ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

No, of course :D I'm on Fresh iPC 10.5.6 Final Installation :shock:

I try again, and I come back here.

Thanks a lot

Edit: I think, I make a bad things on installing kext.

I use Kexthelper for install Two Kexts : AppleHDA and HDAEnabler

After this, I repear permission with DiskUtility and reboot.

I have wrong ?

Edit 2: -f on the boot

the information has changed :

Identifiant du périphérique : 0x1458A002

Identifiant audio : 889

Appareils disponibles :

Microphone :

Connexion : Interne

Microphone :

Connexion : Prise Jack 1/8 pouce

Entrée ligne :

Casque :

Haut-parleur :

Sortie de ligne :

Sortie de ligne :

Sortie de ligne :

Sortie S/P-DIF :

Connexion : Combo

Entrée S/P-DIF :

Connexion : Combo

But I have voice with Echo, not good but better :D

I tray 1.5.7a24 3outs3ins digital regular headphone

Edit 3: on my installation of iPC, I have not install DSDT. Is it important ?

Final Edit: With Hopeless, I try another method 889a.Audio.ICH10, with ALCInject. I have good song but with cracks on mouse gesture, and co. The microphone, apparently works... I don't understand. I think ALCInject is a oldest method and your method, HDAEnable, is better.

If you have suggestion, I take this :blink: and Thanks again for your help

@Schatten

from Edit

I just restarted the system after using KextHelper to install kexts.

from Edit 2

Audio ID can be any number. It depends on how to edit info.plists.

It's strange that you got echo.

from Edit 3

As I've known, DSDT is not important for now. But it will be useful on some motherboards. For example, patching DSDT helps GMA950 of GA-945GCM-S2L to get QE/CI, rotations, and no artifacts.

from Final Edit

Actually you use the older one, you should not hear cracking sound.

hi, i need a bit of advice, i'm trying to have sound on a Acer 5930, this laptop has an ALC888, i've tried many of the available kexts including those at post#12 of this thread. All i get is always the same, the audio chip is recognized, i can see the devices and the volume control, but the chip don't emit any sound.

The laptop is using iPC 10.5.6, i include the codec dump but comparing it with others i can find on the net i don't see any difference.

Any suggestion??? thanks

alc888_dump.txt.zip

hi, i need a bit of advice, i'm trying to have sound on a Acer 5930, this laptop has an ALC888, i've tried many of the available kexts including those at post#12 of this thread. All i get is always the same, the audio chip is recognized, i can see the devices and the volume control, but the chip don't emit any sound.

The laptop is using iPC 10.5.6, i include the codec dump but comparing it with others i can find on the net i don't see any difference.

Any suggestion??? thanks

@nobb1x

I made lagacy for Acer 5930. You can use KextHelper to install three kexts in zipfile into Extensions folder. If it works, I suggest you make your own AppleHDA.kext. This is a file. legacy_for_Acer_5930_ALC888.zip Don't forget, legacy has to work with original AppleHDA.kext.

Thanks for your reply, plz forgive my ignorance with legacy kexts, do i need to use the original applehda from 10.5.6 (the same version of macos i have installed) or the 1.5.7a24 could be ok the same?

I thought i've lost the original 1.5.6 applehda, maybe i can download again the whole update and extract the kext from there if needed.

Trying with the above version (1.5.7a24) i get a long list of errors the first of them is "CORB engine stuck or response was missing" followed by many others, and the 888 is no more recognized.

i'll keep trying anyway, thank you

So if ok then i put in s/l/e back the vanilla files and create an extensions.mkext of all modded kext in extra?

Can i put the plain kext files or do i have to create extensions.mkext?

What is the advantage of the extra folder vs s/l/e?

Thanks again!

Hello,

I am most interested on answers to your questions.

Did you get any answers or feedbacks from anyone?

I am also puzzle as when to use kexts in Extra folders vs /s/l/e.

What happen if same kext exist in both Extra folder and /s/l/e folder?

