InsanelyMac blocked by my ISP!

13 posts in this topic

Why don't you write them asking what the hell their problem is?

I will send an email but I don't expect a reply. Thought the site had been taken down or was under a sustained DoS attack, but after using google to check out for any news/posting of problems tried a proxy on a hunch.

My ISP are evil, Tech Support is telephone only and is actually charged for unless you prove a connection problem is their fault (but changing soon due to a customer revolt).

On top of that they've just jumped into bed with a spyware company of old:-

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/page.php?2

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_roundup/

thingi

...so why don't you switch ISPs?

1. Tied into a year long contact (about four months left).

2. Cheap (due to the bargin I stuck with em' last year 20mb bb for £17.50 with no caps but no more than 4gb between 4pm and midnight each day or the connection drops to 4mb til two hours after midnight. Some customers were very unhappy but Transmission has lovely preferences and I can vnc back to my mac while at work whenever I want anyway:-)

3. The nearest local exchange is quite close but it's limited to 8mb. From the distance from the exchange I'd get about 6.5mbps. No date for 24mb.

4. For the amount I download a slow ADSL line without nasty caps would be about 25 quid a month + I'd have to change my phone line and get skanked on rip off line rental too.

The UK sucks when it comes to net access. The free deals aren't free and the alternative's I've got are of limited appeal.

thingi

I was considering switching to VirginMedia but had no idea they were this bad.

Currently with Sky ADSL on supposedly 16MB (get 8MB) and my contract runs out soon.

Skys connection has dropped out a few times (maybe once a month for a few minutes) but one think I have liked about them is I can (as for as I've been aware) download as much as I like without being limited.

Also you said they apply 'Traffic Shaping' between 4pm and midnight:

And it's important to remember that these traffic management policies only apply during peak times (4pm till 9pm) – as this is when the speeds are likely to be affected by people using more than their fair share.

Also:

Here are some details about the different thresholds for each broadband service:

Broadband Size: M

During peak times, the top 3% of downloaders on the Size: M package download at least 300MB of traffic each, with the top 3% of uploaders uploading at least 150MB of traffic each.

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till 9pm) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 1Mb, with their upload speed set to 128Kb. This will last for 5 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.

Broadband Size: L

During peak times, the top 3% of downloaders on the Size: L package download at least 800MB of traffic each, with the top 3% of uploaders uploading at least 325MB of traffic each.

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till 9pm) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 1Mb, with their upload speed set to 128Kb. This will last for 5 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.

Broadband Size: XL

During peak times, the top 3% of downloaders on the Size: XL package download at least 3GB of traffic each, with the top 3% of uploaders uploading at least 1250MB of traffic each.

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till 9pm) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed - their download speed will be set to 5Mb, with their upload speed set to 192Kb. This will last for 5 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.

The main problem I've heard from VM customers, is that their customer service is close to useless. So not sure how far you're going to get with that.

Sorry :blink:

I am on Virgin Media and I am browsing just fine. My friend is also browsing just fine aswell. Some of our forum server techs are with Virgin Media and if they did somehow block it then they would definitely be in contact. It may be a problem at your end. If your sure it isn't then phone VM up and let the indian guy walk you through the steps ( I am Indian myself and I just adore Indian tech support ) :(

Since this is a forum/site problem the best place to put it is the Forum information and Feedback

PS: If anyone else on Virgin Media is having this problem then please do post.