Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet

575 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i have a Lenovo X61 Tablet with 1400x1050 px Screen dimensions.

Under 10.5.2 Leo4All everything works perfectly but:

sound,backlight,LAN

After update to 10.5.5 wich worked with the trick to remove the IntelCPUPowerManagement permanently i lost my Mouse and Keyboard support.

Anybody got working that?

By the Way i bought an atheros mini pci-x wlan card compatible to my Lenovo from Ebay for round about 60 euro.

thx all for the hard work here youre great. :(

buechse

Hi, I am a noob at all this mac on pc stuff but I am getting better. So I have installed 10.5.5 and everything is working but the tablet (MV, MT) the port shows up but it doesn't respond to the pen. I installed TabletMagic.prefPane but still nothing when I got to the drop menu in Baud Rate I see 38400 but it is greyed out in serial0 and 19200 is selected by default.

Big THX outZider worked great.

OSX Leopart 10.5.5 updated from 10.5.2 Leo4All with the Combo Update:

not working:

- Bluetooth (strange thing i remember it worked but dont know if it did work directly before the update)

- Battery Meter (doesnt work since the update)

- Brightness

- Sound

- LAN

working:

- Fingerprint

- Tablet

- WLAN (Atheros bought from ebay about 60€ was not blacklisted by bios)

i forgot a lot i think if you want to know something special, then ask.

buechse

Could someone in the know update the installation method? I'd be happy to start a new thread with things I've figured out... but I'd be happier if someone that's gotten further than me did so.

I'm running iAtkos v4. My iso name was iatkos_4i.iso which mounts onto the harddrive with a volume name indicating v2.0 - which seemed like it might be a problem at first because the iatkos.wikidot.org calls it iATKOS v4i... However, after installing, it does appear to be 10.5.4.

So far, I get a kernel panic when I do a normal boot, but can boot to safe mode without problems. This is without installing any of the modules on the install CD. When I try to install modules, the system doesn't get this far... I'm not sure which of the modules from iATKOS I should install to get it to work as fully as iATKOS will allow it. Then, I'm not sure which of the steps from the original post by outZider I would need to subsequently do.

I'm new to OSX, so sorry if some of these questions are old hat. Is there a quick way to determine what hardware is or is not working? In windows, I'd use the device manager (My Computer->Manage->Device Manager) to determine what isn't working yet...

Thanks for your help!

to

Hello,

i tried to search but didn't get any result.

I try to get my battery Meter to work, because i use my X61 Tablet only mobile. But no success. I have Time Machine Backups from 10.5.2 so if i should copy drivers back no prob. But i dont know which drivers XD.

Thank you all for great work i love OSX and thinkin about to buy a Mac mini.

buechse

Hey, great tutorial. Thanks again (I did end up buying a new PCI wireless card which actually has better range than my buddies macs). um, to amend your tutorial, the patched version of Kalyway (10.5.2) comes w/ the choice to install the power management fix, pretty great trick. However, don't bother using Kalyway's Intel GMA X3100 graphics kexts, they didn't work for me, but the Leopard Graphics Update package did. To clarify, here's a mini how-to for noobies wanting to use Turbo's kext:

Step 1: Open /System/Library/ and watch the file Extensions.mkext as you install AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (if not already installed, it should be on the Kalyway DVD under /System/Library/Extensions/) using Kext Helper b7 or however you wish. If a temporary file is created next to Extensions.mkext called Extensions.[some variable], wait for it to disappear before restarting.

Step 2: Open /System/Library/ as you did before and watch for Extensions.[some variable] while installing Turbo's kext. If the temporary file was created, again wait for it to disappear before restating.

Step 3: Open /System/Library/Extensions/ and move AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to a backup folder. If you cannot, move it to the trash, then to another location. Watch again for Extensions.[some variable]. Now your external speakers will work but the volume cannot be changed and the icon will not appear in the utility bar until your next restart.

P.S. This should be the last step in your installation process. The installation of particular kexts after installing Turbo's kext often screws it up. Once in a blue moon, sleeping your computer may also fubar the kext and you may have to repeat this process, so KEEP A COPY OF AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, which needs to be installed first. Hopefully, someday someone will release a better solution...:-D

In addition, installing Apple's Combo Updates (10.5.3, 10.5.4, 10.5.5) from their website does ultimately work on Kalyway's 10.5.2 DVD install, follow the instructions linked to here. However, beware that after restart YOU WILL LOOSE your built-in keyboard and track-point as mentioned in this forum. USB will still work though and you can use an external keyboard and mouse to log in. I'm currently experimenting on a separate drive until I find a solution to apply to my main drive. So far, forums say it has to do with the ApplePS2Controller.kext and ACPIPS2Nub.kext within AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Context/Plugins/ but no luck so far. Believe it or not, Turbo's kext survives the combo updates, incredible...

Lastly, if you are having problems enabling your bluetooth card, Ubuntu's new Live CD "Intrepid Ibex" enables the card on startup. Its also not a bad disk to have around if your computer goes south. All you have to do is download, burn, and select "Try Ubuntu without changes to your computer" or something like that when prompted; the light in bar will illuminate as the kernel boots if your kill switch is on.

(If your atheros wireless card sill doesn't work after editing the Info.plist file and loading the kext, simply follow the instructions above for Turbo's audio and it will activate the wireless kext after the first or second reboot).

It would be great if someone would figure out how to change the screen brightness huh?

Hi,

i have a Lenovo X61 Tablet with 1400x1050 px Screen dimensions.

Under 10.5.2 Leo4All everything works perfectly but:

sound,backlight,LAN

After update to 10.5.5 wich worked with the trick to remove the IntelCPUPowerManagement permanently i lost my Mouse and Keyboard support.

buechse

Hi buechse,

I have the same configuration, can you let me know what I need to get 10.5.5 on my X61 tablet?

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...

Hello people,

did anyone notice how tedious it is to go through this and other longlong pages to get OS X working on a X61 tablet?

So now we have this wonderful internet technology called a wiki, where everyone could contribute in describing a standard setup procedure for the xga and the sxga+ x61 tablet using the most recently available OS X installation DVDs. Is there maybe already something like this in existence?

I would love to administer the wiki, but I have not yet decided if not to simply buy an aluminum macbook.

MY MOTIVATION for buying an aluminum macbook

• no hassle

• verry nice style

MINUS: (Of course only in my weird mind): ridicolous wide screen format (just to match the aspect ratio of the keyboard, or what?, certainly not especially useful for surfing the internet or word processing)

MY MOTIVATION for buying a x61 tablet

• longer battery life (on the go this of course is vitally important)

• pdf reading and internet surfing in high resolution (sxga+) portrait mode (I think both would be very sweet features and imagine what it would be like if you then even could flip pages or navigate the internet by gestures with an internet browser that makes good use of the available resolution)

• lightweight

BUT now that I see this mess with failing built in keyboard support when updating to 10.5.5 (Although, apparently, this can be fixed too, of course :censored2: I am not sure that the x61 tablet would be a choice that I could get happy with.

Did anyone ever get the following things to work on the x61 tablet:

• sd card reader

• changing the brightness of the backlighting

• simply working sleep mode (without having to disable the wifi)

• automatic screen rotation through accelerometer information

• 3G internet via built in pci express hardware and antenna

So where's the OSX x61 tablet wiki ??? Or are there just too few people for a wiki to make sense?

Greetings,

notsuchamessplease

P.S. I am not completely new to installing OS X on non apple hardware, I just managed to get OS X 10.5.5 with "everything" working on my iPhone Software development platform: AMD Athlon 3200+, Asus A8N VM Mainboard, Nvidia EN8500GT fanless graphics card (full acceleration and screen rotation), USB Sound, Bluetooth

If anyone would like to submit updates, I'd be happy to continue updating the top post. The installation method centers around Kalyway, as that was the last install method I used. I'm sure iATKOS v5 with 10.5.5 works fine. I, too, went through a couple of laptops and then just bought an aluminum MacBook. I miss the tablet features, and the incredible resolution, but I also don't have to screw around constantly to get things working.

I also owe all of you guys some patches for the things I did, even though they weren't much.

Hi everyone.

I've got a X61tablet :( and I really love it. And I'm considering installing Leopard, just for fun. But I've got a little question (I must confess I havent read all the topic...): Have you got all a docking station? I don't have one, so how can I install macos? With a usb stick like vista?

And what's your battery life? With vista i can have up to 8h-8h30... (usually about 6-6h30 while taking notes with onenote)

By the way, I've got leoforall (don't remember the version... leopard of course, but I downloaded it 8-10month ago) and Kalyway 10.5.2. Wich one should I install?

Ps: Sorry my bad English...

I've got a X61tablet

I had a docking station to install, and later used a USB2 CD-ROM. I've only successfully installed from a USB stick once, onto a VAIO, and it's hell to get the partitions set up correctly on the stick. You can certainly attempt to just dd the iso onto the stick and see how it goes, or do it within OS X on another machine using restore from within Disk Utility. My battery life in OS X was pretty close to what I got out of Vista if my LCD was at max brightness. I don't think there's a reasonable solution to that problem yet. I'd go with Leo4All, as it's probably more recent that 10.5.2. 10.5.2 is certainly possible to use, but updating to the latest release would really really suck.

i got also a x61t. and the most things work. but i did not macht it yet to get the tablet working. i did all the described steps, but after the restart due hit enable digitizer in tabletmagig i get always the message that /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext was installed improperly? got anyone the same message? how do i fix it, and get the tablet working?

at my last try i used sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext and sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext

in /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist i changed PNP0501' in 'WACF004'.

wich further steps are necessary?

at my last try i used sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext and sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext

in /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist i changed PNP0501' in 'WACF004'.

wich further steps are necessary?

what does kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext tell you?

I have a Lenovo x61 tablet too, and I followed this thread convert the laptop to a dual boot. Yesterday I updated to 10.5.6, after update, keyboard and mouse are not working, WLAN, powermanagement, and tablet are not working also, I just simply reload all the kext I download here, and it works fine now. Thanks everyone here, I had a lot fun with my Mac tablet :hysterical:

Thanks for updating the post; the Ethernet driver kext worked perfectly when installed with b7 on my x61 (restarting wasn't necessary).

Hey, and apple's 10.5.6 combo update (from 10.5.5) works flawlessly with the DSDT patch + chameleon (v9) 1.0.12 on an x61, just make sure you install the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from 10.5.5 after installing the DSDT patch but before the update (or else you will get a kernel panic during the installation). In addition, the TurnLidOn method no longer sleeps the kernel in 10.5.6, so you need to replace TurnLidOn.kext with ClamshellDisplay.kext, simply do a search for it in the meantime.

Here is a pic: 10.5.6

If people are still having keyboard and trackpoint trouble after updating, simply install the two (already patched) kexts linked here; the 10.5.5 CPUPowerManagement kext is also posted:

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip