Safari 3.1 Released!

42 posts in this topic

The new Safari has some cool new features. Definitely refreshing news for any developers like me. I hope full CSS3 support is added soon to all browsers. Me wants 3 piece background images :blink:

The new version has the faster Javascript execution, which Firefox 3 beta has too. Firefox 3 is much faster than Firefox 2, but Safari still launches the fastest.

Please source the "but Safari still launches the fastest". Cnet has already done benchmarks specifically for javascript execution with firefox 3.0 beta 4 and safari 3.

Sorry mate, but honestly, who would care about Windows Vista?

I do since there is no performance being improved when not using drop shadows. It's just Apple refusing to follow the UI design guide lines that Windows has. Of course they don't seem to follow their own UI guide lines either by not having a menu bar at the top for iTunes I recall. You also seem to forget also that the vista gui is on your graphics card and not cpu dependant anymore. Unless of course if you turn off aero, which I'm not foolish to do.

I'm a huge supporter of open source so I usually use firefox on the 3 main desktop os's. On Windows, its nice to have a khtml browser... but it lacks 'openness'. Few addons like safariblock work on the windows side and downloads are slow compared to using downloadthemall on FF, but for browsing it is the fastest and nicest looking browser on windows. But editing things like wordpress doesn't work right.

Then again I'm on windows only to game and browse so gg. :P

EDIT: Glad to see more sites work with khtml though because of safari (like gmail).

Please source the "but Safari still launches the fastest". Cnet has already done benchmarks specifically for javascript execution with firefox 3.0 beta 4 and safari 3.
No official tests done. Just my experience/opinion. On my PC at home, a Celeron 1200mhz with 512mb RAM running Windows XP, the fastest launching browser is actually IE 6 (yuck), followed by Safari 3.1 (yay!), followed by Firefox 3 beta 4 (very nice browser), and then Firefox 2. (kinda slow).

I haven't tried out IE 7 or 8 beta, nor Opera, as Firefox + Safari are all I ever need.

No official tests done. Just my experience/opinion. On my PC at home, a Celeron 1200mhz with 512mb RAM running Windows XP, the fastest launching browser is actually IE 6 (yuck), followed by Safari 3.1 (yay!), followed by Firefox 3 beta 4 (very nice browser), and then Firefox 2. (kinda slow).

I haven't tried out IE 7 or 8 beta, nor Opera, as Firefox + Safari are all I ever need.

So then in your case IE was the fastest, not Safari as you had said before.

i use firefox 2 & 3, safari and occasionally IE7. at the end of the day, the xtensions in firefox 2 are still the deal breaker for me. its nice to have such a high degree of customization. i can't wait for FF3 to come out of its beta stages so more add-on developers will start supporting it.