Installing on Dell Inspiron 530

ThaShef

163 posts in this topic

The onboard NIC kext didn't work for me. Are other people having luck with it?

Yes. I installed the kext with os86tools and it worked instantly.

I'm running iAtkos i5 (I honestly cannot find a comparison or what's different about all these different 'distros').

You didn't disable the lan in the bios did you?

Yes. I installed the kext with os86tools and it worked instantly.

I'm running iAtkos i5 (I honestly cannot find a comparison or what's different about all these different 'distros').

Indeed. I don't know what differences there are between an iAtkos install and a Kalyway either.

You didn't disable the lan in the bios did you?

That's a great question, but I went and looked and I didn't. :) Oh well. Maybe it's not meant to be.

People on the blog where the kext is located were reporting power-saving problems (like the NIC not working after waking the computer from 'sleep') I'm just curious if you have the same problem.

Thanks

Hi,

I was using the install by mystius C on InsanelyMac.com, of Leopard. Since I was using the vanilla kernel just fine, I thought I could download and use Apple's 10.5.6 combo update. I did look at some of the forums and followed instructions to create the DSDT file, and yet my system now crashes. I am proficient with computers but a noob at this, and made the stupid mistake of only having everything backed up through Time Machine. So I cannot boot now. I can get past the hang where it says "waiting for root device" by naming the drive when the chamelon / darwin loader starts up, but then I get a kernel panic I don't understand. I wish I could take something like iAtkos i5 and install it over my current non-functional installation. Could I try this?

Since I can no longer load OSX, I can access the OSX startup drive only through MacDrive while I'm in my Vista installation.

Is there anyone who can help me? I'd be happy to take a screen shot of the kernel panic, or follow any other instructions... would prefer to not have to start all over and do not have experience with whether Time Machine can fully bring me back to where I was before the 10.5.6 Combo Update. I have Time Machine use a separate drive though.

My computer is a Dell 530 Intel Core 2 Quad with 6 G of Ram, and my OS X86 is on a separate internal hard drive.

Thanks! Andrew

You can try another method of installing to bring you up to 10.5.6 or wherever you want to go. Start up the Migration Assistant in your Utilities folder to transfer your accounts and settings from your TM backup.

I have everything working dandy up to 10.5.4 using Kalyway. Can you update this to 10.5.5 and further using the "while sleep" trick, or do I have to try the iDeneb or retail install route? I tried updating to 10.5.5 once before and got a kernel panic before the update had even finished installing.

i've been reading this thread getting a feel for doing an install on a 530 - but i've got one critical question i haven't really found an answer for...

is anyone using firewire with this box? and if so, have you used it with a firewire audio i/o interface like a TC Electronics or ECHO audiofire or the like?

i've been reading this thread getting a feel for doing an install on a 530 - but i've got one critical question i haven't really found an answer for...

is anyone using firewire with this box? and if so, have you used it with a firewire audio i/o interface like a TC Electronics or ECHO audiofire or the like?

I'm using the firewire that comes with the computer fine :( I havent used any audio things, but i have/can use my dv camera to record video (and use it as a webcam)

And it worked perfectly. Just letting you know it can be done..And when I say perfectly, I say, it installs fine. Still need the power off/shutdown fixes and sound--both from this thread

What boot-123 did you use?

I wasn't able to boot into the OS X installation with boot-123, so I had to use iAtkos but I'd still rather use the boot-123 method.

I have tried once to install Tiger on my old Thinkpad T40. It was pleasant apple experience however the laptop was a little bit old so I found it is much faster to run Ubuntu instead of Tiger.

Now I have got my Dell 530 on my desk, I want to dive into another hachintosh tour.

I am pretty interested in the boot 132 method but in this post I could not see many successful examples. If any of you have successful experiences, would you mind to post it here, with more detail how you did it?

Currently my Dell 530 has a 500G hard disk and I have Vista running on it. I have split the disk into several partitions to store data; on top of it, I also installed Ubuntu (with Windows installer method). I am pretty happy with the current setup now and I do want to keep Vista and Ubuntu running while I am doing my osx86 project.

Sorry for the long talk and here comes my first question (it's pretty naive I guess):

I have a feeling that if I just make another partition from the existing 500G harddisk and install osx86, things will go out of control and I'll not be able to get back into my Vista or Ubuntu any more - I am not so familiar with the multiple boot method yet and still struggling to understand how mbr works. This thought leave me another option: buy another harddisk and install it as the secondary one, so that during the boot up session I could select which hard disk to boot - as long as I keep the first hard disk untouched, I'll always have my Vista and Ubuntu. Is this correct?

My second question is:

Shall I get one of the modified leopard ISO, or go ahead with the new boot 132 method? Either way, I'll face the situation to fix several general 530 problems (NIC, sound, video, restart/sleep etc.). But it seems that the boot 132 method could make the fix once for all - saving troubles in the future updates. The only concern I have now is whether I'll be able to get the boot 132 installation smoothly - I haven't seen many successful stories yet. So guys, if you have any good boot 132 story, pls tell me!

Hi guys

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 running iAktos ( installed from the last version, then upgraded from apple to 10.5.6 )

Everything works smoothly *but* the sleep function which is a bit of a shame .

So .. I managed to get the rest to work ( machine running an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 at 2.4 Ghz / 3 Gb of RAM / Ati Radeon HD 2600 driving a Dell 3008 WFP screen ) using differents kext(s) I've found around .. though i'm not sure if everything was good to install. I'm using the onboard soundcard, changed my NIC to a Netgear GA311 (but i had the onboard one working).

Vanilla Kernel & Chameleon acting as the bootloader

My system used to crash when I was using the onboard NIC but it doesnt anymore so I suppose ... the new NIC did the trick but its not sure

We kinda miss a *clear* topic giving the best instructions coz finding the good tips is difficult!

- back to what i wanted to say originally : what do you use to get sleep to work properly ?

Thank you so much

after working with both the boot 123 and the kalyway 10.5.2, i find it much smoother experience with kalyway. the machine was up for two days and no crashes, whereas with the retail leopard install, iphoto crashed randomly and i had other random kernel panics. i think kalyway is the way to go

I installed using ideneb as described on the 10.5.2 HCL . I used a cheap NIC from best buy ($17 I think). Everything has been great - very stable until recently. I added 4GB RAM (to my existing 2GB) to make 6GB total and upgraded the bios to latest (revision 16 I believe) so that I could use more than 3.25GB of it. I read on other threads that I may have to update the SATA drivers since they do not always play nice addressing things in 64bit space. Anyone have any experiences with this machine and > than 3.25GB memory?

I have the latest BIOS version 1.0.16 and I can't seem to get my shutdown issue to work right (shutdown always restarts the comp). I tried all the patches and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Can someone with shutdown and restart working show us how you got it to work?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm happy now. Got iATKOS 5i installed, and Leopard is running perfectly on my Inspiron 530. I have tried Kalyway 10.5.2 before, but I got shutdown/restart problem. :D

Now with this iATKOS 5i, all I have to do is patch the sound kext (AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext) with osx86tools and everything work smoothly; network (PCI card), QE, sounds, shutdown/restart, sleep (yes, S3), all working.

System Configuration:

Dell Inspiron 530; BIOS version 1.0.15

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.40 GHz

RAM: 3GB 800 MHz DDR2

Video: EVGA 8600 GT 256MB (I downgrade from a 9600 just for this) :o

Ethernet: Rosewill (cheap ass) Gigabit PCI LAN card

XP and Leapord on spearate Hard drive

My iATKOS 5i install options:

Bootloader -PC EFI V9

Kernel

-9.5.0 Kernel Voodoo

-ACPI -Stock ACPI modified

Driver

-VGA -EFI strings for nVidia/8600 GT 256M

-System -Intel SATA -Intel Speedstap A

-Network -Realtek R1000

Everything else default setting

I did change BIOS/Power Management, Remote Wake Up to Off prior installation. To test shutdown/restart and sleep issue, I did change it back to on after I installed Leopard; shutdown/restart/sleep works with either setting, so Power Management setting have nothing to do with shutdown/restart/sleep problem.

Next step, update to 10.5.6 and find a easy way to install with Boot-132. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I am interested in installing on Dell Inspiron 530, I have looked the tutorial section and also this forum, but I haven't found anything that would help. I have attempted at installing before, but the computer wouldn't start after installing.

I am looking to see if someone has successfully installed it on Dell 530.

I have 2.33 Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM. Besides that the computer is basic.

whoo hoo im still celebrating over it. =)

just registered to this site, tryiiiing to get my audio working (ALC-888)Realtek HD

i have:

q6600

pci ati 4870 hd 1gb

dual boot vista/os x iPC 10.5.6 FINAL

i have proof and if u need ill guide you.

the iPC image is the only one that has worked for me

don't select many drivers(i didnt do any)

then see if u can get in

getting drivers is easy if u have another internet device w/ mem

GL

Greetings and Salutations!

I just picked up a Dell Inspiron 530 and just wondering what are my chances installing IPC OSX86 10.5.6 Universal on this machine. I read several of the posts in this thread and I can see some have made changes to their hardware and just wondering if someone has the same specs as me and was able to get it to work properly with loading kexts, etc..

These are my specs

Processor - Dual Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz

BIOS - 1.0.15

Wireless - Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n Wlan Mini-Card rev. 2.0

Video Card - ATI Raedon HD3450 (I didn't see kexts for this in the hardware section)

Firewire Card - Agere OHCI Compliant 1394 Controller

LAN - Intel 82562V 10/100

9-in-1 Card Reader - USD HS-CF, MS, SD, XD/SM

Audio - Realtek Audio HD ALC888

I've got Iatkos 10.5.4 on a Dell OptiPlex GX620 with an Intel GMA950 video card, so I'm wondering should I continue on this machine or wait till they come out with a package for the ATI HD3450?

Also if anyone has a card reader and the wireless on their's that came with that USB adapter round hub thing.

Thanks fellow hack users.