[HowTo] P5N-E SLI nForce 650i leopard Complete Walkthrough Guide

KellyKelly

199 posts in this topic

Hello all,

1. Anyone got the onboard LAN working on this board?

2. Also, for some reason, i cannot change my resolution, i only have 1 option (1024 X 768) on my 22" Acer 2223WD. Can anyone help?

Everything runs fine for the most part - I need to make a backup and then test the system more. But first, is it sufficient to back up only the System/Library/ folder and the mach_kernel file, or do other files need to be backed up to be able to recover?

Thanks in advance.

My Specs:

P5N-E SLI - BIOS (0901)

Intel Q6600

4 x 1GB RAM G.SKILL

EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB

1 IDE - hosts OSX86 (iATKOSi1.0r2) - Installed using EFI, still running 10.5.1

1 SATA - hosts Vista

I pretty much followed the guide. I didnt need the USB & Line fixes, they worked out the box for me.

Hi, I'm having serious problems getting this to work on my P5N-E SLI. After the install it wouldn't boot so I had to do the EFI fix that I found on here somewhere. After that I was able to get the Darwin boot menu but I cannot get it to boot with anything less than a "-f -v -x cpus=1". Anything less than that and the kernel will panic.

When I get it booted with those options I do not see a welcome video. All I get is an initialization for the keyboard. When I finish that it moves on to selecting region and language. Then it asks me if I want to transfer anything from another Mac. After I say no to that it immediately returns me to the initializing keyboard screen. No matter what I do with it I cannot get past this. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

The only strange thing I remember doing is including wireless support in the drivers to see if I could get my wireless card working. I also have a Creative Audidy X-Fi ExtremeGamer in this system. I don't know if that could be causing some of my problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What are you specs?

Also, it is generally best (from my experience) to first install without bells and whistles such as wireless, LAN, etc. Also, if i remember correctly, there is a screen that asks if you have internet connection - I'll suggest that you unplug the LAN cable, hopefully that helps.

I've compiled some of the information that I thought was relevant about my setup. Anything else was on board and you should know what is onboard since we are all running P5N-E SLI's. I did another test last night on my system. I tried running the system without the Wireless card, then without wireless and the soundcard and it still failed at exactly the same place with a kernel panic when I would use the options "-f -v cpus=1". Obviously I have installed iATKOS v1.0ir2 on the Fireball drive since that is my only PATA drive. Would it be possible that the USB drive is causing a problem? How about the BIOS version? I reinstalled without the wireless. I used the NVInject 256 meg driver. Is that correct for the card I have? I'm running Vista Home Premium on my 320 GB and I am using EasyBCD 1.71 to dual boot Mac OS X. I don't think there is any problem with that though, and the booting seems fine up to that point. Any ideas? I'm thinking of disconnecting the USB drive as one option.

Mobo : Asus P5N E Sli (Nforce 680i) BIOS Version 0803

Cpu : Intel E6400 Core2Duo 2.13 GHz

Ram : 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 DHX PC2-6400 800MHz

2 x 1 GB Corsair Value Select PC2-5300 667 MHz

HDD Sata : 320 GB Western Digital Caviar

500 GB Western Digital Caviar

HDD Pata : 30 GB Maxtor Fireball ??

HDD USB: 250 GB Beyond Micro USB2.0 (Idetifies at WDC)

DVD-RW Pata : LG or HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H50N ATA Device

VGA : Winfast GeForce 7600 GS 256MB PCI-eWireless:

DLink DWL-G510 Wireless G Card

Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy X-Fi ExtremeGamer (on board sound disabled in BIOS)

Sorry about that, but it is a LeadTek Winfast 7600GS.One more thing. I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard and Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 combo. They use the same receiver and are USB connected to my system.

Now I've royally screwed it up. It will crash very early in the booting procedure no matter what I do. Looks like when it is detecting the hard drives. An attempt at booting from the cd again will give a "waiting for root device", but I have a PATA DVD drive. I'm scratching my head to figure out what I've changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I have gotten some issues... I'am using iATKOS 1.0ir2 - I can succesfull the installation on my drive, but i can't boot into mac, because of a kernal issue. I have triede using cpus=1 (getting gray screen says you need to reboot) and -v -f cpus=1 (freeze at Darwin Kernal somewhere around there) I think it near to get into os...

And have selected out

Bootloaders:

"EFI Bootloader"

"Darwin X86 Bootloader"

Patch:

"SEE2 SEE3 Kernel" (For the blinking cursor problem)

"Remove CPUPowerManagementDriver"

"Remove Thermal kexts"

Driver:

"Netkas AppleSMBIOS.kext"

And my specs is:

ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 0505

CPU:         Intel® Core2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz

VGA:         NVIDIA     GeForce 8600 GT

Display:   Philips 190S5

MB:           Asus p5n-e sli

PATA:       Maxtor 6Y080L0 (80) [extern hard drive] I mean one is connect by USB port.

Audio:      RealTek ALC883 Sound/Mic- (The one on the Motherboard

RAM:        1 x 2 GB and 512 x 2 MB (3 GB) / DDR II SDRAM / PC2-6400CL5 / 800 MHz

LAN:         nForce Gigabit LAN Controller [Marvell 88E1116 Chip] (The one on the motherboard)

I got two other hard drive too... Would it help, trying install it on them?

ST380011A (80 GB) [With Windows xp]

SAMSUNG SP0802N (80 GB)

I have also tried this in the terminal..

fdisk -e /dev/xxx (disk name)

flag x (partition number)

update

write - Here i get a problem, with it can't write/find my MBR, and i have made the partition MBR

Sorry for my bad gramma+english

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

This guide is great, but I'm having a few problems with my Leopard installation, also I'm adding more information regarding my installation, which might be useful.

My PC spec is on my signature, I'm using BIOS 0901, but in the past I've tested something like 06xx. Both work fine.

I've installed iAtkos using a pre-patched DVD that has nForce SATA support, so this way I could slip my Leo installation on my 320Gb HD, which worked. Previously I had a good working installation on my Windows HD, but I've bought a new HD just for mac as I need a lot of space to work with Final Cut Studio (which worked on my first installation).

I had a few problems during installation, for exemple, I have a Core2 processor but it will only boot with SSE3 modified kernel. I'm trying to test other kernels because I'm having a problem that's annoying me, and I believe it has something to do with kernel.

When Leo is under heavy load, it will simply stop responding. The screen freezes (cursor moves, but on the "loading" mode). The "working" light on my CPU shows no work. Tried to wait, but PC won't respond, so I just reboot.

I tried to detect the problem using a monitor to see any high CPU usage from any process, but everything seems to be normal on the moment of the "death", except that it's a moment of natural load: entering application (can be anyone: iTunes, Photoshop, MSN), switching spaces or the most annoying one: when installing something.

Do you know any solution or possible cause for this problem? Can you send me via MP (or links) working kernels (mainly the golden kernel that i can`t find) or any other ones that might work?

By the way, something that I need to ask is, how to properly update to version 10.5.2 - besides the kernel, what kexts should be found on a newer version or overwrite the update new insert?

Thanks

Finally it installed but I can't boot from the IDE drive. It take some longer time before it xp loads but nothing else. Yes the IDE drive is "Active".

Anyone who know how to fix it?

My hdd is shown in bios ^_^

Hi! Firstly it's a great guide, thank you..

But i have some problems.

1. Open the diskpart and type what you say, but when i type "active" and press enter, it says: "Select a part and try again" is it normal?

2. I skip the diskpart step when it give an error, and i set the bios. I reboot the computer, boot from dvd, i try "-f" and "cpus=1" its frozen. Then i try "-v"

First:

screen2yx3.jpg

screen2yx3.860766ec33.jpg

It's opened but i couldn't use my mouse and keyboard. The arrow is not moving on the screen.

Restart and try again:

screenef7.jpg

screenef7.6fa73ae84f.jpg

It's frozen like that.

What sould i do :'(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I have the following set up

DVDs: Mac4ll v1 and v2

iATKOs v2r

ToH(?)

Pc1: Foxcoon mob with Pentium D 2.4ghz

2 gb memory

Sata DVD rom

IDE drive with 80 gb

no other graphic card added except 128MB on the board

USB drive empty

Foxconn P4M9007MB-8RS2H

Socket 775 Motherboard for Dual-Core CPUs

I managed once only to install iATkos v1ir2

but as soon as I updated it it failed

now i can not remember which setting i need to do to reinstall it.

I also used Mac4qall and no sound worked.

PC2

P5N-E sli intel dual core 2 quad 2.4ghz

4gb memory

160 IDE drive one partition is vista and one is for Mac

this board made me mad

I have tried everything and the DVD would never boot unless i change bios by disabling everything like Sata controller Lan controller etc... except Hte

then it loaded ok and install ok but only with iATOKs v2

I followed the guide . everything is fine but as soon as I load : i get this

HsF+ missing os software

when i boot DVD and play with all setting i managed to go somewhere but then a panic kernel

with rest of DVDs none worked same issue i don't even get to install part

PC

laptop

Sony Vaio FS285B

I never managed to get any DVD working on a spare empty Drive(no USB)

Please help me

Ok...I have some problems here...

I'm running a P5N-E SLI with a Core2Duo E4300 and 2 kingston DDR2 1gb 800mhz.

It boots normally with "-v-f cpus=1", but, it doesn't find my hard drive.

My primary drive is a Samsung HD250HJ Sata 2.

Now, the questions:

Does iATKOS only work with PATA drives?

Is there a version of OSX x86 that works with the P5N-E SLI in a SATA drive?

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

I know you probably get alot of these questions but:

I have 2 160gb Hard-Drives in Raid 0 (SATA)

Is their anyway I can install it as a partition on this

OR

can I buy a 20gb IDE hard drive and install OSX onto that. If so will it still give me the choice to boot into Vista or OSX or not :S

Yes I've got the same config and 2 SATA disk and it's working perfectly with Kalyway 10.5.2 :rolleyes:

Would you care to elaborate on this? I've also got a P5NE-SLI, with Kalyway 10.5.2 I get waiting for root device (tried with SATA and IDE DVD drive, also SATA and IDE hdd's with no success). Also with Kalyway 10.5.1, when I get into Disk Utilities, it refuses to create an MBR partition on any drive, SATA or IDE, it does however create the GUID and other partition type just fine, but they don't show up when selecting a disk to install to.

Could you share with us what boot arguments and/or kernel you've had success with? Also what is working perfectly, LAN, audio, bluetooth, 1394, both cores? no cores?

Wow

At last

Thank you Guys. it took me ages to get it working almost all night and I am now finding very fast all Cpus seems to work and I am downloading update as I type will let you know.

I have one question

I still can not boot without having to type -v -x cpus=1 other than that everything works

The issue i have is the AppleNForceATA.Kext. i have followed the above guide and changed it with the new one but on -v mode it shows

found AppleNForceATA.Kext or something similar then it says failed

any idea????????

Thanks again

btw i have back it up before i made changes just in case

Update: got it sorted. by simply keep restarting .everything works fine

Hi

I have the same issue now and then(have same Mob with dual2 quad). i simply power off the PC by taken off the plug and wait 2 seconds then restar without DVD and it works. sometimes I don't use Cpus=1 the 4 cores work fine .sometimes I have to use cpus=1

thank you very much!i was without hope in making mac os x work in my p5n-e, i just thank you very much!i will install this weekend, i just love this SO, and you just brought everything, including the dual boot and all codes and software!THANKS A LOT!!!!!!ANYTHING YOU NEED ABOUT HARDWARE OR CONSOLES TRY CONTACTING ME LUCASMX@GMAIL.COMWWW.LUCASMX.COMlook i was searching the iATKOS on TPB and i found a newer version, 2.0i, shal i use this version or the one you specifyed? (sorry my english, im brazilian)i must install it this weekend!hugS!

I have an Asus P5N-E SLI and cannot for the life of me get the on-board NIC working. The network applet says the cable is unplugged. I have tried each of the kext's for Marvell Yukon and NVidia (forcedeth) NICs and none of them have worked. I have tried the "unplug the power cord for 30 seconds and boot" trick to no avail. I've tried both Kalyway 10.5.2 and iATKOS r3 without success. I tried the driver MikeINS posted, but couldn't get that to work either, but perhaps I didn't install it correctly. I've been scouring these forums and guides but haven't come across someone with the same problem (NIC detected by network applet but says cable unplugged.)

