Kalyway 10.5.2 : install dvd kernel panic

Annoid

69 posts in this topic

Got the same kernel panic too

Downloaded the Kalyway 10.5.1 burned it on an DVD with a sata burner. Restarted my PC and put the CD in.

My specs:

Asus P5N-E SLI bios 0901

8800GTS 640MB

4096MB ram

Intel E4300@3.1 GHz

74 gig raptor for windows SATA

500 Gig for files SATA

320 Gig for files SATA

and 40Gig IDE to install leopard on.

I have an SATA DVD burner/reader if that have nothing to do with this.

Hi, it's me again.

I also downloaded the leo4allv3 release and I came very far: I installed it on my Dell with no problems, then solved the "still waiting for root device" problem - and got the same Kernel panic as before as the system was booting. I don't know what it is, but it seems to be a big problem. We all know that Kalyway and the leo4all release are no official versions and something like this can happen - but it's always sad when your hardware is on the list of the 5% not working notebooks. And atm I have no doubt that I have incompatible hardware for the new releases.

Does anyone has some experience with the 1.5.1 Kalyway release? Is the same problem happening there also? Would be good to know, maybe I give this release a try. But as the download takes a feeled eternity, it would be great if some of you can post their experience.

• 2 weeks later...
The problem is caused in the following file:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Info.plist

In that directory you'll also notice an Info.plist.orig

This was something I was experimenting with based on some information provided by Slice. In theory it should have been a good change but in practise it did nothing but cause crashes. I disabled it in my build process but for some reason Kalyway decided to add it and it was missed in his own testing.

The solution is difficult because you need to overwrite the Info.plist with the Info.plist.orig to restore it to working values. Obviously on a read only media this is going to be a problem. I'm hoping Kalyway provides a PPF to fix this.

Hi Dense,

I did try replace "Info.plist" with "Info.plist.orig" then restart the installation. Unfortunatelly it's still not working..... :(

Do you have any other ideas which could solve this problem? Thanks in advance!!! :)

Hi Dense,

I did try replace "Info.plist" with "Info.plist.orig" then restart the installation. Unfortunatelly it's still not working..... :)

Do you have any other ideas which could solve this problem? Thanks in advance!!! :(

Hi all,

Maybe someone have this way worked but unfortunatelly at least not me... But this morning I followed a method from another forum and now Kalyway 10.5.2 is running on my Toshiba m50 laptop! However it's not a easy way to a read-only installation media either.

What I did is try to get a kernel file "tohkernel" (4.8mb) and add it to the root of Kalyway 10.5.2 dvd, at the begining of installation press F8 then type just tohkernel instead of either -v or -x. Then I passed all the installation process!

Now it's running, though I still have problems with ethernet, wifi and also resolution of graphic card.

Hope it helped! :(

• 2 weeks later...

I added the Tohkernel 9.2.2 but still no go...I pasted it in the iso root for dvd installation and burned via disk utility. Then at the boot pressed f8 and typed tohkernel and still no go. But i was reading and found that there are various kernel which you can boot with them such as modbinkernel, speedstepkernel, kabylkernel and nforcekernel. i will try to load with one of them and post the results...Also another thing that we might do load into the darwin loader with -s (single mode) and then when booted (if it boots) try the following:

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMC.kext

exit

this code will remove the AppleSMC.kext so that the installation will boot at least that's what i read from a another forum

I tried all the above possibilities write above but still no go...Any help is highly appreciated... and bdw can you please tell me where is the Info.plist.orig because I can't find it

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still getting caught at this point:

[Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_386]

line while booting the DVD installer, it still never gets past that point. I used a modified version of the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk as referred to in this thread/

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...8915&st=20#

but have had no luck. Anybody offering suggestions, I am all ears.Maybe something else to be edited out of the installer?

Tonight I was going to try 10.4.10 and maybe the kalyway disk preparer to see if any of that moves my situation along.

thanks for reading!

kenny

hai all,

me to iam facing this problem.

my laptop specs.

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor - TK-53 (1.7GHz, 512kB L2 Cache combined)

* Nvidia nForce 610M chipset

* Nvidia GeForce 7000M onboard graphics capable of up to 256MB VRAM (shared)

* 1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM (512MBx2)

* 160GB 5400RPM 2.5-inch SATA HDD

* 8x DVD Burner with Dual Layer Support

* 14.1-inch WideScreen Acer CrystalBrite LCD (glossy display) capable of 1280×800 resolution

* 802.11b/g WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet

* Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

* 5-in-1 multiple card reader (SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)

* Integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam (VGA/0.3 megapixel)

* S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) output for digital speakers

* ExpressCard Slot (Express Card/54)

pls anyone give me solution.

I'm still looking for some direction regarding getting this to work, I have edited the aformentioned problem plist file out of the iso/dmg and reburnt/attempted to install, but it still hangs at the [Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_386] section.

Any suggestions on where to look for a resolution would be appreicated.

Kenny

• 2 weeks later...

my problem is looking like a bad bios update from the manufacturer's website that crippled the running of OSX [5.13>5.07], so they are dowgrading for me, others with the exact same computer were having successes and I wasnt and that was the big difference, so while thats happening, I got no better info. Hopefully someone see this re-occurring issue on a variety of systems and go from there, but I guess the key info here, is that I narrowed it down to a bios issue, so maybe you should re-look at those settings on your configuration?

kenny

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys

I have this issue and am wondering how to edit the file names of Info.plist and Info.plist.orig

I have tried using MagicISO and many other different iso editing programs but can't see to get it to recreate the iso correctly. any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm am border lining on going crazy at this point.

• 1 month later...

Same problem with an Asus A6J laptop.

In fact, after installing 10.5.1 then the 10.5.3 combo update, I can only boot by typing 'vanilla' at darwin prompt, thus using my old 9.1. vanilla kernel...

With kalyway 10.5.2 cd, same problem as above...

Any ideas please ? thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here

it stucks at

Not OS Version Set ( or something like that)

Toshiba Satellite L45

Pentium Dual Core

1.5 gb ram

Im currently using iAtkos first release and works like a charm, but i wanted to update. BTW kalyway never work 4 me either :blink: