AnV XNU Kernel V1.4

• Please log in to reply
382 replies to this topic

Poll: AnV Kernel reliable (211 member(s) have cast votes)

Does the kernel work fine for you?

1. Yes (133 votes [63.03%])

Percentage of vote: 63.03%

2. Reasonable (47 votes [22.27%])

Percentage of vote: 22.27%

3. No (31 votes [14.69%])

Percentage of vote: 14.69%

Did the installer work fine for you?

1. Yes (146 votes [69.19%])

Percentage of vote: 69.19%

2. No, fixed it manually (40 votes [18.96%])

Percentage of vote: 18.96%

3. No (25 votes [11.85%])

Percentage of vote: 11.85%

Which cpu do you use?

1. Intel with HPET and SSE3 (83 votes [39.34%])

Percentage of vote: 39.34%

2. Intel with SSE3 (37 votes [17.54%])

Percentage of vote: 17.54%

3. Older Intel (22 votes [10.43%])

Percentage of vote: 10.43%

4. AMD with SSE3 (66 votes [31.28%])

Percentage of vote: 31.28%

5. Older AMD (3 votes [1.42%])

Percentage of vote: 1.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

perisman

perisman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
thanks, andy
with your kernel I can enable 64 bit mode with -force64 flag in amd phenom 9500, running chess and gekkbench 64 without problems, and with a better performance in geekbench

works like a charm in amd phenom, nforce4 (with applenforceata.kext modified by jalavoui booting in few seconds) with all of this work, getting closer "amd mac" friendly

thanks a lot

perisman

Konami®

Konami®

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 956 posts

idSoftware

Try another "Mac model".
May be from iMac5,1 to iMac7,1. You CPU is not for MacPro3,1.

Holy {censored}, it works... Thanks a lot cVaD :)

Attached Files

chuckcalo

chuckcalo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Does cpus=2 work with this kernel? I know it does with Voodoo Kernel.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,896 posts
Back !
1. wakeup didnt work anymore - goes sleeping=OK, but wakeing up (press keyboard) does restart, not wakeup with vanilla install.
( i have OpenHaltRestart.kext installed)
All other works. ;)
C2D, GA-EP35

EDIT: I use PC-EFI V9 , with vanilla it sleeps+wake up, no special boot flags set (i now V9 has an -nowake faeture )
I have S3 Mode (suspend to RAM).
Can it be that your enhanced new kernel has some advanced sleep (deep) features (looks for an sleepimage file for wake up) , i must configure (to an not deep sleep, supend to RAM, insted suspend to disk)
Thanks AnV !!!

Dee S. 73

Dee S. 73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
10.5.6 9g66 retail dvd , clean install so no kext mess, munky Efi partition method with just decrypt / ich plist / legacyhdaenabler and dsdt.aml with video/lan/audio/pci cards fix.
both 1.2 & 1.3 are working good here..... no problems of any kind and 1.3 give a +5/10% in all benchmark i tried ( Geekbench32/64, PI, Ogl benchmarks)
no mouse lag of any sorts and damn good 2 ms latency on my m-audio with logic 8.
Great work Anv !
peace
DS
PS : are "Febo" still there in Nl ? my gf loved to eat theyr foods.... every time we came over A'dam she used to stop @ every damn one ........ LOL

Volcacius

Volcacius

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 461 posts
How can I see if HPET is already working?

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Programming stuff for Mac OS X...
    Hacking...
    Hard rock (also really big Metallica...

How can I see if HPET is already working?

Simple, install XCode
go to /Developer/Application/Utilities
open IORegisitryExplorer.app
search for HPET.
Should contain an entry underneat named AppleHPET.
Then you'll know...

suma

suma

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks! i,ll try soon!

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...

Actually you can use all 10.5.6 kexts with the 10.5.5 kernel, except System.kext and seatbelt.kext � both of which are of no consequence to performance. System.kext sounds like it's a very important kext for the system but it has no code in it, just the symbol names and addresses. Seatbelt.kext is used for security purposes (sandboxing) and is again of no consequence when it comes to performance.

The 9.6 kernel itself, however, may result in better performance.

Thanks for you words, mate.. always learning! I was more about kernel/system.kext... it's evident that seatbelt.kext has nothing to do with performance. System.kext i did though it was more important :D never did took a good look inside all those kexts in plugins folder.
Only trying to learn with these tests.. in fact i'm more interested in the sources than in the kernel it self (so to speak), as the performance improvements are so small to me. Everyone should take a ride at Voodoobuild, so they can REALLY appreciate the work you guys have done.. that is great work!!


Hey Andy.. about Voodoobuild..

Voodoo Build 0.3.1 (10/10/2008) by Dense <slipstreamosx@gmail.com>
Project development site: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

Kernel sources: xnu-1228.9.59

[1] Processing boostrap_cmds (bootstrap_cmds-60.1)
Extracting (bootstrap_cmds-60.1.tar.gz)...
Patching (bootstrap_cmds-60.1-AnV.diff)...
Building...
Makefile:11: //Developer/Makefiles/CoreOS/ReleaseControl/BSDCommon.make: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `//Developer/Makefiles/CoreOS/ReleaseControl/BSDCommon.make'. Stop.
ERROR

.. checked ReleaseControl folder, i have BSD.make and Common.make but no BSDCommon.make??
Anyway, thanks for this.. it's the missing bit :D


Version 1.3 working fine. I used the installer this time.. it's safe, as it fixes permissions so, if you use it be ready to wait. Still no performance improvement in XBench.
I guess i'll never be able to get Geekbench to see my machine as a Mac, because "Pentium D" was never on a Mac. Though i find it odd a AMD Athlon being recognized as a MacPro with only the macmodel flag?!? :D

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,642 posts
    Hacking...

Thanks for you words, mate.. always learning! I was more about kernel/system.kext... it's evident that seatbelt.kext has nothing to do with performance. System.kext i did though it was more important :P never did took a good look inside all those kexts in plugins folder.
Only trying to learn with these tests.. in fact i'm more interested in the sources than in the kernel it self (so to speak), as the performance improvements are so small to me. Everyone should take a ride at Voodoobuild, so they can REALLY appreciate the work you guys have done.. that is great work!!


Hey Andy.. about Voodoobuild..

.. checked ReleaseControl folder, i have BSD.make and Common.make but no BSDCommon.make??
Anyway, thanks for this.. it's the missing bit :P


Version 1.3 working fine. I used the installer this time.. it's safe, as it fixes permissions so, if you use it be ready to wait. Still no performance improvement in XBench.
I guess i'll never be able to get Geekbench to see my machine as a Mac, because "Pentium D" was never on a Mac. Though i find it odd a AMD Athlon being recognized as a MacPro with only the macmodel flag?!? :D

Install my Mac Pro SMBIOS.
under /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
Set under boot arguments:
macmodel=MacPro2,1
That should do the trick... (Working on a friends AMD so...).

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,642 posts
    Hacking...

Holy {censored}, it works... Thanks a lot cVaD :)

Or use macmodel=MacPro2,1
Works even for AMD (Tried on my friends PC with an AMD Athlon64 first gen)...

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...

Install my Mac Pro SMBIOS.
under /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
Set under boot arguments:
macmodel=MacPro2,1
That should do the trick... (Working on a friends AMD so...).

I already tested your SMBIOS kext but only used MacPro3,1 and didn't worked, for Geekbench. Since it's a replacement, and i want to keep vanilla files as untouched as possible, i prefer to use Chameleonsm. When using your kernel i have to use macmodel flag because your kernel overrides the bootloader one. I was using AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext before.
But i will try it again, just for curiosity :) ... it's more "cosmetics" to me! but, i hate to look at System Profiler without it.
Will post the results later on your SMBIOS thread.. i have so much to post that i don't know were to start :)
About the Voodoobuild.. i have the latest Xcode. 3.0.0 version works fine!

Edit: You're right mate.. with MacPro2,1 kernel flag it works :D didn't even changed "biosversion". Downgrading my Mac... LoL

Edit:

Attached Files

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,642 posts
    Hacking...

I already tested your SMBIOS kext but only used MacPro3,1 and didn't worked, for Geekbench. Since it's a replacement, and i want to keep vanilla files as untouched as possible, i prefer to use Chameleonsm. When using your kernel i have to use macmodel flag because your kernel overrides the bootloader one. I was using AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext before.
But i will try it again, just for curiosity :) ... it's more "cosmetics" to me! but, i hate to look at System Profiler without it.
Will post the results later on your SMBIOS thread.. i have so much to post that i don't know were to start :)
About the Voodoobuild.. i have the latest Xcode. 3.0.0 version works fine!

NOTE: you have an older style Intel system.
In order for the HPET driver to work you have to install the older one + System.kext supplied in package.

Sure it has that option.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,896 posts
Perhaps the user means the kernel can work with cpus=2 , other kernel he must use cpus=1 to avoid kernel panic.

I dont think the kernel can fix bad coded ACPI Powermanagement parts of the bios.
Sure, he can set cpus=2 but the result will only be good if the bios has not an bad powermanagement part for the cpu.
Thats the reason why need for cpus=1 - avoid KP of using all cores in an bad bios environment.

camouflageX

camouflageX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Andy, please use something more common that sitx. And please upload it to a host where you don't have to split the files. This would make life easier. Thanks. :(

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

NOTE: you have an older style Intel system.
In order for the HPET driver to work you have to install the older one + System.kext supplied in package.

Andy.. AppleHPET.kext doesn't load with System.kext from your package:

kld(): Undefined symbols:
_hpet_register_callback
kextload: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHPET
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext
link/load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHPET.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

..with vanilla System.kext, loads fine.
I have many doubts about this HPET thing! Been messing with it lately, catching up with DSDT.. i found that i can load the kext with DSDT, if i patch DSDT with "-newHPET" but, i lose Ethernet. The strange part is, the HPET patch is exactly the same patching normaly or with "-newHPET".. i can't find any differences comparing files with FileMerge.
I also can load the kext with "kextload" and everything seems to work fine, though i don't know if it's doing anything?? I don't know if HPET is enabled on my mobo, there's no setting for it in BIOS.. i think it's not, because my PC came with XP MCE pre-installed and XP does not support HPET.
So, i really don't know if it's of any benefit for my machine?!

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,642 posts
    Hacking...

Andy.. AppleHPET.kext doesn't load with System.kext from your package:

..with vanilla System.kext, loads fine.
I have many doubts about this HPET thing! Been messing with it lately, catching up with DSDT.. i found that i can load the kext with DSDT, if i patch DSDT with "-newHPET" but, i lose Ethernet. The strange part is, the HPET patch is exactly the same patching normaly or with "-newHPET".. i can't find any differences comparing files with FileMerge.
I also can load the kext with "kextload" and everything seems to work fine, though i don't know if it's doing anything?? I don't know if HPET is enabled on my mobo, there's no setting for it in BIOS.. i think it's not, because my PC came with XP MCE pre-installed and XP does not support HPET.
So, i really don't know if it's of any benefit for my machine?!

Should work fine for you as long as you also use old AppleHPET driver anyhow + boot argument useoldhpet=1.
Works for me with this System.kext...
NOTE: it these days by default patches with -newHPET, check the source for the DSDT patcher...

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,642 posts
    Hacking...

Andy, please use something more common that sitx. And please upload it to a host where you don't have to split the files. This would make life easier. Thanks. :(

Sorry dude, got no place to upload...
Any StuffIt will do though and any Mac should have that anyhow too.

camouflageX

camouflageX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Sorry dude, got no place to upload...
Any StuffIt will do though and any Mac should have that anyhow too.

Thanks for your reply!

If I download an archive, I do not want to ...
- search for StuffIt on Google
- find the free product on the website
- enter my e-mail address
- open the e-mail and find the link
- realize that downloading the software will automatically sign me up to periodic follow up emails
- click the download link and some more clicking on the website
- wait three minutes for the download to finish
- install the software, agree to the license and enter my user password
- and finally extract the archive

When I could just ...
- download the ZIP archive, which Safari automatically extracts

I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't have StuffIt. Or at least use something not proprietary like RAR or 7Zip. Why make it more complex when it could be so easy?

As for the file hosting: There are tons of free hosters out there, like
http://www.rapidshare.com
http://www.megaupload.com/
etc.

And if everything else fails, just tell me and I will give you an FTP account to my website. Thanks! :)

Maniac10

Maniac10

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
You may download stuffit here.

@Andy: I can't use your latest kernel (v1.3), it won't load the interface, it just loops my login window. Any idea?
I'm not using HPET fix now but I've tried without success, it seems to be just the kernel the problem cause it boots fine with the older one.
Could it be the on-the-fly patcher for AMD systems? cause I remember that I had the same issue some time ago when I tried to boot an older xnu kernel with my unpatched system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy