply a button you can push to get a list to help you get started and searching for existing drivers thanks to the abundance of resources on the forums. Obviously it's not an extremely useful tool, but I find it handy and if you're new at this it's nice to have push-buttons apps like this. Judging by the number of PMs I receive asking for help, the number of people who are starting their journey to technical competency on this project aren't just a few, it's a lot. Also, I think it's kind of funny that you wrote an entire paragraph without actually finding out what the app does :)

Besides, I think we've already been over the fact that I've said - multiple times - sorry for posting it and I won't post small apps like this again, and that this thread is now about other topics. I have some horses out back you can beat if you'd like, Paige...

Dude, people who want to become developers should not need to use these tools at all. I mean, seriously, the community is in a state now where around 70% of our users are people that bring up questions like , "HEY I'VE BEEN TRYING FOR 8 YEARS NOW HOW DO I SOUND CARD" or "HOW DO I GET MAC WORKING I HAVE INTEL CPU". It's these very kinds of people that the community doesn't want or need.

So when you're making such "utilities", think about it from the perspective of some older devs or people that have to put up with such noobery all day.

The only tool on your website that I find at least slightly useful would be your disc burning utility.

Dude, people who want to become developers should not need to use these tools at all. I mean, seriously, the community is in a state now where around 70% of our users are people that bring up questions like , "HEY I'VE BEEN TRYING FOR 8 YEARS NOW HOW DO I SOUND CARD" or "HOW DO I GET MAC WORKING I HAVE INTEL CPU". It's these very kinds of people that the community doesn't want or need.

If about 70% of the users here are at that level of technical competency, then is it better to ignore the problem and complain about it, or work on providing tools that fix the problems?

Save the weak reasons for making a useless tool for the noobs. Anyone with a clue would not bother with stupid apps like kextspy when a simple kextstat issued in the terminal suffices.

You can lead a horse to the clues but it still doesn't mean that the horse will get one.

I agreed with the fact that you feel the app is not of use and said that I would not post similar items in the future, what exactly are you looking for here?