Paul Thurrott posts new Windows 7 screens

apowerr

17 posts in this topic

Source

Windows 7 Build 6519 Screenshot Gallery

A few weeks back, the first external build of Windows 7, the next version of Windows, fell into my hands. I installed it initially in just a virtual machine and took hundreds of shots, and that's what you're looking at here. Essentially, Windows 7 build 6519--dating back to December 2007--is just a slightly enhanced version of Windows Vista. My guess--and at this point, it's just a guess--is that things will change more significantly over time. But even in this early build, a number of interesting developments emerge. I'll have more to say about that in the days ahead. For now, enjoy this first screenshot gallery. It won't be the last.

Here are the interesting ones, the rest are available in the link provided.

win7_6519_15_sm.jpg

win7_6519_13_sm.jpg

win7_6519_07_sm.jpg

win7_6519_10_sm.jpg

dude no offence, its just windows vista, with a edited version number and a edited operating system name can't you tell the difference

its FAKE

you will see what it looks like in a few years

omg windows 8 :) just kidding

see, its like doing what this guy did lmao

dude no offence, its just windows vista, with a edited version number and a edited operating system name can't you tell the difference

its FAKE

you will see what it looks like in a few years

omg windows 8 :) just kidding

see, its like doing what this guy did lmao

It's not fake, they just didn't change the UI. Go take a look at the first builds of Longhorn (Vista in early stages) and you'll see that it looks just like XP with a few extras.

Go take a look at the first builds of Longhorn (Vista in early stages) and you'll see that it looks just like XP with a few extras.

Exactly what I was going to say. I read somewhere that Vista had had major rewrites (from XP), but of course, that could happen gradually. Example - I read that the Doom 3 engine started with incremental improvements/additions to the Quake 3 engine, but was eventually rewritten part by part.

The screenshots are not very interesting as it is nothing new visually. It is what has changed "under the hood" that I want to know. Vista has good looks now and that is really not what Microsoft needs to work on (at least not much). It is the responsiveness and core system that needs a rewrite.

The screenshots are not very interesting as it is nothing new visually. It is what has changed "under the hood" that I want to know. Vista has good looks now and that is really not what Microsoft needs to work on (at least not much). It is the responsiveness and core system that needs a rewrite.
Just what I was thinking.

It could be fake, but Microsoft has a habit of this now...Changing the code up some, but keeping the same UI or altering it just a bit. If the actual screenshots were posted this week, I could understand since Microsoft announced Windows 7 could be released by next year.

The fact that this is coming from Paul Thurrott should be enough to prove its legitimacy. If you are familiar with the development of Windows at all, then you would know that all early alphas look identical to their predecessor.

The fact that this is coming from Paul Thurrott should be enough to prove its legitimacy. If you are familiar with the development of Windows at all, then you would know that all early alphas look identical to their predecessor.

Yes and the fact that this is a little too late for April Fools. Besides, has Paul Thurrott ever played a prank?

Come on guys - Leopard looked like Tiger in the early builds, no?

It probably is legitimate, considering he is pretty much up MS' proverbial rear end.

Apple != Microsoft

I don't care if it look like Windows98, I want them to concerntrate more funtionality this time.

Looks like they have finally REimplementing the ability to change font size in Windows.

Just how stupid it is that they leave something as simplistic and necessary as that.

After using Mac a bit I feel like it is strange that the Windows designers haven't learned or copy

something from MacOS. I think Windows should make two version, Basic and Professional

(not home and professional that it is right now), and have the Basic version UI be more friendly,

but functional which will reappeal to the people. This was not done in Vista, which was just a bloated piece of

{censored}, everything was so glowy, my pupil couldn't concerntrate on anything at once, and do away

with that dark gloomy theme, makes me feel like I'm some freeky techophile guy whenever using it.

Treat the user like they are real human beings instead of trying to impress them and fail.