[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

• Please log in to reply
1405 replies to this topic

kennyp

kennyp

Just a hack

• Donators
  • 244 posts
Who is the Munky......You da Munky!
I works, it works, it works!!!!!!!
I had finally gotten my Asus P5Q to work Retail using 132cd, and was looking at using a usb....... then I found this thread.
It worked 100% first time. Installed on one of my external drives and it booted up with no issues.
Cool I can now get some sleep.......no wait.......the laptop is yet to be retail......stumped on that one........so far......the talk about system.kext has given me an idea

Thanks........and I'll keep you posted on the progress
Kenny

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
heh nice one mate.

please can u post the list of kexts in your /System/Booter/Extensions directory? did u use System.kext?

BigKahuna : please try with a *minimal* set of kexts - ie dsmos, disabler, smbiosenabler.

Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 303 posts
reinstalling now. will post progress.

krassi Vassev

krassi Vassev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hi Munky,
I only have Vista installed on my "Zepto"-laptop. I've tried your iso and boot with it, than I replaced the "Retail" into CD-ROM and after "press any key.....", I hit F8 and I've got the options to write a command. So far, so good. I really don't know how to determinate "X" and "Y", or uuid. Is there any way to do that in Vista. Thanks in advance.

kennyp

kennyp

Just a hack

• Donators
  • 244 posts

Hi Munky,
I only have Vista installed on my "Zepto"-laptop. I've tried your iso and boot with it, than I replaced the "Retail" into CD-ROM and after "press any key.....", I hit F8 and I've got the options to write a command. So far, so good. I really don't know how to determinate "X" and "Y", or uuid. Is there any way to do that in Vista. Thanks in advance.

For your "X" and "Y" you should be able to do a "-s" boot from DVD and do "diskutil list disk0s1" and it will give you your partitions. It being a laptop I guess you only have one disk, so we know "X"="0". If more than one disk (external?) it may be "diskutil list disk1s1"......just be sure you find the right one.

Also, this must be done on a disk partitioned "guid" not "mbr"......if only Vista, you may be using mbr.
Hope it helps.

Munky,
Will post full list of kext later today
Kenny

colorfuel

colorfuel

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hello,

I did try your method on a EP35-DS4 but I had no luck.

Is there a way to restore chameleon bootloader, as I used that before? I can still boot with 132 so nothing is lost, really.

Thank you for the effort. Later I'll be making backups so that I can reinstall and retry your method. Maybe I did something wrong.

Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 303 posts

Hello,

Is there a way to restore chameleon bootloader, as I used that before? I can still boot with 132 so nothing is lost, really.

Thank you for the effort. Later I'll be making backups so that I can reinstall and retry your method. Maybe I did something wrong.

What types of errors are you getting? I'm asking since we have similar hardware.

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
harrobbed: if u can still boot with boot-132 then just boot up and reinstall chameleon.

Nick14

Nick14

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
An other success only problem is My mac adress is 0:00:00:0 or something like that

btw it's the precore P4HT DC7100 SFF

kennyp

kennyp

Just a hack

• Donators
  • 244 posts

Hello,

Chameleon bootloader. There is a version found here that will install it on your hard drive.

OldPoem

OldPoem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Working with 10.5.0 Retail Disc. But after install 10.5.5 Combo Update it hangs when boot.

Still looking for Solution. Only 4 kexts in EFI Booter - dsmos , ps2nub , PMDisabler , SMBIOSEnabler

looking good so far just need some more polished bootloader.

kennyp

kennyp

Just a hack

• Donators
  • 244 posts
OK the Asus P5Q is working, this method works great!
The list of kext placed in the Extensions folder are:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext
AppleAC97Audio.kext
AppleACPIPlatform.kext
AppleAHCIPort.kext
AppleAPIC.kext
AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
AppleGenericPCATA.kext
AppleHDA.kext
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
AppleNForceATA.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
AppleSMBIOS.kext
AppleVIAATA.kext
dsmos.kext
HDAEnabler.kext
IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext
IONetworkingFamily.kext
NVkush.kext
SMBIOSEnabler.kext

I have placed them in a handy dandy zip, so you can just drag them over to your Extensions folder. P5Q 2.zip

All the kext were not needed for my board, but should be good to get most systems to boot. (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI w/P35 or P45 chipset.

Munky, I did not need system.kext on this install.

I still have issues with 1) Sound; ACL1200 -not apple supported 2) Video ATI Radeion HD3650 not apple supported 3)On board ethernet - installed Netgear GA311.
I have had to (so far) install sound & video after install....not vanilla anymore....so I'll keep working on it before I change over my main drive.

Kenny

krassi Vassev

krassi Vassev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Thank you Kennyp for your advice, I'll try it tonight.

Crawley

Crawley

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Finally works on asus p5b...
I tried last night without success, but it turns out that, somehow, my dfe usb pendrive was halting boot all the time. today I just removed it from USB port and to my surprise I got successfull boot :)

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
LOL nice one Crawley :-)

shatterhenner

shatterhenner

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
hi...

reporting success here with 10.5.4 retail disc on p4/2.8/i865 hehe ;-)
set up 10.5.4 with bladerunners iso
doin the efi partition magic....thanx munky and the devs, amazing work
reboot with prepared efi partition voodoob1
update to 10.5.5
and reboot with voodoo95a7 for the first time
reboot and fine ;-)

question:
can we quick edit (installl/deinstall) kext on efi partition??

thanx

Neonkoala

Neonkoala

Neon Prowess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
Anyone know how to load this from the Vista bootloader? I would like to keep Vista in the mbr for various reasons. I tried extracting the boot0 MBR and loading it from the Vista bootloader but it just cycles back to the MBR. Will chain0 be able to see the EFI partition for booting?

Crawley

Crawley

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
got it working' perfect!
tnx for the awesome work!
is there a way to boot automatically selected partition? (My Os X is installed on the third partition and I want to boot it as default system) i've read something about UUID but I'm not quite sure that I understand it...

roidm

roidm

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

question:
can we quick edit (installl/deinstall) kext on efi partition??

thanx

open a terminal and type

sudo -s
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI (X=EFI disk)
killall Finder

you will see the EFI partition mounted in your desktop

to unmount

sudo umount -f /Volumes/EFI
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
oldpoem : some people have reported u need to boot with -f the first time after updating to 10.5.5 - give it a shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy