Zephiroth Mac OS X 10.5.1 AMD Install Guide

pcmantinker

120 posts in this topic

On my system (ASUS M2A-VM MB) I needed to set the SATA controller to AHCI mode before it would show up in the disk utility. Give that a try...

that method works, i have the same MB and it worked for me,

nice tutorial :)

at the end of the installation, i didnt have to set the active partition thou, i could just boot right into Leopard, works great, kind of a ugly start up screen thou lol, no apple :blink:

if anyone one has a driver for realtek ac'97 audio please help me out!! thx

back to 10.5.1

the account loop problem I think I had found a new solution

at the last page, which ask your name and password

when I type all the things, It hangs and I need to reinstall

but when I leave the password BLANK, it will ask "do you really want to set no password" sth like that

and I agree

the account created successfully

did anyone try this b4 or I jus luck today?

"fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0s1"

Is that seriously what you've been typing??? Where did you find that? On the Wiki? In MY instructions? (rhetorical questions all - please don't answer...)

AFTER you've booted off the Install DVD and successfully installed OS X ( Got the BIG GREEN checkmark and told that your computer will reboot in 30 seconds ):

pull the DVD, see if it boots from the install HD now...

IF it DOES:

- HURRY, press a key!!

- you want to start in "safe mode"! Use -x at the prompt

- it'll take a while to run through all the .kexts & etc. - chill out

- if it works, you'll be at the "we don't know what-the-stink keyboard you have"

Oh, and if no one has told you yet:

10.5.1 DOESN'T work on ALL HARDWARE!

I've had 3 successful installs on EIGHT (8) different AMD computers. I probably do better than most...

woops yeah thats what i typed (i saw it above on the 4th page) i did try it the way you wrote but got the same result.

i did it again last night and presto it booted but unfortunately i got the "Debugging called Panic" then it freezes and doesn't move from there..

I tap like a mad man F8, F12, Enter to try and -x start up in safe mode but no luck what key should i be pushing? right now it goes from motherboard pic screen goes black with flashing cursor then loads right down to the infamous "debugging called panic" please help out if you can.....

I hate to say this, but Leopard will not work with all hardware. I'm not sure exactly why, but all that I know is that Leopard wasn't designed to run on a PC. You need just the right configuration for it to work. Sometimes playing around with different hardware can fix your issue. If you have a couple of video cards lying around, maybe you could try those. Just a suggestion.

Also, if you haven't yet, take a look at these pages:

advice for installation problems with zeph´s release can be found at:

http://osx86.wikidot.com/

a forum dedicated just for this release exists at:

http://osx.kbot.de/

• 2 weeks later...

can't boot from dvd on HP Pavilion dv6650, the error "firewire guid 0000000000 is invalid" apears every 5 seconds. how can i fix that? there's no option to turn fw off in bios, maybe i can skip loading firewire modules?

i need help with audio, i have Creative labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE. how do i fix it.

Also ive no internet and i wana use this wireless adaptor D-link WUA 2340 wireless.

Any help will be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

finally i did it!!!

Thxxx so much guys!!!!

a tip for the beginners:

dont forget to select ur hd on disk utility

(the model and sn not the pratition)

Select the mbr!!!! Dont forget!!!

after that install....

boot again from the dvd and select -s and do the fdisk...

if u boot but stuck at a grey sceen try booting ond the hd

with -s and delete geforce drivers (search on this threat how)

if it doesnt help search to boot with a low resolution (i forgot the code)

good luck!

and thx for u all that helped me!!!!

ah and if it help my pc is:

amd athlon 64 x2

1gb ram

80gb ide hd

geforce 7300gt

all other onboard (usb, sound, internet...)

@wrkOSX: I was not able to get my Sound Blaster Audigy SE working in Mac OS X Leopard. As of yet, I have not found any compatible drivers. I am just using my Realtek onboard sound. It's not bad. For your wireless card, I am unfamiliar with D-link WUA 2340. You should try and see if anyone else has been able to get this card working. Not all hardware will work with Mac OS X sadly, but it's great when hardware does work.

@_Wolverine_: Congrats on your installation of Mac OS X Leopard! It's quite a chore at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not so hard. Personally, I've installed OS X on my second hard drive at least 8 times. This was mainly due to installation incompatible drivers. I couldn't figure out how to delete them and restore OS X to its previous state. I have learned what to do and what not to do from these experiences. Just be careful when installing new drivers. Learn as much about them as possible. I now have a stable 10.5.1 system, running like a native Mac.

can't boot from dvd on HP Pavilion dv6650, the error "firewire guid 0000000000 is invalid" apears every 5 seconds. how can i fix that? there's no option to turn fw off in bios, maybe i can skip loading firewire modules?

you gave up, i am still trying after 3 month on hp6152eu amd same spec as yours, don't even bother trying 'cause i 've heard that if you happen to get it install most of the hardware wont work, like you start/boot it up keyboard or mouse, or even both won't work.

i couldn't believe it 'cause my hp is the daddy of them all, it got everything tv all the juice and i have to rely on my £299 toshiba to dual with vista. incredible.

"Installing leopard on Hp pc is like putting makeup on a pig" :P

So, I was planning on installing Mac OS X 10.5.2 (using Zephyroth's AMD-EFI iso) onto my IDE USB External Drive, since my SATA internal drive has too many partitions on it already.

I already have Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on that drive, plus a data partition.

Is there any way I can install this onto that USB External Drive? The BIOS I have on this computer (an Acer Aspire 5100-3357) supports booting from that USB external drive.

The specs on my computer are as follows:

Acer Aspire 5100-3357

AMD Turion 64 MK-38 (2.2 GHz)

4 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 RAM

120 GB Toshiba SATA Hard Drive

120 GB Western Digital IDE Hard Drive in an USB External Enclosure (the one I plan to use to install Mac OS X on)

ATI Radeon X1100 using 256 MB of RAM

Realtek HD Audio sound card

Has anyone even tried to install it on a USB Hard Drive?

• 3 weeks later...

You should be able to install OS X 10.5.2 to your external drive as long as the OS X installer can find it and mount the drive. I know that OS X can see my portable hard drive that is NTFS (I'm using the NT3G driver). You could try and install on your portable drive. Just make sure that you can boot from the partition on your USB drive.

Why I can`t boot the instalation DVD... I get some problem after recognize my dvd drive... and all process are kill and the laptop reboot... I try all this options... cpus... -x, -F, etc... I have F730US Presario... AMD 64 ATHLON X2... nforce chipset... 250GB HD Sata... I have tiger instaled natively with vista... dual boot... Do you know about any solution for my laptop??? And NO... I don`t want buy another... :blink:

All help are welcome... tks all... :D

just tried to install Zephiroth's 10.5.2 AMD EFI REV 1 on my Athlon X2 on nForce 420 Motherboard. The installer boots and installs fine to SATA hard drive.. I selected the EFI boot MBR option (formatted MBR) and I reboot.. Can't even get the CHAIN Loader to come up to start booting off the installed hard drive.. Is there a trick to fix this.. I have even tried loading chian0 off of a separate internal IDE drive that loads properly (from the NT Boot loader) and it says chain0 error. Checked the drive on another mac and data looks good on drive... File system is there.. Just the boot loader doesn't seem to get installed from the disk!!!

Thanks

LetnI

• 1 month later...

3rd Zephyroth 10.5.1 + AMD 10.5.1 Updates + Marvin - External USB HD Install:

MB: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H 690G AM2 Motherboard (onboard Radeon x1250 video is disabled)

CPU: Athlon64 X2 4200+ socket AM2

LAN: Realtek RTL8110 - Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps - working (supported natively)

Sound: Realtek ALC889A HD Audio (working! with digital audio output!)

Video: Gigabyte fanless 8600GT PCIe (JohnnieCarcinogen v0.1 installer WORKS all features supported!)

Drives: Maxtor 320GB SATA HD (SATA enabled with the "SB600_SATA_ATA" kexts!)

LG GGC-H20L Combo Blu-ray & HD-DVD drive (SATA & working! Wish OSx could play HD-DVD's! )

Firewire: Oops! haven't checked yet!

--------------------------------

cgsheen,

I am trying to install Zephyroth 10.5.2 on the same Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H mobo as your install #3 but I am stuck on "Still waiting for root device". My setup is as follows:

MB: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H 690G AM2 Motherboard

Video: onboard Radeon x1250 video

CPU: Athlon64 X2 5200+ socket AM2

LAN: Realtek RTL8169/8110

Sound: Realtek ALC889A HD Audio

Drives: Maxtor 120GB IDE HD (Master) and Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111C (Slave)

USB keyboard and mouse

It appears that the Radeon x1250 is not supported but this should not cause the Still Waiting issue.

The maxtor drive is partitioned with a 29Gb FAT32 partition and the remained is unallocated. There is no operating system on the drive. Do I need to configure this differently?

I have set the Onchip SATA Type to Legacy IDE and the Onboard LAN function is initially disabled, as is the Legacy USB Storage detect. Are there any other BIOS settings I should tweak?

The install log is located at www.mnlavey.com/screen_shot.jpg

I appreciate any input you or anyone else can provide.

Mike

hello

i m New in this Forum and as Many others i got a Problem with the zyp installation. Downloaded v2,burnt it,installed it and now there is the Apple at my Monitor, but it loads and loads and nothing is gonna happen. There is also a circle with a,dunno,looks Like it is forbidden. It Stops there.

what should i do? Need fast help pls.

sorry 4 ma bad English. I also have to write with my iPod,thats a Qual. Thx for the help

Short my System:

amd6400+

4gigs Ram gskill

asus m2n sli

I am totalY newby at this terraint. Ah,also tried the commands to make itboota ble, but itdid Not work besides i am able to Boot, so i dunno the Problem

helloi m New in this Forum and as Many others i got a Problem with the zyp installation. Downloaded v2,burnt it,installed it and now there is the Apple at my Monitor, but it loads and loads and nothing is gonna happen. There is also a circle with a,dunno,looks Like it is forbidden. It Stops there.what should i do? Need fast help pls.sorry 4 ma bad English. I also have to write with my iPod,thats a Qual. Thx for the helpShort my System:amd6400+4gigs Ram gskillasus m2n sliI am totalY newby at this terraint. Ah,also tried the commands to make itboota ble, but itdid Not work besides i am able to Boot, so i dunno the Problem
I've had a similar issue before. The remedy to the problem is to make sure you pick the proper chipset driver from the options in the installation. You need to have the chipset driver so that Mac knows how to interface with your motherboard and hardware properly. Do you have a SATA hard drive?
just tried to install Zephiroth's 10.5.2 AMD EFI REV 1 on my Athlon X2 on nForce 420 Motherboard. The installer boots and installs fine to SATA hard drive.. I selected the EFI boot MBR option (formatted MBR) and I reboot.. Can't even get the CHAIN Loader to come up to start booting off the installed hard drive.. Is there a trick to fix this.. I have even tried loading chian0 off of a separate internal IDE drive that loads properly (from the NT Boot loader) and it says chain0 error. Checked the drive on another mac and data looks good on drive... File system is there.. Just the boot loader doesn't seem to get installed from the disk!!!ThanksLetnI
Sounds like your MBR was overwritten by the Mac installer. I've run into that a few times. The way that I fixed that was by doing a clean format to NTFS of my hard drive with the Windows setup disk. I had to let the installer run for a minute or two then I shut down the pc before it could finish. After that, I booted up my pc again with the setup disk and ran the recovery console. Then I executed:
 fixmbr

and then

fixboot

That should fix your mbr and boot sector on your hard drive. When you go to re-install Mac, don't format the entire disk as a Mac volume; just format the NTFS partition as a new Mac volume. This will keep the MBR intact. After you have created your volume, proceed with your Mac install. It took me about 20 minutes on my SATA hard drive for installation. Let me know if you have questions.

Hello :)

thx for the answer.

got a Sata-II HDD, full name is " Festplatte SAMSUNG SP2004C SCSI Disk Device"

my graficcard is a GeForce 7800 GT

amd 6400+

4gb gskill

and an asus m2n sli

I do not know anything about mac and it is installation. hm. where can I find the chipset driver. better, which one I should take? how to paste it to the mac leopard installation?

is it possible that my pc could take some damage from the mac installation?

do I have to change the mac leopard installation disk?

I read throw the topic, did it like discribed.

is it possible that some1 explains the whole for me? windwos sucks, do not want to have longer this system on my pc. is it possible that apple release a leopard for pc?

pls help me, it would give me great pleasure if u help me in an easy way, so that i can understand it, even I am german and totaly new at this zone.

thanks ;)

• 1 month later...

just wanted to thank you for the great guide, it helped me a lot with the installation on my pc.

I finally got it working properly without too much trouble..and i'm just getting around to finding

and installing some drivers for my hardware.

For the purpose of this thread, my system configuration is the following:

AMD Athlon X2 64 4800+

Asus M2A-VM Motherboard (HDMI) (AMD 690G Chipset)

2 x 1GB Kingston RAM

Palit Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 1GB (still looking for a proper driver)

Onboard ATI Radeon X1250 128MB

80GB IDE Seagate 7200.x

500GB SATA Seagate 7200.9

Realtek AC883 Onboard HD Audio

Realtek Gigabit Ethernet

I left WINDOWS VISTA installed on the SATA HDD.

and now its a dual boot through the BIOS.

I did not have much trouble with the installation, except the initial hiccups with

SATA HDD for which i disconnected it, Switched the BIOS to AHCI controller,

and installed on the IDE drive. Attaching the SATA HDD after install worked fine.

Also i noticed, the installer did not load up when the NTFS partitions were active,

and so i had to make the IDE drive partitions all FAT32, before formatting them to HFSJ (Journaled)

using Disk Utility of the installer.

I also had to buy a USB keyboard, since the method for PS2 kext did not work for me,

the OS X just refused to detect my keyboard.

NVinject for 8800GT did not work for me either, and i had to delete those kexts.

PS: It took an insane amount of time to completely install (over 6 Hours),

which is something that has me a little confused, because Windows Vista does not

take more than 15-20 minutes for a clean install on my sytem.

I'm a little scared of screwing up the install with bad drivers now,

with the fear of having to go through the 7 hour install procedure again.

That's a 690G motherboard? I'm fairly amazed you got it to install at all... The slowness is due to lack of support for the SB600 chipset. I was able to use the "SB600_SATA_ATA.zip" .kexts on my Gigabyte 690G motherboard and have it work. (I did the initial install on an external USB HD & originally used Zeph's 10.5.1. Once I got it booting and installed the "SB600_SATA_ATA" .kexts and had the onboard ALC889a audio working, I moved the install to an internal IDE drive. I can also use Zephyroth 10.5.2 version 1 on that machine (or update from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2))

Thanks for that piece of information, i was totally unaware of the compatibilty issues of the 690G chipset.

I was wondering earlier if it was an issue with my hard drive resulting in such a slow install.

Added 690G to my original post.

Thats understandable then, thankfully i have learnt my way around installing and removing kexts, so the initial OS install is running well.

I had a couple of kernel panic issues, and had to remove the troublesome kexts using the Win Vista partition.

No need to Re-Install yet . :)

A day into using the OS, I was facing slow response, and fairly noticeable lag

mainly due to the Graphic Driver missing for 8800GT (G92 Chip).

I did some searching in the forums, and in the G92 thread, i found the solution.

Its working great now, no lag, no noticeable slowness, and resolution of 1280x1024 with QE, CI enabled. :wacko: