10.4.6 Upgrade Released

skyliner34

211 posts in this topic

I changed the Info.plist as stated.

I have of course a GMA900 mobo. & 10.4.6

It gives stranges black rectangles in the screen, and sometimes I loose control over my mouse.

It happens to both the modified 10.4.5 and 10.4.6 drivers. What would be the problem/solution???

OSX86, HowTo- GMA900 graphics working on 10.4.6 Intel Mac

How to get GMA900 working on 10.4.6 with QE and CI:

From 10.4.5 kext copy this file AppleIntel915.kext to your Desktop:

Control-Click on AppleIntel915.kext -> Show Package Contents -> Contents -> open "Info.plist" (open using Text Edit or Property List Editor) Property List Editor comes with Xcode/Developer Tools.

Under IODVDBundlename change "AppleIntel915DVDDriver" to "AppleIntelGMA950VADriver"

Under IOGLBundleName change "AppleIntel915GLDriver" to "AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver"

Under IOCFPlugInTypes/ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e change "AppleIntel915GA.plugin" to "AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin"

Move these Kext's from System/Library/Extensions to your trash [select them in Finder and Cmd-Delete] (Authenicate using your Admin Password):

AppleIntel915GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntel915GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

Now copy the modified "AppleIntel915.kext" back to your system from Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app using this command:

sudo cp -R ~/Desktop/AppleIntel915.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Guest goodtime

I ran into the same problem, but it did not occur very often. There is a patched driver for GMA900 Pkg that comes with the latest 4.3 GB 10.4.6 DVD from JaS. It's on demonoid.com It runs slightly slower than my hack, but it does not seem to have the Rectacle problem. It removes all GMA950 files and patches several 915/900 plus a few more.

Another thing that I have not tried yet is using a different Frame Buffer .kext file.

I will be posting the GMA900 Pkg that I extracted from this DVD image this weekend. Look for the link at http://art5dog.com/techcast or listen to Todd's Tech Podcast, Episode 9 this weekend.

I can't post the Pkg here because of the DMCA.

• 1 month later...
MyZar,

Are you going to be adding the MacVidia Beta1Build5 to the new hack?

It would be nice for those of us that have NVidia cards.

Cheers,

L8r)

There isn't a lot of value in that because you would still have to manually edit files to include the device ID of your graphics card. I would advise against including any drivers that require user intervention to work. Incorporating community developed drivers that work without user intervention (e.g. Yukon ethernet driver) would be convenient for n00bs.

• 2 weeks later...
Same here, Widgets lost the flip effect, though the ripple effect is still there

hi, i just fixed the prob, the only solution is to replace your IOPCIFamily.kext in your /System/Library/Extensions. Don't forget to repair permissions from Disk Utility, reboot and you should have a working cube effect also the auto login

GOD bless :hysterical:

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

I've been out of it for a while, I have an osx86 10.4.3 8F1111a installation and I would like to upgrade to the latest version 10.4.6. This forum has partial answers all over the place, can someone post me a direct forum link explaining how this can be done. And a hint to where the patch might be or what to google search ! Thanks !!

The first line starts "Instructions on Manually Updating to 10.4.6 from a working 10.4.4/10.4.5 Installation, Intel Chipset " would it work for my current 10.4.3 8F1111a install or do I have to install 10.4.4 then to do the upgrade (or best install 10.4.6 one time). Thanks for the link !!

• 3 weeks later...
Partial Patch Solution for 10.4.6

Step 1 - Backup your files

a. Start up into single user mode (-s).

Mount the file system with the commands on the screen.

b. Backup the Kernel:

cd /

cp mach_kernel mach_kernel.bak

c. You should backup your Extensions folder as well.

Step 2 - Download the files you need.

a. Download the 10.4.6 Intel update from Apple.

b. Download the original decrypted files that you will need to put back in order to boot.

I've taken the liberty of commenting out the lines as needed in the replace.sh so it will

run regardless of OS version.

http://tinyurl.com/nryyo

c. Uzip the file above to a folder that is easily accessible from the root of the filesystem.

Step 3 - The install

a. Mount and run the 10.4.6 Intel update you've downloaded.

The install will fail at 50% of "Optimizing" and freeze your computer.

b. Manually restart your computer and boot into single user mode using your BACKUP kernel.

"mach_kernal.bak -s"

c. Put back your old kernel into place:

cd /

cp mach_kernel.bak mach_kernel

d. Go to the folder where you extracted the decryped files. Run replace.sh

./replace.sh

e. run the command: update_prebinding -root / -force

f. Assuming no errors, Restart using the reboot command! -or- redo step d & e.

These steps will get you to a booting 10.4.6 -- however if you watch carefully the messages in

verbose mode, you will see some things are failing. Also, you may want to restore some of your

backup kext's, as I've noticed by ATI video card no longer has QE and CI working.

Hopefully some of you pro's can update this method to make it work perfectly.

I tired this method and now all I get is a shell prompt. I cannot boot into ISX. I have tried redoing steps d & e several times, I get no errores with either but still no OSX.

Can anybody help me? I dont want to have to format, I have to much data on this machine.