• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

bigxmac

bigxmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Has anyone successfully unbrick the card after bricking it? Mine does not show up with lspci any more, ath_info -d <base_address> does not work any more because the driver isn't loaded.

dazzerjp

dazzerjp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

You don't need to rebrand this card!!! Check out my posts here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156272&st=0&gopid=1101087&#entry1101087

But you have to use KisMAC to get it running and that sucks big time.

I thought by doing this, OSX will see the card natively, so no need for KisMAC

Am I worng then?? Still need KisMAC even after rebranding

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

But you have to use KisMAC to get it running and that sucks big time.

I thought by doing this, OSX will see the card natively, so no need for KisMAC

Am I worng then?? Still need KisMAC even after rebranding

If you rebrand it successfully, you don't need kismac.

dazzerjp

dazzerjp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

If you rebrand it successfully, you don't need kismac.

thanks x10 for the reply kizwan.

iam writing this in unbunto, just about to rebrand it. I just cant live wit the flakiness of KisMAC. Got it working, but too unstable.

cheers

bigxmac

bigxmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I just bought a broadcom 4311, but I am still interested in any info regarding reviving the atheros.

It seems to me that the device isn't enumerated any more, so it the config space foo-barred? Is there anyway to write the old dump? is the old <base memory> still valid?

BTW does anyone know if samsung NC10's bios has any black/white list?

dazzerjp

dazzerjp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
A quick update for any that are interested.

Success! Working on EEEPC1000H.

Because the 1000H doesn't have a DVD I havent to go around the houses a little to get Ubuntu loaded.

A few other changes

"Third Step: Install ath_info

To get it type:
svn co http://svn.madwifi.org/ath_info/trunk ath_info"

change to
svn co http://svn.madwifi-p.../ath_info/trunk ath_info

------------------------

Change to the directory:
cd ath_info/

And install it:
make
make all

And install it:
make install

----------------------
EEPROM showed support for only 802.11g so I used
004e for b/g cards

and it worked.

Rebooted into XP and it found AR5000X and installed drivers.
I also went into device manger and did the show all devices reg hack and removed all WiFi adaptors and then rescanned for new, and XP picked it up again.

OSX terminal > lspci -vvnn
returns...

01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Unknown device [106b:004e]

Im now reinstalling leo 10.5..5 to clean the ktexts out.

Will update when completely finished.

Thanks to iHack and kizwan

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Thanks to iHack and kizwan

You're welcome....but I didn't do anything. :o Anyway, congratulation!

kizwan

sama7896

sama7896

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi !
I'm trying to rebrand a atheros 5006eg from a eeepc 701
I'm stuck at ath_info -d 0xfbef0000
This gives me an error : Mac version 0xffff is not supported.

What can i do to bypass this ?
Thanks

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts
Please keep us informed about sucesses, anyone has really get rid of kismac after doing this? If it works why people who pick original Atheros Airports 001c and plug on theyr laptops cant boot either?

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Please keep us informed about sucesses, anyone has really get rid of kismac after doing this? If it works why people who pick original Atheros Airports 001c and plug on theyr laptops cant boot either?

There are a couple of factor why even the original apple airport (wireless card) not working when put in hack. The differences of BIOS & chipset that control pci bridges need to take into account why it not working. There also a lot of people manage to get original apple airport working in their hack without any modification.

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts
And this is presumed or we really have success histories?

doktaphex

doktaphex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I'm completely bemused, I have done all steps listed here and my eeprom dump shows all the correct changes, however lspci still shows the original info about my card.

I am using a samsung nc10 with an atheros AR5007EG card. I guess I'll reinstall OS X and see if all is well.

EDIT: I just remembered that when I boot into windows all IDs are shown as original unmodified IDs, can anyone explain why my eeprom dump shows the changes even after several reboots but lspci and windows show the original IDs. I would greatly appreciate any and all answers.

EDIT 2: Now I'm really confused, after several more reboots my card has changed in windows to an AR5006x and all IDs are now showing as modified. Now if only I could get a OS X installed again.

doktaphex

doktaphex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Ok folks, I now have OS X reinstalled on a spare drive, it's the JaS NC10 OSX86 DVD and obviously I am using a Samsung NC10. Now I managed to boot once with my newly modified card, the first time I got a panic, and now every boot results in a panic. The attatched screenshot shows my dilema, I would greatly appreciate any help you guys might be able to give.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I have tried booting with -x flag but I get the same error.

