Leopard on a Shuttle K45 - MiniHack

orsodimare

267 posts in this topic

Apologies to everyone that has been messaging and mailing me for support on the Boot-132 method for the K45. But since I gave that PC to my girlfriend, I haven't gotten much chance to try things on it. But I will in the near future, so I ask just a little more patience from all of you. :D

has someone managed to fix the shutdown hangs ?

thanks

I had this happen to one of mine before but there is a shutdown package floating around somewhere trying to remember where it was at that helped me simply install it and your done. I will see if i can find it again i know i have a copy laying around if its small enough i will see about posting it up to see if this will fix your shutdown issue. If you want to see one of my Mac In a Box Silver Bullet check out Page 3 on this post.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, and thanks to all :)

I could set up my K45 to Leopard ! wow

BOOT-132(Shuttle.iso), Retail 10.5.4, AppleYukon2.kext changed, Software update to 10.5.5.

Have still some problems for Shutdown hangup, Video mode (1024x768), RDP hangup... I'll fix them someday.

chao! / takachan

Hi Folks,

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

Since I'm completely new in this, I would like to know if it is possible that someone post a complete step by step procedure to install OSX on the K45

Thanks in advance to all !

Cheers,

The dude.

Shuttle K45 - Intel Celeron Dual-Core E1200 - 1Gb ram - 160 Gb SATA hard drive

All other computers are running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

Hello, and thanks to all :hysterical:

I could set up my K45 to Leopard ! wow

BOOT-132(Shuttle.iso), Retail 10.5.4, AppleYukon2.kext changed, Software update to 10.5.5.

Have still some problems for Shutdown hangup, Video mode (1024x768), RDP hangup... I'll fix them someday.

chao! / takachan

In my monitor Acer P223w displays 1600x1200x32 mode in com.apple.Boot.plist setting by 1920x1200x32 .

My monitor may be 1680x1050 instead. Is this interlaced mode ?? ;)

My k48 hangs at the choose a language screen when using the shuttle.iso method. Anyone have this happen? I tried using the "generic iso" that is also floating around and get the same issue.

If you are referring to the endless loop of the welcome screen then read the solution in my previous posts. I think the shuttle.iso was pulled from the kexts I posted earlier but not sure how they are packaged.

Well finally got around to installing Chameleon and then editing the boot.plist so now my K45 starts up into Osx without any keyboard input. Sweet. Also found a GMA950 kext that plays well with 10.5.5.

Only issues are no mute and slight gfx tearing while editing filenames. Small issues.

Anyone else update to BIOS I for the K45? I am bothering Shuttle for the release notes but haven't gotten them. Still doesn't do 1333 FSB and I think I BIOS got rid of the Splash screen. Wonder why.....

One time Suspend work?: Setting ACPI suspend to S3 and disabling VGA BIOS + enabling PS2 hotkey wake along with the GMA950 kexts I found has allowed suspend to work just once. Odd

10.5.4 WORKING QUITE WELL ON K45 using original Mac os CD 10.5.4 and boot-132 usb flash drive to boot

Latest BIOS as of two days ago

Using IDE HD drive / Intel Core2Duo E6600 (with retail stock fan)

usb keyboard/mouse

installed MacOS using boot132 on a flash drive to boot and an external HD with Retail MacOS 10.5.4 on it

but you may do the install with a boot-132 disk and Retail 10.5.4 DVD

After 3 day of madness trying to get a good system (I love Mac OS, I don't want windows on that machine)

I finally have 10.5.4 working great

PRO:

CI/QE working

no mouse "flashing"

no mouse artifact

no graphic artifact...

screen resolution choices working

timemachine working

sound working input/output (haven't actually tested input but its active in the pref panel)

volume up/down

automatic CPU throttling: speedstep (if you don't want it don't load that kext)

reboot/ shutdown Working very well

Ethernet working

No keyboard input required during boot

Sleep Display

CON:

SLEEP machine won't work, not important to me (machine will stay on 24/7), it will sleep all right, but that's it, it won't go back to MacOS... so NOT WORKING

You must disable sleep if you don't want bad surprises

PS2 keyboard/mouse does not work in MacOS (don't care)

Mute button on keyboard, does not mute (don't care)

haven't tested much more, seems very stable so far

HOW TO:

look in this forum about boot-132

get the last boot132 iso link posted on this thread (the iso is called shuttle.iso)

or create a usb flash drive instead (it's so much easier once you figure out how to make one) using the initrd.img from the shuttle.iso

- boot into the install MacOs retail 10.5.4 CD using boot132 iso you downloaded

install Mac os

- boot into Mac os using boot 132

NOW you need to prepare your initrd.img from the boot132

10 kext are needed:

found in initrd.img from the shuttle.iso I talked about: (min reqs to boot into mac os or into the retail DVD)

dsmos.kext

Intelcpupmdisabler.kext

SMBiosEnabler.kext

ACPIPS2Nub.kext (Panic during boot without it in 10.5.5)

look in this thread for the restart/reboot fix (nice thing to have when installing Macos, otherwise may hang when reboot is called):

(in my opinion a min req too)

OpenHaltRestart.kext

for ethernet:

IONetworkingfamily.kext (in this thread too)

for sound input/ouput:

HdaEnable.kext

and

AppleHda.kext

(in this thread too kext by dr Hurt)

cpu throttling (you can see it working using MSR Tools in this forum):

GenericCPUpowermanagent.kext (look for in the forum for it)

Video, screen resolution:

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

from kalyway 10.5.2

the one you get when you install it and choose GMA 950 in the display driver during install , copy it from System/Extention

that's it for boot-132 initrd.img

NOW you need to install AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and AppleHDA,kext in the system I used Kext Helper b7 for that

because they are not loaded from boot-132, don't know why ...

add

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>4</string>

to com.apple.Boot.plist

(if you don't do that you have to press enter during startup)

(change the 4 to whatever time delay you want in sec)

reboot

first time I rebooted (screen resolution was set auto automatically to wanted 1680x1050, but not after the next reboot)

Once this is all done, use timemachine to backup you clean and fresh working system and store that somewhere, may need it later

and you can use it to reinstall it by booting it the retail dvd and do a restore using TM backup, did it already

then if you want faster startup (boot-132 from flash drive takes 1min+ to boot)

use CHAMELEON_DFE_FOR_HARD_DISK (should be on the shuttle.iso you downloaded from this thread)

(use the kext from our custom initrd )

boots in few seconds...

Hope that helps

I need to work now

Have fun with MacOS

I'll later try to update to 10.5.5

About the K45

PSU fan was the worst thing ever super loud and a high pitch sound, shame on Shuttle for that

but I voided my warranty to replace the PSU fan with one I had and under-volted it to run slower

added an case exhaust fan

the shuttle K45 in now super quiet

and the PSU is not too hot

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE INFORMATIONS AND CUSTOM KEXT CREATORS