Installing on Dell Inspiron 530

ThaShef

163 posts in this topic

I was reading the 10.5.3 instructions right now. I'll look for a set of 10.5.5 instructions and just do the combo update. That sounds easier than reinstallign it all.

The bigger issue is now I'm looking at the older P4 2.4Ghz, 512MB RAM Dell in the corner and thinking .... "I wonder.....", heh heh

Now to just find a cheap card to get the QE/CI enabled!

NewEgg just put this 2600XT on sale for 39.99 with a $15.00 rebate and free shipping for a total of $24.99 after MIR. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...;Tpk=14-131-066

• 2 weeks later...
I have everything working on my 530 using Kalyway 10.5.2 except sleep. I have v3 sleep enabled in BIOS, and the machine seems to enter sleep ok, but will not wake up. I've tried both vanilla and sleep kernels with the same result. Ideas?

-n.

really? On my inspiron 530 i have no sound, Quartz Extreme not supported, no network, it thinks i have 1 core when its actually quad core, sleep is more like a coma..usually means re-starting ...

I've used kalyway 10.5.2 and gparted, have a xp pro partition installed ...

im a bit new to osx86, can anyone sugest anything?

Cheers

James

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone

I'm completely new to this hackintosh stuff, and wish to install osx leopard on my dell inspiron 530 intel quad core 2.4ghz 4gb ram, nvidia geforce 8500 pci-e, 80gb sata seagate hdd for the mac install ( is there a particualr format i need to format the hard drive to before instalation? )

So far ive downloaded ideneb iso's and kalyway iso's both the latest versions, the lowest speed for some reason that i can burn the dvd at is x4 and not x2 , any solutions here?

I have a feeling either A, im completely missing something here, or B, my dvd's have burned incorrectly

When i enter the darwin loader i get the same brief message about a missing file of some sort and im stuck here :) cant even get in to the install.

I also read about changing the SATA settings from IDE to AHCPI ( or something similar to that description ) but in the phoenix bios it only lists RAID or IDE

I'm also confused about 'vanilla kernals and kext's' that i keep hearing so much about, do i need to install these before hand? and if so can someone give me a step by step guide.

i feel kinda embarassed because you must get so many people asking these questions :( all of your help and answers will be very much appreciated thanking you all in advance

really? On my inspiron 530 i have no sound, Quartz Extreme not supported, no network, it thinks i have 1 core when its actually quad core, sleep is more like a coma..usually means re-starting ...

I've used kalyway 10.5.2 and gparted, have a xp pro partition installed ...

im a bit new to osx86, can anyone sugest anything?

Cheers

James

Hi James. I'm not an expert on this, but I do have experience getting the 530 Quad to work under OS X. From your post, I'm assuming you are using the machine as it came from Dell. I also am assuming you have Kalyway 10.5.2 still installed, and have not done any other updates.

I believe you machine is showing one core due to the settings selected during the install. You might try re-running the Kalyway Installer and make cure to click on Customize, I swear there is a Quad Core option in there, though I could be totally wrong. The shutdown fix I refer you to later in this post also might fix this, but no guarantee on that.

Quartz Extreme/Core Image will not work with the on-board video card. The video card in our 530's is stuck at 1024x768. You will need to use a 3rd party card, and a few posts up from this one Toonces linked to one on Newegg. I would recommend that card as it will work without any modifications or hacks. Its $49.99 right now, but has a $15 mail in rebate.

Networking is the same problem. The on-board ethernet chip isn't supported, and you will need to use a PCI network card. luckily, these are cheap, and $5-10 cards will typically work fine. Just tossi n a card, and it should work.

Sound and sleep/poweroff are both things you will need to install kexts to use. I didn't kep good notes as I did mine, but I believe it was:

Poweroff Fix: Poweroff Fix

Restart Patch: Misc 530 Fixes/Patches

I'm not certain how i made the sound work, though I know it was from somewhere on this site.

Your best bet is to use the search, and do a lot of reading. My install went pretty smooth, and not counting the downloading of the installer, I think mine was up and running in 4 hours. Its very very fast, and I still haven't swapped out the video card.

Hopefully this helps a little, but like I said, I'm far from an expert, I just happened to get mine running. :)

Just an FYI - I did get my 530 running pretty fine with iATKOS 5i install... my SATA was set to IDE (not RAID) and for some reason AHCI doesn't work, I had to use the Intel SATA drivers (non-AHCI). It resulted in a 10.5.5 upgradable... using vanilla kernel and ACPI with disabler.kext. Only thing that doesn't work is sleep and shutdown results in a restart.

Onboard NIC will work. You need to manually install this kext...

http://techresearchinfo.blogspot.com/

Intel82566MM.kext.tar.gz

Upgraded to 10.5.6 fine. Note not using onboard graphics/sound... I have an 8800GT 512MB (NVKush with EFI strings) and SB Audigy 2 with kxAudioDriver...

http://x86osx.com/bbs/view.php?id=news&amp...b85fac0163af1a6

SP2008WFP webcam/mic working too.

Will the Poweroff Fix & Misc Patches get me sleep and shutdown working right? S3 or S1 for sleep mode?

Just an FYI - I did get my 530 running pretty fine with iATKOS 5i install... my SATA was set to IDE (not RAID) and for some reason AHCI doesn't work, I had to use the Intel SATA drivers (non-AHCI). It resulted in a 10.5.5 upgradable... using vanilla kernel and ACPI with disabler.kext. Only thing that doesn't work is sleep and shutdown results in a restart.

Intel82566MM.kext.tar.gz

Upgraded to 10.5.6 fine. Note not using onboard graphics/sound... I have an 8800GT 512MB (NVKush with EFI strings) and SB Audigy 2 with kxAudioDriver...

Will the Poweroff Fix & Misc Patches get me sleep and shutdown working right? S3 or S1 for sleep mode?

Good info on the Onboard NIC fix, I'll try that later this week. The Poweroff & Misc Patches should fix your sleep/shutdown issue, it did for me though I am running Kalway, if that matters. I'm not certain what my sleep mode is set to, but I'll check it when i get near it again. I haven't done the 10.6.6 update yet.

Intel82566MM.kext.tar.gz

Heya i also have a inspiron 530

i just tried iATKOS 5i

the install was fine apart from one factor

I choose the following

Intel SATA drivers (non AHCI)

ACPI

Disabler.kext

my problem is to do with which kernel to use,when i go to select i have no option for vanilla, so i installed with no kernel

I restarted, selected to boot from the 2nd HDD with the leopard install, i get the grey apple logo screen, and it just seems to hang constantly loading, even though there appears to be no HDD or DVD drive activity.

I guess my question is, is there a way i can make the vanilla kernel option available to me during install ?, if so then how?

Otherwise are there any other kernels i could use as alternatives ?

Your help will be very much appreciated

To go from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 I just downloaded and ran the update...

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...1056update.html

No preparation necessary. iATKOS 5i with the right options should yield an upgradable system.

My install options...

Main System (default)

PC EFI V9 (default)

AppleDecrypt (default)

SMBIOS-EFI (default)

Disabler.kext (default)

OHR (OpenHaltRestart - doesn't seem to do anything for my sleep/shutdown though, so seems useless)

NVKush (because I have an 8800GT 512MB vs. using onboard graphics)

EFI String for 8800GT 512MB

Intel SATA (the non AHCI option)

NTFS-3G (haven't tried with an NTFS partition to mount yet)

Intel Pro 100/VE (but this is useless, tried, doesn't work, you need the other kext to get onboard LAN working)

You don't select any kernel, you get the vanilla kernel. If the boot hangs, do a -v during the bootloader options, and see which point it hangs. I have 1.0.15 Dell BIOS on my 530.

You don't select any kernel, you get the vanilla kernel. If the boot hangs, do a -v during the bootloader options, and see which point it hangs. I have 1.0.15 Dell BIOS on my 530.

Ok thanks for clearing the vanilla kernel thing up for me :censored2: , the grey apple screen still hangs, so i done -v and it seems to hang when it gets to "MAC framework successfully initialized using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers"

There is a bunch of stuff before that, but nothing that seems to indicate a failure to my knowledge, any ideas on what could be wrong.

I also have the 1.0.15 Dell BIOS on the Inspiron 530 INTEL Quad core Q6600 2.4GHZ

Might be ACPI or onboard graphics? Which ACPI did you install? I went with the default that uses a non-modified ACPI. If that doesn't work then I'd try either the 1st or 2nd modified ACPI.

For ACPI i just selected the whole package, which one did you use?, this could be a graphics card issue though as well, im not using the onboard (although i can easily switch over) im currently using a Geforce 8500 GT PCI-E 512MB through the DVI output (there is an optional VGA output as well on this card)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Try not selecting any of the ACPI packages - that should give you the stock ACPI. You probably want NVInject or NVKush and the EFI string for your card... but I suspect you're getting stuck on ACPI.

If that doesn't work, try the 2nd ACPI option x86 ACPI.

Try not selecting any of the ACPI packages - that should give you the stock ACPI. You probably want NVInject or NVKush and the EFI string for your card... but I suspect you're getting stuck on ACPI.

If that doesn't work, try the 2nd ACPI option x86 ACPI.

Ok just tried iATKOS 5i with the following packages:

No ACPI Package

NVInject + 8xxx EFI String

And

x86 ACPI

NVInject + 8xxx EFI String

Both installations give me the same result, i can install, but after the restart then going to boot menu and selecting the HDD i installed iATKOS 5i on, i get the grey apple screen which appears to be loading but theres no flashing lights indicating my HDD is loading, then after a minute or two i get a white round cross appear over the grey apple logo.

Any suggestions, and do you know what this white round cross indicates?

Finally managed a successfull boot.

For anyone thats interested, i used the iATKOS 5i iso

On a Dell inspiron 530 4gb, intel quad core Q6600 2.4ghz

with the following install options

x86 ACPI

NVKush + 8xxx EFI string

Intel SATA drivers

Disabler.kext

Just gotta get my M-audio audiphille 24/96 and wireless tinternet working now :) woop woop

Just another quick update, after a bit of searching i found a third party driver that works for the M-audio audiophile 2496 PCI soundcard, the driver works flawlessly :D so i now have sound and the latency is good as well about 8 ms, just need to get hold of a copy of logic pro 8 now and of i go :D:P

The only thing i need to do now is get my linksys WUSB54G working and im all done :censored2:

Just want to say thanks for eveyones helpfull advice on this forum

i have the keyboard loop problem.. i tried rebooting it with -s option, however, i get stuck on the Kernel version line and it doesnt appear to do anything... do i have to do a complete reinstall to get it to work?

i have the iatkos dvd aswell should i give that install a shot?

Thanks neteng for the info, i decided to install iATKOS over my leo4all install so i can just use software update. Got it installed perfectly, and even the motherboard ethernet is working with that kext. Works just as good as leo4all, but the one thing i had on leo4all was the ability to sleep, anyone know what kext controls that?

I just went ahead and installed iAtkos, it was pretty easy and I just choose the Intel SATA drivers (non-AHCI) and it booted-up fine. My first install I enabled both selections for SATA drivers and it wouldn't boot.

Also -- NTFS mounted automatically is on my desktop. Installed the network kext from the link in this thread and it's working great, ditto with sound.

Though, at the 'about this mac' screen the processor type says "2.4 Ghz Unknown". Should it say Quad Core? (I have a Q6600).

Just another quick update, after a bit of searching i found a third party driver that works for the M-audio audiophile 2496 PCI soundcard, the driver works flawlessly :D so i now have sound and the latency is good as well about 8 ms, just need to get hold of a copy of logic pro 8 now and of i go :D:P

The only thing i need to do now is get my linksys WUSB54G working and im all done :)

Just want to say thanks for eveyones helpfull advice on this forum

I got one working based on this thread...http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...18035&st=20

I have used many usb wireless net adapters, they are all lacking in someway. My favorite is the D-Link Wireless G USB Adapter WUA-1340 Network. Its software is decent although isn't detected as an airport device. It was pretty reliable.

I just went ahead and installed iAtkos, it was pretty easy and I just choose the Intel SATA drivers (non-AHCI) and it booted-up fine. My first install I enabled both selections for SATA drivers and it wouldn't boot.

Also -- NTFS mounted automatically is on my desktop. Installed the network kext from the link in this thread and it's working great, ditto with sound.

Though, at the 'about this mac' screen the processor type says "2.4 Ghz Unknown". Should it say Quad Core? (I have a Q6600).

This will show you how to set your processor string... http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=103293

Intel82566MM.kext.tar.gz

WHOA! This is great news. I hope this works for me. I have a 10.5.3 Kalyway installation on a quad-core Insprion 530 and I've been wrestling with ethernet problems since point one. I have a pci networking card, but it seems slow and has points where it doesn't seem to be connected. I bought a USB-ethernet connector which works great, except that I can't shut down the computer with it plugged in, so I have to unplug it every time I want to shut down. Plus it's annoying to have this USB dongle hanging off the front of my computer.

My installation thread is here in case anybody's interested.

I'm going to try out this new kext later today. I hope it works!

Thanks