Leopard on a Shuttle K45 - MiniHack

orsodimare

267 posts in this topic

I threw in the Boot-132 disc, but after that loads, I can't get it to boot the leo DVD in the drive. I'm not sure what number to type in, but I tried just about everything and nothing happens. Maybe I need to edit the boot-132 disc. Not that familiar with it.

I don't have a SATA DVD drive handy, but I'll try and borrow one.

My install attempt failed with a usb slim dvd drive but worked with a desktop SATA drive.

After the boot 132 disc loads, put in the Leo disc, hit escape then type in 9F and hit enter. If it doesn't bring up the Leo boot partition then probably the drive.

Also, the "generic" boot 132 disc worked while the "boot bumpy" one did not. I am going to throw together a boot 132 img that works better with the K45 give give me a few days.

Also, the "generic" boot 132 disc worked while the "boot bumpy" one did not. I am going to throw together a boot 132 img that works better with the K45 give give me a few days.

The "boot bumpy" is the one I have at the moment. I'd love to try it out once you get it all going. It seems that the Boot-132 method is much preferred for long term stability, do you see any drawbacks on the K45 platform with the Boot-132?

Thanks

Limit CPUID Enabled

Force SATA II

FSB 266 (quad pumped equates to 1066mhz)

Multicore disabled

I use

Limit CPUID DISABLED -> when I change it to Enable the OS does not boot anymore

Multicore ENABLED

SATA AUTO

FSB 266 x9.5 (E7200)

do you see any drawbacks on the K45 platform with the Boot-132?

Currently I have a huge boot 132 img since its the "generic" version so my boot time is longer. Once I figure out the perfect set of kexts for the K45 I can trim it down and fix that. (options to add slash screen during load also)

I like the idea of leaving the OSX untouched and just hiding a bootable USB drive inside the K45 (attached to internal USB header).

I like the idea of leaving the OSX untouched and just hiding a bootable USB drive inside the K45 (attached to internal USB header).

I agree, the cost of a USB flash drive and header cable will be very inexpensive, probably less than the shipping, and it will allow for a nice, clean setup.

thumb drives are pretty cheap actually, could get away with 8-16gb one i guess

you'd probably find it a bit tough to get the internal usb headers unless you work in the industry

i've got two internal ports, planning to plug in a bluetooth and wireless usb module :)

only thing it'll be lacking after that is firewire(pci slot taken up by a geforce 6200 pci, sleeps and wakes up!)

going to be running dual head too, qe/ci supported and hardware accelerated :) shame the cards too slow to display the flurry screensaver on both screens at a decent frame rate though

Now I thought that boot 132 was more powerful and allowed you to never add any kexts into the OSX folder. Sure, you can do it that way but then a lot of stuff will not work perfect.

BIOS Settings that matter:

Limit CPUID DISABLED (Netkas lists this as required for the modded AppleSMBIOS.kext to work and not crash "System Profile")

Install parts that matter:

USB Slim DVD drive not supported by Generic.iso (My experience, I needed a SATA Desktop drive, IDE should work as well)

So here is an update on my boot 132 experience: "generic.iso" does a fine job of booting the retail DVD and allow for partition and install. However, if you attempt to boot up the first time after install (with generic.iso) you will get into an infinite loop regarding the "Welcome" movie and mirgration assistant. This is due to generic.iso not having corrected NIC kext and the migration assistant loops forever.

Two choices for fix: Log in single user mode and add .AppleSetupDone to /var/db. Or boot at that point with USB boot 132 drive with correct NIC kexts. (or you are super cool and you added the NIC kext to generic.iso but then again its not generic at that point!)

One snafu I found with the USB boot 132 is that if you have all the best 10.5.4 kexts (including the ACPI which fixes reboot/shutdown on 10.5.4) the kext choices are not compatible with 10.5 (cannot find boot drive). So to fix that I have an older AppleACPIPlatform kext on the USB boot 132 with corrected Yukon2.kext. The true magic happens after you load the 10.5.4 update package.

I have a folder of kexts that have the IONetworkingFamily (edited to be combo Timemachine/K45 Marvell NIC fix), AppleACPIPlatform (reboot/shutdown fixes), AppleHDA (modified to fix all audio: volume, mic, line in/out levels just NO MUTE), and GMA950 (resolution selection support with no artifacts). This batch of kexts can be loaded in simply using kexthelper. I tried my best to find a way to keep them on the USB boot 132 but the functionality was never quite right.

So problems I still have: no mute, doesn't wake from sleep (goes to sleep fine but then it restarts on wake). For me I claim victory as mute is "don't care" and sleep is "eeehh" as you can disable sleep. At one point I did have sleep/wake working but lost resolution selection support from GMA950 and tried so many crazy combos that I probably couldnt find those same kexts again anyways.

Edit: What are the rules with what you can/cannot post regarding kexts? I would be happy to upload the USB boot 132 initrd.img and post update kext folder so others can test/enjoy. Generic.iso boot 132 iso is easy enough to find and install with. Using the initrd.img (on USB boot 132) and post update folder (using kext load helper) should be straight forward after the install.

i don't see why anyone would have a problem with posting kext's, other people seem to have posted zipped version or linked ones without a problem

i would be interested in that reboot fix though.. at the moment i only have shutdown and sleep (not using gma950)working but when i reboot it'll kill the os and sit there with the monitor in sleep mode and not actually boot up again

got just about everything working fine bar the reboot and usb replug problem

edit; anyone else running natit on their k45? i just noticed that natit seems to start 3 times during bootup, is this normal?

Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Apple16X50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=UAR1
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Apple16X50UARTSync1: Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: NVDANV40HAL loaded and registered.
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: AppleYukon2: 31401297,00000000 sk98osx_dnet - CheckDictionaryEntry failed, expected vs. dictionary
Sep  9 12:56:03: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Starting.
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @0,device_type=display
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting NVCAP=<data not shown>
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @0,compatible=NVDA,NVMac
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @1,name=NVDA,Display-B
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting device_type=NVDA,Parent
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @0,NVMT=<data not shown>
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @0,name=NVDA,Display-A
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @1,compatible=NVDA,NVMac
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @0,fboffset=0x00020000
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @1,device_type=display
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting model=GeForce 6200
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Starting.dsmos: Initializing...
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: dsmos: Hook and decryption contexts set!
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: dsmos: Starting...
Sep  9 12:56:03 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Starting.

I have my K45 working, except I have no sound. Can anyone point me to a method I can get sound working?

Also, rebooting doesn't work. It just sits at the background screen and you see the spinner forever. Any fix for that?

I bought a Slim Laptop Combo Drive from geeks.com for about $25.00 and it works fine. I got the adapter and a metal front plate from www.zigs-place.com for $25.00 including shipping, and he threw in goodies besides.

I like the system, it's nice enough that I'm thinking of getting rid of my Mac Mini.

It bought a 1.6ghz Dual Core Celeron processor, 1gb of RAM, 400gb SATA HDD for it.

Once I get the sound working, I should be a happy camper.

I used Kalyway 10.5.2, installed the 10.5.3 Kalyway Combo Update, and then used the Apple 10.5.4 Delta update.

I tried using the straight Kalyway 10.5.4, and it didn't work. It wouldn't let the NIC work. Strange that they have allowed regressions in subsequent versions.

Also, even applying the GMA050 fix, I'm stuck at 1024 x 768 even though my display is capable of much larger resolution.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have my K45 working, except I have no sound. Can anyone point me to a method I can get sound working?

Also, rebooting doesn't work. It just sits at the background screen and you see the spinner forever. Any fix for that?

I bought a Slim Laptop Combo Drive from geeks.com for about $25.00 and it works fine. I got the adapter and a metal front plate from www.zigs-place.com for $25.00 including shipping, and he threw in goodies besides.

I like the system, it's nice enough that I'm thinking of getting rid of my Mac Mini.

It bought a 1.6ghz Dual Core Celeron processor, 1gb of RAM, 400gb SATA HDD for it.

Once I get the sound working, I should be a happy camper.

I used Kalyway 10.5.2, installed the 10.5.3 Kalyway Combo Update, and then used the Apple 10.5.4 Delta update.

I tried using the straight Kalyway 10.5.4, and it didn't work. It wouldn't let the NIC work. Strange that they have allowed regressions in subsequent versions.

Also, even applying the GMA050 fix, I'm stuck at 1024 x 768 even though my display is capable of much larger resolution.

Any help would be appreciated.

I went with Kalyway at first, but I like the way the Boot 132 is headed. I'm currently running a full leo install, updated to 10.5.4, and using the Generic Boot-132. I had a USB Ethernet that I plugged in, and OSX recognized it immediately, until I get my ethernet working fully, but for now, I haven't modified it in the slightest, and I'm able to run the system and update very reliably. I'm convinced this is the way to go, as if any kexts installed after the fact get blown out with an OSX update, I can still boot the machine, and then reload them after. I'm in the process of tracking down just the right updates, I tried some GMA950 fix, but it didn't allow QE, so that was a problem.

