9800 GTX working in OSX86

aqua-mac

522 posts in this topic

Hi Apfrost,

That is a shame. Things you have to have installed for GFX strings to work with Core Image and Quartz:

1. Update 10.5.2

2. 10.5.2 Graphics update

3. EFI_V8

4. All the kexts from my first post.

5. Delete Natit/NVInject.

If you are going to use GFX Strings you must delete Natit or NVInject from your extensions folder.

Well the strangest thing happened. I checked the to see if nvinject was still in the extensions folder and it was! So i deleted it again along the extension cache the rebooted and it started to work. The second obstacle I'm running into is that is only detect 256MB of VRAM.

I'm at work currently but will give it another try this evening. I think I'm going to start with a fresh install.

By the way, I also have the 256mb issue but first I will have to enable quartz. When I succeed with that, hopefully aqua-mac is willing to help me to bring the in.plist to 512mb?

Wooohoooo, works like a charm. :)

Did a fresh OSX install, Quartz is now enabled. Below the output from system profiler.

@Aqua-mac, may I send you my in.plist? Vram is at 256mb currently.

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0612

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 0x000000a1

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

AQUA MAC help me!! plleeezzzee!!!

I installed the evga geforce 9800 GTX card in my early 2008 dual quad core 2.8GHZ MAC PRO a little while ago and have been searching for WEEKS for a post like this. So first off.. THANK YOU, this info is hard to find!!! ok so I was following your instructions with regards to NVinject and everything was going smoothly... did everything in order EXCEPT I FORGOT TO DELETE THE Extensions.mkext FOLDER BEFORE RESTARTING!!! and now every time I restart I get to the grey mac boot screen and it just freezes, dark gray transparent screen wipes down over and a mesage pops up saying I need to restart... SAME TING HAPPENZ EVERY TIME!!! aaaahh!!! is there any way I can access my drive and delete that folder? I've tried holding shift for safe boot, or x for force install... still get the same thing. do you think my not deleting that folder is whats causing this? and second... if worse comes to worse I'll just reinstall leopard, but when you say restart... do you mean "turn off comp, and switch DVI connection to 9800GTX from my 2600XT mac edition?? or just leave my monitor plugged in to the 2600XT... sry bout all this.. please help!! thanks a million!!!

Kicker Weston,

The 9800 GTX I got working, is only for Hackintosh, not Mac Pro. If it was NVInject you installed that is causing your computer not to boot, then follow the following instructions to remove it at boot.

boot with -s

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVInject.kext

exit

Good Luck.

Oh MY goodness!! haha,

Thank you man, frig, my bad. wasn't even paying attention to that fact. Ok so there's no way on the real mac right. impossible?? cause basically what I'm trying to do is like, I don't mind leaving two cards in there... eg. 2600XT for OSX and my 9800 GTX for vista boot camp. But the problem is every time I boot to windows with both cards, EFI ALWAYS boots with the mac 2600XT, even after I physically uninstalled the 2600XT from the device manager in windows, it shows up as "generic vga adapter" no way to get around this eh??

Sisyphe,

What you are seeing is usual for that test on all cards I have tested and the latest version of Open GL Viewer. I do not have any Doom 3 problems though on 8800 GTX or 9800 GTX. Unfortunately, I do not have a Mac Pro to test in. When I borrowed one to test in it did not like my 8800 GTX and would not chime with it in position.

Thanks for your answer, I was wondering as this test was working properly with my X1950XT.

For Doom 3, it seems that the screen is split horizontally by the middle in 2 parts that are not synchronised, especially when you move quickly.

I'll try with Quake Wars and let you know.