Toshiba Satellite u300

inedible

21 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've installed Leopard 10.5.1 on my Toshiba Satellite u300 using KALWAY's image.

I've also tried BrasilMac's image, as well as patching my own original leopard disc, with limited sucess.

I figured I'd set up a page for other people who have this laptop, and perhaps together we can work out the last of the bugs and get this thing working properly.

What's working:

Video:

The video in my u300 is built into the chipset and is an Intel 945gma.

Leopard detects it as a GMA 950, and runs it at full resolution with quartzextreme supported out of the box with no modifications needed.

It semes leopard wants to use a fixed 64mb of ram for this card, rather than being adaptive like in windows... but I haven't played any games to know if this makes a difference. Video playback and all UI effects run smooth and fluidly.

Audio:

The audio in my u300 is a Realtek ALC268, vendor id 8086, device 284b.

Leopard detects this as an Intel HD Audio device, though it is not selectable in the "sounds" control panel. After installing Taruga's drivers everything works fine. Sound can be output through the internal speakers or the headphone jack, though there is no jack sensing and it doesn't do this automatically. The volume control knob on the side works... Though it continues to raise or lower the volume after you've stopped fiddling with the knob... ie: You use the knob to turn down the volume a single notch, let go of the knob, osx continues to turn down the volume for several minutes. Input works fine through the mic jack or the built in mic. Strangely, I can mute audio using FN+ESC, though I can't unmute it except through rebooting.

Firewire:

I haven't actually tried it, but leopard correctly detects that I have an IEEE1394 port on my laptop. I may have to start thinking about using this for network connectivity soon. :)

USB:

USB works fine, all ports are working, running at USB2.0 speeds.

Power Management:

As posted below, I've been able to get leopard to recognize my battery using the PowerManagement.bundle posted in this thread. I needed to change the version number in Info.plist to get it to work, and it didn't work right away either... For some reason it took two reboots and about 15 minutes of sitting there idling before the battery icon showed up. Jack sensing, Percent remaining, and Time remaining all work (though it sometimes gets stuck on "calculating..."). Speedstep is believed to not work, Display sleep works, though real sleep mode doesn't - systemlog says it gets woken by usb three seconds after I click sleep..

Camera:

Leopard detects this as a Chicony USB 2.0 Camera. During the install, it tried to take a picture for my profile... It detected the camera correctly and powered it on, but was unable to take pictures. A week later it started working for no particular reason. It started working coincidentally around the same time I installed the PowerManagement.bundle posted below, though I'm not sure that had anything to do with it.

Burner:

Leopard correctly detects my HL-DT-ST DVDRAM drive. Reading, Writing, and Ejecting have been tested to work.

Misc:

Both cores work, built-in keyboard and trackpad work, many FN keys work, such as display brightness etc. My iPod works, my XBOX gamepad works, using this driver, my Logitech MX Revolution mouse works, things plugged into ps2 port work.

What's not:

Lan:

The lan in my u300 is detected by windows as a Realtek 8101 series, vendor id 10ec, device id 8136

Leopard does not detect the card on its own. After installing these drivers, the card seemed to be detected, there was an "en0" in the network config, though it always said the cable was unplugged... I tried all variations of base 10t half duplex etc, as far as my patience would allow, as it seems this driver conflicts with the mouse/keyboard in some way... The mouse would radomly shoot off in a random direction and start clicking things while you were using it, and often it would lock the whole machine at boot.. I can't be sure if it was actually freezing the whole system, or if I just had no control over my mouse and keyboard... (since obviously I can't ping the machine at this point.)

Wifi:

The wifi card this u300 came with is a Mini-PCIE Atheros AR5BXB63... vendor id 168C, device id 001c. It's unclear what this card actually is, since windows detects it as an Atheros 5006x, and linux thinks it's an Atheros 5007eg.

Either way it doesn't work. I've tried this driver, to no sucess... still getting the error message:

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-235.9.3/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:480] loaded unsuccessfully

which no one has been able to figure out.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm not finding my card in ioreg, so I'm thinking maybe it's my pci-e bus that's causing the problems.

Card Reader:

No idea what kind of card reader this is, it's a multi 5-in-1 reader, connected via USB, embedded in the front of my laptop.

Doesn't seem to work. Not too concerned about it.

Misc:

Multimedia keys don't do anything, 56k Modem doesn't work (who cares amirite?), Volume control knob doesn't know when to stop... very annoying if you pick up your laptop and brush against the volume knob. PCMCIA / ExpressCard slot is presumed to be not working, though I don't really have enough cards or patience to test further.

I'll be updating this thread if/when I can get certain things to work.

If anyone knows any solutions to the above problems, or has anything to add about this quirky laptop, feel free to contribute!

[/size][/size]

Got Power Management to work! (mostly)

using this driver and patching the Info.plist in /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents to version 1.1.0 I was able to get the battery meter in the toolbar.

