ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

ALC889aALC898 ALC887(H87M-HD3) ALC662(945GCM-S2L)

• Please log in to reply
1152 replies to this topic

maleorderbride

maleorderbride

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Hi VCH888. I am trying to get ALC898 working on my ASUS P9X79 Pro. I have read King's guide as well as several other links from the knowledge base, but all deal with Snow Leopard--at least explicitly. Is there any guide that will teach me how to edit AppleHDA in Lion for ALC898?

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
@ maleorderbride

Please post your DSDT and codec dump from linux.

edit: got thru PM. Thanks.

Edited by VCH888, 27 February 2012 - 01:13 AM.

maleorderbride

maleorderbride

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

@ maleorderbride

Please post your DSDT and codec dump from linux.

edit: got thru PM. Thanks.

NM..I think I am making headway. If you would like assist me in getting ALC898 working I would love a post that either explains Platforms.xml ;p

Your ALCHDA is very helpful so far though--just comparing it to stock AppleHDA and other edited kexts floating around.

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

NM..I think I am making headway. If you would like assist me in getting ALC898 working I would love a post that either explains Platforms.xml ;p

Your ALCHDA is very helpful so far though--just comparing it to stock AppleHDA and other edited kexts floating around.

You may read these links and I will make it for you to try tonight.

http://revogirl.word...d-898-one-file/
http://revogirl.word...oper-preview-1/

FranticJohny

FranticJohny

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Thank you for the great work! Now I finally have a working front mic! Although I have a few questions:

1. The connection in System Preferences/Sound/Input shows a mic and switches to line in, if I plug my mic in. Why does it change? Shouldn't it stay mic? Is it because a normal mic has only two pins and my adapter has the standard 3,5mm jack, so it is recognized as line In and not as mic? Unfortunately I don't have another mic to test.

2. With the previous version I had a digital input connection. With the current version I don't. So I checked the layout885.xml and found some missing lines compared to the prev. version:

Prev. Version:

Line 16:

<key>Inputs</key>
<array>
<string>LineIn</string>
<string>SPDIFIn</string>
<string>Mic</string>
</array>

Line 315:

<key>PathMapID</key>
<integer>885</integer>
<key>SPDIFIn</key>
<dict/>
<key>SPDIFOut</key>

<dict/>

Current Version:

Line 19:

<key>Inputs</key>
<array>
<string>LineIn</string>
<string>Mic</string>
</array>

Line 312:

<key>PathMapID</key>
<integer>100</integer>
<key>SPDIFOut</key>
<dict/>

Can I add the SPDIFIn back to the new version, or do I have to modify something else? Why does doe PathMadID change to 100? I would like to read about how the whole files and layouts play together, are there some docs or threads to check on?

EDIT: OK, serious problem. I don't get AC3 or DTS stream to my receiver over SPDIF. It stays stereo. For now I'm back to the old version.
EDIT2: Ignore the first edit. I DO get AC3 and DTS over SPDIFOut. The problem was a file with 5.1 AAC which my receiver doesn't support.

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Thank you for the great work! Now I finally have a working front mic! Although I have a few questions:

1. The connection in System Preferences/Sound/Input shows a mic and switches to line in, if I plug my mic in. Why does it change? Shouldn't it stay mic? Is it because a normal mic has only two pins and my adapter has the standard 3,5mm jack, so it is recognized as line In and not as mic? Unfortunately I don't have another mic to test.

For layout885.xml, front mic is working as Line In. If you want to get front mic for microphone, you need layout8851.xml.

2. With the previous version I had a digital input connection. With the current version I don't. So I checked the layout885.xml and found some missing lines compared to the prev. version:

I removed S/PDIF In because not everyone wanted it and I didn't need it.

Can I add the SPDIFIn back to the new version, or do I have to modify something else? Why does doe PathMadID change to 100? I would like to read about how the whole files and layouts play together, are there some docs or threads to check on?

Yes, you can add it by yourself and get codec verbs of S/PDIF In from old one to replace the new one.

The number of pathmapid can be any number and is up to you. I changed to 100 because this pathmap will be used by other ALC88#, see Table_1.1.

The best reference I've known is THe King's Guide.

somara

somara

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I would just like to thank VCH888 & chime in that I finally got audio working again thanks to this thread.

I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P with some old F7 or so BIOS, an up-to-date chameleon (svn 1880 from Mar 2012) & a properly edited DSDT.aml booted from an EFI partition.

I downloaded ALC885_889a_LION.zip from the first page & mostly followed the directions. I copied the xml files as directed, but put the kernel extension onto my EFI partition under /Extra/Extensions.

Under 10.6.6 I had audio but no sleep. Now under 10.6.8 v1.1 I have both audio + sleep.

wolfienuke

wolfienuke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I really need some help here... I have been having sound issues for a while, and I cannot seem to find the problem. I either have no audio or choppy and jittery audio.

Motherboard:
GA-EX58-UD5
ALC889A

I'm looking for a simple 2-channel stereo audio setup with little kext modification. I have my unmodified DSDT and many other DSDT's that I have been trying to play around with and no luck has been found.

If anyone can take a quick look at my files and tell me what the problem may be?

Thanks so much!
-Wolfie

http://dl.dropbox.co...iedDSDTSSDT.zip
http://dl.dropbox.co...ud5_f12.dsl.zip
http://dl.dropbox.co...pleHDA.kext.zip

bigpoppa206

bigpoppa206

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

I really need some help here... I have been having sound issues for a while, and I cannot seem to find the problem. I either have no audio or choppy and jittery audio.

Did you try my fix back at http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1729255

ganxiao

ganxiao

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Motherboard:
GA-EX58-UD5
ALC889A

I'm looking for a simple 2-channel stereo audio setup with little kext modification. I have my unmodified DSDT and many other DSDT's that I have been trying to play around with and no luck has been found.

If anyone can take a quick look at my files and tell me what the problem may be?

Thanks so much!
-Wolfie

http://dl.dropbox.co...iedDSDTSSDT.zip
http://dl.dropbox.co...ud5_f12.dsl.zip
http://dl.dropbox.co...pleHDA.kext.zip

If all you need is a simple 2-channel stereo audio setup, i think use layout id 66 in dsdt would fit, cause there is no kext mod need in this case.
You will get a working line-out jack(back panel green jack) and a working headphone jack(front panel headphone jack).

Andrew+

Andrew+

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
what kext and dsdt edits should i use to get this card working with 5.1 surround sound?

thanks

in ML 10.8 GM i mean

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

what kext and dsdt edits should i use to get this card working with 5.1 surround sound?

thanks

in ML 10.8 GM i mean

Which ALC do you have?

I assume that you have ALC889a/885.

- using ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00.zip
- install ALC885HDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions
- copy *.xlm.zlib to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources
- edit your dsdt to match your desired layout, see Table.pdf
- rebuild kernel cache and restart

about 5.1? You need to create aggregate device.

D-an-W

D-an-W

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
Morning VCH888, I have been using your method on Lion since release with great success on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (ALC889a).

I am trying to gather all the files and methods I will need for Mountain Lion, could you please advise which to choose from on the updated first post (Is it this one maybe... http://www.insanelym...ttach_id=110316)?

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

I am trying to gather all the files and methods I will need for Mountain Lion, could you please advise which to choose from on the updated first post (Is it this one maybe... http://www.insanelym...ttach_id=110316)?

Please using

ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00.zip as you posted the link.

ibr4him

ibr4him

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Readme is a bit unclear -- do I have to EDIT the DSDT.aml and change the layout-ID or just find the layout-ID from it?

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
@ibr4him

edit your dsdt in Device (HDEF) section if you don't use HDAEnabler or efi-string in device properties

example : want to use layout12.xml (layout12.xml.zlib)

Device (HDEF)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
				Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (Package (0x02)
					{
						0x0D,
						0x05
					})
				}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x04)
						{
							"layout-id",
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00	  <<<  HEX of 12
							},

"PinConfigurations",
							Buffer (Zero) {}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

D-an-W

D-an-W

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
Morning VCH888, can I please confirm I did everything ok and optimally on my fresh Mountain Lion installation (ALC885/889a)?

sudo cp /ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00/AppleHDA_xml/layout12.xml.zlib /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

sudo cp /ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00/AppleHDA_xml/Platforms.xml.zlib /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/

sudo cp -R /ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00/ALC885HDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions

Using your "old" method on Lion I didn't have to edit my DSDT HDEF section for audio to work nicely, with my fresh Mountain Lion install I had to change the HDEF section to match Layout ID 12 as you posted above (the new HDEF section is much smaller with less info, is that ok?).

Old HDEF Section...
			Device (HDEF)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)  // _ADR: Address
				Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)  // _PRW: Power Resources for Wake
				{
					Return (Package (0x02)
					{
						0x0D,
						0x05
					})
				}
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
				{
					Store (Package (0x0A)
						{
							"built-in",
							Buffer (One)
							{
								 0x01
							},
							"codec-id",
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								 0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
							},
							"layout-id",
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
							},
							"device-type",
							Buffer (0x10)
							{
								"Realtek ALC889A"
							},
							"PinConfigurations",
							Buffer (0x28)
							{
								/* 0000 */   0x10, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x20, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02,
								/* 0008 */   0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02,
								/* 0010 */   0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x40, 0x01, 0x01,
								/* 0018 */   0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01,
								/* 0020 */   0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01
							}
						}, Local0)
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

New HDEF Section...
			Device (HDEF)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)  
				Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (Package (0x02)
					{
						0x0D,
						0x05
					})
				}
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x04)
						{
							"layout-id",
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							},
							"PinConfigurations",
							Buffer (Zero) {}
						}, Local0)
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

I then ran the following and also Kext Utility for good measure...

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/ALC885HDA.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ALC885HDA.kext

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Following a reboot audio is working and the outputs are shown in the two attached files.

Attached Files

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,884 posts

I assume that you have ALC889a/885.

- using ALC885HDA_Lion_MLion_V1.00.zip
- install ALC885HDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions
- copy *.xlm.zlib to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources
- edit your dsdt to match your desired layout, see Table.pdf
- rebuild kernel cache and restart

Please tell me a bit more exact - its ab bit confusing which files i must copy in the HDA Ressources.
I have 889A and will use ID12 in my dsdt.
Must i copy only the layout12.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib (both not exist in my vanilla HDA) or also copy +overwrite Platforms.xml (exist)
THANKS

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Please tell me a bit more exact - its ab bit confusing which files i must copy in the HDA Ressources.
I have 889A and will use ID12 in my dsdt.
Must i copy only the layout12.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib (both not exist in my vanilla HDA) or also copy +overwrite Platforms.xml (exist)
THANKS

Which version of AppleHDA are you using?

If you are using from 10.8, you must use layout.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib.

I think you are using old AppleHDA, not from 10.8.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,884 posts
Worked. I use 10.8. Copied ID12 .zlib and platforms.zlib. Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy