Make Firefox 2 and older extensions work with newer Firefox!

~pcwiz

17 posts in this topic

Since the Firefox 3 betas and all (AdBlock Plus was disabled in b5, yikes!), lots of old favorite extensions have been disabled. In most cases these extensions will still work fine, except for that Firefox doesn't let you. Heres how to disable the compatibility check:

1) In the address bar type in "about:config" (without quotes) and hit enter

2) Accept any warnings that come up about modifying dangerous settings

3) Right click where all the values are and choose New >> Boolean

4) Enter this as the name:

extensions.checkCompatibility

5) Set the boolean value to false

6) Restart Firefox!

This got my beloved AdBlock Plus extension working in Firefox 3.0b5

Yeah, just installed b5 on Vista today. I had b4 before. Supposedly they were going to do an overhaul of the interface in b5, but all I see is a new look for the tabs. But its more solid than b4, and once the extension devs adapt to it, I think Firefox 3 is ready for prime time :P I could deal with the loss of other extensions, but not my favorite AdBlock Plus, so I used the mentioned hack to bypass the compatibility check. It doesn't work fully as it did with b4, the blockable items doesn't work and some ads (like on InsanelyMac) aren't blocked but it works for the most part.

Anyway, Mozilla is certainly doing a great job ;)

Yeah, just installed b5 on Vista today. I had b4 before. Supposedly they were going to do an overhaul of the interface in b5, but all I see is a new look for the tabs. But its more solid than b4, and once the extension devs adapt to it, I think Firefox 3 is ready for prime time :( I could deal with the loss of other extensions, but not my favorite AdBlock Plus, so I used the mentioned hack to bypass the compatibility check. It doesn't work fully as it did with b4, the blockable items doesn't work and some ads (like on InsanelyMac) aren't blocked but it works for the most part.

Anyway, Mozilla is certainly doing a great job :)

b5 is working better for me than b4. I wish they'd add Aero/DWM support for the Windows versions. It's kinda annoying that IE looks better. :)

Yeah, just installed b5 on Vista today. I had b4 before. Supposedly they were going to do an overhaul of the interface in b5, but all I see is a new look for the tabs. But its more solid than b4, and once the extension devs adapt to it, I think Firefox 3 is ready for prime time :) I could deal with the loss of other extensions, but not my favorite AdBlock Plus, so I used the mentioned hack to bypass the compatibility check. It doesn't work fully as it did with b4, the blockable items doesn't work and some ads (like on InsanelyMac) aren't blocked but it works for the most part

If you install the latest nightly build of Adblock Plus, it has full support with b5.