AppleHDA Disabler Kext

drdaz

21 posts in this topic

I recently decided to give VoodooHDA under 10.6.3 (32 bit) a shot with my ALC888 mobo. I think those guys have done a great job, and I get good audio without problems. The only issue I had was that unless I deleted AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E I'd get a kernel panic when inserting VoodooHDA. This would potentially be a problem when Apple issues an update.

I could probably have fixed this by DSDT editing, but I thought I'd try configuring the Disabler.kext (by Kabyl... it's been floating around for a while in a number of forms) to block AppleHDA instead. There's no documentation that I can find, so I really didn't know what I was doing. Nonetheless it seems to work for me now. With VoodooHDA (0.2.6.1) in S/L/E, and my AppleHDADisabler in E/E I've got working sound that will hopefully remain stable across updates.

I make no guarantees about this thing, and if it results in something terrible happening then I'm sorry of course, but it's really not my fault. If anybody better acquainted with IOKit can tell me that what I've done can be improved somehow, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Hope this helps somebody else ;-).

Cheers,

/drdaz

AppleHDADisabler.kext.zip

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I recently decided to give VoodooHDA under 10.6.3 (32 bit) a shot with my ALC888 mobo. I think those guys have done a great job, and I get good audio without problems. The only issue I had was that unless I deleted AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E I'd get a kernel panic when inserting VoodooHDA. This would potentially be a problem when Apple issues an update.

I could probably have fixed this by DSDT editing, but I thought I'd try configuring the Disabler.kext (by Kabyl... it's been floating around for a while in a number of forms) to block AppleHDA instead. There's no documentation that I can find, so I really didn't know what I was doing. Nonetheless it seems to work for me now. With VoodooHDA (0.2.6.1) in S/L/E, and my AppleHDADisabler in E/E I've got working sound that will hopefully remain stable across updates.

I make no guarantees about this thing, and if it results in something terrible happening then I'm sorry of course, but it's really not my fault. If anybody better acquainted with IOKit can tell me that what I've done can be improved somehow, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Hope this helps somebody else ;-).

Cheers,

/drdaz

Hey man. Which mother board do you have? and especially the chipset, cus i m trying so hard to get mine working. Mine is ATI SB600 , with ALC 888 audio chip. I tried VOODOOHDA, but no luck

Hey man. Which mother board do you have? and especially the chipset, cus i m trying so hard to get mine working. Mine is ATI SB600 , with ALC 888 audio chip. I tried VOODOOHDA, but no luck

I'm using an EP45-UD3LR. It uses ALC888 too...

Will this kext work in both 32 bit and 64 bit modes?

I'm not sure... I'm currently using a Geforce 7900GTO card, so I'm stuck on 32bit. Gonna order a GTS250 tonight though I think, so I'll find out soon :-) If you find out either way, let me know.

For what it's worth, I've heard there are 2 versions of Disabler out there - one of which won't run in 64bit mode. If anybody can find the one that runs in 64bit mode (or the source code), I'd like to have it.

Can you please help me to disable AppleUSBOHCI via Disabler.kext.

I can try I guess. What does that kext do exactly?

EDIT: Actually... I'm not so sure I can help you here. The kext doesn't load on my system. I would probably have done what you described in your post. Unfortunately since my system doesn't load the thing, I can't test it out :-/

I'm using an EP45-UD3LR. It uses ALC888 too...

I'm not sure... I'm currently using a Geforce 7900GTO card, so I'm stuck on 32bit. Gonna order a GTS250 tonight though I think, so I'll find out soon :-) If you find out either way, let me know.

For what it's worth, I've heard there are 2 versions of Disabler out there - one of which won't run in 64bit mode. If anybody can find the one that runs in 64bit mode (or the source code), I'd like to have it.

I can try I guess. What does that kext do exactly?

EDIT: Actually... I'm not so sure I can help you here. The kext doesn't load on my system. I would probably have done what you described in your post. Unfortunately since my system doesn't load the thing, I can't test it out :-/

For what I've been following since past couple of posts,

I don't know if you have tried this or not.

In Snow Leopard 10.6.x, either ways, if you do want to work in 64-bot mode, and AppleHDA.kext is not a working driver,

then most probably, the next best alternative is VooDooHDA.kext.

Since, there can be only one HDA.kext controller, as I'd read in a previous thread here and where VooDooHDa is being developed by Slice,

Why not try actually moving the original AppleHDA.kext from /S/L/E to another location like how I usually do, when trying new stuff.

maybe move the AppleHDA.kext to /Volumes/your-snow-partition-name-here/Disabled/Orig_Xtns/

That way you have a safe copy, and can work with other files, without trouble.

I found this out when 10.6.2 caused problems with VooDooHDA.kext.

Try it and report. Moving the AppleHDA.kext out, and then using the VooDooHDA.kext, should get it to load and at least give you stereo (2-front speakers) output.

Rest, node pathcing using info.plist file in the VoDooHDA.kext,is something that remains to each unique Audio Chip.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :wallbash:

Why not try actually moving the original AppleHDA.kext from /S/L/E to another location like how I usually do, when trying new stuff.

Because as I wrote in my original post, when Apple release an update that contains a new AppleHDA.kext, everything goes wrong. The update will put the kext back in /S/L/E, loads it, and you get a kernel panic.

By using Disabler, you stop AppleHDA.kext from loading, allowing VoodooHDA to stay active without panics.

Because as I wrote in my original post, when Apple release an update that contains a new AppleHDA.kext, everything goes wrong. The update will put the kext back in /S/L/E, loads it, and you get a kernel panic.

By using Disabler, you stop AppleHDA.kext from loading, allowing VoodooHDA to stay active without panics.

Hi DrDaz.

Of course, that goes without saying, Apple does renew the AppleHDA.kext in most of its updates.

However, the way I work, is by making my system as Vanilla, and having the least of 3rd party KEXTs such that they do not interfere with other kexts or working of a stable system.

Furthermore, a Disabler would need to be 64 bit if you are booting into 64bit kernel and extensions mode in Snow Leopard.

Lastly, possibly, such a Disabler.kext would also require its Info.plist to be edited such that it does block the AppleHDA.kext.

Instead the most simplest solution IS to move the original out of the /S/L/E folder and move a VooDooHDA.kext there.

Wouldn't that be much simpler, a solution? ;)

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :ninja:

Wouldn't that be much simpler, a solution?

drdaz's solution is much simplier IMO. No need to move new AppleHDA every update.

Beside, this will only cater users who are having KP when VoodooHDA is used instead of AppleHA.

Hi DrDaz.

Of course, that goes without saying, Apple does renew the AppleHDA.kext in most of its updates.

However, the way I work, is by making my system as Vanilla, and having the least of 3rd party KEXTs such that they do not interfere with other kexts or working of a stable system.

Furthermore, a Disabler would need to be 64 bit if you are booting into 64bit kernel and extensions mode in Snow Leopard.

Lastly, possibly, such a Disabler.kext would also require its Info.plist to be edited such that it does block the AppleHDA.kext.

Instead the most simplest solution IS to move the original out of the /S/L/E folder and move a VooDooHDA.kext there.

Wouldn't that be much simpler, a solution? :rolleyes:

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :ninja:

You should do whatever works for you and whatever makes you happy. This works for me, and if somebody else wants to use it, then that's great... Then I'm giving a little something back to the community for once.

Which one is 'simpler', and which is more Vanilla depends on your definition of the words. I see my solution as simple, as it will be simple in the long run. It won't require re-application every time Apple makes a new release. I would consider patching DSDT so that AppleHDA doesn't load (rename HPET to AZAL, I believe) to be equally clean and simple for the same reasons. The only reason I choose using Disabler for this purpose is because System Profiler shows my audio config if I leave my sound device as HPET in DSDT. Purely cosmetic, but I like it that my machine appears like a real and complete Mac from the OS.

I would prefer to be able to use the original AppleHDA, but since they've locked that down to specific cards that don't include mine I can't do that without nasty hackery. I don't consider bin-patching AppleHDA to be simple, for the same reasons. When Apple releases an update, the hack needs to be re-applied.

Basically I want my system to require as little maintenance as possible, so that I can actually use it for the things I built it for, instead of having to spend my time working on every update.

Will this kext work in both 32 bit and 64 bit modes?

It certainly looks that way. I'm booted in 64 bit mode now, and everything's working just fine :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Basically I want my system to require as little maintenance as possible, so that I can actually use it for the things I built it for, instead of having to spend my time working on every update.

Less maintenance = better. :D

Confirmed working on Lion DP 4, will test on GM soon.

Excellent. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just found this DSDT fix:

/* Fix - Disable AppleHDA.kext auto loading to use VoodooHDA.kext
Device (HDEF)
{
   Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
   Name (_S3D, 0x03)
   Name (RID, Zero)
   Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
   {
    0x05,
    0x04
   })
   Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized)
   {
    Noop
   }
}
Fix End */

source

I couldn't test it because I'm using AppleHDA for sound, but it's maybe good for voodooHDA users.

• Like 1