• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

clockworx

clockworx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
I don't know if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but I had a few more questions:

1) Should extensions from the initrd image show up in the Extensions list in System Info? I'm trying to fix my PS2 trackpad, and I know PS2 support is loaded, but I don't see any of the PS2 extensions (ACPIPS2Nub, PS2Controller,etc) listed in the Extensions list.

2) Are there any permissions requirements for the initrd image? I was adding IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext to the image, and it won't appear from there, however it works fine when I add it to my regular /System/Library/Extensions folder. I even got it working in the regular Extensions folder, then moved it to initrd, but it still doesn't seem to want to work.

Fourof4

Fourof4

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Should extensions from the initrd image show up in the Extensions list in System Info? I'm trying to fix my PS2 trackpad, and I know PS2 support is loaded, but I don't see any of the PS2 extensions (ACPIPS2Nub, PS2Controller,etc) listed in the Extensions list.

Kext for trackpad and keyboad are plugins of ApplePS2Controller.kext

So you will see them in ApplePS2Controller.kext/Plugins

alanlcarlos

alanlcarlos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Solution for who copied the AppleACPIPlatform.kext for pen and exactly thus it does not obtain to use Keyboard mouse PS2 and the system does not restart.

In USB BOOT-132 the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and its plugins I had that to modify the number of the version in the archives info for a higher version of the one than of the system. Without the modification the system ignored of pendrive for being old version.

Sorry! Translator by Wiget Leopard

r1shot

r1shot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
stickpin

Just want to let you know that I am using the usb stick method to boot all reg mac bootable DVD/CD/USB on my laptop to take care of things. Just boot the usb. exchange or select boot device and voila. Save a lot of time!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR VALUABLE EFFORT

I don't know if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but I had a few more questions:

1) Should extensions from the initrd image show up in the Extensions list in System Info? I'm trying to fix my PS2 trackpad, and I know PS2 support is loaded, but I don't see any of the PS2 extensions (ACPIPS2Nub, PS2Controller,etc) listed in the Extensions list.

2) Are there any permissions requirements for the initrd image? I was adding IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext to the image, and it won't appear from there, however it works fine when I add it to my regular /System/Library/Extensions folder. I even got it working in the regular Extensions folder, then moved it to initrd, but it still doesn't seem to want to work.

I have posted a solution to that here

http://forum.insanel...o...0&start=520

MjP99

MjP99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Hello all. I used this method to boot mt ECS 945GCT 1333 board with the retail DVD. Works great...

The only thing is that it takes a LONG time at the "loading initrd.img" stage. I have tried with 3 different drives and they all run at the same slow speed. The CD zips right along. Does anyone know why this might happen and if there is anything I can do to speed it up?

M

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

. . .
5) Run syslinux.exe -ma <drive letter>: (Ex: syslinux.exe -ma f:)
. . .
USB Files: http://www.mediafire.com/?d9nzydnj3vz (You just need to add your initrd.img.)

making available the needed files, is there other way to execute step 5 above? can this be done inside osx?

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
update: tried this method & it's really awesome. tnx a lot stickpin for this great shared knowledge.

the thing is, the ALCinject & AppleHDA kexts (for my audio) and the NVkush (for my graphics/video) that i put in the initrd didn't seem to be loaded. is there a way to load them without putting them in the /S/L/Extensions so retail leopard install is "freshly vanilla"?

p.s. - steps taken:
to follow this guide, i've erased my whole hdd. made 2 GUID partitions. installed vista on 1st partition. prepared the usb-boot-disk. installed retail leopard. updated to 10.5.4 but w/out the audio working yet and the display is at 1024x768. waiting for reply/advice on this.

update: i can boot also to the installed vista. the usb bootloader cannot see the vista partition but w/out the usb bootloader, my pc automatically boots to vista. :D

tnx in advance to anyone who has the knowledge & generous enough to share it. ;)

stickpin

stickpin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

update: tried this method & it's really awesome. tnx a lot stickpin for this great shared knowledge.

the thing is, the ALCinject & AppleHDA kexts (for my audio) and the NVkush (for my graphics/video) that i put in the initrd didn't seem to be loaded. is there a way to load them without putting them in the /S/L/Extensions so retail leopard install is "freshly vanilla"?

p.s. - steps taken:
to follow this guide, i've erased my whole hdd. made 2 GUID partitions. installed vista on 1st partition. prepared the usb-boot-disk. installed retail leopard. updated to 10.5.4 but w/out the audio working yet and the display is at 1024x768. waiting for reply/advice on this.

update: i can boot also to the installed vista. the usb bootloader cannot see the vista partition but w/out the usb bootloader, my pc automatically boots to vista. :wacko:

tnx in advance to anyone who has the knowledge & generous enough to share it. :D

There is no way yet, to override AppleHDA.kext... i replaced mine too... the only kext replaced at my installation... try to use efi-string for your audio and video cards, then you dont need injectors.... this is what i did...

Enjoy...

p.s. im just back from honeymoon, so ill do more research later... ;)

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

There is no way yet, to override AppleHDA.kext... i replaced mine too... the only kext replaced at my installation... try to use efi-string for your audio and video cards, then you dont need injectors.... this is what i did...

Enjoy...

p.s. im just back from honeymoon, so ill do more research later... :)

we definitely missed u stickpin. :( & u'd definitey be needing at least another day to ease off the hang-over. :D hehe...

anyways, already got the natit.kext loaded together w/ the usb-boot-132 loader (w/c i now have in a partition of my hdd). the problem is, after the grey apple bootscreen, my display/monitor goes to a 2-minute sleep before it displays my desktop. would u happen to know what's causing it?

another thing, is there a way to automatically boot to a particular partition?

chrisHHR

chrisHHR

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I can't get this to work. Admittedly I haven't followed the steps in the first post, I just downloaded the pre-prepared files linked later in this thread. Unless someone has an all OSX way to do this I'll fire up my XP machine tomorrow and create the files per the instructions.

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

I can't get this to work. Admittedly I haven't followed the steps in the first post, I just downloaded the pre-prepared files linked later in this thread. Unless someone has an all OSX way to do this I'll fire up my XP machine tomorrow and create the files per the instructions.

linked files won't be enough. syslinux should be executed on the usb-flashdisk so u'd really be needing win xp or vista.

but if you're at it, & if there's someone who has uploaded an image of their usb-boot-132, u can download it then restore it in a partition of you're hdd. from there, u won't be needing a usb-flash disk anymore. :rolleyes:

+ + +

you may want to check out this very 1st topic of mine. :angel:

chrisHHR

chrisHHR

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

SOLVED

with <key>Quiet Boot</key> <string>Yes</string> in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Thanks...

-Nishad

This didn't work for me. I am succesfully booting off a USB stick, but I still have one boot: prompt where I have to hit enter.

Anybody know how this can be remedied in initrd.img?

chrisHHR

chrisHHR

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

This didn't work for me. I am succesfully booting off a USB stick, but I still have one boot: prompt where I have to hit enter.

Anybody know how this can be remedied in initrd.img?

Is the modified com.apple.Boot.plist supposed to go onto the USB stick somewhere?

JaE-V

JaE-V

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
thanks for this

falconpilot

falconpilot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
thx!

Warl0ck

Warl0ck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
btw you don't need windows to do the syslinux install .. it works fine from linux :(

i created a small 1.5gb partition on my primary hard drive and installed syslinux in it.. now i can choose this one from grub

Warl0ck

Warl0ck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
btw you don't need windows to do the syslinux install .. it works fine from linux :(

i created a small 1.5gb partition on my primary hard drive and installed syslinux in it.. now i can choose this one from grub

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

btw you don't need windows to do the syslinux install .. it works fine from linux :blink:

how do we "syslinux" a usb flashdisk from linux? i plan to use ubuntu live cd only, would it be just fine?

overshoot

overshoot

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

how do we "syslinux" a usb flashdisk from linux? i plan to use ubuntu live cd only, would it be just fine?

Hi,

Syslinux is a linux package so you will find it especially in Ubuntu. I've installed it there's not a long time on my Debian. If i remember well, you will have to type something like :
#syslinux -c /dev/diskXsY

Good luck.
Happy Linux and OsX86!

chrisHHR

chrisHHR

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Is the modified com.apple.Boot.plist supposed to go onto the USB stick somewhere?

Using the syslinux Wiki I found that PROMPT 0 in syslinux.cfg should eliminate the "boot:" prompt. It doesn't work for me.

TIMEOUT 0 should skip the prompt as well and automatically boot, but it doesn't. Even the TIMEOUT 90 should quickly pass, but on my machine it does not.

Mine just sits at "boot:" until I hit enter...hours....

Still investigating...

EDIT: The above commands only control the boot: prompt that happens before INITRD.IMG is loaded. Default is no prompt and no timeout, so the PROMPT and TIMEOUT lines are unnecessary.

My syslinux.cfg file now looks like this:

DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot --- /initrd.img
APPEND biosdev=80

But I'm still getting the very annoying "boot:" prompt after initrd.img has loaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy