10.5.2 Users: Bring Back Translucent Menus!

50 posts in this topic

You guys were right on the permissions thing. Using Disk Utility to repair those WON'T fix them properly and you'll have the icon bug.

You need to set them manually through the terminal, as explained in the tutorials.

Now everything works fine :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah, I don't understand what you all are talking about. I have no problem with translucency at all. Were your menus totally opaque or something? Maybe this wasn't an issue for me because I'm not on a real mac, or maybe because I have an AMD release? Totally confused :P

You guys can look at the screenshot to see what they're talking about. The update in 10.5.2 refered to a translucent menu BAR, not necessarily the menus themselves. If you recall back at 10.5.1 (ages ago I know), both the menu bar and the menus themselves were translucent. In 10.5.2, you have the option to make the menu bar translucent but the menus themselves are solid no matter what.

I personally think translucent menus are similar to the bar, in which they look nice, but end up being more distracting than anything. I like it more the way it is, but it would be great of Apple to easily give users the option to toggle between modes they offered in the past. Just a simple checkbox is all we need.

Sorry Yuusharo, but I am still clueless as to what you guys are talking about. I'll post a screenshot of my menus if you want...they're bloody translucent for chrissakes! You know what...maybe 10.5.2 made them less translucent than they were, and on top of that, your monitors may also be too bright to see that smaller amount of translucency now (i.e. your colors are "blown out"). otherwise, i must have some kind of fancy-shmancy installation going on over here, because my menus have always been translucent...no mod necessary. i'm still confused... :D:):wacko:

EDIT: Here you go, I just couldn't resist. I didn't change a single thing. They've been like this forever. What's more, I noticed for the first time that there seems to be more than just translucency going on. There's also a slight blur as well! :)

post-66307-1206433837_thumb.png

Sorry Yuusharo, but I am still clueless as to what you guys are talking about. I'll post a screenshot of my menus if you want...they're bloody translucent for chrissakes! You know what...maybe 10.5.2 made them less translucent than they were

Same thing for me. I didn't even notice they were less translucent than they were before. I think I'm going to stick with the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" rule.

an Easy Installer I've done....

Download it here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=78OJZ116

Install, log out, log in. Thats it.

Include a RestoreDefaults.pkg in case you dont like the transparency after all.

This is awesome, thanks a lot! :P

Although I have to say, the RestoreDefaults didn't work for me when I tested it.

Not that I care - my menus look beautiful again :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This does not work in 10.5.3

After updating, I get this error:

Process:		 loginwindow [403]
Path:			/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow
Identifier:	  loginwindow
Version:		 ??? (???)
Code Type:	   X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [1]

Date/Time:	   2008-05-29 21:01:12.550 -0400
OS Version:	  Mac OS X 10.5.3 (9D34)
Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
 Symbol not found: _kCUIVariantMenuBarOpaque
 Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox
 Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/CoreUI

worked like a charm!

a small tweak but a sexy one.

agreed. nice.

For those of you, who by some weird twist, are having problems, here is a much simpler guide by richthomas of macrumors.

1. downloaded the files

2. booted into my external drive.

3. opened /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/ and backed up HIToolbox, then deleted it and replaced it with Stratus Fear's one.

4. did the same for CoreUI in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/ and SArtFile.bin in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/

5. entered this command into the Terminal

sudo chmod 755 /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/CoreUI && sudo chmod 644 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SArtFile.bin

[macrem's command which sets the permissions for all 3 files]

6. booted into my main hard drive and enjoyed the view!

{you must move all three files to their locations, once done, the terminal code above that is all written out, is much easier to work.}

-Robbie

• 4 weeks later...