What get install if modded kext in Extra folder and vanilla in /s/l/e folder with the same kext name?

Any inputs from others will be most welcome.

Thanks and have a good day

Hi, I'm having the same problem as nobb1x. I have Studio XPS, the sound devices show up in System Profiler, I can turn up, turn down, or mute the sound but nothing is emitted from any of the speakers. Using the guide from the AppleHDA tutorial I modified your kext with my own configdata. I left the pathmaps alone since they were using the same addresses. Can you also have a look at my codec dump and tell me where it's going wrong.

I have also included the Info.plist from LegacyHDAController.kext

Thanks

codec_2_hex.txt

Info.plist.txt

Hi, I'm having the same problem as nobb1x. I have Studio XPS, the sound devices show up in System Profiler, I can turn up, turn down, or mute the sound but nothing is emitted from any of the speakers. Using the guide from the AppleHDA tutorial I modified your kext with my own configdata. I left the pathmaps alone since they were using the same addresses. Can you also have a look at my codec dump and tell me where it's going wrong.

I have also included the Info.plist from LegacyHDAController.kext

Thanks

I hope the file I uploaded for you will help you get through it.

Yardie_Studio_XPS.rtf

Thanks for your reply, plz forgive my ignorance with legacy kexts, do i need to use the original applehda from 10.5.6 (the same version of macos i have installed) or the 1.5.7a24 could be ok the same?

I thought i've lost the original 1.5.6 applehda, maybe i can download again the whole update and extract the kext from there if needed.

Trying with the above version (1.5.7a24) i get a long list of errors the first of them is "CORB engine stuck or response was missing" followed by many others, and the 888 is no more recognized.

i'll keep trying anyway, thank you

You can get vanilla AppleHDA.kext from the first post.

DX58SO and ALC889

"8-Channel (7.1) Audio Subsystem

The 8-channel (7.1) audio subsystem includes the following:

• Intel 82801IJR (ICH10R)

• Realtek ALC889 audio codec

• Microphone input that supports a single dynamic, condenser, or electret

microphone" (Intel Page)

^^ is this configuration the same as the drivers posted?

or if anyone has the same mobo could u please post those

drivers?

thanks soo much

mm

Please see Working Linux Codec dump below, further in this post ...

Suggestions?

Have downloaded the ALC888 in post 12 as per your suggestion earlier in this forum.. testing it again while waiting for help ...

Similar to posts above .... things look good and show up but NO Audio ... (Audio works great on same system dual booted with Windows Vista 64, XP Pro32, or Live CD Linux Bootup)

iPC OSX10.5.6 Final, Vanilla Kernel,NVidia NForce 730i Chipset Motherboard, ALC888 Audio,

Using ExtPCIx video NVidia GeForce 8500GT 1GB

Very stable system, all other functions, video and ports working great and extremely stable, running complex programs like Photoshop etc. no problem

Have tried literally dozens of methods, posts, etc., AppleHDA patching, Legacy, Taruga, EFI, etc. etc. etc.

Can get System Profiler to show up correct Input/Outputs, and System Settings even show up with Speaker icon active, and Items in Input and Output present, sliders work, but NO Audio

My HARDWARE address for the Onboard PCI Audio information (from Bootup Screen, Hardware Level, as well as from Windows Registry Information (both Vista and XP Pro)

Device ID 0ac0

Vendor ID 10de

Class ID 0403

Address Information (also from Windows.... for the ALC888 Audio System)

--------------------------------------------

Vista Ultimate 64 Bit Information

nVidia High Definition Audio

Device Instance ID

Hardware IDs HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_10DE0101

Compatible IDs HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_10DE&CTLR_DEV_0AC0&VEN_10DE&DEV_0007&REV_1001

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_10DE&VEN_10DE&DEV_0007&REV_1001

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0007&REV_1001

Device Instance Path HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\4&2DAB3E89&0&0301

Parent PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AC0&SUBSYS_10063842&REV_B1\3&2411e6fe&0&40

Siblings HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_10EC0000&REV_1002\4&2dab3e89&0&0001

Matching Device ID hdaudio\func_01&ven_10de&dev_0007

Realtek High Definition Audio (IntAzAud)

Device Instance ID

Hardware IDs HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_10EC0000&REV_1002

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_10EC0000

Compatible IDs HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_10DE&CTLR_DEV_0AC0&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&REV_1002

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_10DE&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&REV_1002

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&REV_1002

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_10DE&CTLR_DEV_0AC0&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888

Device Instance Path HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_10EC0000&REV_1002\4&2DAB3E89&0&0001

Parent PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AC0&SUBSYS_10063842&REV_B1\3&2411e6fe&0&40

Siblings HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\4&2dab3e89&0&0301

Matching Device ID hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0888

---------------------------------

Linux Dump (working ALC888 Realtek with all the analog controls working) see attached

Codec Verbs (from Windows Vista Registry method using Madtux method and Diabolik Web Page to paste and generate this information)

see attached also

see links

insanelymac.com forum index.php? showtopic=127227

and Diabolik's Paste bin (google for that if need be, only works in Firefox etc.)

www diabolik1605 com /DHF

<01271CF0 01271D11 01271E11 01271F41 01371CF0 01371D11 01371E11 01371F41 01471C1F 01471D10 01471E21 01471F02 01571C10 01571D01 01571E13 01571F99 01671CF0 01671D11 01671E11 01671F41 01871C40 01871D98 01871EA1 01871F02 01971C41 01971D09 01971EA3 01971F99 01A71C4E 01A71D30 01A71E81 01A71F02 01C71CF0 01C71D11 01C71E11 01C71F41 01D71C2D 01D71D95 01D71E17 01D71F40 01E71C30 01E71D11 01E71E45 01E71F02>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

codec_0.txt

verbs_vista.txt

Please see Working Linux Codec dump below, further in this post ...

Suggestions?

Have downloaded the ALC888 in post 12 as per your suggestion earlier in this forum.. testing it again while waiting for help ...

Can get System Profiler to show up correct Input/Outputs, and System Settings even show up with Speaker icon active, and Items in Input and Output present, sliders work, but NO Audio

@winktinkler

Did you try 1.5.7a24 888.zip

It is similar to Gigabyte's ALC888. I think your MOBO has HDMI. What is your MOBO?

DX58SO and ALC889

"8-Channel (7.1) Audio Subsystem

The 8-channel (7.1) audio subsystem includes the following:

• Intel 82801IJR (ICH10R)

• Realtek ALC889 audio codec

• Microphone input that supports a single dynamic, condenser, or electret

microphone" (Intel Page)

^^ is this configuration the same as the drivers posted?

or if anyone has the same mobo could u please post those

drivers?

thanks soo much

mm

@mmackh

Could you get codecdump from Linux?

@winktinkler

and 1.6.2a37 888.zip, posted on #94?

It is similar to Gigabyte's ALC888. I think your MOBO has HDMI. What is your MOBO?

Motherboard EVGA nForce 730i

yes has HDMI, but I have it disabled in BIOS (using NVidia PCI3Express 8500GT 1GB video card)

I think I tried the above, but will try again ...

@mmackh

OK thanks for the suggestion ...

Tried the and 1.6.2 (also the 1.5)

with the 1.6.2 get System Profiler and Audio Controls and Speaker icon, several input and output options, but no audio ...

Could the Pin Outs from the Linux dump in my first post be used in place of the ones in the 1.6.2 file and perhaps solve the problem?

Thanks for help

Hi tmongkol, I've made the modifications to the info.plist and the HDAEnabler.kext. I also removed my audio efi string to see if that made a difference. It is still the same all the ports show in system profiler, sound control responds like something is there, but there is no audio from any port.

Here is a partial print out of the dmesg block

Boot image data set...
System audio volume set...
Platform UUID set in options...
AnV-AppleSMBIOS-28: Mac hardware platform values set!
AnV-AppleSMBIOS-28: Started...
mbinit: done
Security auditing service present
BSM auditing present
extension "com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController" cannot be foundFrom path: "uuid", 
Waiting for boot volume with UUID 2B22C572-1AE2-35EA-ABFF-62F06E922C98
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

can't find extension com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController
Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController.
HDAEnabler: Copyright (c) 2008 by Kabyl
HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SPAudio support:Taruga
Couldn't alloc class "AppleHDAController"
extension "com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController" cannot be found
can't find extension com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController
Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController.
Couldn't alloc class "AppleHDAController"
Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleAHCI/CHN0@0/IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/WDC WD5000AAKS-75A7B0 Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Untitled@2
BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2
FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1106 ID 3403 PCI now active, GUID 00219b80001b6b10; max speed s400.
Extension "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0.
Jettisoning kernel linker.
Resetting IOCatalogue.
ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.
"macmodel" boot argument found, Mac model set as "MacPro3,1"
warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.driver.AppleHWSensor
warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X
display: family specific matching fails
Matching service count = 0
Matching service count = 1
BTCoexistence feature not supported!
wl0: Broadcom BCM4328 802.11 Wireless Controller
HDAEnabler: Copyright (c) 2008 by KabylHDAEnabler: Copyright (c) 2008 by Kabyl

Sound assertion "0 != setupHostInterface()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 238 goto Exit1display: family specific matching fails

Sound assertion "0 != setupHostInterface()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 238 goto Exit1venderid: 0x8086 deviceid: 0x10cd.

Sound assertion "0 != setupHostInterface()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 238 goto Exit1
Sound assertion "0 != setupHostInterface()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 238 goto Exit1
** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **
dsmos: Initializing...
dsmos: Hook and decryption contexts set!
dsmos: Starting...

@winktinkler

and 1.6.2a37 888.zip, posted on #94?

@mmackh

hey tmongkol,

no i couldn't get a codecdump as i have absolutely no experience with linux...

if there is a simple/different way on how to do it.. i am open for any suggestions.

also if there is anyone out there with a the same mobo.. plzz

thanks

mm

hey tmongkol,

no i couldn't get a codecdump as i have absolutely no experience with linux...

if there is a simple/different way on how to do it.. i am open for any suggestions.

also if there is anyone out there with a the same mobo.. plzz

thanks

mm

@mmackh

Could you read [How To] Pinconfig for Linux users? Explain how to get codecdump.

OK thanks for the suggestion ...

Tried the and 1.6.2 (also the 1.5)

with the 1.6.2 get System Profiler and Audio Controls and Speaker icon, several input and output options, but no audio ...

Could the Pin Outs from the Linux dump in my first post be used in place of the ones in the 1.6.2 file and perhaps solve the problem?

Thanks for help

@winktinkler

Could you change codecverbs in AppleHDAController.kext? Change from 2 to 0 for all, for example 21471c10 to 01471c10. I forgot to see your address is 0.

Hi tmongkol, I've made the modifications to the info.plist and the HDAEnabler.kext. I also removed my audio efi string to see if that made a difference. It is still the same all the ports show in system profiler, sound control responds like something is there, but there is no audio from any port.

@Yardie

Could you uopload your kext?

@mmackh

Could you read [How To] Pinconfig for Linux users? Explain how to get codecdump.

@winktinkler

Could you change codecverbs in AppleHDAController.kext? Change from 2 to 0 for all, for example 21471c10 to 01471c10. I forgot to see your address is 0.

Thanks tmongkol for your help ... this is ALL using the 1.6.2 xxxxx.zip ALC888 File you suggested

Changed codecverbs as per above suggestion ... same, no 'real' audio BUT now when I reboot OR when I 'move the slider' on the speaker icon I get a CRACK sound .... before NOTHING .. so I guess some progress

In -v mode on bootup I see several 'assertion errors' ... and at the last one, I can hear the CRACK sound during bootup

I tried 'editing in' the Verb list which I obtained by pasting in my Windows Vista Registry listing into Diabolik's pastebin page, (this was from working Full Vista Audio on same pc, on other hard drive etc. installation)

It reboots in the same fashion, with sound and crack , and many more sound assertion errors listed near the end of the visible portion of the text boot. Same thing after booting up, when move slider choosing ONLY the first choice in my Output section, I can hear CRACK/POP sound for an instant

Observations... all of the above was with SMBiosResolver.kext installed ... I reverted to the Default Vanilla smbios kext, and no longer hear the crack or pop ... Meaning?

What would you suggest I do next ... (in additon to keep trying and reading more about sound assertion errors?

Getting closer (I think ...) and many thanks for your help

@Yardie

@mmackh

@winktinkler

@Yardie

Here you go. I have attached LegacyController, LegacyPlatform, a vanilla AppleHDA and HDAEnabler with the modifications you advised me on.

Yardie_AppleHDA_kexts.zip

Hi! :P

I have a Gigabyte EP45-DS4P mainboard with ALC899a.

It is running on iPC 10.5.6 distribution currently.

Tried downloading and installing "1.5.7a24_3outs3ins_digital_regular_headphone.zip".

Which results in the audio device to be detected as below:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 889

But no output devices are available. :)

Is there anything else I can do to get the sound working?

Thank you very much.

Hi! :)

I have a Gigabyte EP45-DS4P mainboard with ALC899a.

It is running on iPC 10.5.6 distribution currently.

Tried downloading and installing "1.5.7a24_3outs3ins_digital_regular_headphone.zip".

Which results in the audio device to be detected as below:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 889

But no output devices are available. :blink:

Is there anything else I can do to get the sound working?

Thank you very much.

@Ken.Liu

Could you remove (if you have them in /Extensions folder) HDAEnabler.kext, ALCInject.kext, AppleHDA.kext, and other sound drivers? Then, try install AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext again by using KextHelper and then wait a minute and restart your system.

Will it work with ALC883? I just can't force my headphone jack working... (((

@Whiplasher

Q: Will it work with ALC883?

A: No. It works with Gigabyte's ALC889A (10ec0885).

Can you upload your working kext for ALC883? I will take a look inside of AppleHDA.kext.

@Yardie

1) Try to remove Node 0x11 in Controller.kext and see what happens.

2) Try to change from IOPCIClassMatch to IOPCIPrimaryMatch (Value type as String) in Controller and find what is your PCIprimary of soundcard.

You can see properties in Windows. For example, my MOBO is EP35-DS3P, IOPCIPrimaryMatch = 0x293e8086.

For Example; Before

post-93383-1235052453_thumb.jpg

After

post-93383-1235055339_thumb.jpg

@winktinkler

Could you post errors of Sound assertion?

@winktinkler

Could you post errors of Sound assertion?

File (portion of log from last bootup yesterday, after last 'set of edits' etc. ...)

gives sound assertion errors at two points during the bootup process, the last segments in the file at the very end of the bootup process

Thanks for your help ...

Bootup_Sound_Assertion_error_messages.txt

no avail at all on Acer 5930g, i give up :) this pc is damned

tried anything no avail

the only working solution for me is the old AppleAzalia, which i include in this post for who is in the same situation. only internal speakers out, but volume control (all credits for Taruga,he did it)

Azalia.zip

File (portion of log from last bootup yesterday, after last 'set of edits' etc. ...)

gives sound assertion errors at two points during the bootup process, the last segments in the file at the very end of the bootup process

Thanks for your help ...

@winktinkler

try to read my error reports. It may help you understand something. I tried to download some files from insanelymac but I got errors and couldn't download any file. (My local time is 09:21 PM.)

Can you disable NVidia soundcard? It might be cause of errors.