[HowTo] P5N-E SLI nForce 650i leopard Complete Walkthrough Guide

KellyKelly

199 posts in this topic

hi friends i have this board and i installed leopard successfully.

tell me how to boot a cd or dvd from leopard.

i have a bootable tech tools 4 dvd.

i tried c and option key but doesn't worked.

is there any darwin command to boot from bootable dvd ?

iATKOS v4 doesn't work on P5N-E SLI yet...

I have spoken with Uphuck and he said it needs some patch to work.

He will include it in the new iATKOS v4 R2. It should pretty soon.

He sent me a modified file, and he told me how to modify the v4 DVD to include the file he sent me, and it fixes the "Still waiting for root device" problem. I have installed iATKOS v4 using this modified DVD.

The best thing to do is to wait for the R2 patch. It will surely work.

Hi

I have had Kalyway 10.5.2 working reliably on the P5n-e sli board for a month or so now. I have decided to list what worked for me so hopefully helping answer some of those questions I was asking myself...all the solutions are thanks to the x86 community! Everything is working stably including sleep function, restart etc. Only small issue is i have to manually turn off the computer after shutdown - probably just a setting somewhere. Anyway here is what i did:

Kalyway 10.5.2 - install pretty much as per walkthrough guide - IDE drive, -v -x cpus=1, disable firewire etc as per instructions. thanks to those genius people who made it all possible especially the mysterious Kalyway!!

Audio - ALC883Audio.mpkg - then use midi/audio preferences if you need to add front panel sound etc. note: bios must be set to AC97 for front panel.

LAN - onboard would not work - use a PCI-e card that is compatible. I am using an intel pro100s. this worked straight away but then mysteriously stopped working unless in safe mode..??? I managed to get it going again with this kext: AppleIntel8255x.kext

Graphics: I'm using Asus Nvidia en7300gt silent - use: NVinstaller.nv52.pkg

I have also found the program OX86Tools to be an invaluable tool for installing kexts etc easily and safely. Repairing permissions with this program fixed the failure to recognize a USB device without restart. why? I dont know!

Thanks to the OS86 community for such an awesome job!!!!!

P5n-e Sli bios 1002

Asus NVidia EN7300GT (1x)

4Gb Kingston HyperX 800mhz RAM

e6750 2.66G Core-2 Duo

Also running windows Xp (not dual boot at this stage)

I thought i'd also share how I got Leopard running on my spec:

Intel Q6600

Asus P5N-E (Latest 1101 Bios)

4GB RAM

IDE Hard Disks

8800gts 640mb

I tried iAtkos' builds from the net (3 different revisions) - the one I got to boot and install was 'v1i R3' version.

However - certain functions were acting weirdly so here's what I did:

-Downloaded Kalyway 10.5.2 (check md5 sum! very important)

-Burned to DVD-RW at x4 (I dont think it has to be RW but this is what worked for me 1st time)

-I unplugged all my IDE devices apart from the DVD drive & the hard disk I wanted to install on

-Check hard disk is set to Master on jumper settings & DVD drive is set to slave (look on top of device for correct positions)

-Disable Firewire & SATA in bios

-Boot into dvd with "-v cpus=1" (without quotes)

-When booted into disc > disk utility > erase disk > partition with 1 partition (I created it with GUID instead of MBR)

-Make sure the partition name is ONE WORD. To avoid odd things - I simply named it "osx" (all lower case)

-Quit disk utility > customise install > choose the NFORCEKERNEL ONLY in the kernels selection screen

-Choose any other relevant tick boxes you wish to (as explained in the original guide on this topic)

-Start the install - I skipped the disc check.

-(This is where I was going wrong before) The installation would stop progressing the blue bar at random points or move really slowly up until a point where it would stop moving all together and if i clicked something on screen I would get spinning rainbow icon forever.

This problem is related to the DVD drive hardware. I tried 5 different dvd drives (mixture of burners/dual layer burners/players) and 3 worked, 2 failed to install (with the exact same progress bar issue).

I suggest buying/borrowing a cheap dvd drive if this is happening to you, I bought a £10 dvd player (not burner) from ebay - seriously slow reading, from at least a decade ago I rekon - but it worked!

-After it all installed it will reboot, make sure you boot from hard disk this time not DVD. If you selected NFORCEKERNEL at installation you shouldn't need any boot flags so go ahead and just press enter and hopefully you should boot into Leopard!

=Updating Tips=

(This may only work for Kalyway 10.5.2 build so be careful on others)

Install the 10.5.3 Combo Update from Mysticus C* (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102)

Select customise install for update!! you must select the kernel that states "for nforce only!" in the info window when you click on it.

Follow any other tips on that forum topic and you should have sucessfully installed 10.5.3 update now (may take a while - be patient).

Do exactly the same for the 10.5.4 Delta Update on that very same topic by Mysticus C* (with kernel options like last time!)

AFTER UPDATING - I then (and only then) installed the ATA patch, 883 line in patch etc from THIS topic starting guide and it all works!

I of course dont have onboard LAN working but I installed a cheap Realtek 8139C pci card and installed these drivers (even though some come with kalyway - THESE ones are stable under anything):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry498700.

After loosing Quartz Extreme and Core Image when upgrading to 10.5.4 - I installed NVKush (Make sure you remove NVINJECT from extensions folder first!) - it fixed it all for my 8800GTS 640mb.

Hope that helped some of you

Edit: After i had finished installing leopard and everything worked - i just plugged my existing vista install hard drive back in and if i just let the pc boot normally it boots in to osx perfectly, if i wanted vista i just hold f8 at start up and select the vista hard drive to boot from and it boots into vista - perfectly!

if i use two separate drives for OSX and windows i need to use EasyBCD 1.7.1 for dual booting or i just press F8 and select one drive or the other ?

For some motherboard, if you just press F8 you will most likely to get a HFS+ Error or something else. I recommend the EasyBCD Bootloader.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Everything has been working smoothy but one minor problem. The system freezes after a while of downloading with azureus, say for example overnight. I left the system on without azureus (or any other torrent program) and it seemed to stay stable. Any ideas or suggestions as to how to amend this issue? Thanks for all the help.

Hello everyone. Everything has been working smoothy but one minor problem. The system freezes after a while of downloading with azureus, say for example overnight. I left the system on without azureus (or any other torrent program) and it seemed to stay stable. Any ideas or suggestions as to how to amend this issue? Thanks for all the help.

Ok I figured that it would lock up when exceeding 4GB RAM....and this was a common issue so once I tweaked the com.apple.boot.plist file to only maxmem=3072 it seemed continue downloadign and functioning well. I initially thought it was my Asus WL 138G V2 (Broadcom) but I selected it from the HCL list for its ability to work out of box as airport card. Now another problem is when left on over a period of time, it attempts to sleep but when waking up from sleep it distorts the video. Weird. Gonna go to work and leave it on again to see if this continues to happen. But atleast I can browse without system lock up. Now I just have to get it to stay stable. I am using the iDeneb Distros with kernel 9.2.0 sleep.

Hi i have been trying to install this currently i have tried iatkos v4i and Jasosx86 10.5.4 both hang on "still waiting for root device" currently getting kalway to try. do any of these work with this board? i have done all the things mentioned in first post but still it hangs -_- sorry if this is a bit noob

well just a lot of trial and error still. It seems that the system starts to crash when it is left idle but I have not been able to pinpoint an exact time frame that it takes to crash. I did notice one incident which the system started to freeze (it slows down first then freeze) and as it was slowing down I pressed the power button to initiate sleep. When I woke the pc up, the computer was stable and woke up from its impending crashing. Weird? Another issue that seems to confuse me is that at times when I restart the computer and leopard loads...my background loads, but no dock. It's as if the resolution is offset to the right and the other half is what I am seeing. My mouse works and the system functions (I am able to right click, window is opeend) I just cannot see the bar at the top nor the dock. For the most part I would simply restart the computer. But lately after I figured out that sleep works sometimes I would just press the power button and wait till it loads again. The first time it shows a blue screen then I initiate sleep again and upon waking up it shows the dock and background like normal..but the sensitivity or tracking on the mouse greatly increases. A lot of reading has taken place and I am still far from figuring out all these hiccups. Something I read today was the importance of EFI and having that sync software and hardware initially. I don't think I have done this quite yet but might have to test it out .

• 1 month later...

Anywon tried installing Ideneb 10.5.5 with mobo p5n32-e sli? it installs ok, but has a kernal panik on boot up. ive got Q6600 quad CPU.

even with -x cpus=1, still doesnt work.

im still a very noob at this... but learning...

but would like to know if this mobo works with this release??

cheers

Hey Guys, anyone already tried Jas 10.5.4 and iDeneb V 1.3 10.5.5, now we just have iatkos 2.0 and kalyway 10.5.2 reported useful. I'll test the iDeneb V1.3 now and make my feedback.

from windows 7 6801 activated

• 2 months later...

Ok i really need some help with my P5N-E SLI

I'm trying to install iPC 10.5.6

Ok before you say search button or this and that I have and i have tried experimenting with different install configs but all lead me to pretty much the same thing which i will list in the best detail I can now

Ok first install used following config:

9.5.0 Voodoo kernal

Nvinject 320 MB VRAM

AppleNForceATA Drivers

ALC883

nForce Ethernet Driver

Patched USB Driver

SATA Drive Icon Fix (New)

Dual Boot time Sync

IOPCIFamily.kext 10.5.5

All Applications except Marvins AMD Utility

Result: Gave me a Stop sign threw the Apple on the boot screen

Then I booted with -v -f cpus=1 which yielded the error Failed to load extentsion com.apple.driver.APPLEACPIPCI (so I figured it was due to IOPCIFamily.kext 10.5.5 so I didn't use it again)

Second install used following:

either 9.4.0 modbin Patched kernal or 9.4.0 StageXNU Universal kernal

Nvinject 320 MB VRAM

AppleNForceATA DriversTest

Dual Boot time Sync

Result: Would boot to light blue screen and stuck there no keyboard or mouse

When booted with -v -f cpus=1 (i think) I got Gray screen with stuck cursor same with -x

Third install used following:

Did not select kernal this time

Nvinject 320 MB VRAM

AppleNForceATA Drivers (used original again)

Dual Boot time Sync

When booted with -v -f cpus=1 (i think) I got Gray screen with stuck cursor same with -x

My PC setup is:

Asus P5N-E SLI

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz

2 GB Ram

8800 GTS 320 MB

SATA HD formated via gparted for triple boot. Ubuntu, XP Media Center, Mac OSX

btw before with like kalyway or iAtkos they didnt even work although i have a feeling it was my disk dause i ran a test on that batch and the PFI & DMI error rate was HORRIBLE so that may have been why. but I would really like to get this one installed if possble

Ok i really need some help with my P5N-E SLI

I'm trying to install iPC 10.5.6

Ok before you say search button or this and that I have and i have tried experimenting with different install configs but all lead me to pretty much the same thing which i will list in the best detail I can now

Ok first install used following config:

9.5.0 Voodoo kernal

Nvinject 320 MB VRAM

AppleNForceATA Drivers

ALC883

nForce Ethernet Driver

Patched USB Driver

Dual Boot time Sync

IOPCIFamily.kext 10.5.5

Result: Gave me a Stop sign threw the Apple on the boot screen

Then I booted with -v -f cpus=1 which yielded the error Failed to load extentsion com.apple.driver.APPLEACPIPCI (so I figured it was due to IOPCIFamily.kext 10.5.5 so I didn't use it again)

Second install used following:

either 9.4.0 modbin Patched kernal or 9.4.0 StageXNU Universal kernal

Nvinject 320 MB VRAM

AppleNForceATA DriversTest

Dual Boot time Sync

Third install used following:

Did not select kernal this time

Nvinject 320 MB VRAM

AppleNForceATA Drivers (used original again)

Dual Boot time Sync

My PC setup is:

Asus P5N-E SLI

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz

2 GB Ram

8800 GTS 320 MB

SATA HD formated via gparted for triple boot. Ubuntu, XP Media Center, Mac OSX

btw before with like kalyway or iAtkos they didnt even work although i have a feeling it was my disk dause i ran a test on that batch and the PFI & DMI error rate was HORRIBLE so that may have been why. but I would really like to get this one installed if possble

Try

9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

NVKush then set your video card with EFI Studio

AppleNForce ATA

The ALC883 did not work for me, I searched for a different 883 installer

NForce Lan

Dual Boot Time Sync

Seat Belt.kext 10.5.5

Apple SMIOS-27 Rev 3 Mac Pro

Chameleon with DSDT Custom Boot Picture

All Applications except AMD

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone still have the golden kernel (efi or non-efi) links? its broken

also

Has anyone fix the "Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0x32, timing out!" problems with MCP51/430i nforce 6 series chipset on leopard 10.5.6?

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone fix the "Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0x32, timing out!" problems with MCP51/430i nforce 6 series chipset on leopard 10.5.6?

Hi, i did see this message on my P5N-e SLI with a lot of usb error messages during boot,

I also had a very slow usb transfer rate.

I typed this to solve the problem.

cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo rm -R IOUSBFamily.kext
sudo rm -R IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext
sudo mv IOUSBFamily.kext.orig IOUSBFamily.kext
sudo mv IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.orig IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

repair permissions, cache,s etc

reboot

This solves my usb problems.

Edit : I have iPC 10.5.6.

Installed on ASUS P5N-E SLI iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 with voodoo kernel, updated to 10.5.6 with two Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 256MB DDR3 QE/CI activated and 4 monitors on SATA HD and IDE HD (two installations) (DVD IDE works, DVD SATA works).

Installed also IPC osx 10.5.6 ppf5 final on SATA HD with voodoo kernel and dual videocards(DVD SATA don't works, works only IDE DVD).

Audio OK (Stereo output, mic input and line input, front panel don't works, only rear I/O)

LAN OK

Giorgio

• 3 weeks later...
I got 10.5.6 running here with the vanilla kernel using iPC

Only problem i have is that systemprofiler crashes, anybody has a fix?

Nevermind fixed, changed some stuff in my bios and profiler works great now ^_^

Could you describe what options did you choose on ipc and bios? I want help my sister to install leo and her computer's config are p5ne-sli, sata hd and dvd and core 2 duo e6750. The problem I'm miles away from her and I need to do a little tutorial. Thank you in advance.

Installed on ASUS P5N-E SLI iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 with voodoo kernel, updated to 10.5.6 with two Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 256MB DDR3 QE/CI activated and 4 monitors on SATA HD and IDE HD (two installations) (DVD IDE works, DVD SATA works).

Installed also IPC osx 10.5.6 ppf5 final on SATA HD with voodoo kernel and dual videocards(DVD SATA don't works, works only IDE DVD).

Audio OK (Stereo output, mic input and line input, front panel don't works, only rear I/O)

LAN OK

Giorgio

It would be nice if you describe what options to choose in bios and installation if you don't mind. I would thank forever...