Working Wireless (USB and Ralink)

268 posts in this topic

Yes it is exactly this adapter.

I bought mine as part of a kit with a DSL-G604T router some time ago. As per NESSUS previous posts for the belkin adapter (thanks NESSUS for giving me a direction to turn to on this!) the dlink adapter also seems to only work on an open network with the tiger driver @ http://www.ralinktech.com/drivers/Mac/STA_..._2005_06_24.zip.

Mind you, OSX is pretty secure anyway, all my other machines are powermacs so I dont have security problems that windows has.

This makes my life so much easier now! :D

Just install the software, reboot, pop the usb adapter in and go to network setting. A new adapter will show up. Check settings and make sure the ip address is set to the routers address as per wired network. The RALINK software for finding networks, it didnt work for me but the usb adapter worked fine anyway.

I bought the Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter (Model#F5D7050), downloaded the drivers mentioned in this thread for tiger, rebooted, plugged in the adapter and it installed as "en1" under the Network Preferences Pane.

However, even though I plug in my wireless settings, it doesn't see the wireless network, doesn't get an ip address, and the little green light is not turned on for the adapter.

Any ideas?

I can only speak for my experience with the DWL122G. All I can think that I did in addition to what you have done was to click on all the tabs within the RALINK software, making sure that B/G was selected. Deciding that that software didnt work as I couldnt see any link I went to check the network options, left the en1 options as standard ie using DNS, and made sure the routers address was typed in. The network connections light was green, showing the IP address and both the green lights on the usb adapter were lit, with the data light flickering as I would normally expect it to.

It might be worth another reboot to see if it initialises, or replugging the adapter. I sometimes had this problem on the older DWL122 (B series) connected to an g3 ibook.

Yep, done all that. Reboots galore! :D

I even manually set the IP address for with the DNS pointing to my router and so forth. However, since I can't get the adapter to light up (except for when I plug it in, it lights up for 2 seconds), I won't be able to use it.

Hmm, strange that it would work on one system and not another.

These usb cards can be quite finicky (i have 10 of them)... I installed one in a new Windows XP Pro PC I built for someone. On my router it was fine. When I tried it out on their router (with same default IP settings) it didnt connect, so I tried a different one just out of curiosity and it worked straightaway. I put the first one i tried back in and again it wouldnt connect. I then tried it in another PC and it worked fine.

I dont know why this happened but it may be something worth taking into account.

To get my bluetooth working (a Dlink DBT-120) I changed a couple of settings in the BIOS (switched off lpt and com 1 and 2 and modem to change the IRQ resources available) and it brought the bluetooth to life. Maybe that will work for you. Incidently, the bluetooth works just as well as the integrated bluetooth on my Powermac G5 dual 2GHz.

Alternatively it may be worth putting it into different usb ports.

Ok, so we can't get WEP working. But if your AP has a custom SSID (broadcasting off) and MAC filtering, will that work? By 'open', what do people mean. Just no WEP, or do you have to have SSID broadcasting on, too?

Problem is where I live there are like 4 different SSIDs that show up lol.

Yes, I believe that if you switch off broadcasting and lock down the router to just the mac addresses of all your wireless adapters it should be more or less as secure in the respect that noone should be able to piggy back off your network. Locking down to hardware MAC addresses is always a good practice for this reason.

The only problem I see is that the data sent out could theoretically be sniffed as it is being sent out unsecured.

Belkin F5D7050

By far this is the crappiest card I have ever used. I hate all Belkin networking products.

Anywho - After fiddling with it in XP on another system, I was able to get it to connect, without WEP and with broadcasting my ID. I'll redo WEP and so forth later. However, it only worked in 11Mbps. The router was 2 feet away!

I then installed the drivers and rebooted on my Mac Mini running Tiger 10.4.2. I then plugged in the adapter and it worked fine, connecting at 54Mbps.

Since it works on my real MAC, this gives me hope that I can get it working on my MacIntel.

Yep, done all that. Reboots galore! :(

I even manually set the IP address for with the DNS pointing to my router and so forth. However, since I can't get the adapter to light up (except for when I plug it in, it lights up for 2 seconds), I won't be able to use it.

Hmm, strange that it would work on one system and not another.

setec, on my working setup, the green LED on the adapter does just that -- lights up/flashes for a brief second, but doesn't stay lit. However, it still works. Here's exactly the steps I took. Try this and tell me if it works:

After installing the driver, plug in the adapter to the USB port.

The "Wireless Network Config USB" pops up. Close it.

Open system preferences and go to the network settings.

Under SHOW --> select ETH1 (don't remember exact text, but it's the non-built-in one).

Click Configure iPv6

Click Renew DHCP Lease

Click Apply.

You should see the local IP address come up (e.g. 192.168.2.4 etc.).

Good to go. Again, no green light on the device.

Indeed, I've been unable to get the Wireless Configuration Tool to work so no WEP or even the ability to choose an AP. While certainly this isn't perfect, it's better than nothing.

Should I take my wireless enabled Compaq-Tiger to the local coffee shop and BLOW SOMEONES MIND?

:P

Nessus - Thanks!!! I got the Belkin to work just like you said.

However, the fact that my wireless network is open is unacceptable.

Has anyone had luck with the D-Link AirPlus XtremeG 2.4 GHz (802.11g) 108 Mbps USB Adapter (DWL-G132)?? I am thinking of talking the Belkin back and buying the D-Link.

Of course, there are no Mac OS Drivers from D-Link.

Also, I don't like the Belkin because of the way I have to plug it in. My gateway laptop has the USB ports in the oddest place, so not all things fit into it. So, I had to use the Belkin cord adapter that came with it.

Decisions...decisions.

The device I am using is the DWL-122G. Its a USB device using the same chipset as the belkin adapter, however all the lights are actually working as I would expect them to. One is permanently lit when it is plugged in and the other ACT light flickers as the data is transferred.

On the powerpc macs, DLink had a usb adapter called DWL-122 (without the suffic G), which ran at the older 11 mbs 'B' speed. I know for a fact that using driver 1.4.7 (i think that was the version number) worked also for about 5 other branded names too, such as the netgear wg111 adapter. I dont have one of these to try now though. Interestingly the other brands were listed in the Dlink driver file for that card.

I have a few other wireless adapters, including PCMCIA card which I may try now too.

I think the problem is the wireless configuration tool that just won't run...it is keeping us from specifying a WEP and SSID and all. However, all this pertinent info has to be stored in a file somewhere.

I wonder, maybe this file?

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist ?

Would you be kind enough to find the extension for this driver (in /System/Library/Extensions/) and run the 'file' command over it and post the output?

file usage, eg;

file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700

Cheers!

davidred do you still want someone to do this or have you been able to get it working?

I feel your pain, setec. I'm not crazy about an unsecured network either, but as has been mentioned, the problem seems to be that the configuration tool doesn't work. So I'm not sure that changing to another brand will solve anything. Do let me know if it does, though!

Is there no 3rd party software for configuring wireless networks as there is on XP? I guess not since it's Airport or nuthin!

Turning off ssid broadcast and filtering mac addresses is not a solution at all imo. It is really easy to sniff out ssid and mac addresses and clone it to get access. Google it if you want to see why/how.

Also, even if it had WEP it would not be secure either, as WEP has been completely compromised! Yep, WEP has been cracked for a long time, use only WPA to secure you network if you want to be secure (for the moment anyway).

Of course disabling broadcast, mac filtering, or wep would keep out the nosy noob neighbors, but little else.

Turning off ssid broadcast and filtering mac addresses is not a solution at all imo. It is really easy to sniff out ssid and mac addresses and clone it to get access. Google it if you want to see why/how.

Also, even if it had WEP it would not be secure either, as WEP has been completely compromised! Yep, WEP has been cracked for a long time, use only WPA to secure you network if you want to be secure (for the moment anyway).

Of course disabling broadcast, mac filtering, or wep would keep out the nosy noob neighbors, but little else.

Yeah sure WEP has been cracked, but it requires a significant amount of "interesting packets" to crack the key. On my home network with a single, lightly used wireless laptop (all the big downloading is done on my wired desktop) this will take A LONG TIME.

I know my neighbors aren't doing this, so it'd mean someone would have to be parked outside my house for several weeks.

Bah, who cares.

I just look at my AP logs sometimes and see if anyone was on when I wasn't. <_ you can edit the logs only delete them so it would be obvious if someone sniffed mac address and all. however sitting in their car at cul-de-sac front of my house to do all this probably attract cops anyway. hehe>