why should I upgrade to 10.5.2?

trioptic

17 posts in this topic

Does 10.5.2 solve the intermittent wireless drops?

I'm on 10.5.1 Kalyway GUID + vanilla and I'm getting LOTS of drops from my Dlink DWA-552 (Atheros 5008 -based, AirPort-driven) wireless N card. Would be willing to live through potential hassle of upgrade if wireless is fixed.

Further - I don't know the formatting of the Wiki / where to put it, but it'd be great to have this kind of information on there. I don't see it as a resource that is being used much, yet it's a perfect tool for turning the hundreds of threads into simple, actionable data (plus it'd cut down on the number of redundant threads!)

let's say I dont use iChat. and let's say I don't care about my dock's transparency. I also don't use safari, or the time machine.

All that being said, is there any good reason I would want to update, other than feeling up to date?

Mostly because you can. :)

Apple, like most computer companies typically do not release updates or patches without a good reason. With apple updates, especially the early ones after a major upgrade - often come with performance improvements. If you were inquiring about an actual Apple computer, I'd say wait at least one day then go for it.

The question you should be asking is - "...since I'm using a Hackintosh, HOW LONG should I wait before I apply the update?"

The answer is - unless you enjoy reinstalling your OSX86 setup, definitely wait until a clear update path (hack/workaround) is available, and you are very certain that you can do it without blowing up your install. Let all the noobs jump off the cliff first, then after all the issues are worked out and you have learned from all of their mistakes, take the plunge. Just sit back and be patient. I waited until I saw the work around posted yesterday, but still managed to fuxor my install :( (didn't care as I had a fresh install and I've just been testing)

Since search can sometimes be a chore here, let me update my status: In 10.5.2, my Dlink DWA-552 card continued dropping my wireless connection. I returned this card and bought the Dlink DWA-556, which was the PCI-Express version of the same Atheros AR5008 chipset. Since then I have had no problems dropping connections and it has been rock solid using AirPort. It is very possible I just had a bad card, however I know the Mac Pros are PCIe based, so why not try to duplicate if you have the opportunity?Asus P5W DH (removed RealTek RT8187 card), E6600 Core2Duo @2.88Ghz, ATI X1900XT, Highpoint RAID 2300 PCIe, Kalyway 10.5.1 + GUID+Vanilla + Kalyway's 10.5.2 update (not a hitch) + Graphics Update (no difference). Wireless router is WRT54GL + DD-WRT bios with signal boost.~BTSince search can sometimes be a chore here, let me update my status: In 10.5.2, my Dlink DWA-552 card continued dropping my wireless connection. I returned this card and bought the Dlink DWA-556, which was the PCI-Express version of the same Atheros AR5008 chipset. Since then I have had no problems dropping connections and it has been rock solid using AirPort. It is very possible I just had a bad card, however I know the Mac Pros are PCIe based, so why not try to duplicate if you have the opportunity?Asus P5W DH (removed RealTek RT8187 card), E6600 Core2Duo @2.88Ghz, ATI X1900XT, Highpoint RAID 2300 PCIe, Kalyway 10.5.1 + GUID+Vanilla + Kalyway's 10.5.2 update (not a hitch) + Graphics Update (no difference). Wireless router is WRT54GL + DD-WRT bios with signal boost.~BT

Does 10.5.2 solve the intermittent wireless drops? I'm on 10.5.1 Kalyway GUID + vanilla and I'm getting LOTS of drops from my Dlink DWA-552 (Atheros 5008 -based, AirPort-driven) wireless N card. Would be willing to live through potential hassle of upgrade if wireless is fixed.Further - I don't know the formatting of the Wiki / where to put it, but it'd be great to have this kind of information on there. I don't see it as a resource that is being used much, yet it's a perfect tool for turning the hundreds of threads into simple, actionable data (plus it'd cut down on the number of redundant threads!)
Since search can sometimes be a chore here, let me update my status: In 10.5.2, my Dlink DWA-552 card continued dropping my wireless connection. I returned this card and bought the Dlink DWA-556, which was the PCI-Express version of the same Atheros AR5008 chipset. Since then I have had no problems dropping connections and it has been rock solid using AirPort. It is very possible I just had a bad card, however I know the Mac Pros are PCIe based, so why not try to duplicate if you have the opportunity?Asus P5W DH (removed RealTek RT8187 card), E6600 Core2Duo @2.88Ghz, ATI X1900XT, Highpoint RAID 2300 PCIe, Kalyway 10.5.1 + GUID+Vanilla + Kalyway's 10.5.2 update (not a hitch) + Graphics Update (no difference). Wireless router is WRT54GL + DD-WRT bios with signal boost.~BT
Does 10.5.2 solve the intermittent wireless drops? I'm on 10.5.1 Kalyway GUID + vanilla and I'm getting LOTS of drops from my Dlink DWA-552 (Atheros 5008 -based, AirPort-driven) wireless N card. Would be willing to live through potential hassle of upgrade if wireless is fixed.Further - I don't know the formatting of the Wiki / where to put it, but it'd be great to have this kind of information on there. I don't see it as a resource that is being used much, yet it's a perfect tool for turning the hundreds of threads into simple, actionable data (plus it'd cut down on the number of redundant threads!)

Just use the kalyway update it works perfectly fine. Ok this is how I figured it, when I asked myself the same question your asking. Ok to heck with 10.5.2.... 10.5.1 is working great, so you stay with 10.5.1 and little while longer here comes another update ! 10.5.3 and your still stuck on 10.5.1, so your worried about updating to 10.5.2 still how are you going to get to 10.5.3 ? And finally when it's all over your still on 10.5.1 and we are living in virtual reality with sexy women feeding us grapes. :)

Just use the kalyway update it works perfectly fine. Ok this is how I figured it, when I asked myself the same question your asking. Ok to heck with 10.5.2.... 10.5.1 is working great, so you stay with 10.5.1 and little while longer here comes another update ! 10.5.3 and your still stuck on 10.5.1, so your worried about updating to 10.5.2 still how are you going to get to 10.5.3 ? And finally when it's all over your still on 10.5.1 and we are living in virtual reality with sexy women feeding us grapes. :)

ha, brilliant :)

so long as you have a back up, what's to loose?

things DO feel better in 10.5.2, though i can't point to any individual feature

SEARCH TIP

don't bother with the forum search- it's rubbish, use google with the site specific tag at the end- "thing i am looking for site:http://forum.insanelymac.com"

for fun :) that is what all this is abt.........

let's say I dont use iChat. and let's say I don't care about my dock's transparency. I also don't use safari, or the time machine.

All that being said, is there any good reason I would want to update, other than feeling up to date?