EasyBCD 2.0 Beta: Automated PC_EFI, CHAIN0 Installation

Computer Guru

173 posts in this topic

Great work, computer guru, i really enjoy your easybcd! i will start testing this too, (0,0) vista x64, (1,2) 10.5.6 [guid, efi_v9], (1,3) ubuntu 8.10. Anything you want to test in particular just post!

OK, tried with the system listed in the signature and have had no success. I tried with the efi mode with no success and tried to even change the partition with hfs+ error option to no avail. Also i install ubuntu and installed the bootloader to partition 3 on disk 2. I tried the linux option but my linux partition is not listed in the pull down menu. Any ideas computer guru?

I must admit it would be more convenient not to have to select the second HDD ie '81' each time I want to boot Leopard. But, its still more convenient than the F12 approach.

If Mac is on a second HD use the MBR option in EasyBCD instead of the EFI option(EFI is only for same HD with another partition)

Unfortunately, I didn't get it quite right here. :unsure:

I'm running Windows 7 beta (build 7000) on the first two partitions and Mac OS X 10.5.4 on the third one. I can use EasyBCD to create the Windows and Mac entries without any problem and it seems that all the changes I make are saved properly.

However, when I restart the computer, the boot screen, where you would be able to select an OS, is simply being skipped - instead, Windows 7 immediately boots up. I've made sure that under Advanced System Settings in Control Panel, a 5 second time-out has been set to allow the user to select an OS.

How do I get the boot screen back there? Are you sure the EasyBCD beta as linked to in the first post is compatible with current builds of Windows 7?

I tried that and got a chain boot error.

Reinstall the vista bootloader and try it

also delete the NST folder on your vista drive

do this while your in vista otherwise you mgiht have booting problems

Anyone not seeing the EasyBCD menu at boot: Please post the contents of the "Detailed" info from the EasyBCD homescreen.

Re keying in the number: This should be addressed with the next release of PC_EFI as soon as the details of the 60kb barrier are revealed.

It's not compatible with Munky's, I know :D

Oh, and you should be able to delete entries from the Vista menu with EasyBCD regardless of whether or not Vista is the active partition - don't know why you couldn't get that to work :S

Reinstall the vista bootloader and try it

also delete the NST folder on your vista drive

do this while your in vista otherwise you mgiht have booting problems

Dunno about the v2.0beta, but with earlier versions you couldn't boot OSX on a GUID partitioned drive with the mbr option, it required the efi option to work.

Unfortunately, I didn't get it quite right here. :)

I'm running Windows 7 beta (build 7000) on the first two partitions and Mac OS X 10.5.4 on the third one. I can use EasyBCD to create the Windows and Mac entries without any problem and it seems that all the changes I make are saved properly.

However, when I restart the computer, the boot screen, where you would be able to select an OS, is simply being skipped - instead, Windows 7 immediately boots up. I've made sure that under Advanced System Settings in Control Panel, a 5 second time-out has been set to allow the user to select an OS.

How do I get the boot screen back there? Are you sure the EasyBCD beta as linked to in the first post is compatible with current builds of Windows 7?

I am running into the same problem here. I have a single drive on my laptop. I first tried to install Windows 7 build 7000 and then attempted to install OSX86. Both of my partitions would not mount. So I installed OSX86 10.5.6 and then I was able to install Windows 7. I added the entry for OSX86, but I still immediately boot into Windows 7. I have tried both options.

Here is the detailed view from EasyBCD

Windows Boot Manager

--------------------

identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}

device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2

description Windows Boot Manager

locale en-US

inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}

default {1a2d3802-e1a0-11dd-adfc-94ed69d6977b}

resumeobject {1a2d3801-e1a0-11dd-adfc-94ed69d6977b}

displayorder {1a2d3802-e1a0-11dd-adfc-94ed69d6977b}

{1a2d3806-e1a0-11dd-adfc-94ed69d6977b}

toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}

timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader

-------------------

identifier {1a2d3802-e1a0-11dd-adfc-94ed69d6977b}

device partition=C:

path \Windows\system32\winload.exe

description Windows 7

locale en-US

inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}

recoverysequence {1a2d3803-e1a0-11dd-adfc-94ed69d6977b}

recoveryenabled Yes

osdevice partition=C:

systemroot \Windows

resumeobject {1a2d3801-e1a0-11dd-adfc-94ed69d6977b}

nx OptIn

Real-mode Boot Sector

---------------------

identifier {1a2d3806-e1a0-11dd-adfc-94ed69d6977b}

path \NST\nst_mac.mbr

description Leopard

Thanks for any help!

Anthony

Hi Computer Guru,

Could you tell me if this will work on WinXP or would I need to intsall Vista?

All the best

NSCXP2005

EasyBCD is just a gui for BCDedit. It needs the Vista bootloader to work, but this can be installed witout installing Vista itself. EasyBCD itself can be installed and used in either Vista or XP :D

I've used the EasyBCD software a bunch of times to speed up setup of the Vista bootloader, it works great. The new Vista bootloader is pretty powerful, but to keep size down it's not very user friendly for editing. This little app makes setup a breeze and actually encouraged me to use the Vista bootloader for primary use on my quad boot setup (OSX, Vista64, XP64, Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit).

I just recently put OSX 10.5.5 on my laptop using the iATKOS v5 DVD and that went just as smooth as could be, I tinkered with a few of the install options till I got QE (Kind of a pain as my graphics chip was put in 2, maybe 3 laptop models ever made), and all is good! Even did the 10.5.6 update online with no issues and no kexts needing to be restored from the backup.

The laptop has triple boot, XP32, Ubuntu 8.10, OSX and I can boot into any of the OSes using any of the bootloaders. I was surprised by how robust XP's bootloader was with chainloaders, it's getting a little long in the tooth now and I was happy to see a quick snap of the boot sectors from the linux and OSX partition worked great.

So you can bounce around between the bootloaders all you want, and the OSes still load perfectly. I can move the active flag to any of the partitions and the bootloader used will be able to load any of the OSes. Granted I am using a GPT, but I prefer them because of the simplicity of boot management.

Now I will try out this latest beta so I can update my desktop from 10.5.4 and get to a vanilla system. I'll report back with what I find, I'm really hoping I can mimic the behavior of the darwin bootloader on my laptop, IE. even if the OSX partition is not set to be the boot partition, it still chooses OSX to boot by default. On my desktop, the darwin bootloader always defaults to the boot partition.

great direction, still pita

had osx on one disk xp on second,... had to use bios,....

... nobody could tell me how to use the osx to boot also second disk,...

- got easybcd ,.... don't work with XP,.... need vista to install,...

- got vista on 1st partition,... get leo back,... but had to use linux system tools to activate,.... pita,...

- some old games from my son,... did not run on vista,..

- figured I install XP on second partion,... ahci is pita,.... don't have a floppy,...

- got XP running,... vista no more,... overwrote vista loader,...

- figured I restore vista install,.... the XP don't work, ntldr not found

.... back to square one,....

wish for a bootloader I can install from OSX, and edit the entries,... boot from different partitions, and disks,

and leave my installs alone. any such thing ?

Antonius, the "device" property is missing in the OS X entry for some reason.

Go to the Change Settings page and manually set the device for that entry to C:\ or whatever drive has the "NST" folder on it.

I will give that a try and report back, thanks for the help.

Salam

A.