ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

ALC889aALC898 ALC887(H87M-HD3) ALC662(945GCM-S2L)

• Please log in to reply
1153 replies to this topic

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:ileopod.wordpress.com
your kext is incomplete i just looked at one on mac book pro 8.2 there are xml files in Resources folder like in lion. U must edit platform.xml and layout(yourlayoutid).xml (like layout885)xml.

The guys at applelife.ru already have some modified kexts

See here exemple http://cl.ly/0V180z0j193Z2t3h2h0j (credits go to Xmedik and others at applelife.ru)

ganxiao

ganxiao

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

your kext is incomplete i just looked at one on mac book pro 8.2 there are xml files in Resources folder like in lion. U must edit platform.xml and layout(yourlayoutid).xml (like layout885)xml.

The guys at applelife.ru already have some modified kexts

See here exemple http://cl.ly/0V180z0j193Z2t3h2h0j (credits go to Xmedik and others at applelife.ru)

Thanks, iLeopard!
You're right, my kext is incomplete, I extract it from mbp2011 update pkg directly, which is not a combo update pkg.

Oddly, display turned white when connect to my Sony tv and LCD display both with new applehda kept, need further research!

But I got dual display and hdmi Audio under lion, which has a close folder structure of applehda to the one from mbp2011 update.

natasha123

natasha123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
my god guys please help me!
im trying to get 5.1 enabled on my p35-s3 motherboard
it has a 889a sound chip
im running 10.6.7 in 32bit mode
ive tried many guides but keep getting stuck
has anyone actually got this to work?
thanks
Natasha

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

my god guys please help me!
im trying to get 5.1 enabled on my p35-s3 motherboard
it has a 889a sound chip
im running 10.6.7 in 32bit mode
ive tried many guides but keep getting stuck
has anyone actually got this to work?
thanks
Natasha

I have known only VLC application supports 5.1 and I need to use "Audio MIDI Setup" to set Aggregate device. The link of "how to use Audio MIDI Setup" is on the first post.

natasha123

natasha123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
cheers for your reply.
Ive only got 1 line out in my midi settings that is my problem.
I need to plug in the front,rear and center but its only working on 1.
ive tried using dsdt with hdef, 889a layout kext with 3 outs
i either get kernal panics or it doesnt work.
Have you got it working and how?

MaLd0n

MaLd0n

...filling veins with juice of chaos...

• Moderators
  • 11,139 posts

For OS X 10.7
Only ALC885/889a

Thanksssssss

=]~

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

cheers for your reply.
Ive only got 1 line out in my midi settings that is my problem.
I need to plug in the front,rear and center but its only working on 1.
ive tried using dsdt with hdef, 889a layout kext with 3 outs
i either get kernal panics or it doesnt work.
Have you got it working and how?

try to get into single mode, press F8 and type -s

mount the snow partiiton, following last two lines of /bin/??? (I forgot them.)

type
rm -f /Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audi* and Enter

then restart

For getting KP, you should post a picture of KP so someone can help you.

HELLFISH

HELLFISH

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
So does 889a work with 10.6.7 or not? I have GA-EG45M-U2DH which uses 889a, but can not get audio to work after combo update (clean retail install, then audio works fine). I have DSDT patched like:
Device (HDEF)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
				Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (Package (0x02)
					{
						0x0D, 
						0x05
					})
				}
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x0A)
						{
							"built-in", 
							Buffer (One)
							{
								0x00
							}, 
							"codec-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
							}, 
							"layout-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 
							"device-type", 
							Buffer (0x10)
							{
								"Realtek ALC889a"
							}, 
							"PinConfigurations", 
							Buffer (Zero) {}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

I tried all kext from 1st post for 889a, and also ALC8xxHDA.kext, but none work after 10.6.7 combo udpate. I even tried using 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E, but still no good. Audio shows as device 885 in Profiler, but sound prefs show no ouput devices.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!! :P

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

So does 889a work with 10.6.7 or not? I have GA-EG45M-U2DH which uses 889a, but can not get audio to work after combo update (clean retail install, then audio works fine). I have DSDT patched like:
I tried all kext from 1st post for 889a, and also ALC8xxHDA.kext, but none work after 10.6.7 combo udpate. I even tried using 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E, but still no good. Audio shows as device 885 in Profiler, but sound prefs show no ouput devices.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!! :P

I have no problem with ALC889a after updating 10.6.7 combo. I have no idea how you got problem.

MacFanatic76

MacFanatic76

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Tmongkol, thanx a lot for the Lion-version of ALC889A !

Confirmed working, just a question - the names in the "Output" and "Input" tabs
of the "Sound" preferences are in another languages - czech/slovak or smth similar :)

F.e, under the name-section we have "interny reproduktory", "Linkovy vystup",
for which under the type-section the english names correspond "built in" and "audio line out port"

This is no problem for me, just to give some feedback
and that you know about it :D

Thank you for the great work (that you again do !) !

Posted Image

P.S. Hm, I thought it could be a permissions-problem, deleted all caches,
including the audio-ones, repaired permissions and rebooted,
but after that the audio menus are still in a foreign (to me) language :)

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Tmongkol, thanx a lot for the Lion-version of ALC889A !

Confirmed working, just a question - the names in the "Output" and "Input" tabs
of the "Sound" preferences are in another languages - czech/slovak or smth similar :)

F.e, under the name-section we have "interny reproduktory", "Linkovy vystup",
for which under the type-section the english names correspond "built in" and "audio line out port"

This is no problem for me, just to give some feedback
and that you know about it :(

Thank you for the great work (that you again do !) !

P.S. Hm, I thought it could be a permissions-problem, deleted all caches,
including the audio-ones, repaired permissions and rebooted,
but after that the audio menus are still in a foreign (to me) language :)

Do you have English.lproj in AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/ ? I have no clue about this.

RyuzakiTA

RyuzakiTA

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Hi! I have an 889a on a GA-78GM-S2H...i don't understand what kext i should install..please help me! I'm using vodoo for now but i doesn't work good..

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Hi! I have an 889a on a GA-78GM-S2H...i don't understand what kext i should install..please help me! I'm using vodoo for now but i doesn't work good..

Sorry, I cannot help AMD users.

Windows04

Windows04

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hi Tmongkol,

First, thanks for this thread, didn't know about it but provides a lot of info/kexts to help people further.

I'm running my Snow Leopard on GA-EX58-UD5 happily for some time now and have recently begun experimenting with Lion.

I have tried using your method, but have run into one problem and a question :):

Problem:
I tried installing platform/alc885.xml and the kext you provided, but it just won't work with my system :). If I boot with my modified DSDT (which does contain an audio fix -> from AZAL to HDEF) I only get 3 outputs (line out/digital out/headphones), when I boot with a normal DSDT (nothing modified), I get no sound output. I even tried booting without DSDT, but also without succes (no sound outputs)... Lion is installed on a seperate drive, although I have other drives in my computer which run Snow Leopard (and have a modified DSDT for sound).

No voodoohda/legacyhda/... is installed. Do you have any idea why it would not work?

Question:

On my Snow Leopard, I use a modified DSDT together with LegacyHDA.kext (DSDT provided by dood's instructions and LegacyHDA provided by x.di in the same thread). When running Lion, I noticed that this wasn't working anymore (probably has to do with LegacyHDA.kext, which needs to be updated for Lion support). It would be nice to see this legacyHDA.kext updated for Lion support so that AppleHDA can remain untouched and we just need to install this kext and modify our DSDT.

I will provide my DSDT and the LegacyHDA kext in this post. Maybe you can take a look at it? I'm not really an expert in these kind of things, that's why I've come to ask for your help.

Thanks in advance ;)
Windows04

Attached Files

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
@ Windows04

You need to change your Device (HDEF) as following;

[codebox]
Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (Package (0x02)
{
0x0D,
0x06
})
}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x04)
{
"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00 // this is 885.
},

"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}
[/codebox]

You cannot use vanilla AppleHDA.kext if you update to 10.6.8 (or newer). You also need to add layout###.xml and to modify Platforms.xml to match you ALC###.

Windows04

Windows04

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

@ Windows04

You need to change your Device (HDEF) as following;

Device (HDEF)            {                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)                Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)                {                    Return (Package (0x02)                    {                        0x0D,                         0x06                    })                }                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)                {                    Store (Package (0x04)                        {                            "layout-id",                            Buffer (0x04)                            {                            0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00   // this is 885.                            },                            "PinConfigurations",                             Buffer (Zero) {}                        }, Local0)                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))                    Return (Local0)                }            }

You cannot use vanilla AppleHDA.kext if you update to 10.6.8 (or newer). You also need to add layout###.xml and to modify Platforms.xml to match you ALC###.

Euh... wait I can't follow you :blink::

I have a ga-ex58-ud5 with an alc889a codec, so why do I need to insert an 885 layout in my DSDT? Can't follow you here...

And how do I change layout###.xml/Platforms.xml to match my alc889a codec? Do I just need to change PathMapId/LayoutID in layout###.xml/platforms.xml to 889A?

Sorry for my (maybe "noob") questions, but don't have a lot of experience here with audio setup...

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Euh... wait I can't follow you :):

I have a ga-ex58-ud5 with an alc889a codec, so why do I need to insert an 885 layout in my DSDT? Can't follow you here...

And how do I change layout###.xml/Platforms.xml to match my alc889a codec? Do I just need to change PathMapId/LayoutID in layout###.xml/platforms.xml to 889A?

Sorry for my (maybe "noob") questions, but don't have a lot of experience here with audio setup...

Attached File  Windows04_66.zip   15.53KB   33 downloads

I copied items from the LegacyHDA you posted to layout66.plist and Platforms.plist and then I saved them to layout66.xml and Platforms.xml. So, it should be the same you used to get ALC889a working. I hope you can understand & learn what I did.

Windows04

Windows04

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Attached File  Windows04_66.zip   15.53KB   33 downloads

I copied items from the LegacyHDA you posted to layout66.plist and Platforms.plist and then I saved them to layout66.xml and Platforms.xml. So, it should be the same you used to get ALC889a working. I hope you can understand & learn what I did.

I tried the files you've send to me, but they didn't work BUT I reinstalled Lion, changed my DSDT and added Platforms.xml/Layout885.xml to AppleHDA.kext and now it seems to work. It probably didn't work the first time because I had already experimented a lot with different audio kexts/modifying AppleHDA. But anyways, I now have surround sound on Lion!

Thank you so much for your help :unsure:.
Windows04

ITIL Prince

ITIL Prince

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
tmongkol, I just wanted to tell you I'm another happy customer of your ALC889a files for Lion. I had everything working but sound, and now it's 100%.

Great work.

HELLFISH

HELLFISH

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Well, I am a little bit frustrated with this, but I did finally get audio to work on the GA-EG45M-U2DH with 10.6.7. I'm not sure why it works though.

Stock install of 10.6, audio works with legacyhda.kext and autopatcher produced dsdt. Any upgrade of OSX causes the audio to break, even 10.6.2. So, funny thing, I can get audio to work on 10.6.7 if I delete applehda.kext and replace it with original 10.6.0 applehda.kext. Then everything works perfectly. Maybe this is because the audio on this motherboard is setup a bit differently. I was following the king's guide gathering info/dumps and game across the linux portion to cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt but this produced an error, file not found. So I went snooping around /proc/asound/card0/ and found that I do not have a codec#1, but rather codec#2.

I guess I'll keep working on this to see if I can get 10.6.7 working eventually, so I don't have to use 10.6.0 kext. It's the only thing not 100% vanilla on my OSX partition. Any pointers are welcomed, as these audio guides referenced in the initial post are quite complex.

Codec: Realtek ALC889A
Address: 2
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 1)
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0885
Subsystem Id: 0x1458a102
Revision Id: 0x100101

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy