Leopard on a Shuttle K45 - MiniHack

orsodimare

267 posts in this topic

Ok I don't know why I didn't look into that before, but here is the fix

I just reinstalled OSX on the k45

to start fresh with the webserver/emailserver/ftpserver

all you need is the dsdt.aml

I just compiled one for our k45 (all the info is there http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143340 )

anyway since I made one you don't have to recompile one

FIRST:

hopefully you have all the original kext (related to video drivers), because you need to use those...

if you are in 10.5.6: the orginal ones are here: ORIGINAL KEXT 10.5.6 (ONLY)

SECOND:

you must be using a booter that is compatible with reading DSDT.aml in the root of your disk

this one will do if you don't already have one compatible:

Chameleon PC EFI v9

FINALY:

Download my compiled DSDT.aml (compiled to work with K45 only):

DSDT.aml.zip

copy the DSDT.aml file to the root of your drive

reboot and enjoy ...

sleep is is supposed to work with the DSDT file, but it is not working with my computer

shutdown did work once at least (without OpenHAltRestart.kext)

reboot did not, so I reinstalled OpenHAltRestart.kext

now reboot works, shutdown still works

sleep still gives me a kernel panic, but this computer being a server I don't care much :-)

As for Graphics is works perfectly, no artifact, resolution choices ...

All I have to do is

• replacing my kexts with these originals

• copy the DSDT.aml in /

• install the new Chameleon

?

If yes, I tried but it doesnt work :( i'm stuck with 1024*768. The only way is reinstalling the olds AppleIntelGMA950.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext. High resolutions are supported but still have artefacts.

I just reinstalled OSX on the k45

to start fresh with the webserver/emailserver/ftpserver

all you need is the dsdt.aml

I just compiled one for our k45 (all the info is there http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143340 )

anyway since I made one you don't have to recompile one

FIRST:

hopefully you have all the original kext (related to video drivers), because you need to use those...

if you are in 10.5.6: the orginal ones are here: ORIGINAL KEXT 10.5.6 (ONLY)

SECOND:

you must be using a booter that is compatible with reading DSDT.aml in the root of your disk

this one will do if you don't already have one compatible:

Chameleon PC EFI v9

FINALY:

Download my compiled DSDT.aml (compiled to work with K45, will very likely work with K48):

DSDT.aml.zip

copy the DSDT.aml file to the root of your drive

reboot and enjoy ...

sleep is is supposed to work with the DSDT file, but it is not working with my computer

shutdown did work once at least (without OpenHAltRestart.kext)

reboot did not, so I reinstalled OpenHAltRestart.kext

now reboot works, shutdown still works

sleep still gives me a kernel panic, but this computer being a server I don't care much :-)

As for Graphics is works perfectly, no artifact, resolution choices ...

I will try out the DSDT you put together. Can you show a snapshot of your "about my mac" with the gfx string etc shown? Thanks.

What are your BIOS settings regarding suspend?

Make sure you are using this one http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=42084

not the one from the main thread, this one is made for K45

That link doesn't take me to a topic. Can you post your edited file?

All I have to do is

• replacing my kexts with these originals

• copy the DSDT.aml in /

• install the new Chameleon

?

If yes, I tried but it doesnt work :( i'm stuck with 1024*768. The only way is reinstalling the olds AppleIntelGMA950.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext. High resolutions are supported but still have artefacts.

Yes

First could you tell me where I can experience an artifact without Office installed

to be sure it's 100% solved

at least I didn't see any

the only artifact I've experience before the DSDT or the previous kext I posted was a blinking mouse when it was located on a "blinking" button, like an "OK" button, or an icon on the dock

I tried renaming a file like your previous screen-shot, and the search box, but I don't have those problems

I don't know how well the chameleon works when installed over another booter

so that might be the reason

otherwise compile it yourself the link is on my previous post, it's not to hard to do if you follow the instruction (but careful there's one typo somewhere in the instruction)

but I don't think the DSDT is the problem, the exact same one should behave the same way

(I'm sure a different modification of the DSDT may solve the sleep problem though)

if that still doesn't work, then I would suggest reinstalling OSX and keep those original graphic related kext :hysterical:

I will try out the DSDT you put together. Can you show a snapshot of your "about my mac" with the gfx string etc shown? Thanks.

What are your BIOS settings regarding suspend?

Bios is set to "S3" sleep

and the option right below is set to "No" (or whatever there is, anyway it's a negative answer, not the default one)

post-309790-1235364554_thumb.png

post-309790-1235364565_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
from post #131 ?

i had no access at that moment to the computer, so i didn`t tried it out

i`ll give it a try, thou

can you post a new link to the kext... the link in this thread doesn't appear to work with the new forum

anyone having trouble with ps2 and ethernet in 10.5.6?

ethernet seems to drop out randomly after transferring over some files

fails to get an ip from my router via dhcp and i'll need to reboot to have it get an ip again

ps2 seems to die for no good reason after a reboot

i installed the old appleahpips2nub.kext and appleps2controller.kext with kexthelper and it works fine for the first reboot, when i go to reboot again it fails to detect my ps2 keyboard again ;)

anyone having trouble with ps2 and ethernet in 10.5.6?

ethernet seems to drop out randomly after transferring over some files

fails to get an ip from my router via dhcp and i'll need to reboot to have it get an ip again

ps2 seems to die for no good reason after a reboot

i installed the old appleahpips2nub.kext and appleps2controller.kext with kexthelper and it works fine for the first reboot, when i go to reboot again it fails to detect my ps2 keyboard again :(

I don't have a PS2 keyboard/mouse, so can't help for that

However I'm sure you may be able to fix you Ethernet by setting a static IP

the kext from this thread should work perfectly fine

Longtime lerker, reporting in with hackintosh attempt:

K45S

E1200

2x 1GB PC2-5300

40GB SATA

IDE DVDRW (powered by other PC)

Kalwary 10.5.2

Sound - Yes

Video multiple resolutions -Yes

One of those being 1360x768 - No :D

Network - Yes

10.5.6 Patch - No

Shutdown - No

Restart - No

Sleep - No

Upped the size of onboard to 256mb, set it to post onboard video before looking for pci-e. Set permanent full cpu fan speed. Set wake on ps2 input. Changed nothing else.

AVI playback is the most intensive thing I have tried, seems fine.

The {censored} that comes on the bottom of the E1200 heatsink is a nightmare to get off, K45S also comes with no exhaust fan but clear space for a 12cm one. No way to fit a slimline DVD drive without removing the faceplate or modifying it with metalwork.

hint: I have a 2x PS2 + VGA KVM switch lying around and it has been unbelievably useful.

what do you mean by keeping those original graphic kext ?

should i tick an option on install or what ?

thanks

you do your regular boot132 / retail disk install...

but then once the install is over you DON'T install these modified kext

(the modified ones where posted in this thread, so don't use them)

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

then you don't touch the original ones, leave them where they are, because they work perfectly (with dsdt)

Longtime lerker, reporting in with hackintosh attempt:

K45S

E1200

2x 1GB PC2-5300

40GB SATA

IDE DVDRW (powered by other PC)

Kalwary 10.5.2

Sound - Yes

Video multiple resolutions -Yes

One of those being 1360x768 - No ;)

Network - Yes

10.5.6 Patch - No

Shutdown - No

Restart - No

Sleep - No

Upped the size of onboard to 256mb, set it to post onboard video before looking for pci-e. Set permanent full cpu fan speed. Set wake on ps2 input. Changed nothing else.

AVI playback is the most intensive thing I have tried, seems fine.

The {censored} that comes on the bottom of the E1200 heatsink is a nightmare to get off, K45S also comes with no exhaust fan but clear space for a 12cm one. No way to fit a slimline DVD drive without removing the faceplate or modifying it with metalwork.

hint: I have a 2x PS2 + VGA KVM switch lying around and it has been unbelievably useful.

my setup is perfect and FAST (C2D E6600), any resolution (now in full HD 1920x1080 px),

except for sleep that does not work...(I get a kernel panic when it wakes up)

usb mouse and keyboard / IDE HD

read this thread you'll find all your answers...

kalyway is great for not so compatible motherboard, but the board in the K45 is very compatible with OSX

so if you want a close to perfect setup you really should use the original unmodified Retail OSX DVD along with boot-132 CD (or flash drive like I do) to boot on the DVD.

good luck

so if you want a close to perfect setup you really should use the original unmodified Retail OSX DVD along with boot-132 CD (or flash drive like I do) to boot on the DVD.

good luck

ok thanks ill try that. Is it complete functionality (shut down etc.) with no modification to retail?

ok thanks ill try that. Is it complete functionality (shut down etc.) with no modification to retail?

of course you'll have some modification to do

but it's very minimal

but no modification to the retail disk itself, just after the install

You'll can "safely" update with the integrated "software update"

"modifications" are:

installing a bootloader (chameleon, I'm sure I posted the latest version in one of my post here: 1.0.12)

and drivers(kext) (like you would have to do on a windows install)

which you'll find in this thread, look for the latest upload I did

it's a whole package of all the drivers (kext) you'll need

I'll let you figure out the rest by reading this thread, look for my post I'm sure I did a little how-to somewhere in this thread, or just read from the start and you'll learn even more...

and dsdt (for video), just read my latest post, it's all there in this thread

sleep doesn't work, that basically the only issue

I don't use PS2 mouse and keyboard, so I can't help you if you have that, you'll have to find drivers for that (should be the same for any hackintosh), but if you have USB mouse and keyboard than nothing else to do it will just work...

(actually as of now I don't even have a mouse and keyboard on this machine, it's almost cable free just ethernet and power :-) I use synergy to use the ones for my main machine (a hackintosh too but twice as fast))

today I just swapped the IDE HD 3.5" for a sata 2.5" (did the transfer using carbon copy cloner)

works great and a lot more silent

Another long time lurker and finally got OSX on my K45.

Here are my system specs:

k45

e2200 Pentium

2gig (2x1) Crucial DDR2-677 Ram

WD6400AAKS Blue 640 GIG SATA HD

Dell USB Keyboard and Micro$oft USB Mouse

I used an extra PATA LG DVD drive to install Kalyway 10.5.2 along with default bios settings. The machine has been up 18 hours without problems. I have noticed that sound and video (1024x768) worked but had a few problems that I tweaked the following settings:

- Never put to sleep

- Never turn off Hard Drive

I have also downloaded and successfully installed:

- Openoffice 3

- http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/ (works great!!)

- Firefox 3

I have tried to update to 10.5.6 using the cumulative software update but it has failed 3 times during the install and/or reboot. At this point I am not going to fiddle more as this machine will be available for my wife to learn OSX as she has her eyes on the recently update Mac Mini.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and hard work in this "hacktastic" adventure.

Travis

• 1 month later...

I am also running leopard 10.5.5 on K45. It has been running very well. However, the network becomes down from time to time. I tried 'ifconfig en1 down/up', but it doesn't work. I have to restart the machine to get the network back. Have you guys experienced similar thing? Anyone has a suggestion to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot!

I am also running leopard 10.5.5 on K45. It has been running very well. However, the network becomes down from time to time. I tried 'ifconfig en1 down/up', but it doesn't work. I have to restart the machine to get the network back. Have you guys experienced similar thing? Anyone has a suggestion to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot!

I'm running 10.5.6 using retail install (with a 10.5.4 disk)

and I have a modified dsdt for video support without video related kext...

kext I'm using are problably posted eralier in this thread...

never had major network issues

are you sure it's the network or is it just the bonjour service

(just ping something if it still works you'll know it's just the bonjour service)

if the bonjours service doesn't work you can still use the "Go" menu and "Connect to server"

(if that still doesn't work you trully have some networking issues)

bonjour doesn't work once and a while even on my workstation hackintosh ...

and I think it's more an OS issue than a hackintosh issue (in other words I'm sure real mac have that issue too) hoping an update will fix that... maybe the coming 10.5.7

• 1 month later...

hi there,

i've just installed on my girlfriend's Shuttle K48 MacOS X 10.5.6 Retail and upgraded it to 10.5.7

it's all working (except Sleep. but i've disabled it)

it's amazing!

thanks to everyone who contributed to making from a Shuttle barebone a Perfect Hackintosh machine :)

cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Got the k48 running retail thanks to this thread. Tried all of the sleep fixes noted without success.

Thanks again, my kids are garage banding constantly. If anyone finds a sleep fix don't forget to let us know.

I just got finished installing OSX 10.5.6 on a Shuttle K48:

- Celeron E1400

- 2GB PC5300 RAM

- LG DVDRW

- Hitachi 7200RPM 250GB SATA

I installed using a generic Boot 132 image and Retail. I then installed Kext Helper b7, and installed all the kext in the K45 pack.

It seems pretty stable. The only hiccup I have so far is that the network seems laggy. When I'm doing chat windows in Facebook, whenever someone responds back the computer locks up for a second until the reply comes up.

Other than that, everything seems to work except audio. I'll work on it some more and report back.

I intend on using this primarily for Garage Band and the iPhone SDK.