ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

@winktinkler

try to read my error reports. It may help you understand something. I tried to download some files from insanelymac but I got errors and couldn't download any file. (My local time is 09:21 PM.)

Can you disable NVidia soundcard? It might be cause of errors.

[b]Read your error report file Do not understand it

OK I was able to disable (in BIOS ... setting INT and EXT Codecs enabled

INT only enabled

EXT only enabled

all disabled

I had been in both INT and EXT mode enabled .... resulting in no audio, last errors you looked at

In INT mode enabled .... upon reboot , speaker icon disappears, and no 'POPs' or sound at all

With EXT Codec enabled ONLY, best yet (no 'real sound' but closest ... and sound assertion errors listed below)

see attached KEXTs being used ... (ones you suggested yesterday or day before )

see screen grabs also attached

Now, when I check the devices and controls, I get POP's out of the Line Out in rear via my ext speakers, but the System Profiler setting which is selected is 'Internal Speaker' 'Built In Output' ... I get Pops when I empty Trash, or when I copy paste, or change the volume slider (sometimes...) .... I get no other sounds at all with other settings..

Sound assertion errors - latest

Feb 20 09:50:27 erps-mac-pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 1128 goto handler

Feb 20 09:50:27 erps-mac-pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 2791 goto Exit

tmongkol tried to attach this post 126 above in reply to you

see screen grabs inside attached file also using Mac Grab utilty prog

Now, when I check the devices and controls, I get POP's out of the Line Out in rear via my ext speakers, but the System Settings Audio which is selected is 'Internal Speaker' 'Built In Output' ... I get Pops when I empty Trash, or when I copy paste, or change the volume slider (sometimes...) .... I get no other sounds at all with other settings..

OK here is attached file(s) - Kexts_in_use___Screen_Grabs.zip

1. in the HDAEnabler.kext .... what determines the Pinconfig values ? pasted here from the kext in use (your suggestion 2 days ago)

Pincofig field from hdenabler suggested by tmongkol in 1.6.xxxx post for alc888

1090A090 2090A102 80308101 90402102 30401101 40100101 50600101 60200101 70614B01 A001CB01

I have tried How To Pinconfig tutorial several times but not able to finish ...

I am also attaching the Windows Vista registry fields, before conversion using Diabolik, and after conversion

I am also including in same attachment my Linux Dump with working audio ... Archive.zip

And the specific Windows Vista registry portion I used to generate the values using Diabolik HDA verb converter

Archive1.zip

I think I am close ... as per my explanation on prior post ...

Thanks for help ...

tmongkol tried to attach this post 126 above in reply to you

see screen grabs inside attached file also using Mac Grab utilty prog

Now, when I check the devices and controls, I get POP's out of the Line Out in rear via my ext speakers, but the System Settings Audio which is selected is 'Internal Speaker' 'Built In Output' ... I get Pops when I empty Trash, or when I copy paste, or change the volume slider (sometimes...) .... I get no other sounds at all with other settings..

OK here is attached file(s) - Kexts_in_use___Screen_Grabs.zip

1. in the HDAEnabler.kext .... what determines the Pinconfig values ? pasted here from the kext in use (your suggestion 2 days ago)

Pincofig field from hdenabler suggested by tmongkol in 1.6.xxxx post for alc888

1090A090 2090A102 80308101 90402102 30401101 40100101 50600101 60200101 70614B01 A001CB01

I have tried How To Pinconfig tutorial several times but not able to finish ...

I am also attaching the Windows Vista registry fields, before conversion using Diabolik, and after conversion

I am also including in same attachment my Linux Dump with working audio ... Archive.zip

And the specific Windows Vista registry portion I used to generate the values using Diabolik HDA verb converter

Archive1.zip

I think I am close ... as per my explanation on prior post ...

Thanks for help ...

@ winktinkler

I will study your case and answer you tonight. (My local time now is 11.00 am.)

@tmongkol

Here is my ALC883 kexts. I hope you'll help me...:(

@Whiplasher

Can you get me your Codecdump and what your PC is?

Can you use headphone if you are using Windows?

Did you choose a device for sound output as a following picture? post-93383-1235230563_thumb.jpg

Can you listen to music when you are using such iTune?

I have to ask you many questions.

@winktinkler

I looked at your pictures and it seemed to be working. I have questions. Can you hear any sound when you choose an alert sound? They are different sound.

Do you know what Internal Codec and External Codec are? Like, Internal Codec is for Nvidia or Realtek. The manual didn't tell me anything.

I tried Codecverbs that you edited as address 1 , and it could work on ALC889A (EP35-DS3P).

Maybe you try to edit codecverbs as address 0.

From your picture, your Device ID is 0x38421006. Your Subsystem ID is 0x10ec0000.

My Device ID is 0x1458A002. Based on my ALC998A codecdump, Subsystem ID is 0x1458a002.

---------------------------

Feb 20 09:50:27 erps-mac-pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 1128 goto handler

Feb 20 09:50:27 erps-mac-pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 2791 goto Exit

I have no idea and experience about these errors. So, I could not tell you what would be causes.

--------------------------

tmongkol, thank you for reply above, appreciate you looking at my case, take your time.

Here are more files in case they can be of help .... Hareware reports generated in Windows Vista Ultimate

some additional information from Everest reports software . Hardware Information ... subsections in text mode included in this zip file ... for computer, multimedia, video etc.. note the 3 audio sub sections ....

Archive_Everest_Hardware_Reports_Sub_Sections_in_TXT_mode.zip

@winktinkler

I looked at your pictures and it seemed to be working. I have questions. Can you hear any sound when you choose an alert sound? They are different sound.

NO 'real sounds' only POP's ...when alert happens or I move slider ... volume control

Do you know what Internal Codec and External Codec are? Like, Internal Codec is for Nvidia or Realtek. The manual didn't tell me anything.

I think External Codec must be 'Realtek' (

sound pops work with EXT codec chosen in BIOS via LIne Out on rear pc, but picture shows Internal Speaker chosen very few Suound assertion errors as per my last post showing those

POP's do not work if INT codec chosen in BIOS with a lot of sound assertion errors showing,

POP's work if BOTH INT and EXT codecs chosen in BIOS, with sum of both sound assertion error sets ...

I tried Codecverbs that you edited as address 1 , and it could work on ALC889A (EP35-DS3P).

Maybe you try to edit codecverbs as address 0.

How do I do this? what edits ? where?

From your picture, your Device ID is 0x38421006. Your Subsystem ID is 0x10ec0000.

My Device ID is 0x1458A002. Based on my ALC998A codecdump, Subsystem ID is 0x1458a002.

Should I edit my address into a plist file? which one?

THANKS for this ...

below pasted more 'concise' INFORMATION about my system, and Audio Codec files ... without you having to look thru the other files I sent before to find .... maybe will help you understand better ...

PASTED SYSTEM INFORMATION ETC. BEGINS HERE ............ OR ATTACHED My_Hardware_Signature_Info.txt

Motherboard Properties:

Motherboard ID 10/03/2008-113-YW-E115-8A61QEV9C-00

Motherboard Name EVGA E115

Motherboard Properties:

Motherboard ID 10/03/2008-113-YW-E115-8A61QEV9C-00

Motherboard Name EVGA E115 (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video,

Chipset Properties:

Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 730

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Multimedia: SEE BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION AUDIO PCI PnP at bottom

Audio Adapter nVIDIA HDMI @ nVIDIA MCP79/7A - High Definition Audio Controller

Audio Adapter Realtek ALC888/1200 @ nVIDIA MCP79/7A - High Definition Audio

[ nVIDIA MCP79/7A - High Definition Audio Controller ]

Hardware ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AC0&SUBSYS_10063842&REV_B1

[ nVIDIA HDMI ]

Hardware ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001

[ Realtek ALC888/1200 ]

Hardware ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_10EC0000&REV_1002

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, 2666 MHz (10 x 267)