Time and percent remaining work, though sleep mode and speedstep still don't.

My friend also have Toshiba Satellite u300.

After install Kalyway Leo, on boot (when is gray page with apple logo) computer reboot.

We dont know what to do. Can u help us? Perhaps u have also this problem.

My friend also have Toshiba Satellite u300.

After install Kalyway Leo, on boot (when is gray page with apple logo) computer reboot.

We dont know what to do. Can u help us? Perhaps u have also this problem.

Hmmm... I had that problem with the BrasilMac dvd, but not with the KALWAY one... it installed just fine.

First of all, go into the BIOS setup (press F2 at the toshiba logo) and enable "Execute Disable Bit". Disable legacy usb support (I forget what toshiba calls it, it's like "USB Keyboard and Mouse Emulation" or something).

If you still can't get past the grey screen, press a key when you see the darwin bootloader and enter in: "-v" (without the quotes), and you'll get a lot of messages on the screen for everything it's doing. Write down the last message it says when it freezes, that way we can figure out what the problem is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Saw your post re Realtek Lan driver - Have you tried a clean install, ticking no boxes (not vanilla and not SSE2) (welcome to the world of OSX) and just installing the network driver before any mouse drivers etc. I am unclear as to whether you have installed 8139 driver and kexts or the 8100 driver and kexts - they are different on the forum Genius bar.

I have the same WIFI Atheros 5007EG on a Toshiba P200 1HM, at least that is how vista recognized it.

I'm wondering if you found any solution yet

anyhow your info helped me a lot with the other components as well.

Thanx mate. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my Realteck 8101e. I have installed the R1000 driver, and every time I open the system preference panel, it discovers a new network device. But I won't work! It recognises my 8101e as 8169. Anybody can help?

I have the same WIFI Atheros 5007EG on a Toshiba P200 1HM, at least that is how vista recognized it.

I'm wondering if you found any solution yet

anyhow your info helped me a lot with the other components as well.

Thanx mate. :D

I have an AR5007UG based Airlink 101 USB WIFI dongle, which ended up being a rebranded ZyDAS ZD1211. I got it working with ZDA211MacUSB_install_4_5_9_0.dmg, so you might want to try that too.

This is on a Toshiba Satellite U305 with Leopard 10.5.2 (Kalyway). I got almost everything working except the builtin WIFI (Intel 4965), Webcam, Bluetooth and Sleep mode. And except some other unimportant things for me, like the modem, card reader, PC card slot, etc)

The builtin ethernet (RTL8101/8169) also sort of worked for a week or so and then misteriously got its MAC address changed to some invalid {censored} and stopped working.

I have Linux there too (quad boot with Vista, Leopard, Ubuntu and FreeBSD) and it also started detecting the very same crappy MAC. Vista and FreeBSD however recognize the real MAC just fine and have no problems working with the ethernet port.

Under Linux I was able to override it with the real MAC and got it back working, while in Mac OS X I couldn't find a way to do so. But in the meanwhile I got that USB WIFI dongle working, so it can wait.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there

Saw your post re Realtek Lan driver - Have you tried a clean install, ticking no boxes (not vanilla and not SSE2) (welcome to the world of OSX) and just installing the network driver before any mouse drivers etc. I am unclear as to whether you have installed 8139 driver and kexts or the 8100 driver and kexts - they are different on the forum Genius bar.

Hi there... Yes, I tried both install options, both kernels, both drivers... as far as I can remember the 8100 driver did nothing, and the 8139 driver would give a MAC address of 00:00:00... the keyboard and mouse would glitch out and the system would hang after 5-10 min... it always said cable disconnected, and I was never able to use it.

To all the people asking about wifi, I ended up giving up on the atheros (I was also having issues with it in linux) and bought a broadcom 4311 (which has been known to work), which also didn't work on my system. I'm guessing there's a problem with the pcie bus or the way the laptops bios addresses it.

I noticed something odd when I installed a little program which basically does the job of lspci in linux... it was able to detect my wifi cards and display their correct deviceids, but I didn't persue it any further.

I've basically given up on osx since without internet it's useless to me.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi all,

I've installed Leopard 10.5.1 on my Toshiba Satellite u300 using KALWAY's image.

I've also tried BrasilMac's image, as well as patching my own original leopard disc, with limited sucess.

Wifi:

The wifi card this u300 came with is a Mini-PCIE Atheros AR5BXB63... vendor id 168C, device id 001c. It's unclear what this card actually is, since windows detects it as an Atheros 5006x, and linux thinks it's an Atheros 5007eg.

Either way it doesn't work. I've tried this driver, to no sucess... still getting the error message:

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-235.9.3/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:480] loaded unsuccessfully

which no one has been able to figure out.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm not finding my card in ioreg, so I'm thinking maybe it's my pci-e bus that's causing the problems.

