NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

In System Preferences, have you set device for soundout to "Internal speaker, built-in speaker"?

I went there to do just that and actually in System Preferences I get "No output devices found"

Still no devices found after a couple of tries. What could this be??? I'm regretting the upgrade. ;)

I just finished putting my hardware together (see sig) and I'm looking for the best way for a noob to install 10.5.6. I tried the unmodified boot-132 iso and got as far as the purple leopard desktop but it never came out of the spinning beachball so I wasn't able to do a format or an install of any kind. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I did change the SATA bios settings to AHCI. is there a better way to go about this?? Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JB

Just a heads up to everyone.

I just installed on a HDD that would work for me.

If you follow Eliade's instructions, you can't go wrong.

Everything is working wonderfully. Updated everything to 10.5.7.

To fix the system clock, try using the following link. Worked great for me:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81164&st=0&p=907924entry907924

Just a little off-topic. My RAM is clocked at 800 mhz but I know it can do 1000mhz. Anyone know the bios settings I need to adjust to increase it?

Thanks again to everybody on this forum, particularly Eliade who did a wonderful job with his pack from May 20th.

I have to say that I previously used UInstaller and OSX86Tools for installing kexts (with chameleon installed) and with Eliade's pack I just copied the kexts to the /Extras/Extensions folder and installed 10.5.7 update, everything working great and I'm sure the system is using Chameleon kexts as it is shutting down correctly and sleeping mode works, but sound is no go. Could it be that I need to change/delete something elsewhere that OSX86Tools affected?

Strangely I've noticed my drive icon turned back to orange... even though I have the correct kext to make it look normal. The only thing I've changed recently is a new video card (BFG GTX285OC which freaking rocks by the way)

Anyhow, I just removed the kext and manually changed my icon to something unique. One more kext I can eliminate.

Strangely I've noticed my drive icon turned back to orange... even though I have the correct kext to make it look normal. The only thing I've changed recently is a new video card (BFG GTX285OC which freaking rocks by the way)

Anyhow, I just removed the kext and manually changed my icon to something unique. One more kext I can eliminate.

How did you get audio working?

OK I did manage to get 10.5.6 installed but I have a few issues:

I'm having some video anomalies when browsing web pages , scrolling or

moving windows around. I have nVidia 8800GT 512mb. It's not showing up with the proper info

system profiler so I guessing I don't have the correct kext installed for it?? I tried EFi studio

and nvinstiller with no luck. I went with the 8800 GT because it's used in MacPro's and I figured

the leopard installer would install the needed files. It seems like people ae having an easier time

getting the 9800 GT working. Any advice for getting this 8800 GT working correctly??

Also is it possible to get chameleon to boot directly to the HD chosen in the System Startup

preference panel instead of making me chose it each time on start up??

Thanks for any assistance,

jb

I went there to do just that and actually in System Preferences I get "No output devices found"

Still no devices found after a couple of tries. What could this be??? I'm regretting the upgrade. :(

When you cold start up the machine, that is, before you enter the bios, do you hear the beep? If you don't, your audio isn't connected to the mb correctly. 

I have to say that I previously used UInstaller and OSX86Tools for installing kexts (with chameleon installed) and with Eliade's pack I just copied the kexts to the /Extras/Extensions folder and installed 10.5.7 update, everything working great and I'm sure the system is using Chameleon kexts as it is shutting down correctly and sleeping mode works, but sound is no go. Could it be that I need to change/delete something elsewhere that OSX86Tools affected?

If you had been using UInstaller & OSXtools for installing kexts, is your current system/library/extension folder & your library/preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist completely unchanged? Previously, I had been using alc889a kext installed with UInstaller to get audio until I did another clean install, used Chameleon 2.0 and Eliade's pack in /Extras/Extensions as per his tutorial. The whole point is of course to not change the contents of the original folders.

If everything else fails, I'd install Windows or Linux just to see if there's still no sound in which case the problem might be to do with the motherboard. 

Trust us, UD3R is a great board. Everything you need should be right here in this thread. I hope you can solve the problem soon.

moving windows around. I have nVidia 8800GT 512mb. It's not showing up with the proper info

system profiler so I guessing I don't have the correct kext installed for it?? I tried EFi studio

and nvinstiller with no luck. I went with the 8800 GT because it's used in MacPro's and I figured

the leopard installer would install the needed files. It seems like people ae having an easier time

getting the 9800 GT working. Any advice for getting this 8800 GT working correctly??

Also is it possible to get chameleon to boot directly to the HD chosen in the System Startup

jb

(1) UInstaller already has the efi string for that 8800 GT 512 mb card. NVinstaller v52 should also get it working. 9800 GT, you have to enter the details, and you will also need to work around the iTunes/Quicktime mouse skipping. If it's working, About This Mac, Graphics/Displays should show CoreImage and Quartz Extreme as being HardwareAccelerated and Supported respectively.

(2) If I understand your meaning correctly, you need to make the change in your modified com.apple.Boot.plist in your Extra/ folder,

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

<key>-f</key>

<string></string>

In the example above, 10 = 10 seconds. 

Change it to 0 

(thanks to Eliade's post on page 28 of this thread. Checked just to make sure to credit the right guy :(

You might want to chose between volumes if you have more than one OS installed :)

If you had been using UInstaller & OSXtools for installing kexts, is your current system/library/extension folder & your library/preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist completely unchanged? Previously, I had been using alc889a kext installed with UInstaller to get audio until I did another clean install, used Chameleon 2.0 and Eliade's pack in /Extras/Extensions as per his tutorial. The whole point is of course to not change the contents of the original folders.

If everything else fails, I'd install Windows or Linux just to see if there's still no sound in which case the problem might be to do with the motherboard.

Trust us, UD3R is a great board. Everything you need should be right here in this thread. I hope you can solve the problem soon.

Great, I'll do that clean install (which I didn't want to do, but Oh well) you suggested.

This is a great board, I had 10.5.6 installed and it was working great.

I just finished putting my hardware together (see sig) and I'm looking for the best way for a noob to install 10.5.6. I tried the unmodified boot-132 iso and got as far as the purple leopard desktop but it never came out of the spinning beachball so I wasn't able to do a format or an install of any kind. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I did change the SATA bios settings to AHCI. is there a better way to go about this?? Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JB

If you used this board, then its probably a bios setting.

PS: is there any way we can grab the settings I posted in this thread and get them added to the first post? Would be easy for the noobs, that's all.

jb

Hey dude, these issues with open windows leaving trails and pages not scrolling properly are just the standard issues you will get until you install the graphics card properly. Both of the GFX cards you listed work very well. I would recommend using either UInstaller or OSX86Tools to install your GFX card string (on a clean install before doing anything else!) and not NVInject because in my experience NVInject seems to override everything else (any other kexts etc)... AND doesn't work! So it's safer just to not install it & just use UInstaller / OSX86Tools.

Also, to get Chameleon to boot straight into OS X and not have the annoying screen where you have to select a drive etc... just use UInstaller / OSX86Tools to set your boot timeout to 5 seconds... Then when booting, it will load into OS X automatically after 5 seconds. Problem solved. :(

FYI, I just was able to shave off over 1 minute in OS bootup time by modifying one of my BIOS settings.

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode was Enabled. It should be set to DISABLED to get a 30 sec boot time. I'm also dual booting XP Pro and 10.5.7.

Hopefully nobody else made that mistake but check it out just in case.

FYI, I just was able to shave off over 1 minute in OS bootup time by modifying one of my BIOS settings.

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode was Enabled. It should be set to DISABLED to get a 30 sec boot time. I'm also dual booting XP Pro and 10.5.7.

Hopefully nobody else made that mistake but check it out just in case.

I'm using it enabled, with 5 hard drives installed (and one SATA DVD drive)

Boot time is 31 seconds.

I think you were having some other issue.

I just did a clean install and no go with sound on 10.5.7. Now I try to install Leopard 10.5.2 and use Combo update for 10.5.6 and errors still. Upgrading really made me waste a lot of time. Still trying out this thing and nothing.

Any ideas on how to downgrade gracefully to 10.5.6?

I'm using it enabled, with 5 hard drives installed (and one SATA DVD drive)

Boot time is 31 seconds.

I think you were having some other issue.

I have have both SATA and IDE Hard drives. That might be the issue for me and others with mixed systems. My Sata is my main OSX drive and the IDE is a time machine drive.

Will I have problems with OS X if I switch off AHCI?

I kind of want to dual boot with Windows and I can't seem to get AHCI to work.

Actually, there is a way to fix that AHCI problem and if I remember correctly its a simple registry fix. Google is your friend!

Hi, and thanks for everybody's effort on this motherboard so far!

Now to my problem:

I've (obviously) got the GA-EP45-UD3R m/b (F9 BIOS). Everything's working smoothly, except for consistent freezes when I try to open stacks in grid mode. The screen freezes completely, mouse works, and ethernet seems to continue operating. Haven't logged in via SSH to confirm though.

I installed iPC 10.5.6 without any additional 'hacks', then updated via Software Update to 10.5.7 vanilla. I tried installing from retail DVD first, but I never came past the spinning beach ball before install promt.

My hardware is as follows:

Intel Q8400 Quad Core CPU

4GB DDR2 RAM

Gigabyte NVIDIA 9600 GT 512MB

WD 1TB IntelliSpeed SATA HDD

I've got working sound, ethernet, IDE (though I've disabled it, 'cause I don't use it), sleep, shutdown/restart. QE/CI even works, confirmed with Open GL extension viewer. For the graphics card to work, I had to enter its EFI-string in the com.apple.boot.plist, which I generated using OSx86 Tools. The card has 1 x DVI, 1 x VGA and 1 x HDMI outputs, which NVCAP string I got from a corresponding BIOS-rom I downloaded from the gigabyte website, and then extracted with NVCAP Maker. My SATA drives are in AHCI mode.

So, what's the next step?

HOW TO UPDATE TO 10.5.7 (when using retail install)

before updating you must remove: HDAEnabler, LegacyHDAPlatformDriver, LegacyHDAController found in previous kext pack and use the ones from this pack

then a simple software update will do!

you may replaces all the ones from this pack before or after the update...

Updated MAY 20: new sound kext

Pack_for_10.5.7.zip

edit May 20: I added a bunch of readme I just made, how to use this pack, tips and tricks, how to install from retail disk

don't hesitate to edit/update/add more detail to the readmes and how to's, I did it quickly and I'm sure it can be improved... then post them so that I can replace them in the pack

that will lower the number of repeated usual questions... in this thread

delete all the kext you have in your extra/Extensions and replace with the ones in this pack...

(except of course for special ones you added yourself for special hardware)

ich10 kext are not needed any more (10.5.7 fully supports ich10)

so LegacyAppleAHCIPort, LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA,

can and should be deleted (they are not in this pack)

but keep LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage (fix HD icon)

if timed sleep doesn't when firefox is running use this fix thanks to xgenius:

"Fireup Firefox, type in about:config in the address bar. It will open up the config values, after a warning.

Type in "places.frecency.updateIdleTime" in the Filter text box. You should see the parameter to 60,000. Click on the parameter and modify the value to 0. Basically, you are disabling the parameter."

----

WHAT WAS FIXED AFTER THE ORIGINAL 10.5.7 pack:

everything should be in Extra/Extensions

rear sound now works

front output audio now works

sleep now works

WHAT IS NOT WORKING YET in 10.5.7:

front microphone (never worked even before 10.5.7)

since 10.5.7, if I have a 400Mhz FBS, the system doesn't wake up from sleep... (other overclokers noticed that)

--------

if you install from scratch, use grub dfe to update up to 10.5.7 and use this pack

this pack can be used temporarily in previous version too (at least from 10.5.4 and up)

same drill

- if you use jmicronATA don't forget to disable "HD sleep" (if you don't your system will panic once and a while)

and use -f in the apple.boot.plist (or you won't get everything working)

Does audio digital out work with your package Eliade? Like coax or optical?

i'm dual booting xp and osx and I have achi disabled. Everything works perfect.

And that might work for you. For those wondering what it does:

AHCI takes the basics of the scatter/gather list concept of Bus Master IDE, and expand it to reduce CPU/software overhead and provide support for Serial ATA features such as hot plug, power management, and accessing of several devices without performing master/slave

emulation." In a nutshell, supports new features, and reduces the CPU overhead.

Hi, and thanks for everybody's effort on this motherboard so far!

Now to my problem:

I've (obviously) got the GA-EP45-UD3R m/b (F9 BIOS). Everything's working smoothly, except for consistent freezes when I try to open stacks in grid mode. The screen freezes completely, mouse works, and ethernet seems to continue operating. Haven't logged in via SSH to confirm though.

I installed iPC 10.5.6 without any additional 'hacks', then updated via Software Update to 10.5.7 vanilla. I tried installing from retail DVD first, but I never came past the spinning beach ball before install promt.

My hardware is as follows:

Intel Q8400 Quad Core CPU

4GB DDR2 RAM

Gigabyte NVIDIA 9600 GT 512MB

WD 1TB IntelliSpeed SATA HDD

I've got working sound, ethernet, IDE (though I've disabled it, 'cause I don't use it), sleep, shutdown/restart. QE/CI even works, confirmed with Open GL extension viewer. For the graphics card to work, I had to enter its EFI-string in the com.apple.boot.plist, which I generated using OSx86 Tools. The card has 1 x DVI, 1 x VGA and 1 x HDMI outputs, which NVCAP string I got from a corresponding BIOS-rom I downloaded from the gigabyte website, and then extracted with NVCAP Maker. My SATA drives are in AHCI mode.

So, what's the next step?

I booted using another boot-132 CD and got past the spinning beach ball during retail Leopard install, successfully installed retail Leopard 10.5.6, and now updated to 10.5.7. Still the same problem persists.

Can I conclude that the problem somehow lies in my graphic card setup? Because when I boot without the EFI string in com.boot.Apple.plist, stacks work without a hitch. If I'd try an injector, which one do you recommend? I'm still on the NVIDIA 9600GT 512MB.

EDIT: I forgot to enter my PSU into my H/W-info, it's a Nexus 430W Ultra Silent.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was able to get XP working with the same bios settings that I use for OS X.

However, I can't get them to boot together on the same hard drive.

Anyone know the install process for XP after I have already installed OS X and Chameleon v2 RC1?

Thanks again!