Motherboard Name EVGA E115 (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video,

Gigabit LAN)

Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 730i

System Memory 3840 MB (DDR2-800

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (1024 MB)

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (1024 MB)

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i (256 MB)

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i (256 MB)

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i

Controller

Storage:

IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Storage Controller JMicron JMB36X

BIOS Properties:

System BIOS Date 10/03/08

Video BIOS Date 09/20/08

Award BIOS Type Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Award BIOS Message Release Number IP7AUZ0W

DMI BIOS Version 6.00 PG

----------------------------

Graphics Processor Properties:

Video Adapter EVGA e-GeForce 8500 GT

GPU Code Name G86GT (PCI Express 1.0 x16 10DE / 0421, Rev A2)

GPU Clock (Geometric Domain) 513 MHz (original: 500 MHz, overclock: 3%)

GPU Clock (Shader Domain) 1026 MHz (original: 1020 MHz)

Memory Clock 399 MHz (original: 400 MHz)

--------[ PCI / PnP Audio ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nVIDIA HDMI @ nVIDIA MCP79/7A - High Definition Audio Controller PCI

Realtek ALC888/1200 @ nVIDIA MCP79/7A - High Definition Audio Controller PCI

--------[ HD Audio ]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ nVIDIA MCP79/7A - High Definition Audio Controller ]

Device Properties:

Device Description nVIDIA MCP79/7A - High Definition Audio Controller

Device Description (Windows) High Definition Audio Controller

Bus Type PCI

Device ID 10DE-0AC0

Subsystem ID 3842-1006

Revision B1

Hardware ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AC0&SUBSYS_10063842&REV_B1

[ nVIDIA HDMI ]

Device Properties:

Device Description nVIDIA HDMI

Device Description (Windows) NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Device Type Audio

Bus Type HDAUDIO

Device ID 10DE-0007

Subsystem ID 10DE-0101

Revision 1001

Hardware ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001

[ Realtek ALC888/1200 ]

Device Properties:

Device Description Realtek ALC888/1200

Device Description (Windows) Realtek High Definition Audio

Device Type Audio

Bus Type HDAUDIO

Device ID 10EC-0888

Subsystem ID 10EC-0000

Revision 1002

Hardware ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_10EC0000&REV_1002

Monitor Dell E152FP [15" LCD] (6418043B2KXH)

I have no idea and experience about these errors. So, I could not tell you what would be causes.

@tmongkol

Yes, when i'm in WINXP headphones are working well...

About the Sound Properties in System Preferences- i have no those options (Headphones, Line out, Internal Speakers etc...)...

Well, only the front panel is working...

@Whiplasher

remove AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from /System/Library/Extensions folder. Install ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext into /S/L/E again.

Hello all, and thanks so much Tmongkol for all of your work and help! Thanks!

Ok, so I'm a bit of a n00b, I've got my GA-EP45T-DS3R working pretty sweet, last item is getting sound to work, which I plan to primarily use with FinalCut Studio 2.

I've read this thread now from beginning to end, but have to admit I'm still confused how to do a 1-2-3 installation. Like I said, my system is working great, last thing I want to do now is boink my system up.

Would it be too much to ask for a "Getting Sound to Work for Dummies"? I've downloaded the files listed in the first post, not sure which one to use for my system (my guess is 1.6.2A37, 33HD because I do want Digital Output). Which kext files installed now do I have to remove? Do I need to edit any info.plist files? Do I need both a new AppleSMBIOS.kext and "SMBIOEnabler.kext", and if so, where do I get them, as the link on the first post is not working at this time?

I do spend a lot of time studying and learning the "0Sx86" ways so that I will be able to do things myself and later help others, but like I said, at this point, I really don't want to end up with a non-functioning system, so a "quick installation" guide for total and complete morons would be awesome.

Thanks,

Mammoth

@tmongkol

No, unfortunately it didn't work without Azalia Audio. I have deleted these kexts and put AppleHDA and ALCInject but it didn't help. I turned back Azalia and line out stared working...But the headphone jack- ... x_x

@Whiplasher

I think AppleAzaliaAudio.kext will work only output.

Did you try to get Codecdump from Linux? And get Taruga patcher.

@Mammoth

If your front audio supoorts HDA/Azalia, not AC'97, you may choose n1. Otherwise, choose n2.

Using KextHelper to install AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext and wait a minute after that restart your system.

I recommend to use AnV AppleSMBIOS.kext (see my signature) since you may hear popup crackling sound.

@winktinkler

When you're starting up your system, can you see like this picture? I would like to see if you can take a picture.

post-93383-1235398635_thumb.jpg

As you see my EP35-DS3P, 8086 293E is HDA controller and 1458 A002 is Gigabyte audio id or device id in System Profiler.

See a codecdump picture of 889A and sound profile.

post-93383-1235399330_thumb.jpg

post-93383-1235399354_thumb.jpg

@tmongkol

No, i don't have anything like it in your first picture...Also in your third picture (System Profiler) i have this info in the "Audio (Built In)" section: No Built-in Audio. Actually, i have line out but it seems like he doesn't identify it at all...

P.S- oh sorry, i thought you posted it to me ;)

@Mammoth

If your front audio supoorts HDA/Azalia, not AC'97, you may choose n1. Otherwise, choose n2.

Using KextHelper to install AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext and wait a minute after that restart your system.

I recommend to use AnV AppleSMBIOS.kext (see my signature) since you may hear popup crackling sound.

Thanks for the help Tmongkol. I've got sound working about 85%; I have line-in (but no pass through so I can't hear what's coming in but see the level meter going), line-out, Mic. I still have more checking to do, haven't tested all combos. Mainly though, I have no digital in or out on the optical.

I will try your recommends tmongkol and let you know.

Thanks!

@tmongkol

Thanks for your help ... still no change in my system, pop's etc. as in posts on this thread ..

To answer you questions .... ( I will post screen photo later and edit into this reply...)

attached .... both kexts currently in use which i refer to in this post ... Both_KEXTS_in_use_latest.zip

@winktinkler

When you're starting up your system, can you see like this picture? I would like to see if you can take a picture.

post-93383-1235398635_thumb.jpg

Yes ... I have tried using my Hardware Address Device ID, and currently have it that way ... it is 0x0ac010de

post-336459-1235415830_thumb.jpg

As you see my EP35-DS3P, 8086 293E is HDA controller and 1458 A002 is Gigabyte audio id or device id in System Profiler.

See a codecdump picture of 889A and sound profile.

Yes, I am also using the correct address for the ALC888 in this section also, and it shows up correctly, with correct decimal value also

System_Profiler.tiff

codec_0_capture.tiff

codec_0.txt

post-93383-1235399330_thumb.jpg

post-93383-1235399354_thumb.jpg

Questions:

1. Could you post your info.plist for hdaenabler.kext - the one I am using has

this portion

<key>PinConfigurations</key>

<data>

EJCgkCCQoQKAMIEBkEAhAjBAEQFAEAEBUGABAWAgAQFw

YUsBoAHLAQ==

</data>

As well as this portion

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x04020000&0xFFFE0000 0x04030000&0xFFFE0000</string>

HDAenabler.tiff

Do you have the same in yours? or did you also change the IPPCIClassMatch key (and delete it...)

to the equivalent which you are using the the info.plist for AppleHDAController.kext info.plist file

mine is now

<string>AppleHDAController</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x0ac010de</string> NOTE that is my hardware correct address code

<key>IOProviderClass</key> from bootup (or from registry in windows Vista

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

AppleHDAController_info.plist.tiff

2. Where does the STRING (in HDAEnabler.kext info.plist COME FROM?

<string>com.kext.HDAEnabler</string>

<key>HDAProperties</key>

<dict>

<key>PinConfigurations</key>

<data>

EJCgkCCQoQKAMIEBkEAhAjBAEQFAEAEBUGABAWAgAQFw THIS STRING ...

YUsBoAHLAQ==

</data>

<key>built-in</key>

<data>

AA==

</data>

<key>layout-id</key>

3. During bootup in verbose mode, I see HDAEnabler LOAD TWICE .... (2 separate instances in the log file)

even though the kext was installed (from the 1.6.2a37 888 upload you suggested several days back, which is what I am still working with ...)

first instance

Feb 23 10:41:28 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl

Feb 23 10:41:28 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SPAudio support:Taruga

Near the end of the bootup process in versbose mode, it loads a second time

Feb 23 10:41:31 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl

Feb 23 10:41:31 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SPAudio support:Taruga

then all of the Sound Assertion errors begin .......

Why does it load twice ? Only ONE version of the kext in the Extensions folder , and the AppleHDA.kext DOES NOT have a second version of internally, or installed like in some other versions I have seen?

SystemLog_screen_capture_Hdaenabler_load_twice.tiff

4 What is the correct LAYOUT ID which should be used .... in the info.plist files (I guess the question is what is the relationship of the LAYOUT ID in the AppleHDAController section you posted in your jpgs, versus the LAYOUT ID field in the HDAEnabler.kext info.plist

pasted here ... </data> FROM HDAEnabler.kext info.plist

<key>layout-id</key>

<data>

eAMAAA== DECIMAL 78030000

</data>

pasted here <key>FuncGroup</key> FROM AppleHDAController.kext info.plist

<integer>1</integer>

<key>LayoutID</key>

<integer>12</integer>

AND finally.... from the ApplaHDAPlatformDriver.kext info.plist

pasted here THIS IS LAYOUT 0 (first one on this info.plist

which has the 888 value in it ...

<key>Layouts</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>LayoutID</key>

<integer>888</integer>

<key>PathMapRef</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>CodecID</key>

<array>

<integer>283904136</integer>

</array>

<key>Headphone</key>

<dict>

AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext_info.plist.tiff

@thorazine .. also @tmongkol

Thanks for reply,

Yes , you are correct I do ... please see post 126 and 129 and/or my hardware information in my signature BELOW AT BOTTOM OF EACH POST ...

see attached Vista windows (multiboot on this pc different hard drives ..) info Everest reports for the Multimedia section ...

Multimedia_Report.txt

see Vista Registry sections for the Different Codecs (can be used to get the Verbs etc. using Diabolik page to convert

FullHive_CurrentControlSet.reg.txt see the \PinConfigOverrideVerbs sections inside of this file, two sections, one 0000 one 0007 CODEC's ? Vista Sees

there are attached filez archive.zip i think showing the different portions of the CODEC DUMP (both Linux and Vista Registry portions included, to best of my recollection...

Also another post I disabled the INT codec on the BIOS (three options BOTH INT AND EXT ON, EXT on only, INT on only, or all off (for use with additional sound card .. (see posts regarding this above ... )

Just a guess but maybe you have 2 hda audio codecs on that motherboard, one for analog and spdif ports and another one for audio output over geforce hdmi port.

Sorry I should have quoted the post...

My point was just that if you see 2 hdaenabler being loaded on system log its prolly because it still sees 2 hdef devices.

thanks

makes sense, just wonder why it would 'still see it' if disabled in BIOS ..? but you are probably correct.

Thanks

@winktinkler

Thank you posting your PCI Devices Listing. Your listing is different from Gigabyte. I also asked someone from the thread of Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 ... to take a picture as shown below.

post-93383-1235481387_thumb.jpg

10DE 0AC0 is HDA controller id that is the same as you have.

1458 A102 is Gigabyte audio id that should be the same as Subsystem Id in Linux_Codec_Dump. But your system didn't show something like this. So, it's hard to get it done.

I was thinking your system's going to be like this. Maybe I was wrong about this.

10DE 0AC0

..........|__10063842

..................|__10DE0101

..................|__10EC0000

for Gigabyte

10DE 0AC0

..........|__1458 A102