Installing on Dell Inspiron 530

ThaShef

163 posts in this topic

Hi James. I'm not an expert on this, but I do have experience getting the 530 Quad to work under OS X. From your post, I'm assuming you are using the machine as it came from Dell. I also am assuming you have Kalyway 10.5.2 still installed, and have not done any other updates.

I believe you machine is showing one core due to the settings selected during the install. You might try re-running the Kalyway Installer and make cure to click on Customize, I swear there is a Quad Core option in there, though I could be totally wrong. The shutdown fix I refer you to later in this post also might fix this, but no guarantee on that.

Quartz Extreme/Core Image will not work with the on-board video card. The video card in our 530's is stuck at 1024x768. You will need to use a 3rd party card, and a few posts up from this one Toonces linked to one on Newegg. I would recommend that card as it will work without any modifications or hacks. Its $49.99 right now, but has a $15 mail in rebate.

Networking is the same problem. The on-board ethernet chip isn't supported, and you will need to use a PCI network card. luckily, these are cheap, and $5-10 cards will typically work fine. Just tossi n a card, and it should work.

Sound and sleep/poweroff are both things you will need to install kexts to use. I didn't kep good notes as I did mine, but I believe it was:

Poweroff Fix: Poweroff Fix

Restart Patch: Misc 530 Fixes/Patches

I'm not certain how i made the sound work, though I know it was from somewhere on this site.

Your best bet is to use the search, and do a lot of reading. My install went pretty smooth, and not counting the downloading of the installer, I think mine was up and running in 4 hours. Its very very fast, and I still haven't swapped out the video card.

Hopefully this helps a little, but like I said, I'm far from an expert, I just happened to get mine running. :wacko:

This is an uploaded zip file of the patch I used to fix the onboard sound if anyone would like it.

OnboardSoundPatch

whoo hoo im still celebrating over it. =)

just registered to this site, tryiiiing to get my audio working (ALC-888)Realtek HD

i have:

q6600

pci ati 4870 hd 1gb

dual boot vista/os x iPC 10.5.6 FINAL

i have proof and if u need ill guide you.

the iPC image is the only one that has worked for me

don't select many drivers(i didnt do any)

then see if u can get in

getting drivers is easy if u have another internet device w/ mem

GL

I am on that mission. i agree with you on the note of iPC being the only solution that has made any progress for me - i am having trouble with the partitioning - should i select GUID or Master Boot Record? thanks brotha!

i've been reading this thread getting a feel for doing an install on a 530 - but i've got one critical question i haven't really found an answer for...

is anyone using firewire with this box? and if so, have you used it with a firewire audio i/o interface like a TC Electronics or ECHO audiofire or the like?

that is a superb question - i do not care about onboard adio when i have a firewire mixer...

i will post reply as soon as i actually get leapord (iPC 10.5.6) properly INSTALLED argh

I've been playing with getting a Retail Leopard install to work on my Inspiron 530. I started with a mostly working Kalyway 10.5.2 (upgraded to 10.5.6), and installed onto a 2nd SATA drive. It took me some time to find the right drivers to build the boot-132 CDROM disc. There was an ISO that had a bunch of kexts in the post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113288New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs but that ISO was no longer to be found as the free upload has since expired.

So it took me awhile, but here is an ISO that will boot an Inspiron 530 with a SATA CDROM drive and a SATA hard drive (G33 chipset, core 2 quad 6600): inspiron_530.iso.zip

I booted the above image, then booted the Leopard retail disc and installed onto my 2nd hard drive. The Leopard Installer complained about not being able to modify the boot parameters on my first drive (which is MBR, not GUID). But the 2nd drive was installed just fine.

Afterward, I used the technique by Munky described here: Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better..., Zero-modification Leopard installs.

At that point I could boot my 2nd hard drive by hitting F12 during the DELL logo flash, and selecting the 2nd drive to boot from.

Next there was the matter of installing the video & sound drivers. For these, I couldn't figure out how to put the drivers all on the EFI partition, so they just went into /System/Library/Extensions/. Partly because the netkas installer (ATI Radeon HD 2400) wants to do the installation, so I have no idea of what needs to go on the EFI partition.

That being said, I was able to upgrade from 10.5.0 to 10.5.6 (with some old dmgs I had from before) without worrying about the system not being able to boot.

Right now I am almost where I was with Kalyway. I can't reboot, shutdown, or sleep (the machine is just halted), but I can always use the power button.

ok so after three different iso downloads (ideneb 1.4, boot 132 generic and finlly iPC 10.5.5) iPC finally worked.

i only chose two install options, the nvinject default and the intel sata driver

i now would like to use osx86tools to activate my wireless card, i have one cheap ass sydnet or whatever that brand is. but anyway - ideally i would like to find a boot 132 method that works, so for no dice.

thanks for all your help.

ok so after three different iso downloads (ideneb 1.4, boot 132 generic and finlly iPC 10.5.5) iPC finally worked.

i only chose two install options, the nvinject default and the intel sata driver

i now would like to use osx86tools to activate my wireless card, i have one cheap ass sydnet or whatever that brand is. but anyway - ideally i would like to find a boot 132 method that works, so for no dice.

thanks for all your help.

Greetings and Salutations!

I just picked up a Dell Inspiron 530 and just wondering what are my chances installing IPC OSX86 10.5.6 Universal on this machine. I read several of the posts in this thread and I can see some have made changes to their hardware and just wondering if someone has the same specs as me and was able to get it to work properly with loading kexts, etc..

These are my specs

Processor - Dual Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz

BIOS - 1.0.15

Wireless - Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n Wlan Mini-Card rev. 2.0

Video Card - ATI Raedon HD3450 (I didn't see kexts for this in the hardware section)

Firewire Card - Agere OHCI Compliant 1394 Controller

LAN - Intel 82562V 10/100

9-in-1 Card Reader - USD HS-CF, MS, SD, XD/SM

Audio - Realtek Audio HD ALC888

I've got Iatkos 10.5.4 on a Dell OptiPlex GX620 with an Intel GMA950 video card, so I'm wondering should I continue on this machine or wait till they come out with a package for the ATI HD3450?

Also if anyone has a card reader and the wireless on their's that came with that USB adapter round hub thing.

Thanks fellow hack users.

iPC has been an incredibly smooth installation process.

you and i have different video card and wireless, but i would think you could find what you need exactly in this thread.

i basically dont have anything working right now except the fact that leo is being displayed on both my monitors at optimum res, which is very nice. but i have yet to try the powerdown patch and i need to change my wireless card, and i have to test my firewire.

what do you mean round hub thingy that came with wireless? i dont understand

all in all i am incredibly impressed with this distro.

let me know how yours goes.

ok

osx86 tools is doing a good job of installing kexts but until i find a way to connect to the internet - i have no way of updating and installing drivers via osx86 downloader.

i got the leo to restart and shut down succesfully but not without leaving the inspiron sitting there with its system fan and lights still on. any relations to this?

also, my video is incredibly sluggish, albeit at dual dvi @ 1920x1200 resolution . . .

if anyone at all is trying to install iPC, please let me know what solutions and problems you are having. thanks!

Just wanted to report settings I used for a successful iPC OSx86 Universal 10.5.6 install...

Base System

Intel ICHx SATA Drivers

kXAudioDriver (because I have an SB Audigy 2)

Intel 82566MM/DC (for onboard LAN to work)

Dual Boot Time Sync (if not your clock will be off when you boot in Windows)

Shutdown/Restart Fix (must have if not shutdown/restart will not work)

EFI Studio (this is needed for me to get GFX-EFI string installed later for my 8800GT card)

NTFS 3-G + MacFUSE (to mount my NTFS drives)

I used a USB drive to test this out (F12 on boot to select boot device).

For my 8800GT, I used EFI Studio, installed EFI string for 8800GT 512MB to boot.plist, rebooted. QE/CI all there. Resolution change is always a bit of a problem for me - it will result in a light blue screen. The trick is to set a low display sleep timer, like 1 minute. Once it goes to sleep and then you wake it up, it will be fine at the new resolution. DO NOT do NVinject unless you need - it sucks, no QE/CI.

Not working quite right:

About This Mac - reports wrong CPU info

System Profiler Hardware Overview page

Display resolution switching (see workaround above)

Other things that seem to show up fine:

Bluetooth

Card reader

Firewire (on my Audigy card)

The end result is an install that seems a bit nicer than iATKOS 5i but some things in my 5i install updated to 10.5.6 work like CPU info in About This Mac and the System Profiler Hardware page.

Sleep is broken on both. Display resolution switching is broken on both but workaround works. Shutdown requires that Remote Wake on LAN be turned off in the BIOS Power Management settings.

Hope this helps others. Its almost perfect... just sleep (remember to turn off sleep in Energy Saver) and display resolution switching. I'd say iPC 10.5.6 U is a little easier to get up and running (given all the bundled drivers) compared to iATKOS 5i.

Edit - found out, you want AppleSMBIOSEFI as well. That will fix the About This Mac and System Profiler issues.

Just wanted to report settings I used for a successful iPC OSx86 Universal 10.5.6 install...

Sleep is broken on both. Display resolution switching is broken on both but workaround works. Shutdown requires that Remote Wake on LAN be turned off in the BIOS Power Management settings.

I'll try this out.

I installed iakos 5.0 and upgraded to 10.5.6. The only thing not working is power. Cannot sleep (actually cannot wake up); shutdown leads to restart instead.

Not sure whether it is related w/ BIOS setting. I'll try this out today.

I have the latest BIOS version 1.0.16 and I can't seem to get my shutdown issue to work right (shutdown always restarts the comp). I tried all the patches and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Can someone with shutdown and restart working show us how you got it to work?

I have the same BIOS version and the same problem.

Anybody found your mouse works differently in OSX?

I have a smoother experience under Vista though. The mouse in Leopard just feels different, cannot tell what's wrong, just not so comfortable.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys I need some help, I got my Dell Inspiron 530 yesterday and I installed it using iATKOS using the following

options in the customization:

Main System (default)

PC EFI V9 (default)

AppleDecrypt (default)

SMBIOS-EFI (default)

Disabler.kext (default)

But when I restart it goes to the screen "You must restart hold down ..... " Does anybody have any idea? By the way my

motherboard is 0FM586 from dell.

BIOS is 1.0.18

Thanks

Hey guys I need some help, I got my Dell Inspiron 530 yesterday and I installed it using iATKOS using the following

options in the customization:

Main System (default)

PC EFI V9 (default)

AppleDecrypt (default)

SMBIOS-EFI (default)

Disabler.kext (default)

But when I restart it goes to the screen "You must restart hold down ..... " Does anybody have any idea? By the way my

motherboard is 0FM586 from dell.

BIOS is 1.0.18

Thanks

I would not use iAtkos, it's been nothing but trouble for me and my 530, Kalyway is honestly the best and I've read iPC is holding a close second.

Thanks for the reply I am downloading now and will try it as soon as it is finished.

I wanted to give some more info now after a couple times of rebooting into OSX it doesn't

give me the "Restart ..." screen now it just gives me the apple bootscreen with a circle crossed out

this is kernel panic correct? I tried the 9.5 Vodoo kernel still same problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Thanks for the reply I am downloading now and will try it as soon as it is finished.

I wanted to give some more info now after a couple times of rebooting into OSX it doesn't

give me the "Restart ..." screen now it just gives me the apple bootscreen with a circle crossed out

this is kernel panic correct? I tried the 9.5 Vodoo kernel still same problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Yes, this is a KP. There could be a thousand and one reasons for it, I would try to boot in verbose mode at the Darwin prompt push f8 then -v and see what's causing the kp. My guess would be the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext if it isn't disabled or removed it will cause the kp, but don't take my word for it, search around after you've seen the kp for yourself. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello fellow Inspiron 530 Hackintoshers,

I have used the Boot 132 method of installing Leopard and upgrading to 10.5.6 (using Inspiron 530 specific ISO disc here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125438 ). I have an EVGA 7600GT 256MB RAM. I am using EFI string to specify the video card in the boot.plist file (using EFI Studio).

I basically followed the general template here: http://menoob.com/hackintosh/hackintosh-in...il-dvd-on-a-pc/

Many if not all of the kexts that are necessary can be found in this thread. My remaining issues are:

1. Sleep will not work in S3 mode or S1 mode.

2. I have to specify a kernel flag of "-f" or else I get the waiting for root device error on bootup.

3. Dual displays work fine, resolution changes work ok, but when I choose "mirror" displays, one of the displays goes light blue. Undo-ing the mirroring works fine. Display sleep is a little weird on the 2nd monitor.

The video issues can kinda be worked around and are not a huge deal - but having Sleep would be REALLY nice, and also using the -f kernel flag slows down the bootup time quite a bit. (There is one user on this thread that reported successful sleep using iAtkos - can I use a driver from that disc somehow?) I just wonder if I could be using a couple better kext files and some of these issues would be resolved. The most successful posts in this thread are using either iPC or iAtkos, but I really want to stick to using the Boot 132 method.

If anyone can help with these issues I would greatly appreciate it!!

Anyone installed memory greater than 4GB yet? I would like to upgrade my 3GB to 8GB.

Hi, I have 8GB memory installed and working great. System Profiler does not recognize 1 stick for some reason - but it shows in Activity Monitor so seems to work fine!

Hey

I'm going for a Boot132 based system for my 530, and I'm using melon-man's custom Boot-132 spin to boot. I'm using kernel parameters -v (durr) and -f (fixing Root Device issue) to boot, and all goes well, until it tries to boot a GUI, when I just get a corrupted video output (essentially a freeze). I'm using an ATi Radeon 600XT - do I need to spin a custom 132 with the 2600XT drivers on there, or is it a known issue?

My setup:

1x1tb SATA HDD (SATA0)

1xDVDRW drive (SATA)

1xMaxtor Basics 250gb (USB) (installing here)

My eventual aim is to install Chameleon2 RC1 on the USB drive and boot from that (yes, I know I'll need the USB drive plugged in to boot). Does anything look wrong with that setup?

Thanks

Hi, I have 8GB memory installed and working great. System Profiler does not recognize 1 stick for some reason - but it shows in Activity Monitor so seems to work fine!

Yeah, I went to Frys today and got their deal of 4GB for $37. Everything works perfectly well. System Profiler displays all the slots correctly. Now I just need an actual Mac Pro case ;)

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this I have a Del Inspiron 530 with:

6600 Quad Core,

500gb HD,

ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO (94c3),

Realtek High Def Audio.

I managed to get iDeneb v1.4_10.5.6 up and running absolutely fine. The problem came when I installed the drivers for my Radeon 2400 from this web page:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=107526&hl=

Once this file had installed and the system rebooted and OSX went happy through the darwin loader, but then my screen turns off as soon as the desktop loads (as if the signal was cut).

I've tried launching in safe mode (-x) and that did the same, I tried changing the graphics mode back to 1024x768 and that didn't work.

How can I get my OSX to boot again? and what did I do wrong, these are the correct drivers for my card aren't they?

I am also having to trouble getting the sound to work and I haven't come across a solution yet, can anyone help me with this too?

Thanks in advance.

I installed Leopard 10.5.6 on my inspiron 530 using iDeneb v1.4 dvd. Installation went well. System is up and running.

Is there any firewire card that i can add to my computer and make it working on MAC? I have a dell 0FM586 A00 motherboard. I believe PCI cards doesn't work on intel based mac :) so is there any option for adding firewire to my computer?

Sys Info :

0FM586 - Mother board

Q8200 Processor

4 GB Ram

Intel GMA 3100 video - Not working (getting only 1024x768)

Realteck ALC888 - working fine (stereo, not sure about 5.1)

Maudio Delta pci sound card - not working

Sleep and Shutdown - not working..

Hi Everyone,

Once this file had installed and the system rebooted and OSX went happy through the darwin loader, but then my screen turns off as soon as the desktop loads (as if the signal was cut).

I've tried launching in safe mode (-x) and that did the same, I tried changing the graphics mode back to 1024x768 and that didn't work.

How can I get my OSX to boot again? and what did I do wrong, these are the correct drivers for my card aren't they?

I am also having to trouble getting the sound to work and I haven't come across a solution yet, can anyone help me with this too?

Thanks in advance.

You need to remove that kext somehow (login to command line and remove the kext - or plug into another system and remove or whatever).

Page 7 of this topic has the sound fix :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...131&st=120#

I installed Leopard 10.5.6 on my inspiron 530 using iDeneb v1.4 dvd. Installation went well. System is up and running.

Is there any firewire card that i can add to my computer and make it working on MAC? I have a dell 0FM586 A00 motherboard. I believe PCI cards doesn't work on intel based mac ;) so is there any option for adding firewire to my ...

The firewire card that came with the Dell Inspiron 530 works fine. It is PCI. No idea of the manufacturer or model num though.

Another 530 user here with a problem.

I tried to install iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6, which went smoothly, but on the reboot (for initial Leopard setup purposes), I get the Apple logo with a null sign.

Here are the last few lines of code when I run -v for diagnostics.

Extension "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security mode; defaulting to full-secure.

Still waiting for root device

Any help in troubleshooting would be GREATLY appreciated! Here are my system specs:

Dell Inspiron 530

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz

Visiontek ATI Radeon HD 3870

640 GB Western Digital HDD

3 GB RAM

Thanks, guys!

Another 530 user here with a problem.

I tried to install iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6, which went smoothly, but on the reboot (for initial Leopard setup purposes), I get the Apple logo with a null sign.

Here are the last few lines of code when I run -v for diagnostics.

Extension "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security mode; defaulting to full-secure.

Still waiting for root device

Thanks, guys!

OSX cant find your root disk - I have this problem too and have to boot with the -f flag. Try that.

I have seen that a couple of people are having an issue with shutdown/restart just restarting on the 530. I am having the exact same problem with my idenebv4 install. Everything else is like butter but this is irritating me! Can someone give detailed directions about which kext soves this for the 530? I don't want to go around installing them willy nilly and get a KP :-)

Thanks in advance