Leopard on a Shuttle K45 - MiniHack

orsodimare

267 posts in this topic

10.5.5 WORKING on k45 just as good as 10.5.4

follow my instruction from previous post

do not install chameleon stuff yet

I used the combo update to 10.5.5

don't see why delta update wouldn't work ...

reboot

it will boot to gray apple logo screen for 3 ~ 4 min

then it will reboot automatically

and boot into 10.5.5

reinstall AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and AppleHDA.kext in the system I used Kext Helper b7

(should have the needed version on your flash drive, anyway the previous one I used in 10.5.4)

back to a system just as good as 10.5.4

need further testing just like 10.5.4 to see if the system is really as stable as it seems

Time machine still working, doing a full backup right now (well at least on USB HD)

watching a trailer throu front row

video is super smooth

Woohoo !

I installed using the shuttle.iso but I can't get ethernet to work to perform an update.

I also own an Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse but these lose connection everytime the system restarts (and Leopard won't boot without a Keyboard plugged in anyway) and it goes through the pairing process everytime.

The promlem with the correct iso's and kexts are that I'm not sure I'm looking in the right places. You mention they are in this thread but I can't find all of them and some, I think, are earlier versions anyway. I must be blind!

Downloads of my compiled working kext for Shuttle K45 on MacOS 10.5.5

everything should work in 10.5.4 except maybe for the video driver since they are modified version of the original 10.5.5 video drivers

Compared to my previous Howto:

new video driver (found on an "MSI Wind" thread)

new ethernet driver it fixes an error that appeared everywhere in the Console (supposedly some software won't run due to that error) - found through google

the rest is the same

need to copy the following in order for video and sound to work System/Library/Extensions:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleHDA.kext

The rest may remain on the boot 132 CD/USB

------------------------

Hi travisbickle,

shuttle.iso does not have the ethernet driver

either make a modified boot132 CD or make a boot-132 USB flash drive replacing the kext in the initrd.img with the ones I found (without video driver when booting into 10.5.4)

OR

install IONetworkingFamily.kext in your system, using "Kext-Helper n7" for example

and reboot...

after your update to 10.5.5

you'll have to that again since the updater will replace the file

video.zip

sound.zip

minimum_req.zip

ethernet.zip

• 2 weeks later...

10.5.6 working just as good as 10.5.5 and 10.5.4

only using Software Update

still using the same boot132 from bootable flash drive

with same kext as used in 10.5.5

(I did remove GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext from boot132 before installing just for precaution, I'll add it again and see)

I had to reload two kext using kext helper, one for video and one for sound in S/L/E: AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and AppleHDA.kext

right after the update the ethernet still showed up, but wasn't connected

I changed the version number 1.6.0 to 1.6.1 in the IONetworkingFamily.kext (the one in my boot132 drive) using text edit on info.plist and version.plist

after reboot Ethernet and Internet worked, don't know if it actually did something, but it works (maybe all it needed was a reboot)

everything seems to work like before

K48 people, For the love of all that is holy, please tell me the DVI out is detected and works. I have no DVI monitor to test right now but really need to know if it works.

Also, an on topic note: My K45 worked perfectly with kalyway 10.5.2 out of the box with full video, sound (stereo out w /volume control), onboard network, qe/ci, etc)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Looking for a little help here.

I've tried a few of the different kext's out there and I cannot get graphics to work on the GMA950. I used Kalyway 10.5.2 and it is all installed and running perfect with the sole exception of video. I'm using the onboard Intel GMA950 and I cannot get it to the 1440x900 resolution that I need to use. I edited the com.apple.Boot.plist to get the graphics to 1280x1024 (thanks Nano) but I really need 1440x900. Does anyone have a good kext that works with kalyway 10.5.2 that will let you change resolutions but also keep CI and QE? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

Bam

Unaclocker:

Thanks for the advice...I'm downloading the image and I'll try installing that next. I'll keep everyone updated! So far in case anyone's wondering, Kalyway 10.5.2 works perfect on a regular installation except the graphics. So right out of the install you get audio, LAN working but non working graphics.

*update* Installing iATKOS v5i...

There is a few different options for GMA950 drivers. 3 to be specific. They're called A, B, and EFI string. You receive kernel panics with A and EFI strings...B will boot and QE and CI are listed as working but there is no resolution change and the resolution is 1024x768.

Any help is appreciated....I'm ALMOST there!

So I've finally succeeded in getting the graphics working!!! Thanks for the advice on iATKOS...it worked! I'm going to include my notes that I made during the install here and they're pretty easy to follow along. They're a semi-copy of my customization selections from top to bottom. If theres something not listed in my notes it is because I did not check anything under that category.

So the base OS is the iATKOS v51 and my customizations for a stock Shuttle K45 with integrated GMA950 graphics and a SATA HDD are as follows:

x86 patches

decrypters

apple decrypt

smbios drivers

smbios-efi

disabler.kext

drivers

vga

intel

gma950a

system

sata/ide

intel ahci sata

ntfs-3g

Ethernet driver http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=39530 (thanks Eliade)

Using those settings exactly and then installing the Ethernet driver above (with kext-helper) the system is running nearly perfect. Network, sound, video are all working well. Shutdown/Restart/Sleep needs a little bit of tinkering but I'm confident that I will get that working. Good luck everyone!

**Edit** The audio was working (volume slider included) but NO mic line in. So I used this .txt file and Taruga audio fix and my mic line in is now confirmed working. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=21472

Hi guys, I have the same system Shuttle K45 with E2200 Dual core processor, I use a external USB-DVD but with Kalyway 10.5.2 I am stuck with the com.apple.Boot.plist not found, I cannot even run the install.

What is your bios version? Mine is SK45U10I, I am not sure if I ned to downgrade the version it seam the actual version is SK45S10F.BIN, what strange is they are not using the same nomenclature. Anyway any help would be appreciated.

Its sound like its related to my usb-dvd, I buy this {censored} for nothing!

So I will give a try with my IDE-DVD from my PC!

yeah that's what I did at first, connecting the IDE drive with the k45 box open, not very esthetic, but it works well ...

now I'm using a bootable flash drive, and a usb HD with OSX dvd on it (using mac os restore on the usb HD)

so I won't ever need a DVD drive to install/reinstall mac os

instead of kalyway you should definitly try boot 132 with retail OSX 10.5.4, then upgrade to 10.5.6, it's a much cleaner install than kalyway

that's one of the adavantage of the k45, because it's using a compatible Intel chip

yeah that's what I did at first, connecting the IDE drive with the k45 box open, not very esthetic, but it works well ...

now I'm using a bootable flash drive, and a usb HD with OSX dvd on it (using mac os restore on the usb HD)

so I won't ever need a DVD drive to install/reinstall mac os

instead of kalyway you should definitly try boot 132 with retail OSX 10.5.4, then upgrade to 10.5.6, it's a much cleaner install than kalyway

that's one of the adavantage of the k45, because it's using a compatible Intel chip

I will download another osx image then. For the upgrade can I upgrade directly from OSX without any hack?

You have a small partition on your USB-HD with the OSX install on it? and you are using the flash drive to boot when you need to reinstall it? The mac os restore is used to restore a backup made on the USB-HD?

Thanks for your advise.

I will download another osx image then. For the upgrade can I upgrade directly from OSX without any hack?

get the original retail version of OS X, latest I know that is available is 10.5.4

once you have the boot 132 all setup, which is just a way to load some drivers during boot time

you'll be able to update without any extra hacks, just run the Apple Updates ... with no worries

after the updates you'll have to reinstall 2 kext into the System/Lybrary/Extentions/ folder

without those it will still boot perfectly, only your screen resolution will be messed up and no sound, but it's an easy fix

(you'll need to use kext helper b7 for that, just read my previous posts on last 2 pages)

You have a small partition on your USB-HD with the OSX install on it?

on my usb HD I have the OSX install DVD

and you are using the flash drive to boot when you need to reinstall it?

yes I plug in both the usb HD and the bootable flash drive to install/reinstall OS X

you'll find info on boot132 there

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t+132+flash+usb

and how to get boot 132 on flash drive instead of using CD

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t+132+flash+usb

for my usb flash drive to be bootable (no success at first)

so I used a little program by HP, do a search on the net , "HP usb flash drive boot dos" on google should do it...

it's used to put Dos on it, (you need Windows for that) follow the instruction to get dos on it, then delete the files (some are hidden), do not format it, just delete, the flash drive is bootable, then follow the instruction from the previous link to add the boot-132 files ...

and the needed kext, just look in this tread you'll find all you need

The mac os restore is used to restore a backup made on the USB-HD?

the mac os restore is supposetly used for that,

but you can also restore an iso (you may need to convert it to dmg first) onto an HD partition

so just create a 9GB partition on an usb HD and restore the iso of the retail OS X on that partition (you'll need OSX for that, either with a real mac or with your kalyway install)

Then when you want to (re)install OSX, boot onto the flash drive, then from that boot on to the partition on your usb HD with the retail OSX on it...

I know this may seem vague without knowing anything about boot-132, but if you read just a little about it you'll see that it's actually very strait forward

once OSX is installed you'll need to boot from the usb flash drive from that boot into your installation internal HD

the usb HD is of course not needed at this point

then in order to boot without the flash drive you'll need to install "Chameleon DFE for HD" (once installed put your needed kext into the /Extra/Extensions/ folder)

read my previous post (on last two pages) to get the good kext

(don't use the speedstep kext I uploaded previously it's not stable)

Thanks for your advise.

you are welcome

once you have your OSX install using boot 132 running tell me, and I'll upload the latest kext I'm using (may have some minor change from my previous post)

My system is super stable, ethernet works, sound works, video works, timemachine works, shutdown/restart

NO SLEEP ... only "major" issue....

and only requierement is an usb mouse and keyboard, ps2 connection doesn't work (it's possible to make it work, but I don't need it)

the only minor issue when using widescreen monitor, I have to do a "detect display" after every boot to get the widescreen resolution listed (it will remember the last one used), if you have a non-widescreen monitor, you won't have that problem, your screen resolution will be ok after boot (only need to set it the very first time)

one more little thing

don't add your screen resoution in boot.plist.info, this "hack" may be needed on some computer or with other kext, but not with the one I found and use, (it can get nasty if you do add the line)

only add the timeout to that file so you won't have to press enter during boot, nothing else

voila

Thanks, the last night I read a lot about Boot-132, I buy a new USB-HD today 500GB, One of my buddy at the office have a mac with leopard, tonight he will create 2 partitions on the HD, one for the DVD and the other FAT32 and he will put the DVD image on the first partition.

I should be able to install OSX tomorrow and see if everything go well!

My pendrive is ready, need to test it, if that not work I will try your HP stuffs!

Thank you :(

I got the same problem as you for the USB stick with boot-132. Needed to use HP to put the system file.

Next step is for tomorow!!

Good luck

by the way for the dvd image it needs to be a retail version of osx, not the restore DVD that are given with real mac, I have a macbook pro and tried that at first and while you're all happy that it booted on the OSX install disk, you get a message that says "cannot be installed on this machine" ... , just so you know and don't have that bad surprise ...

Hi,

I got this minihack (shuttle.iso + retail) but I got 2 issues that nobody talked about here i think :

The major one : after a random time period being idle (oftenly 1 hour), it becomes frozen. I can't wake up the screen despite the computer is still running (fans, hdd..). Look like a kernel panic but without the screen on. Maybe it's a kp which happen while the screen is sleeping.. dunno. Hard reset is the only thing to do.

I had installed CPU Speedstep kext, which is maybe the reponsible. I'm now trying without it. We'll see...

The minor one : a cursor bug when i try (for example) to rename a file/folder on the desktop. A copy of the cursor stay on the screen. Sometimes a little annoying, is this known ?

cursorsbugew5.jpg

Hi,

I got this minihack (shuttle.iso + retail) but I got 2 issues that nobody talked about here i think :

The major one : after a random time period being idle (oftenly 1 hour), it becomes frozen. I can't wake up the screen despite the computer is still running (fans, hdd..). Look like a kernel panic but without the screen on. Maybe it's a kp which happen while the screen is sleeping.. dunno. Hard reset is the only thing to do.

I had installed CPU Speedstep kext, which is maybe the reponsible. I'm now trying without it. We'll see...

The minor one : a cursor bug when i try (for example) to rename a file/folder on the desktop. A copy of the cursor stay on the screen. Sometimes a little annoying, is this known ?

cursorsbugew5.jpg

I suppose its the Sleep bug like some have here too!

Hopefully they are a fix for that.

Good luck

by the way for the dvd image it needs to be a retail version of osx, not the restore DVD that are given with real mac, I have a macbook pro and tried that at first and while you're all happy that it booted on the OSX install disk, you get a message that says "cannot be installed on this machine" ... , just so you know and don't have that bad surprise ...

The DMG from the Retail install DVD hopefully :), I really hope its what he have!

If its not that, I will need to find another way :)

I suppose its the Sleep bug like some have here too!

Hopefully they are a fix for that.

I disabled sleeping in the Energy Saver panel, as well as "put the hard disk to sleep when possible", so it cannot be that.

I disabled sleeping in the Energy Saver panel, as well as "put the hard disk to sleep when possible", so it cannot be that.

Its maybe a stupid question to ask sorry, I will ask we never know, does your CPU in your shuttle have a fan on the CPU? CPU can freeze when its too hot.

I know you talked about you hear the fan but its maybe the fan of the Powersupply you are talking.

I hope I will not get this but too! :)