Leopard on a Shuttle K45 - MiniHack

orsodimare

267 posts in this topic

does anybody have a complete guide to install on a K48 ?

thanks and any help will be appreciated!

Hi greyMD,

the installation is similar to the installation of the K45 and also the limitations.

What I am using is:

Kalyway 10.5.2

Kernels-> Kernel_vanilla_92 -> maybe the mach Kernel is the better solution

Graphics_Drivers-> Intel_GMA-> GMA950

Audio_Drivers-> Intel NVIDIA VIA ATI HD Audio Controller

Network_Cards-> MarvellNetworkAdapter

Mobo_Chipsets -> AppleOnboardPCATA

Mobo_Chipsets -> AppleGenericPCATA

Thirds_Applications -> ALL

Patches -> Hardcoded_SMBIOS -> Lastnetkassmbios (because was preselected)

Patches -> PCGenUSB_Fix (because was preselected)

Patches -> TimeMachineFix

Problems:

Shudown sometimes does not work.

Sleep mode does not work in general.

K48

Processor: Intel E7200 with boxed FAN

Memory: Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G

HDD: SATA 1x Samsung HD501LJ SATA

DVD: SATA 1x Samsung SH-S203D

Video card: ONBOARD Intel GMA950

Bluetooth: D-Link USB DBT-122

Keyboard & Mouse: Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse

K45

Processor: Intel Celeron 420 S with boxed FAN

Memory: Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G

HDD: SATA 1x Samsung HD501LJ SATA

Video card: ONBOARD Intel GMA950

Bluetooth: D-Link USB DBT-122

Keyboard & Mouse: Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse

I just got my K48 up and running with boot-123. I used 'BOOT-DFE-146-BUMBY' and installed from a Retail DVD. Then installed Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk, followed the instructions in the installer for Chameleon to ad kexts. System works great, even did the apple software update to 10.5.5 without a problem.

AzCowboi, can you write an HOW-TO, please ?

thanks

Go to this post it will give you all the info on how to install. boot-123

The first post will give you the info as to how to install, search that thread to find BOOT-DFE-146-BUMBY iso, I tried the ones in the first message and they didn't work for me. This one installed without a problem. When the CD stops and gives you a boot option, hit ESC that will let you eject the CD and put in you Retail DVD (must be a Retail DVD, not a grey backup one that come with MAC systems) Hit enter and it should start loading the DVD.

let's say sound.. i suppose it won`t work out-of-box, is that right ?

so, you`re installing the right kext after system is installed, or... ?

thanks

will find where i got all the files and put them together in one post either tonight or tomorrow. Will take me a bit to locate it all.

it would be wonderful!

thanks and looking forward to see your post soon!

Ok GreyMD

this should get your started.

burn this iso to a CD and boot from it. http://www.mediafire.com/?zkemd1lz3yy

Have tried quite a few iso's and this is the only one i could get to work on my Shuttle. This will alow you to bood the retail DVD.

once you have OS installed, you need to reboot with the iso disk again. will need to boot your main HD which on my Shuttle is 80.

once you have system up, look on iso disk. there is a folder there for Chameleon_DFE_for_hard_disk. Open and install, that will put the files needed to boot the system from the Hard drive.

I used the kext files from post #95 in this thread.

they seem to work, but can only get video and audio if i put kext in the /system/library/extensions folder.

working on trying to figuer out how to install them in the /extra/extensions folder and get them to work.

good luck

working on trying to figuer out how to install them in the /extra/extensions folder and get them to work.

good luck

this one is the most important part, in my opinion. if you manage to work it out, please notify us thru this thread!

thanks!

this one is the most important part, in my opinion. if you manage to work it out, please notify us thru this thread!

thanks!

From what I have found from reading on this site, this is a problem that no one has seemed to solve. Had to put the sound files and video file in the S/L/E folder. Hopefully someone will come up with a work around for this. I couldn't get the AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext to work in my system for sound. I had to use AppleHDA.kext, ALCinject.kext, and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. To get my video working I only had to install AppleIntelIntergratedFramebuffer.kext. Repaired Permissions on them and rebooted. I did all of this after I upgraded to 10.5.5. After the upgrade my system froze up, but i powered down and restarted with -f -v and started up perfect. Now if only I can get my other system "MACenstein" up and running. It is based on a Azus P5K Deluxe board. I must say out of the two, the K48 was a far easier computer to setup and a lot less expensive.

Hi,

I recently bought a K45 and installed iDeneb 10.5.4 on it. I used the following Extensions:

- Darwin 9.4 vanilla kernel - works oob without sleep (which is not necessary for me)

- Graphics Intel GMA950 - had to re-install older kexts because the included driver only supports 1024 by 768

- Audio AppleAzalia with 2-channel Output. It's enough for my purposes and works oob

- Ethernet Marvell driver - works oob

- MoBo Intel CH7x driver

- USB Fix (don't know if necessary)

- AppleSMBIOS for 667 MHz DDR2 RAM (works oob and let my MacShuttle show up as a Mac Pro on my other Apple computers)

Hardware is a 1,8 GHz Intel Core Duo 2160 and 1 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM. I chose a big standard cooler with 92mm fan (Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro) which forced me to install a 2,5" SATA HDD (no place for a 3,5" model anymore). I'm a bit concerned of the noise of the power supply fan. It's a 40mm model and is a bit noisy.

I tried to boot from a Samsung USB DVD drive - did not work (com.apple.boot.plist not found) so I installed an internal IDE one for installation. USB works after installation so I can play and burn DVD's from the USB DVD drive within OS X. I also tried to boot from a Windows XP installation disk - this works from the USB DVD. So it's an issue with the Darwin DVD's; I tried different versions.

After installing older versions natit.kext, AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and the 950-kext (from a 10.5.2 Leo4All instalation) I was able to switch the resolution to 1280 by 720. As I use a 15:9 LCD television I installed SwitchResX and created a custom resolution with 1280 by 768. Now graphics is perfect.

I tried to install 10.5.5 Combo Update with this "while"-loop-terminal-and-change-to-dsmos.kext-after-installation" trick. This did not work - I tried it and was left with a grey apple logo bot screen twice. So I decided to stay at 10.5.4. for the time being.

Does anyone know how to upgrade to 10.5.5 without leaving the installation ruined? I read that some people used the standard software installation to upgrade - did anyone try this on a K45?

Next in line: some mods on the K45 case: change to front paper to one with a white apple logo, make it lighten in a decent white, change the blue power-on LED to a white model :-)

JL

I got OSX installed on my k45 using boot132 method. Everything works but I am afraid to update to 10.5.5 now. Only qwirky thing is the video which I had to edit a file to get to show in 1280x1024 but now that even works. I used Chameleon to install the generic.iso to my harddrive and now I can boot without using the cd drive. All in all the machine is super fast and I havent had any issues with restarting yet. I have not tried to sleep but restarting works great.

EDIT: Sleep didnt work at all. System hanged and I had to hold in the power and restart.

Well I am happy to report back that I updated to 10.5.5 with no real problems except sound. I had to reinstall the kext for sound and then the hdaenabler, but now sound works perfect. I plan to buy a nicer video card to play some games, and then I don't see why this little shuttle couldn't be my main PC. Everything works perfect except sleep and I couldn't be happier.

You guys know a cheap bluetooth adapter and wireless card that works with osx with no problems? I have a frys right around the corner from my apartment so it would be easy to pick something up. I tried the linksys wmp54g v2 card but I cant connect to my wireless. It shows up as an airport and I can see my networks I just cant connect to them :)