Attached Files

• Attached File  osx.jpg   524.57KB   70 downloads

doktaphex

doktaphex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Ok I now am able to boot correctly with 10.5.7 update, ethernet is now working thanks to the kext in 10.5.7.

My problem now is that in networkprefs plist I have my ethernet as en0 and airport as en1, however in system profiler it shows them the other way around, I have heard that having airport as en1 is sometimes the key to success. My card shows up but cannot find any networks. do you think that it would work if I could get the airport to be en1?

EDIT: So i managed to get the airport as en1 and ethernet as en0 but it still just endlessly scans and finds nothing, guess its time to buy a dell 1390 card.

LiquidSnake

LiquidSnake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Main Leader IsiX OS GNU/Linux Distribution - http://isix-os.org<br />Founder Winsucks.or...
[FIXED] error: im not able to write to the device.

ive booted a livecd, backtrack3 wich has already the ath_pci module and also ath_info installed.

so now im tryin to write my ids to the card, and no way.

anyone knows any clue to fix this:

ath_info -f -g 3:0 -w 0xdfc00000 0085 280 (note the -f to force and not need of type yes)

<lot of code>
#ERR do_write_pairs: offset 0x0085: wrote 0x0280 but read 0x0200

bt ~ #

FIXED:
use instead of -g 3:0 ->>> -g 1:0
this changes the priority and for me works great.

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

ath_info -f -g 3:0 -w 0xdfc00000 0085 280 (note the -f to force and not need of type yes)

<lot of code>
  #ERR do_write_pairs: offset 0x0085: wrote 0x0280 but read 0x0200

bt ~ #

EDIT: Ignore this reply since you have found the solution.

Have you try to write with other GPIO (-g) value? Please read ath_info.c file for more information.

kizwan

LiquidSnake

LiquidSnake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Main Leader IsiX OS GNU/Linux Distribution - http://isix-os.org<br />Founder Winsucks.or...

EDIT: Ignore this reply since you have found the solution.

Have you try to write with other GPIO (-g) value? Please read ath_info.c file for more information.

kizwan

Many thx for your quick answer, now i have the card looking like:
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
lspci -v :
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device 0086
	Flags: fast devsel
	Memory at <unassigned> (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
	Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
	Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Mask- TabSize=1
	Capabilities: [100] #168c
	Capabilities: [001] #1c16
now i have this on dmesg: (same as before rebranding.)
ath_attach: devid 0x1c
unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-314.43.1/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:516] loaded unsuccessfully

any suggests?

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

lspci -v :
	   Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device 0086
	   Flags: fast devsel
	   Memory at <unassigned> (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
	   Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
	   Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
	   Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
	   Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Mask- TabSize=1
	   Capabilities: [100] #168c
	   Capabilities: [001] #1c16

Looks like successful rebranding, but I don't have any idea why it still not working. I assume you have tried cool-boot your laptop, right? Maybe you can try to boot to windows (if you have dual boot with windows), turn on your wireless card & reboot to OS X.

kizwan

LiquidSnake

LiquidSnake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Looks like successful rebranding, but I don't have any idea why it still not working. I assume you have tried cool-boot your laptop, right? Maybe you can try to boot to windows (if you have dual boot with windows), turn on your wireless card & reboot to OS X.

kizwan

fail! i dont have any other os than osx on the wind. the backtrack i have it on a sdcard (wireless spoofing - aircrack-ng)
the card seems to work well on linux

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts

Ok I now am able to boot correctly with 10.5.7 update, ethernet is now working thanks to the kext in 10.5.7.

My problem now is that in networkprefs plist I have my ethernet as en0 and airport as en1, however in system profiler it shows them the other way around, I have heard that having airport as en1 is sometimes the key to success. My card shows up but cannot find any networks. do you think that it would work if I could get the airport to be en1?

EDIT: So i managed to get the airport as en1 and ethernet as en0 but it still just endlessly scans and finds nothing, guess its time to buy a dell 1390 card.

Can you post your syslog (just maximize terminal and then) :
syslog |grep ath
and after:
syslog |grep io8

Paste both. I guess that you are having the same isues people are getting on the modded kexts. It would be great also that someone paste here the io80211family.kext from the 5007EG macbooks so we could compare if there is also something different on their plugin kexts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy