• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,639 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
Don't tell me that, I had the solution under my nose all the time :thumbsup_anim:

I use that with my Dell Lappy :rolleyes:

I'll try it when I back to home :poster_oops:

f41qu3

f41qu3

Insanely Retired Guru

• Retired
  • 459 posts

Don't tell me that, I had the solution under my nose all the time :P

I use that with my Dell Lappy :o

I'll try it when I back to home :D

:jerry: Calm down sweet.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,639 posts
Also I will try the mod to the ACPIPlatform...

PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 90
DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot --- /initrd.img
APPEND biosdev=81

And if I want to boot from USB drive I just count the number of drives and asign it?

DocShadow

DocShadow

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

And if I want to boot from USB drive I just count the number of drives and asign it?

That's what I did ... the USB was my Drive 1 = 80, my Drive 2 = 81, etc.

Work for all four drives.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,639 posts
I have 4 sata drives, does the USB should be the 5th one?

DocShadow

DocShadow

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Me too ... 2 XP drives and 2 OSX drives

My board only recognizes the first HD, and the DVD and floppy drives as boot devices. In my BIOS I specified my USB drive the first drive and my other HDDs as Drives 2, 3, etc.

The board boots with the USB stick (first drive = 80). When syslinux is finished, I press ESC and then depending on what I want to boot (XP or OSX), I type 81, 82, etc.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,639 posts
Thanks for the link :) , I read it two days ago, and yesterday when I try to fix the shudown/restart issue I couldn't find it -_-

nishadks

nishadks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

CODE
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 90
DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot --- /initrd.img
APPEND biosdev=81

I've "APPEND biosdev=81" in my syslinux.cfg and that helps to choose the first HDD, but still its asking for which partition to load from the first hard disk 81. How can I avoid that and start my Leopard partition to boot without any prompt?

-Nishad

stickpin

stickpin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hey to all and thanks for all your replies!
Really strange to hear about FAT/FAT32 problem and small drives...

I got 2 flash drives, both 2GB one FAT32 partitions, formated with XP.

trauma23, im using HDD emulation mode.
nishadks, dunno about it... :\ But ill check this out...

nishadks

nishadks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hey to all and thanks for all your replies!
Really strange to hear about FAT/FAT32 problem and small drives...

I got 2 flash drives, both 2GB one FAT32 partitions, formated with XP.

trauma23, im using HDD emulation mode.
nishadks, dunno about it... :\ But ill check this out...

SOLVED

with <key>Quiet Boot</key> <string>Yes</string> in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Thanks...

-Nishad

Fresh1

Fresh1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
hello wondering if anyone can tell me why this method is not working for me. I have a working copy of 10.5.4 installed from dfe boot disk and I am currently booting from the dvdrom with no problems. I am running on a asus p5w dh. I have taken and formated my usb drive to fat32 using vmware and windows vista. Then I open my boot cd which is packed using the galaxy method and drag and drop the intrd.img on to my flash drive. then reboot and everytime i get just a blinking line. I have tried fat and fat32. Also I am using the pre-made download from post 1 in the topic. Does it have anything to do with my files being packed as an mkext? Seems to me like it is not booting at all. I do have it set as my first boot drive in bios.

Thanks

_Stoddie

_Stoddie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

hello wondering if anyone can tell me why this method is not working for me. I have a working copy of 10.5.4 installed from dfe boot disk and I am currently booting from the dvdrom with no problems. I am running on a asus p5w dh. I have taken and formated my usb drive to fat32 using vmware and windows vista. Then I open my boot cd which is packed using the galaxy method and drag and drop the intrd.img on to my flash drive. then reboot and everytime i get just a blinking line. I have tried fat and fat32. Also I am using the pre-made download from post 1 in the topic. Does it have anything to do with my files being packed as an mkext? Seems to me like it is not booting at all. I do have it set as my first boot drive in bios.

Thanks

I have same motherboard as you and its working perfectly 10.5.4. You need to change more than the boot order on our motherboard's. What you need to do is go into your bios and select the advance menu, then select usb configuration menu, then usb mass storage device configuration menu, then change the emulation type to Hard Disk. Pics included. let me know how you get on :rolleyes:
Attached File  IMG_0014.JPG   300.84KB   228 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0015.JPG   328.7KB   209 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0017.JPG   308.79KB   196 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0018.JPG   330.67KB   162 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0019.JPG   311.85KB   160 downloads

Fresh1

Fresh1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

I have same motherboard as you and its working perfectly 10.5.4. You need to change more than the boot order on our motherboard's. What you need to do is go into your bios and select the advance menu, then select usb configuration menu, then usb mass storage device configuration menu, then change the emulation type to Hard Disk. Pics included. let me know how you get on :D

Hmmm dunno that is the first thing that i did. does it matter if everything that is in intrd.iso is packed using the galaxy loader with and mkext instead of all the individual d kext files I am using the file from post 409 in the p5w dh under hardware packed by macita.

Thanks

lourens123

lourens123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is it possible to use this method not to boot from a harddisk, but from a partition on a harddisk?
If yes, how?

quis

quis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
newbie's ask...

with this method i don't need to install pcefi or chameleon efi? :(

and can i put these files into a tiny partition to make it work the same? i don't want there to be a stick on my laptop... :)

stickpin

stickpin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
quis, yes you dont need any efi installed. BOOT-132 is kind of modded Chameleon. And yeah you can create small fat32 partition on a hard drive and install syslinux there.

quis

quis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Awesome! :(

So if I wanna try this out, I'd better use this method rather than install the Chemeloen?(This way is better, I suppose?)

And do I still have to do some post-patch or there are already modified kexts needed included in the boot-132 loader? :(

Abysmal

Abysmal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
For all of those having boot errors --> set bios mode to USB = HD/FIXED DISK emulation

and to fix the kernel not found errors, rename the files from ISOLINUX.* to SYSLINUX.*

It fixed my issues..

Abysmal

harbri

harbri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Hi,

I've also installed it to a small partition on one of my harddisks and it works but it is very slow, much slower than booting from the CD. I've tried an internal harddisk, an external harddisk and an USB-stick but all three boot considerably slower then booting from the CD. Is there something I can do about it?

Harbri

Mobo: MSI P965 Platinum
Proc: Intel Core2Duo E6400
Grfx: Geforce 8800GTS 640
Harddisk: Samsung Spinpoint 500Gb

clockworx

clockworx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
I imaged the retail DVD to a USB drive, and ensured it was working as a boot device by testing it on a macbook. Is there any way to boot off a USB drive instead of the internal one using the USB bootloader?

EDIT: Also, is there any programs on windows that can edit the initrd.img file?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy