[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

One other random, anal, perhaps bad thing i do - is install kexts using kext helper and then run the kext utility.

So...Moving on to working audio....my system audio is always at loudest and i have to dial down whatever the applications i'm using are.(adjusting the system audio does nothing. Muting, or anywhere in between.) I've tried the Voodoo audio and corresponding syspref tray, to no avail. I'm also running all the same kexts as ponjop - and still have the same issue.

Yes I have the same problem, so 3 issues are, shutdown, reboot and audio (audio is partially working, built in mic doesn't work)

tried that as well. No dice.

Edit -

So uh, it does work. Odd. The only difference i can think of offhand is my work dock with it's external monitor/handful of usb devices.

Whats everyone elses' setup?

Okay, how'd you get sleep to work? With no dock or USB devices plugged in, sleep does not work.

Okay, how'd you get sleep to work? With no dock or USB devices plugged in, sleep does not work.

I have an E6400 with 4 Gigs of Ram with 10.6.1, vanilla kernel.

Alright - forgive me if i am too redundant or basic in my explanation, but the littlest things matter.

I have Cham RC 3 on a sepeterate partition than SL.

In Said Extra's folder, i have essentially what ponjop uploaded previously. The only differences being that my UUIDs are in the SMBIOS and UUID kext. If you need that explained, i'll be happy to.

The only thing i kept fom my original extra's folder is my apple.com.boot.plist (which, for your benefit i will post below in text format).

As mentioned elsewhere, i know this next step isn't necessary - but some part of my brain thinks that it makes things better(10.4 days....now, it has a distinct possibility of making them worse). I install the Extensions from that Extra folder to the S/L/E using Kext Helper b7. After that(and any time i modify kexts) i run the SL Kext Utility to rebuild my caches,etc.

Thats all i can think of for now. If anything else pops up into my mind, i'll let you know.

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32</string>\
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,3)</string>
<key>EHCIacquire</key>
	 <string>Yes</string>
	 <key>UHCIreset</key>
	 <string>Yes</string>
	 <key>USBBusFix</key>
	 <string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Another Random thought - does anyone know how to get OSX to output dual monitors from a laptop? It'd be nice to get dual monitors out from our laptop (via the dock). I've tried just using InsomniaX and closing the lid - to no avail. A bit of light googling has not yielded anything useful.I know for normal Macbooks, since they only output via one port you have to get a device that splits the signal that is sent - but since our Hackintoshes have several video outs - you'd think it'd just be configuring the kext for the right pci port? Thoughts?

dual display with dock, nv dual 0.2

at least on 10.5.4

does SL, work with the touchpad ?

mine does not work, until sleep wake ...

and does sleep / wake work with SL

is the SL 10.6 install from scratch / fresh or an update ?

guess should give it a try, please send pm, for some hints,

and I'll test, the dual display dock, also have wifi draft N working 1510N mini

thanks

Searched all over. I know Intel 5100agn is not working (hopefully that will change:)) but I seem to read it that the IDT HD audio I should be able to get working on my Latitude E6500. So far I have not been able to put all the puzzle pieces together to make that happen. Maybe someone could help me out?

Thanks,

iamwally

Searched all over. I know Intel 5100agn is not working (hopefully that will change:)) but I seem to read it that the IDT HD audio I should be able to get working on my Latitude E6500. So far I have not been able to put all the puzzle pieces together to make that happen. Maybe someone could help me out?

Thanks,

iamwally

Did you try the VoodooHDA kext in ponjop's extra folder a little earlier in this same forum?

Hi,

I have installed Leopard 10.5.7 on my new Dell E6400.

The mac os x will not boot properly without the modified boot-132 cd.

So now i'm looking for the proper kext to get everything working without using the boot-132 cd.

I would deeply appreciate a zip file with all of my relevent kext and short explanation how to install them.

My main features: (system Dell E6400)

Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD With Express Card

Intel WiFi Link 5100

Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module

Thanks.

I tried copying that VoodoHDA.kext to my extras folder and no luck. Was I supposed to do anything else?

Thanks,

iamwally

You'll need to put it in your Chameleon folder (possible with the AppleHDA kext in his same extras folder) and THEN rebuild the extensions.mkext (this is the file OSX uses to load your drivers). Use this utility to do so. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

Hi,

I have installed Leopard 10.5.7 on my new Dell E6400.

The mac os x will not boot properly without the modified boot-132 cd.

So now i'm looking for the proper kext to get everything working without using the boot-132 cd.

I would deeply appreciate a zip file with all of my relevent kext and short explanation how to install them.

My main features: (system Dell E6400)

Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD With Express Card

Intel WiFi Link 5100

Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module

Thanks.

The Kext files have nothing to do with your needing boot132. Kext files are essentially drivers, telling your system how to handle the wifi card, or the video card,etc. To boot into OSX you need a boot manager. Google Chameleon RC2(or read the first page of this thread).

There's a fix for the volume control on Snow:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183321

Also fixes the internal mic on mine. Woo!!!

Sweet! I'm in 7 Right now until i find a way to output two monitors from the dock(with the lid closed) so i'll have to try this later.

Can someone upload all kext for mac os 10.5.7 on Dell E6400?

Thanks guys.

All the kexts you need for a (mostly) functioning system are back a page or so. ponjop uploaded his extras folder.

Anybody have any useful information on outputting to dual monitors with your laptop closed? I have the E6400 dock. Links, walkthroughs, whatever would be useful.

You'll need to put it in your Chameleon folder (possible with the AppleHDA kext in his same extras folder) and THEN rebuild the extensions.mkext (this is the file OSX uses to load your drivers). Use this utility to do so. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

The Kext files have nothing to do with your needing boot132. Kext files are essentially drivers, telling your system how to handle the wifi card, or the video card,etc. To boot into OSX you need a boot manager. Google Chameleon RC2(or read the first page of this thread).

Thanks for your fast replay.

I'm using Easy-BCD to dual boot win7 and mac os x.

do I also need the Chameleon RC2?

Thanks

Thanks for your fast replay.

I'm using Easy-BCD to dual boot win7 and mac os x.

do I also need the Chameleon RC2?

Thanks

Technically, no. If you like putting a cd in every time you boot, go for it. All Chameleon does is let you pick your OS (without a cd) and load some kext's for OSX.

Okay, so I've finally got Win7 and Snow Leo playing nicely side-by-side using EasyBCD.

Now, I'm curious if anybody has gotten the lid switch working on the E6400. Is this an SMBIOS config, or a kext? I tried the "ClamShell.kext" I found on this site, but nothing happened.

I don't care as much about sleep/shutdown/restart (none of them work, still), as long as I can put my display to sleep when I close the lid.

Technically, no. If you like putting a cd in every time you boot, go for it. All Chameleon does is let you pick your OS (without a cd) and load some kext's for OSX.

Thanks again.

I've searched for a Chameleon RC2 tutorial and got lost.

it would be nice if you could give me a step by step guide how to install Chameleon RC2 in my EFI partition. (Does Win7 need this EFI partition (GPT) or thats only for mac os x?)

do i need to modify this file com.apple.Boot.plist?

as you see i'm confused.

thanks

Okay, so I've finally got Win7 and Snow Leo playing nicely side-by-side using EasyBCD.

Now, I'm curious if anybody has gotten the lid switch working on the E6400. Is this an SMBIOS config, or a kext? I tried the "ClamShell.kext" I found on this site, but nothing happened.

I don't care as much about sleep/shutdown/restart (none of them work, still), as long as I can put my display to sleep when I close the lid.

Did you manage to boot mac os x directly using Easy-BCD?

When I try to do it i'm getting a message i should restrart the computer.

Honestly, Using all of that extra's folder you can sleep etc. Disable the screen though, why? I think you're after the same thing i am with the dual monitors. To answer your question with my SL install, the screen closing initates sleep - so if i use Insomnia to prevent that, it then prevents the display from turning off...

Thanks again.

I've searched for a Chameleon RC2 tutorial and got lost.

it would be nice if you could give me a step by step guide how to install Chameleon RC2 in my EFI partition. (Does Win7 need this EFI partition (GPT) or thats only for mac os x?)

do i need to modify this file com.apple.Boot.plist?

as you see i'm confused.

thanks

I don't know how you did your Partitions.I personally make 3 partitions from the OSX installer, one a gig for Chameleon (which is overkill in size, but whatever). One for 7 and One for OSX. I then install them in whatever order. If your setup is similar, you would install Chameleon to the spare partition you made. If not, Chameleon can run from the OSX partition. Let me know how you have that set up and i can offer better instructions.

Did you manage to boot mac os x directly using Easy-BCD?

When I try to do it i'm getting a message i should restrart the computer.

He isn't using it to DIRECTLY boot OSX. What actually happens (if it's like mine) is that 7 Boots up and then gives you your boot options which then takes you to Chameleon which loads OSX.

Honestly, Using all of that extra's folder you can sleep etc. Disable the screen though, why? I think you're after the same thing i am with the dual monitors. To answer your question with my SL install, the screen closing initates sleep - so if i use Insomnia to prevent that, it then prevents the display from turning off...

I don't know how you did your Partitions.I personally make 3 partitions from the OSX installer, one a gig for Chameleon (which is overkill in size, but whatever). One for 7 and One for OSX. I then install them in whatever order. If your setup is similar, you would install Chameleon to the spare partition you made. If not, Chameleon can run from the OSX partition. Let me know how you have that set up and i can offer better instructions.

I've created 3 partitions.

1-EFI 200 MB

2-OS x 20 GB

3- WIn7 55 GB

Should I install Chameleon on the EFI partitions? or on the os x?

Thanks for your help

He isn't using it to DIRECTLY boot OSX. What actually happens (if it's like mine) is that 7 Boots up and then gives you your boot options which then takes you to Chameleon which loads OSX.

1. If I can get SYSTEM sleep working, then I'll be happy with sleeping my computer AND display when I close the lid. I move around a lot and take my laptop with me, and I've set up dual external monitors in some locations, which does work in Windows (EDITED - Chameleon enables external monitors on DVI, VGA and DisplayPort, but OS X only detects one, not two...that was a misleading statement). So if I can turn off the internal display without sleeping the system for temporary transports I'll be happy.

2. EasyBCD creates a file that's read by the Windows 7 bootloader and loads the OS X partition (in my case, Chameleon). I'm happy with this functionality for now until I get VirtualBox or VMFusion set up, at which point I may blow away my Windows partition altogether.

I'm still at a loss with system sleep, even using all the kexts described in this thread. There has to be something I'm missing, like a .plist somewhere that needs to be modified (or has been modified that I don't know about). I really don't want to have to start from scratch, but if nobody else can offer anything besides "the kexts used here," then I guess I'll have to.

...I've set up dual external monitors in some locations, which does work thanks to Chameleon. So if I can turn off the internal display without sleeping the system for temporary transports I'll be happy.

...system sleep, even using all the kexts described in this thread. There has to be something I'm missing, like a .plist somewhere that needs to be modified (or has been modified that I don't know about). I really don't want to have to start from scratch, but if nobody else can offer anything besides "the kexts used here," then I guess I'll have to.

Not to detract from your issue - but you have dual monitors separate from your internal monitor working???

When i say "use the kexts here" i mean ONLY. No additional. Period. At all. Is that your situation? Also, vanilla kernel etc.

Not to detract from your issue - but you have dual monitors separate from your internal monitor working???

When i say "use the kexts here" i mean ONLY. No additional. Period. At all. Is that your situation? Also, vanilla kernel etc.

Sorry, that wasn't OS X, that was for Windows. Since I can't make the lid switch work, I can't test dual external monitors in OS X.

I am running almost completely vanilla, except for kexts that I've set up in Extras/Extensions based on what other users have said work. My dsdt.aml was pulled straight from onboard ACPI DSDT and patched using fassl's DSDT patcher. I haven't added anything except the Dell Bluetooth kext and an additional AppleWWAN kext (in IOSerialFamily.kext), which seemed to have no impact on the rest of the system save for making those two items work.

I guess I should ask, do I need to REPLACE IOUSB and IOPlatform, instead of just putting them in Extras/Extensions? Could that be why sleep isn't working for me?

EDIT: Okay, I am, in fact, a dumbass. I replaced IOUSBFamily.kext in S/L/E (renaming original to .BACKUP), rebooted and...sleep works.

EDIT 2: Alright, ClamShellDisplay.kext entered into S/L/E gives me lid sleep. I haven't gotten clamshell MODE to work, but lid sleep is fine with me. Last but not least, now that everything else is working, I can focus on SDHC and PC Card. Before I install something that may potentially break my system, does anyone have any suggestions for Cardbus and the SD reader for 10.6.1? (Thanks in advance.)

Working:

Camera

Audio/Mic (Voodoo driver, PCM 0 controls system volume, PCM #1 Record level controls mic volume, PCM #1 Microphone #2 input must be selected)

Graphics QE/CI (Chameleon GraphicsEnabler)

Sleep (Replacement IOUSBFamily.kext in S/L/E)

Lid Sleep (ClamShellDisplay.kext in S/L/E)

Novatel 5720 Mobile Broadband card (Added modified WWAN driver to IOSerialFamily.kext, identifies as serial modem)

Keyboard, trackpoint, touchpad (minus scroll/multitouch)

Ambient light sensor - Is it possible to make the brightness control OSD work?

Bluetooth (DellBluetoothHCI.kext in Extra/Extentions)

Todo:

Shutdown/Restart

SDHC reader

PC Card

I've created 3 partitions.

1-EFI 200 MB

2-OS x 20 GB

3- WIn7 55 GB

Should I install Chameleon on the EFI partitions? or on the os x?

Thanks for your help

You have a similar setup to myself. I have Chameleon Installed in the "EFI" partition, and you shouldn't have any issues then either.

Sorry, that wasn't OS X, that was for Windows. Since I can't make the lid switch work, I can't test dual external monitors in OS X...

EDIT: Okay, I am, in fact, a dumbass. I replaced IOUSBFamily.kext in S/L/E (renaming original to .BACKUP), rebooted and...sleep works.

EDIT 2: Alright, ClamShellDisplay.kext entered into S/L/E gives me lid sleep. I haven't gotten clamshell MODE to work, but lid sleep is fine with me. Last but not least, now that everything else is working, I can focus on SDHC and PC Card. Before I install something that may potentially break my system, does anyone have any suggestions for Cardbus and the SD reader for 10.6.1? (Thanks in advance.)

Todo:

Shutdown/Restart

SDHC reader

PC Card

One thing to keep in mind is that when it sleeps then wakes, your Gigabit Ethernet will not function (a bit of a deal breaker for me since i need access to my company's network shares).

I don't use my card reader so i can't speak to if mine works or not, have you tested the pc card slot to verify that it doesn't see what you put in?

It really,really would be swell to get dual monitors out. This is the only reason i live in 7 right now (i have two lcds and then keep the laptop lid closed and tucked under the wood shelf the stands sit on)

As for dual monitors, I'm wondering if it's possible to make clamshell mode work like it does on the real MacBooks (close lid without sleeping and switch to external display only), then attach a second monitor and see what happens. But clamshell mode needs to work first. Right now it just goes right to sleep on lid close.

I'm sure it can work. I didn't know it wasn't working. Sweet. Now something we can fix that might get us the dual monitors out.