Once I have all the good kexts, this thing will make for a very good machine!

in regards to the resolution, i'm sure you have to set it via command line in your com.apple.boot.plist

with the ethernet, i've found that when updated to 10.5.4 the appleyukon2.kext's info.plist didn't contain the info for our inbuilt ethernet controller

what i did to get it working was duplicated the Yukon-88E8053 entry and changed all the Yukon-88E8053's to Yukon-88E8056, fixed permissions and rebooted

ethernet decided to work after that :D

in regards to the resolution, i'm sure you have to set it via command line in your com.apple.boot.plist

with the ethernet, i've found that when updated to 10.5.4 the appleyukon2.kext's info.plist didn't contain the info for our inbuilt ethernet controller

what i did to get it working was duplicated the Yukon-88E8053 entry and changed all the Yukon-88E8053's to Yukon-88E8056, fixed permissions and rebooted

ethernet decided to work after that :(

I'm not having NIC problems. I'm having problems with sound, and Video not going higher than 1024x768, and shutdown issues. I never use sleep, so I don't care about that.

was referring to jrog's ethernet problem

either way, you'd probably have to boot up with the graphics mode boot flag

"Graphics Mode"= Tells the system what resolution width, height, color depth & refresh rate to boot the OS with.

Ex: "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" WIDTHxHEIGHTxDEPTH

For VESA 3.0 graphics, you may append a refresh rate after an "@" character

Ex: "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32@60" WIDTHxHEIGHTxDEPTH@REFRESHRATE

ethernet decided to work after that :blink:

I tried this, duplicating the 88E8053 and making it 88E8056, and it didn't work for me. I'm trying to figure out more in detail about what it takes to fix certain everything. I don't mind installing new kexts, but I'm trying to understand what they actually do, and make it so that things are easy to fix after system updates, should they end up breaking.

The current GMA950 "fix" I've been able to come across reduces performance, but does manage to fix the resolution changes. To me, that's no fix at all. I'll try the boot argument for 1680x1050x32 when I get home from work, I'd rather not be able to change the resolution, and still have full functionality. I take it I would need to add "Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32@60" to the boot arguments in the boot-132? I don't see in the com.apple.boot.plist how I would create that. Mine is very basic as follows:

avocado:/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration jrogers # cat com.apple.Boot.plist 
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

Would I add that argument to the Kernel Flags string?

I'm also not sure how the Time Machine fix relates to the network stuff. Technically, I have a fully supported network adapter with the Macbook Air USB ethernet adapter, yet Time Machine still fails immediately.

Audio should be a no brainer, but I haven't even tried anything to fix it yet. Any recommendations? I've read that there Azalia one works well, but it looks like there are more than one way to get working audio.

Having lost the drive to my Macbook Pro this week, and being able to recover from my Time Machine backup, I'm interested in seeing how to most effectively fix Time Machine first. I hate when spinning disks die on ya, and I tried to setup a mirror in Disk Utility before I installed, and it didn't seem to work. With two internal sata drives, I can have an internal Time Machine backup, shouldn't have a huge impact on performance either.

this seemed to do it for me for the ethernet

i'd give the kernel flag a test run first before attempting to edit the com.apple.boot.plist incase something goes wrong

Many thanks... That fixed my network, I edited all but one of the lines I needed to. Now I have built in gig ethernet.

I just tried this, and it works wonderfully for the audio. audio

The command line argument for the video did not work. That and Time Machine, and I'll be even happier!

EDIT: Actually, when I did the boot arguments for 1680x1050, I ended up with 1280x1024... without doing anything, I get 1024x768. Odd...

will try the audio patch after superduper finishes imaging my drive..

also with the new updates DON'T install the quicktime update, it'll make the system unbootable

the new itunes and frontrow updates seem to have no ill effect however

edit; installed hdaenabler.kext and applehda.kext with kext helper, doesn't seem to have done anything? no inputs available.. output's always worked(hd audio output)

So... I pulled the GMA950_appleintelintegratedframebuffer.pkg and TimeMachineFix_ionetworkingfamily.pkg from the Kalyway 10.5.2 installer DVD, using Onyx. I have working video yay! with no issues. I also am able to fix Time Machine, but only when I have the USB device plugged in, as it became en0, and the GigE became en1. I tried switching en1 to en0, and it just didn't work...

I will likely do a new install again, and test these items and make sure it all works, but I'm still trying to figure out the magic behind the ACPI stuff. I think it's supposed to fix the crashing randomly on shutdown, and almost always on reboot. Does anyone know what I need to install specifically to fix this issue? I tried installing AppleACPIPlatform.pkg from the disc, and I get the kernel panic power off your computer screen when I try to boot.

Almost there! this thing is awesome!

not sure about your troubles but i used the poweroff_fix that can be found on the forums and installed chud.pkg from xcode and my shutdown is fine but restart seems to still freeze after turning off the display

by the way i downloaded quicktime and then manually installed it and it appears to be working fine for me now

Now I thought that boot 132 was more powerful and allowed you to never add any kexts into the OSX folder. Sure, you can do it that way but then a lot of stuff will not work perfect.

BIOS Settings that matter:

Limit CPUID DISABLED (Netkas lists this as required for the modded AppleSMBIOS.kext to work and not crash "System Profile")

Install parts that matter:

USB Slim DVD drive not supported by Generic.iso (My experience, I needed a SATA Desktop drive, IDE should work as well)

So here is an update on my boot 132 experience: "generic.iso" does a fine job of booting the retail DVD and allow for partition and install. However, if you attempt to boot up the first time after install (with generic.iso) you will get into an infinite loop regarding the "Welcome" movie and mirgration assistant. This is due to generic.iso not having corrected NIC kext and the migration assistant loops forever.

Two choices for fix: Log in single user mode and add .AppleSetupDone to /var/db. Or boot at that point with USB boot 132 drive with correct NIC kexts. (or you are super cool and you added the NIC kext to generic.iso but then again its not generic at that point!)

One snafu I found with the USB boot 132 is that if you have all the best 10.5.4 kexts (including the ACPI which fixes reboot/shutdown on 10.5.4) the kext choices are not compatible with 10.5 (cannot find boot drive). So to fix that I have an older AppleACPIPlatform kext on the USB boot 132 with corrected Yukon2.kext. The true magic happens after you load the 10.5.4 update package.

I have a folder of kexts that have the IONetworkingFamily (edited to be combo Timemachine/K45 Marvell NIC fix), AppleACPIPlatform (reboot/shutdown fixes), AppleHDA (modified to fix all audio: volume, mic, line in/out levels just NO MUTE), and GMA950 (resolution selection support with no artifacts). This batch of kexts can be loaded in simply using kexthelper. I tried my best to find a way to keep them on the USB boot 132 but the functionality was never quite right.

So problems I still have: no mute, doesn't wake from sleep (goes to sleep fine but then it restarts on wake). For me I claim victory as mute is "don't care" and sleep is "eeehh" as you can disable sleep. At one point I did have sleep/wake working but lost resolution selection support from GMA950 and tried so many crazy combos that I probably couldnt find those same kexts again anyways.

Edit: What are the rules with what you can/cannot post regarding kexts? I would be happy to upload the USB boot 132 initrd.img and post update kext folder so others can test/enjoy. Generic.iso boot 132 iso is easy enough to find and install with. Using the initrd.img (on USB boot 132) and post update folder (using kext load helper) should be straight forward after the install.

So here are my files for boot 132. Tested on 10.5.4 but not 10.5.5 yet....

http://rapidshare.com/files/145779865/OSX86_FILES.zip.html

1. Boot generic.iso and install from retail DVD, create boot 132 usb drive and drop in my initrd.img (has network fix)

2. After 10.5.4 apple update install kexts with kexthelper.

3. Credit goes to all the coders of the kexts, thanks. (i just happen to find a few that work well together)

Using the Boot-132 initrd.img on my USB key. It's working very well. I updated to 10.5.5 using Software Update and had to reload all the kexts, but no biggie, it's all working again. Very pleasant experience getting this thing going and keeping it running through updates.

I have a quick question, I'm passing "APPEND biosdev=82" so that it picks the right hard drive to boot from, but it never seems to timeout and boot on it's own. Is there another argument to get it to boot? and can I include a "-v" everytime as well? I like verbose mode on boot and shutdown.

Using the Boot-132 initrd.img on my USB key. It's working very well. I updated to 10.5.5 using Software Update and had to reload all the kexts, but no biggie, it's all working again. Very pleasant experience getting this thing going and keeping it running through updates.

I have a quick question, I'm passing "APPEND biosdev=82" so that it picks the right hard drive to boot from, but it never seems to timeout and boot on it's own. Is there another argument to get it to boot? and can I include a "-v" everytime as well? I like verbose mode on boot and shutdown.

Jrog, what Gfx kexts are you using for 10.5.5? It appears my choice of kexts is unhappy with 10.5.5 and I had to log in single user mode and copy from "Backup Extensions"