I see the interface listed as en0 when I do an ifconfig, but the status is inactive. The link light nor the activity light on the back do not light. I know the NIC works...I've been using it fine under XP on my other HD.

I feel so close...like one little thing isn't set quite right. Any ideas? I haven't had to do the cpus=1 trick. Do I need to use that for MikeINS' driver to work (period!) under Leopard?

Thanks in advance!

-Schnazzy

Hardware:

Asus P5N-E SLI (infamous Marvell 88E1116 onboard NIC)

Intel E6600 Core2Duo

2 x 1GB OCZ Platinum rev. 2 PC2 6400 DDR2

500GB Maxtor SATA-II HD (WinXP, disconnected while monkeying with Leopard)

80GB Maxtor PATA HD (Leopard)

Sony 2.4x DVD-RW

nVidia 8800GTS 320MB

I have an Asus P5N-E SLI and cannot for the life of me get the on-board NIC working. The network applet says the cable is unplugged. I have tried each of the kext's for Marvell Yukon and NVidia (forcedeth) NICs and none of them have worked. I have tried the "unplug the power cord for 30 seconds and boot" trick to no avail. I've tried both Kalyway 10.5.2 and iATKOS r3 without success. I tried the driver MikeINS posted, but couldn't get that to work either, but perhaps I didn't install it correctly. I've been scouring these forums and guides but haven't come across someone with the same problem (NIC detected by network applet but says cable unplugged.)

I see the interface listed as en0 when I do an ifconfig, but the status is inactive. The link light nor the activity light on the back do not light. I know the NIC works...I've been using it fine under XP on my other HD.

I feel so close...like one little thing isn't set quite right. Any ideas? I haven't had to do the cpus=1 trick. Do I need to use that for MikeINS' driver to work (period!) under Leopard?

Thanks in advance!

-Schnazzy

Hardware:

Asus P5N-E SLI (infamous Marvell 88E1116 onboard NIC)

Intel E6600 Core2Duo

2 x 1GB OCZ Platinum rev. 2 PC2 6400 DDR2

500GB Maxtor SATA-II HD (WinXP, disconnected while monkeying with Leopard)

80GB Maxtor PATA HD (Leopard)

Sony 2.4x DVD-RW

nVidia 8800GTS 320MB

hi there,

can you tell me which options did u chose. co'z i pick all the options according to the guide and got the blinking cursor.

asus p5ne sli ( not sure about the bios version )

Intel E6550 Core2Duo

2 x 1GB OCZ REAPER DDR2

250GB Seagate SATA (WinXP and Vista Dual Booting and unplugged don't wanna messed up my windows partition)

40GB Maxtor PATA HD (hopefully Leopard but can't the damn thing to boot after installing it.)

IDE DVD DRiIVE

nVidia 8600GTS 5

going nuts already and not getting enough sleep. HELP PLS.! :)

i'm actually at this part where it says

1. Once you're done click install
  2. Go ahead and skip DVD verification if you want [installation might take from 30min to 1 hour, so relax, get a cup of coffee]

<LI>

1. When the installation is done reboot your computer

--FOR DUAL-BOOTING--

1. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[*]Boot in to XP/Vista

[*]Download

[*]Install and open the program

[*]On the Add/Remove Entries click on Mac OS X and select x86

[*]Enter the name you want example "Mac OS X Leopard"

[*]Click add entry

[*]Reboot your computer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Press F8 when it ask you and boot with "-v"

and got this error

here's my set up:

P5NE SLI MOTHERBOARD

CORE 2 DUO 6550

40GB IDE HARD DRIVE SET AS PRIMARY MASTER

160GB SATA HARD DRIVE ON SATA 1

2 IDE DVD DRIVES SET AS SECONDARY MASTER AND SLAVE

geforce 8600 gts 512mb

and here's the options that i chose during installation:

disabled jmicron and 1394 sound / hpet enable as default

and the goodies that i chose:

darwin x86

efi for core 2 and the appleacpi ( it says u have too if picking efi )

and the rest whatever u said including nvinject 512mb for my vga.

and when i booted it back to osx this stupid error showed up:

let me know what i need to adjust during the installation: thanks for your help

post-236184-1213239847_thumb.jpg

post-236184-1213240393_thumb.jpg