Psystar claims Apple doesn't own rights on OS X

~pcwiz

146 posts in this topic

I hear that all the time, but Dell products (I have over 60 workstations and 15 laptops that I manage at work, which are all Dell's) have always been reliable. I've had 2 MB's (not MBP's however) fail in the time that I've had my Inspiron (with the 17" glossy LCD) - which I've had since Dec. 2005 (it didn't come with the glossy... but I was able to buy the screen and upgrade it myself for less than $100). I've also had nothing but great experiences with their support, but I understand that my experiences are not the same as someone that does not buy $20K worth of hardware from then each year.

My laptop's definitely not a speed demon any longer (it is 3 years old after all) but it still runs great at 1920X1200 and no failures or broken case pieces, etc... I'm not saying that Apples are POS's - they are fantastically made - but they're not indestructable, and now that the battery is a non-user-serviceable part... I can see them being in for service more often than before.

Yes the Precision M6400 is more money... it's also much more laptop! It supports twice the RAM that the MBP does, it has eSata and a much better video card with 1GB of dedicated RAM for video, it's battery is removeable, it has a faster hard drive (although only 160GB) - and what's more... it's CONFIGURABLE! If I'm willing to pay for it, I could get it with a QX9300 Core2Quad or with a couple of 320GB 7200RPM hard drives in an onboard RAID configuration of my choice (0/1).

I assume when you bring this up as a 'quality' comparison that you are referring to the shiny aluminum case - I can't argue with you there... in fact, I can't argue against the number one reason you probably buy a MBP in the first place... it's the same reason my wife wanted a Louis Vuitton despite the fact that a $10 bag from KMart holds just as much stuff.

Apples (all of them in fact) look better than anything else on the market - but when it comes time to upgrade my Inspiron - I may not buy a Dell... but I'm sure not going to waste my money on a MBP either. You don't have to agree... I'm used to hearing that attitude, especially from Apple fans. For me Apple is only useful for one thing, and that is maintaining and updating an OS that I enjoy using as a hobby - I'll still use Linux for anything I want stability and security for, and Windows for anything I want to do that's fun. Obviously you have chosen Apple as your preferred tool... and I'm happy for you - but not all needs are the same, and for me Apple hardware is extra money for outdated {censored} - it's an OPINION - you're welcome to disagree.

There is outdated and there is tested and reliable. Having owned alot of bleeding edge tech, I can say that I prefer something that has had the tires kicked for awhile before I buy it now. Apple is slow to update it's line for that very reason. Imagine Apple introducing a new MBP and two weeks later have to do a massive recall because the chipset had a flaw in it??? My G4 MDD FW800 is a prime example of Apple hardware. That thing will NOT die. I have upgraded the hell out of it, and still use it to this day. I have had massive hardware failures on the "PC" side. The only board I have bought that comes close to Apple's QC is my shelved Asus P4C800 Deluxe (My P5KD/WIFI is also pretty good). Apple controls the hardware config for a reason. The end user experience is much better. When I get my Mac Pro this year, this box is being retired to a Linux box (As I refuse to reload that virus named Windows-Vista).

IMHO Dell tech support is lacking (to be nice). I had a friend ask me to troubleshoot his laptop. That was a freaking nightmare. I can't see how you can call SHMELL tech support good. But, maybe you dial a corporate number that the rest of us don't have access to? I have had nothing but good experiences with Apple's support. So I guess it's a case of ymmv.

IMHO Dell tech support is lacking (to be nice). I had a friend ask me to troubleshoot his laptop. That was a freaking nightmare. I can't see how you can call SHMELL tech support good. But, maybe you dial a corporate number that the rest of us don't have access to? I have had nothing but good experiences with Apple's support. So I guess it's a case of ymmv.

Yes I think that must be the case... I've had the opposite experience (I also assume this may be because of location as well - as my Apple experiences were at the local 'genius bars' which in my mind should be put 'behind bars' as they were nothing but more sales personnel). I have to assume that Dell sends all the 'regular joes' to some India call center staffed with morons... however, when I call them I have often spoken with a tech that had input on the actual design of the server or pc I'm working on. It's too bad that money always gets you a better experience in this world - no matter what you're talking about.

ok one more time to show on this forum http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...;l=en&s=bsd this is a dell that would be possibly i say possibly cause dell is a POS.

the same quality and close to same specs the new mac boo pro 17" ......its more then 1k$ more

DO not compare some cheap ass dell hardware to the mac with out considering quality ... dell hp and compaq have higher quality too so look at those they are {censored} load more then the apple

You can't compare a hardcore workstation laptop to the new Macbook pro. The specs are not close, for one it has a T9 processor while the MBP uses a T8. Secondly it has a high end Quadro GPU, which is so many levels better than the 9600M.

You make the assumption dell uses "cheap" hardware compared to Apple, despite the fact that Apple hardware is created by Foxconn, the cheapest and most popular distributor, used by the vast majority of companies (Most hardware is just modded foxconn).

I don't see the point in arguing however, you are definately the type that sees Apple and all it creates as the epitome of quality, regardless of the truth.

Apple does not care about anyone, they are the business genius' of the century. They have created a cult in hardware, allowing them to extort their followers, for whatever reason that may be (some users do just buy for the OS, which is fantastic, might I add ;) ). Apple are currently the bane of the economy in some respects; stockpiling money rather than recycling it through expansion, increasing wages or providing jobs. The company accounts are believed to be somewhere around $15 Billion in the black, this is unprecidented and frankly sickening business practice considering the current economic climate.

You can't compare a hardcore workstation laptop to the new Macbook pro. The specs are not close, for one it has a T9 processor while the MBP uses a T8. Secondly it has a high end Quadro GPU, which is so many levels better than the 9600M.

You make the assumption dell uses "cheap" hardware compared to Apple, despite the fact that Apple hardware is created by Foxconn, the cheapest and most popular distributor, used by the vast majority of companies (Most hardware is just modded foxconn).

I don't see the point in arguing however, you are definately the type that sees Apple and all it creates as the epitome of quality, regardless of the truth.

Apple does not care about anyone, they are the business genius' of the century. They have created a cult in hardware, allowing them to extort their followers, for whatever reason that may be (some users do just buy for the OS, which is fantastic, might I add :) ). Apple are currently the bane of the economy in some respects; stockpiling money rather than recycling it through expansion, increasing wages or providing jobs. The company accounts are believed to be somewhere around $15 Billion in the black, this is unprecidented and frankly sickening business practice considering the current economic climate.

no assumption every DEll ive ever had my hands on is a POS

so what whith the CPU a mac still runs its better and will switch to the latest core when its better tested and the quadro is only better in certian senerios

Hmmm if this is going to turn into the bill gates charity Bull {censored} post then .... consider the fact that the only reason he will do this is so no one takes hiw money when he dies like the gov...... which in turn makes him greedy cuase everyone accept him is stuggling in some way to make $ and our gov keeps printing $ like its candy and making our $ worthless and gates could just leave it all to our gov and maybe we alll can stop struggling just a little but no.... greedy bastards like that get a pat of the back for finding a way to be greedy even after he is gone .... but yet apple who does biz the way they do cause a company like micro suckers exist that kills the idea of free open enterprise by stealing most every thing they have done.All just so apple can stuggle on a smaller market to make a product that people are happy with.

This is officially the stupidest post I have ever read on the web. Which qualifies you as absolutely the least intelligent poster in the history of InsanelyMac.

Congratulations.

Guys correct me if I am wrong. I thought that the boot-132 method was legal since using the legally purchased Leo DVD. If Psy-whatever is using that method could someone explain me where the problem is. I don't see any other choice for Apple to just "liberate" Leo, another cloner will find a gap in their licensure like boot-132 did and use it to make things look legal and make a lot of money. Here is what will be coming soon i guess; an Intel based PC with 2 HD ( one with Linux or wincrap installed) and something like boot-132 or vooodoo pre-installed and the manufacturer will instruct customers to purchase OS X with Apple and provide detailed procedure how to install it (which will then be as simple as insert Leo DVD here and call us if you have issues); I am not expert but this is called component standardization. (is Apple going to forbid the customer and the manufacturer for doing so? ). I don't see any problem with that and I will be the first buyer as Apple machine are out of my budget. An intel based wincrap Laptop with the same component as MacBook Pro is about $700-800, OS X is around $100, this is still less than half the price of a basic macbook.

Apple is manufacturing the best machines , no discussion, damn! they are expensive. If Apple doesn't want the market of cheap machines, someone else will occupy it. Now I understand from your discussion that Psy-whatever is illegally making profit of OS X and they should stop.

The company accounts are believed to be somewhere around $15 Billion in the black, this is unprecidented and frankly sickening business practice considering the current economic climate.

It's a publicly traded company... it's financial status is readily available.

Over 20 billion in tangible assets as of Sept '08... http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=AAPL

It's definitely NOT unprecendented either.

Wells Fargo easily surpasses that with 35 billion as of March '08... http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=WFC

Just FYI ...

Yes I think that must be the case... I've had the opposite experience (I also assume this may be because of location as well - as my Apple experiences were at the local 'genius bars' which in my mind should be put 'behind bars' as they were nothing but more sales personnel). I have to assume that Dell sends all the 'regular joes' to some India call center staffed with morons... however, when I call them I have often spoken with a tech that had input on the actual design of the server or pc I'm working on. It's too bad that money always gets you a better experience in this world - no matter what you're talking about.

Very true. I have never dealt with the "genius bar" dudes. My guess has been they are sales people and don't know {censored} about the actual workings of a Mac. I only use the phone tech support method of getting ahold of Apple and that has always been a good experience for me. And, yes I dealt with "techs" from Dell India that did not know anything about Dell laptops, much less anything computer related. (No offense to my Indian friends, I am just stating my experience with Dell's tech support which happens to reside in India). Dell must treat corporate accounts much better with letting them talk to trained techs. That's a shame.

Guys correct me if I am wrong. I thought that the boot-132 method was legal since using the legally purchased Leo DVD. If Psy-whatever is using that method could someone explain me where the problem is. I don't see any other choice for Apple to just "liberate" Leo, another cloner will find a gap in their licensure like boot-132 did and use it to make things look legal and make a lot of money. Here is what will be coming soon i guess; an Intel based PC with 2 HD ( one with Linux or wincrap installed) and something like boot-132 or vooodoo pre-installed and the manufacturer will instruct customers to purchase OS X with Apple and provide detailed procedure how to install it (which will then be as simple as insert Leo DVD here and call us if you have issues); I am not expert but this is called component standardization. (is Apple going to forbid the customer and the manufacturer for doing so? ). I don't see any problem with that and I will be the first buyer as Apple machine are out of my budget. An intel based wincrap Laptop with the same component as MacBook Pro is about $700-800, OS X is around $100, this is still less than half the price of a basic macbook.

Apple is manufacturing the best machines , no discussion, damn! they are expensive. If Apple doesn't want the market of cheap machines, someone else will occupy it. Now I understand from your discussion that Psy-whatever is illegally making profit of OS X and they should stop.

Actually using any Mac OS X disk on a non Apple Mac is against the EULA. The boot 132 method is 100% legal, just not the use of Mac OS X. Psystar was (IS?) shipping their PCs with a Retail OS X disk. Still a no-no. Even the RETAIL disks are actually UPGRADE disks. Because all Macs come with OSX. Example, your iMac came with 10.4.1 lets say. You go out and buy a retail 10.5.6 disk. It is perfectly legal for you to "upgrade" your iMac to 10.5.6 using your retail disk.

Apple does not care about anyone, they are the business genius' of the century. They have created a cult in hardware, allowing them to extort their followers, for whatever reason that may be (some users do just buy for the OS, which is fantastic, might I add :blink: ). Apple are currently the bane of the economy in some respects; stockpiling money rather than recycling it through expansion, increasing wages or providing jobs. The company accounts are believed to be somewhere around $15 Billion in the black, this is unprecidented and frankly sickening business practice considering the current economic climate.

Why is it because Apple has been smart with it's money (and not begging for bailout money like, GM, etc. the banks, etc.) are you saying they don't "care" about their customers??? I am glad Apple has stockpiled money (And so are the shareholders I am sure) because, they have that money to fall back on when sales drop. Just because a corporation has been smart, and has excess money, doesn't mean they are a evil empire. Now, Exxon and Shell, I would agree with you on that one. Apple doesn't sell a requirement for our day to day lives (like oil products have become).

I finally got all these OSs to work together on the same PC

Windows XP Pro x32 SP2

Windows XP Pro x64 SP2

Ubuntu 8.10 x64 Linux

Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard

Slackware 12.2 Linux

OpenSUSE 11.0 x32 Linux

OpenSUSE 11.0 x64 Linux

Arch Linux 64-bit

OpenSolaris 2008.11

The OpenSUSE and Ubuntu reads the MAC OS X partitions automatically, giving me access to the MAC files while runing Linux. The Windows XP gives access to MAC OS X with MacDrive 7, and MAC OS X lets the user see and access files from Windows but not Linux. This is great for cross development and testing of software intended to run under several operating systems. Only the investment in a single computer is required. One computer, and the user can run apps and develop programs for MAC OS X , Linux, Solaris, Windows, share files across partitions, which is much faster than copying over networks or copy to usb disk and then usb disk to hard disk etc..It is "EFFICIENT" to use the MAC OS X in this way. Thanks, Kalyway. Psystar is on the right track.

Guest cavallo
Well that is a tad far fetched... Psystar has balls, I'll give them that.

Without power supply platform no pc will be a mac so.......

I recently had a dream, in the dream I was at my local walmart store. While browsing thru the electronics department, I bumped in to an advertised sweet deal. This deal was like I have never seen it before. The deal read like this: NEW ACER ASPIRE LAPTOP MAC OS X EDITION, DUAL CORE, 250GB Hard drive, 2GB RAM and INCLUDES FREE CARRYING CASE - WAS $599 NOW $499. :) :) :D Is a JOKE, don't execute me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.. following this thread is like following a retard, you don't wanna watch but you just gotta see what happens next...

That said, IMO, (thats MY opinion not fact or I know what i'm talking about etc,) if apple wanted to cause a stir in the OS scene, all it needs to do is release a "PC" version of OSX. Not a full functional version like their own hardware, but more a generic version based off one of the old Panther or Tiger releases. They could then restrict the software compatability yet still give the end user the functionality of a mac for them to experiance and learn. Most people would switch given the chance, and if they know they can get the experiance without having to spend out loads of $$$ on the mac hardware, they would be more tempted to go out and BUY a mac.

My own personal story here: I installed OSx86 on my AMD X2 PC as a temporary idea as windows totally screwed me over. I used it, i fell in love with it, ditched windows totally and i'm now in the processes of saving/funding buying a 24" iMac or even a MacPro, i haven't decided yet which.

I don't get full functionality as i would with a mac, there's things on my mobo that i can't get working as there's no-one thats written anything for it yet... and i'm fine with that. I can wait for total function on my computer when i get the Mac machine from the apple store.

As for the topic in hand, Psystar are biting the hand that feeds them. They sound like a bunch of 15yo kids (no disrespect to slacker25) who think they know best and are trying to make themselves famous by any means nessecary. From the looks of their kexts they can't code for {censored} other than taking someone else's hard work and "tweeking" the code by taking out their comments and id lines in order to "improve access times" on the file..

I'm more upset over their distinct lack of programming ethics than i am over them selling second rate macs, which, i might add, are from a legal standpoint against the OSx EULA and will ultimately land them in debt and fines.

Ok, now thats the end of my own two cents.. carry on!

JJ

Ok.. following this thread is like following a retard, you don't wanna watch but you just gotta see what happens next...

That said, IMO, (thats MY opinion not fact or I know what i'm talking about etc,) if apple wanted to cause a stir in the OS scene, all it needs to do is release a "PC" version of OSX. Not a full functional version like their own hardware, but more a generic version based off one of the old Panther or Tiger releases. They could then restrict the software compatability yet still give the end user the functionality of a mac for them to experiance and learn. Most people would switch given the chance, and if they know they can get the experiance without having to spend out loads of $$ on the mac hardware, they would be more tempted to go out and BUY a mac.

My own personal story here: I installed OSx86 on my AMD X2 PC as a temporary idea as windows totally screwed me over. I used it, i fell in love with it, ditched windows totally and i'm now in the processes of saving/funding buying a 24" iMac or even a MacPro, i haven't decided yet which.

I don't get full functionality as i would with a mac, there's things on my mobo that i can't get working as there's no-one thats written anything for it yet... and i'm fine with that. I can wait for total function on my computer when i get the Mac machine from the apple store.

As for the topic in hand, Psystar are biting the hand that feeds them. They sound like a bunch of 15yo kids (no disrespect to slacker25) who think they know best and are trying to make themselves famous by any means nessecary. From the looks of their kexts they can't code for {censored} other than taking someone else's hard work and "tweeking" the code by taking out their comments and id lines in order to "improve access times" on the file..

I'm more upset over their distinct lack of programming ethics than i am over them selling second rate macs, which, i might add, are from a legal standpoint against the OSx EULA and will ultimately land them in debt and fines.

Ok, now thats the end of my own two cents.. carry on!

JJ

You are absolutely right

No one can disagree with that

Most PC users would switch if they have the opportunity to try without investing to much (i.e. installing Mac OS X on their PC)

I recently had a dream, in the dream I was at my local walmart store. While browsing thru the electronics department, I bumped in to an advertised sweet deal. This deal was like I have never seen it before. The deal read like this: NEW ACER ASPIRE LAPTOP MAC OS X EDITION, DUAL CORE, 250GB Hard drive, 2GB RAM and INCLUDES FREE CARRYING CASE - WAS $599 NOW $499. ;):lol::lol: Is a JOKE, don't execute me.

LOL

Am I hearing that you successfully installed Mac OS X on your Laptop Acer purchased at Walmart and made it a lovely Machine. so now you have an almost-MacBook for below $500. hmm not so bad idea

I love the OSX86 community and OS X in my hackintosh, however, I really hate Psystar and all his businesses with regard OS X in their product. First, OS X in PC is just a hobby, I don't really think you can make a business from OS X, the only one who do this and have all the rights is Apple. Second, the only one who at the end is going to lose is our community, right now if Apple want, they can shut down insanelymac and all these Mac clone makers. They own the rights to do whatever they want, they design, manufacture and sell Apple computers and OS X.