Leopard on a Shuttle K45 - MiniHack

orsodimare

267 posts in this topic

I used the DSDT for the display and sleep, using the original kext for the display.

The sleep now very sleep, the only problem now is when the system wakeup, the USB device error that take to much power.

You don't need it if your display is working. It detected my Monitor, I have the same settings like my XP using this monitor.

OK, thanks

well I have to do a detect display after every reboot to get my resolution right, that's the only issue with display

When I'll get my k45 back I'll try different DSDT, and see it fix my resolution and sleep problem (minor issues for me)

and see if I have the same usb power problem as you do...

I'm going to setup a k48 for my step mom, so I'll try to get every thing perfect

(I sold her old computer so she is using my k45 now)

The fan of my power supply is very noisy.

Is there any way of making it quiet ?

shuttle power supplies tend to be on the noisy side. you can always bypass the thermal sensor and put a rheostat to manually control the fan. you risk the power supply overheating if you don't know what you're doing though!

The fan of my power supply is very noisy.

Is there any way of making it quiet ?

yes

but you have to kill your warranty

so before you do that be sure than everything works...

my k45 power supply fan was very noisy so I opened my PSU and replaced the fan (not easy ... but possible...)

to be on the safe side, I used the old fan on the other side of the power supply running at very low speed pushing air into it

the new fan (exhaust) is now on a rheostat

I also added an exhaust fan on the case connected on the same rheostat

then when I do 3D rendering I put the fan speed to the max to be safe

The new k48's PSU fan was very quiet though, so no modification on that one

And 4GB (2 x 2GB) are supported on the k48 (windows xp 32bit by default won't see all of it of course ), I don't know about MacOS yet, but it should see it all

@ Eliade :

Thx Eliade. I will probably try that. If I succeed I will post a tuto with pictures. :)

More info:

you'll see, it's really not fun pulling out that fan, good luck and be patient when you do it... unless you want to unscrew the board, then it will be easy to change the fan, but the board might not be very easy to unscrew and put back together, unless you have a good strong small magnetic Philips screwdriver (I didn't)... I just unscrewed the box as much as I could and managed to take the fan out by a slow and gentle forcing out...

Of course unplug the power cable and let the PSU sit unopen for few minutes without power, because the capacitor in it may still hold some electricity, pressing the ON button with no power cable connected, may empty those capacitor instantly so you could start opening the PSU right away... that was just a little safety note ... it never hurts...

The fan is directly connected to the power supply (unless the plug was fully hidden under the white melted plastic protecting against shorts...), so you'll have to cut those and be sure that you have enough length to add a little tape on the tip of those wires coming out of the PSU board so that there are not possible short circuit ...

The fan is not fully enclosed in the PSU (open on the sides), so you'll be able to have the new fan's wires come out of one of those sides.... you'll see what I mean when you look at it...

the fan I used was one I already had (by chance), it came from a older south bridge cooling, but this fan sometimes makes some noise so I might have to change it in the near future replacing it with a brand new one... as long as I don't move the box it stays quiet... so it not a big issues, it's quiet for the moment...

And if you haven't already done it, add an exhaust fan on the case itself, even at low speed it will help pulling out hot air which is also surrounding the power supply so you could see that as a secondary cooling system cooling off the Power supply a little more.... :)

Now the noisier component is the HD, not much I can do about that except waiting for the prices of Solid State Drive to come down ...

Overall it's now a relatively quiet machine ... My fridge is a lot noisier when running... :rolleyes:

I installed Kalway 10.51 and IATKOS 10.5.4. on K45. It only boots if i leave the disc inside my SATA DVD Drive. I went to Preferences and Start Up disk. No start up disk is found. How to make it boot without leaving the disc inside DVD drive.

I installed Kalway 10.51 and IATKOS 10.5.4. on K45. It only boots if i leave the disc inside my SATA DVD Drive. I went to Preferences and Start Up disk. No start up disk is found. How to make it boot without leaving the disc inside DVD drive.

They are a method to boot on HD, its what I am using right now, its called PC-EFI V9, its a package that install in your root folder, use this file for the DSDT file http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=42084

Has anyone been able to install the Remote Disk feature from the MacBook Air onto a hackintosh? I would love to be able to never have hook up a DVD drive to my K45 and just use my MacBook Pro to read discs.

yes I did it on mine

but only after you finished installing MacOS of course

works exactly as on MacBook air, in other word it's kind of crippled you'll see with time, it's not detected as a drive like virtual drive program would do (ie cloneCD or daemontools on windows), but it's more like a simple shared folder with a fancy disk icon, but still very usefull like any shared folders...

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true

and reboot

and on your macbook pro don't forget to enable shared drive in the System preference -> sharing

Hi,

Is there a way to get the cpu temp sensor working ? and I also would like to see if intel speedstep is working, i tried MSR Tools but it doesn't work (app stop working at initializing) :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I have two of these units. Shuttle k45.

Bought one for my daughter and it ran so well I got another one for my wife.

Installed Jas 10.5.4 Client Server without the server option. Kalaway 10.5.2 worked too.

Default bios settings

CPU E2200 Dual Core

1x2GigRam

1x1GigRam

4 Gigs only sees 3300Megs.

Jas:

Used MBR Disk

TOH kernel latest

used Realteck NIC First

checked ICH7

Checked PIX ATA

Intel GMA950

Chose Mac Pro SMBIOS

Everything else was pretty much default. Might have checked PIX ATA twice

Install took about 36 minutes on IDE, 18 Minutes on SATA

once loaded up and rebooted. I noticed video artifacts so used pacifist and installed the GMA950 from Kalaway 10.5.2 and got resolution switching, Quartz and all Video stuff. I disable Power Option in Preferences so did not play with sleep.

Tried Yukon Kext from kalaway but ended up using one from the internet I thinks www.kexts.com yukon

as well kexts.com had the alc662 Audio worked fine

I think there might be intermittent problems with the Yukon, I know when I run Parallels 3 , (Paralells 4 required Supported CPU so didn't install), I lose the NIC and have to reboot to get the network card back. This is probably not a problem on Kalaway 10.5.2 but I havn't tested. Without Parallels running the NIC card "Wife and Daughter say runs fine"

Installed Ilife Full 2008, Office Mac 2008 performed software update and install all but MAC OS Combined. ie: I Movie needed Apple Updates patch to work. But all software works no complaints or errors about video.

The Only thing is that is driving me nuts is keeping the onboard GPU Cool. the onboard GPU gma950 overheats with the wimpy heatsink almost as soon as I turn it on and it shuts down. I have literally crazy glue a fan on the heatsink and now it sounds like an airplane but is very stable and a pretty awesome and cheap complete Mac.

Next step is to find a real GPU Heatsink that will fit and cool the GPU. Both the computers have the same GPU Heating Issue. and ...lol..both now have glued on fans.

I couldn't get any real temp sensors to work and nothing for the GPU Heat. Temperature Monitor from Marcel Bresink worked but had to try installing a couple versions till one installed. I don't have version number in the one that works. Only shows both CPU Cores but nothing else.

I've attached some kexts but you can find them fairly easily on the Internet.

ga945gcms2laudio_1608.dmg

Yukon.zip

GMA950_appleintelintegratedframebuffer_Folder.zip

I don't think I have artifact anywhere, My k45 is a Server machine so I don't actively use it with a monitor, but it runs 24/7

but for the time I was setting the system up I don't recall any artifacts

want to try my kexts

I found those somewhere, but I don't remember where :-)

k45_Graphic_driver.zip

they are installed in the S/L/E folder using kext helper