Would you buy a Apple Mactel?

93 posts in this topic

if we're talking semantics, aqua is the gui on top of darwin. And i dont know this for a fact, but I would think that OS X is the operating system as a whole (including darwin).  Because historically speaking, darwin wouldnt exist without Apple having made it... its pointless to argue because it was all put together by apple, thus the whole package being called "Mac OS X"

Good riddance I had to get that off my chest

Can we shut up about this already (not picking on this post in perticular, it was actualy pretty good compared to the flametrash before it was just the most recent). I mean, this is really just a difference in opinion on the definition of os, some chosing to define it as solely the underlying, hardware interacting parts, and others viewing it as the complete solution. This is an insanely stupid argument, with tons of bad information spewing from both sides. I could post my opinion here, which is undoubtubly right :) but THIS IS NOT THE THREAD FOR THIS. So I think that if you want to carry on with your fun little flamewar (I actualy love flamewars, but only when there on topic) you could at least have the decency to start a new topic.

Back on subject, My next computer will be a intel powerbook :) that is, if there still called powerbooks, after all, they won't have a powerpc processor...

I'm thinking more & more that my next Windows & Linux - running PC Will be made by Apple. With the shift to Intel they can produce much cheaper, bringing the price of a Mac closer to that of a similar spec PC.

I'm sure a lot of people, myself included, would be willing to pay *a little* more for a machine that is well put together, with quality components, stylish looks, & the advantage of being able to run OSX.

All that remains to be seen is which way Apple choses to jump. I'm hoping they'll decide it's time to compete with the PC market on its own terms.

For those that think OSX should be released for standard PCs, you obviously don't realize that this would be terrible for Apple. Apple makes about 95% of their profits on HARDWARE. They are not like Microsoft. Microsoft is a software company. Apple is a hardware company. If they made an OSX for standard PCs they would lose a ton of money because no one would buy their Macs.

Also, one of the reasons people like Mac OSX is that you don't have stupid drivers to install. I own a Powerbook G4 running Mac OSX, a PC running Windows XP, and a PC running Debian Linux. Whenever I format my Windows installation (I have to do this like once every 7 months or something) I have to download the drivers again. Sound drivers, video drivers, etc. With my Mac, I don't have to do this. I don't even have to format. :)

With Macs, everything works out of the box. We don't have to upgrade our BIOS or any of that {censored}. If Apple released a Mac for PCs this wouldn't be so. KTHXBAI

For those that think OSX should be released for standard PCs, you obviously don't realize that this would be terrible for Apple. Apple makes about 95% of their profits on HARDWARE. They are not like Microsoft. Microsoft is a software company. Apple is a hardware company. If they made an OSX for standard PCs they would lose a ton of money because no one would buy their Macs.

Also, one of the reasons people like Mac OSX is that you don't have stupid drivers to install. I own a Powerbook G4 running Mac OSX, a PC running Windows XP, and a PC running Debian Linux. Whenever I format my Windows installation (I have to do this like once every 7 months or something) I have to download the drivers again. Sound drivers, video drivers, etc. With my Mac, I don't have to do this. I don't even have to format. :D

With Macs, everything works out of the box. We don't have to upgrade our BIOS or any of that {censored}. If Apple released a Mac for PCs this wouldn't be so. KTHXBAI

Their Hardware division will just die as i said before the x86 world is different we aren't idiots who would pay more just for a stupid looking case.

The hw division is just doomed apple would just evolve as a software company or just die, it's pretty simple jobs did a do or die jump

Uh... no.

Apple, with iPod sales, could probably manage on the few dedicated users they have. The Mac is not going to be ANY different aside from being somewhat faster at the same price and Windows dualboot capability.

I repeat: Jobs DID NOT switch so he could put OSX on Dell machines. He switched because PPC just wasn't as well supported *cough*funded*cough* as x86.

Uh... no.

Apple, with iPod sales, could probably manage on the few dedicated users they have. The Mac is not going to be ANY different aside from being somewhat faster at the same price and Windows dualboot capability.

I repeat: Jobs DID NOT switch so he could put OSX on Dell machines. He switched because PPC just wasn't as well supported *cough*funded*cough* as x86.

yeah i know that's not his intention but that's what will happen and he will be royally screwed you'll see, prolly he will keep his dumb zealot fan boyish base but i'm not sure about that too we'll see.

You are right on the fact that ipod sales can save his hw division but if he thinks that he's going to increase his market share and sell more machines he's dumb wrong.

Now all he got is his OS , i don't see any reason why i would want to buy an overpriced shiny case with average standard pc parts when i can build one myself much better cheaper and still able to run osx

You might not, but the people who buy iPods do. It's all about how it looks and feels. There are cheaper MP3 players with superior feature sets that have less than 1% of the market. You forget that the majority of computer users are ignorant. No one's going to wait 10 hours for a torrent that's been patched that much. No one is going to download a Livelinux or use arcane dd commands that could easily screw things up.

I admire the work done here, but it will be much harder to patch OSX Leopard (and probably Tiger Final, too).

It is hard to believe, but I hate Windows. Many people do not understand the beauty of UNIX / LINUX, I have not really trusted MacOS until I have used it myself. I like it... it is very nice, and works very well in my opinion.

I would probably get a mactel, but I might be more tempted to just build my own computer (my own mini), with a TV-Out type of card, and 2 gigs of RAM, and have myself my own little media center... but in the end, I would say yes, I would probably buy a mini, mainly because of their size and everything... but they need larger harddrives... and TV tuners... then they would be complete.

Basically, I am at the point where I need to buy something - either a new wifi card for my laptop, or an iBook... I need a new desktop next year, and if they have some good macs around for this holiday season, I would get it... but I would also want the system disks... so erm... I could... run the newest version on my laptop (if crack is available)

• 1 month later...
I will most likely buy an Intel-based iBook for my wife when they release one.

IF they can dual-boot Windows, then I can see us replacing a LOT of our HP/Compaq PCs here at work with them. And if OSx86 IS released for use on non-Apple PCs, then it will certainly be being dual-booted on a large number of our machines.

• 4 weeks later...
i don't think i will buy the osx computer

i have used the osx for a week now and when i compare it to windows xp i am not shure osx is for me

osx look great with the nice icons and animations, but i miss some things

i mis the windows start bar to launch applications fast

i miss the windows taskbar, it may not look as good as the osx one , but it is faster to work with

and i miss using keyboard commands like ctrl copy

i also have the feeling that windows xp is a faster os compared to osx

:P

dear god. i registered just to reply to this.

the combination of the dock & the apple menu offers much faster application & system configuration than the windows start menu does. just add shortcuts to the dock, or indeed to the apple menu (via a haxie - www.haxies.com).

as others have said, expose is a more efficient means of task selection. multiple windows of the same application can be SEEN and easily indentified, as opposed to churning through dozens of tiny taskbar buttons. the animations you see when you minimize a window are NOT just eye candy - they show you exactly where the window is sent on the dock. and of course, dont forget alt+tab.

you miss commands like ctrl+copy? these are all present in os x! how its translated to osx86 i dont know, but its just as simple as windows, apple+c for copy, apple+v to paste, etc etc etc. you really ought to test things a bit more before trolling.

in regards to windows xp being faster than os x, that all comes down to your hardware, and apparently the proper release of osx86 will be faster than the ppc versions we see now.

rant over.

personally im both happy and sad about the mactel platform, sad because i coughed up for both a powerbook and a g5 just weeks before the move was announced, but happy to see the possibilities this new move will bring. i'd buy one, perhaps a later revision, when my current macs are really, really outdated.

toodle pip! :D

If launching applications from the Dock icons doesn't suit you, try dragging your Applications folder to the right of the Dock (next to the Trash). Click and hold for a pop-up hierarchical view of your Applications folder.

blimey govenor! i never knew that! thanks a lot :lol:

I will definettaly buy one of these bad boys, lol, just because I have wanted a mac for so long, and at 17 years old, I have never really had the money (I don't want any mac mini shiat, I want a full blown desktop..) But buy the time they come out, I should/will have enough money to get one thanks to my ol' game company ( www.bbi-games.com ) :(:)