Hi, my 5006X card works great with this howto, try it... You have to enter card IDs AND ALSO PCI(e) bus IDs to kext file to get it work!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...Atheros+168c+1a

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So i ended up getting this laptop from my gf.

I got wifi working by swapping a dell 1390 worked out of the box no drivers nothing detects like airport :unsure:

Video also out of the box quartz and everything.

Audio i had to install taruga drivers alc268 and the knob also works.

Firewire works tested as well.

the hardest part is the sound

All working now i got a full hackbook

time to update to 10.5.6

• 1 month later...
So i ended up getting this laptop from my gf.

I got wifi working by swapping a dell 1390 worked out of the box no drivers nothing detects like airport :wacko:

Video also out of the box quartz and everything.

Audio i had to install taruga drivers alc268 and the knob also works.

Firewire works tested as well.

the hardest part is the sound

All working now i got a full hackbook

time to update to 10.5.6

What about ethernet?

What about ethernet?

It works OOB.

If you replace wi-fi with dell card, then there is only two problems.

1) No sound after wake.

2) Cardreader doesn't work

Working setup require few additional kexts

1) my kext which fix volume knob

2) kext with fix USB from superhai AFAIR (for working sleep)

3) if you want power savings, if I'm not mistaken there is kext from superhai also

• 2 weeks later...
It works OOB.

If you replace wi-fi with dell card, then there is only two problems.

I'd be interested to know what revision of u300 you have, I'm guessing there are subtle differences between the 20-or-so models out there...

I've tried a few different wifi cards in this thing, the broadcomm airport clone, a few intel cards, a couple atheros ones, and none of them seem to work. Still no luck on the integrated LAN card either.

My version is a canadian one and it seems the american version's bioses are updated more often (and are completely incompatible :( )

I've downloaded the phoenix bios editor and some microsoft dev tool to compile the ACPI bits and in the coming weeks I think I'll take a stab at debugging why my pci-e devices aren't detected properly.

• 8 months later...
I'd be interested to know what revision of u300 you have, I'm guessing there are subtle differences between the 20-or-so models out there...

I've tried a few different wifi cards in this thing, the broadcomm airport clone, a few intel cards, a couple atheros ones, and none of them seem to work. Still no luck on the integrated LAN card either.

My version is a canadian one and it seems the american version's bioses are updated more often (and are completely incompatible :P )

I've downloaded the phoenix bios editor and some microsoft dev tool to compile the ACPI bits and in the coming weeks I think I'll take a stab at debugging why my pci-e devices aren't detected properly.

My version is a canadian one and it seems the american version's bioses are updated more often (and are completely incompatible :( )

• 6 months later...

Just got a U305-S7446. Here's been my experience with Snow Leopard. I'm now on 10.6.3.

Keyboard/Mouse:

Don't work during the installation, so make sure you have a USB keyboard and mouse around. After installation is complete place AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext in E/E, and VoodooPS2Controller in S/L/E. The trackpad.pref will automagically appear, and you should have full keyboard and trackpad with single finger scrolling and tapping ability. These things originally came from the NB200 Pack.

Video:

Works OOB with 10.6. Must boot into 32 bit mode (using the following boot argument in Chameleon: arch=i386). Make it happen every time automatically by adding the following to com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

Audio:

Kind of a pain in the ass, but I chose this way:

- Put AppleHDADisabler.kext in E/E

- Put VoodooHDA in S/L/E

The AppleHDADisabler kext comes from Dr Daz's work. Can't figure out how to get rid of the volume scroll wheel issue on snow leopard -- the previously posted solution doesn't work. The VoodooHDA I used is also from the NB200 Pack I referenced above.

Ethernet:

Works OOB

Wireless:

Get a Dell 1390

Sleep:

Display sleep works, but sleep doesn't otherwise work. If anyone has any suggestions for this, I'm all ears.

Power Management:

Used VoodooBattery.kext and VoodooPowerMini.kext from the NB200 Pack to get the battery condition to show up.

Webcam: Chicony USB 2.0

I can't get it to work. The light comes on, but there is no image in any of the Apple OS software, iChat, or Skype, but it does work in ooVoo (why, I don't know). This seems like a fairly ubiquitous problem. Tried the Sonix drivers and Cam Twist methods to no avail. It doesn't really matter I guess, because for me at least, the webcam on this laptop is soooooo crappy to begin with!

Referenced kext are attached, as is my dsdt. If anyone has any suggestions on making this better (esp enabling sleep), please let me know!

If your setup looks like mine, then you should have the following:

E/E:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleHDADisabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

S/L/E:

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooPowerMini.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

EDIT-- zipped the non-compiled dsdt, and it is attached.

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip

AppleHDADisabler.kext.zip

fakesmc.kext.zip

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip

VoodooBattery.kext.zip

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

VoodooPowerMini.kext.zip

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

dsdt.zip