[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

If you have the Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform use the AppleACPIPowerSource.kext from first post, but edit it (guide at first post), you may also need the previous PowerManagement.bundle or the one that is linked at first post.

If you have the Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform use the AppleACPIPowerSource.kext from first post, but edit it (guide at first post), you may also need the previous PowerManagement.bundle or the one that is linked at first post.

so I change it from 1.2.1 to:

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</key>

<string>1.1.0</string>

Thats how I got it to work before from the kalyway install, changing it from 1.0.5 to 1.1.0

hi all, i got my m1330 2 weeks ago, and i've tried to install OSx86 for 2 days. I've finally installed it correctly, but i have several questions now, wich i didn't find clear answers for in the forum :

-> first i didn't installed the update about 10.5.2, is it necessary to di it first before all the others modifications on kext ?

->i think i've suceeded to install nvidia drivers without any problem with the first installer posted by macgirl on first page, but how do i check my card is well recognised ? is it written somewhere in system preferences or anything (i'm a new mac user, don't know a lot of things yet)

->about the audio, i've tried everything, but i can't get it to work : i downloaded the stac9228 pack posted in the first page, copied each files (hda and alcinject) manually in the right folder then did the terminal commands to repair the extensions (i think so) and reboot, but no sound (not even on headphones), so i tried using kexthelper, reboot after each one of the two files, but no sound either, not even on headphones. What did i do wrong ?

-> finally i tried installing the speedstep package posted on the first page along, wich contained clear instructions and all i needed apparently to use a sort of "powersaver" and a batterymetter, but after having followed all the instructions, i finally got apparently the speestep working because i have the indications of the cpu frequency running on the top bar, but nothing about the batttery metter, i read PyrO posts for instructions, but i don't exactly get what to dou : does it mean i have to install another bundle, and about the acpi platform if i use vanilla kernel, well how do i know i use vanilla kernel , (i suppose i'm not because i've installed the mach_kernel from the speestep package ?) then what do i need to do again ?

Sorry for all the questions, i've tried to do it all by myself, learned a lot in 2 days, but i still can't figure out some stuff.

EDIT :oh and yes, about the reboot step : as the dell don't shut down properly, i turn it down myself from the button, but l've asked myself if it couldn't disturb the installation processus ? i really don't know because the shut down seems to work until the last step where it goes black screen and stop there without turning the power off, but still woth ask for it ...

and about the sleep, my computer doesn't really turn to sleep, but it goes balck screen anyway, and then i can't get it to wake up again, is it normal ? i already got the problem on XP, when the computer goes in "full sleep", can't get a way to wake him up ...

Ok. Just got my M1530 on wednesday. I reinstalled the OS and set everything up as I liked. I made two partitions. Windows install created three: a very small one on top (boot blocks, I assume), then my windows partition (150 gb) and a free partition for the MacOS.

Fast forward to last night. I installed iATKOS with the options I thought I needed, restarted and it tells me it can't read the HFS partition. I come to find out that it can't read the windows partition either. So I figured now that my windows installation is hosed, I could do my partitioning in disk utility instead.

I'm definately going to make a backup this time once I get everything up and running in Windows.

Thanks to macgirl and everyone here, I got my M1530 working nicely, finally. Thank you all for your help. The touchpad is just slightly sluggish. I am wondering if there's a fix or is that how PCs roll.. and I am just used to the great touchpad on real macs?

Thanks to macgirl and everyone here, I got my M1530 working nicely, finally. Thank you all for your help. The touchpad is just slightly sluggish. I am wondering if there's a fix or is that how PCs roll.. and I am just used to the great touchpad on real macs?

Was your trackpad sluggish in windows too? Mine was, so I'm having it replaced today. Hopefully it's not just a crappy part issue.

hey macgirl, you should add this to your guide:

If after reboot you are not getting any sound, here is the solution: set up a hot corner in expose to "sleep display" and immediately after booting up, before you run any apps that use sound drivers, go to your hot corner to sleep and then unsleep your display, NOT the computer. Your sound should work now.

hey macgirl, you should add this to your guide:

If after reboot you are not getting any sound, here is the solution: set up a hot corner in expose to "sleep display" and immediately after booting up, before you run any apps that use sound drivers, go to your hot corner to sleep and then unsleep your display, NOT the computer. Your sound should work now.

This does not seem to work on my dell vostro 1400.

I have tried twice now to get iATKOS installed on my M1530. Last time I just tried installing in on a partition I created myself and this timed I tried one of the guides from the OSx86 Wiki, both with the same result: When I restart I get this error: "HFS+ Partition Error". I am also unable to get back to my Vista partition. :(

I have tried twice now to get iATKOS installed on my M1530. Last time I just tried installing in on a partition I created myself and this timed I tried one of the guides from the OSx86 Wiki, both with the same result: When I restart I get this error: "HFS+ Partition Error". I am also unable to get back to my Vista partition. :(

There are plenty of tutorials on how to fix the HFS+ Partition Error. Easiest one is to boot off of the Leopard DVD then use fdisk. Look @ the Dell Vostro guide in this same area of the forum. Answer is on page 2, some guys blog link.

There are plenty of tutorials on how to fix the HFS+ Partition Error. Easiest one is to boot off of the Leopard DVD then use fdisk. Look @ the Dell Vostro guide in this same area of the forum. Answer is on page 2, some guys blog link.

I used the fdisk while booting off the dvd. Now when I reboot my machine it goes into a Dell diagnostic tool.

Was your trackpad sluggish in windows too? Mine was, so I'm having it replaced today. Hopefully it's not just a crappy part issue.

Hmmm, good call. Honestly I don't remember, I only booted into Windows once and immediately went onto OSX. Let me know if the replacement changes things. It's just not very precise. It feels like it moves in too many pixel increments...

Hmmm, good call. Honestly I don't remember, I only booted into Windows once and immediately went onto OSX. Let me know if the replacement changes things. It's just not very precise. It feels like it moves in too many pixel increments...

Yes. It made quite a difference. I would recommend it. Its much better in both OS X and Windows.

MacGirl: thanks, I see my error with fdisk. Of course, now I'm getting the partition error again. But I know how to get back into windows!

Ok. I got everything booting: windows or mac. No problem. Once in OS X, I ran software update but upon reboot I'm getting a kernel panic. Should I just reinstall?

You cant run Software Update because it installs some components that cause kerenl panics, if you did not install EFI the Vanilla kernel wont work, and also installs AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext that cause kerenl panics even with EFI installed, only PCs that have HPET could use that kext, and if you did not have ACPIPS2Nub.kext before the update keyboard and trackpad wont work.

Anyway no need to reinstall, delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and if keyboard doe not work you can connect an USB keyboard and mouse and install the ACPIPS2Nub.kext or change the AppleACPIPlatform.kext

I'm confused about how the HDA patcher and the ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext work.

EDIT. I still don't know how to use the .kext files, but I got the audio working anyway.

I couldn't get the power management bundle to install and I don't know if it's related but when I shut down or restart, my m1530 just hangs and I have to hold the power button to shut down and then back on again.

Granted the install went quite well considering how easy it was to get everything working.

AppleHDA patcher from Taruga is a program that modifies the AppleHDA.kext based on a codec dump, then it installs it with the ALCinject.kext.

The ALCinject as other Injects (like NVinject or Natit) does an inject of code necesary to make some kexts recognize specific hardware, ALCinject is for sound kext.

I couldn't get the power management bundle to install and I don't know if it's related but when I shut down or restart, my m1530 just hangs and I have to hold the power button to shut down and then back on again.

My 1530 does the same thing, drives me crazy because it only happens after installing the 10.5.2 nvids, even the one in software update does the same thing. I did get the audio to work correctly, but with 10.5.1 and the power management bundle I was able to get battery status as well. With 10.5.2, no battery info.

My 1530 does the same thing, drives me crazy because it only happens after installing the 10.5.2 nvids, even the one in software update does the same thing. I did get the audio to work correctly, but with 10.5.1 and the power management bundle I was able to get battery status as well. With 10.5.2, no battery info.

Yup it happens to do that too on my 1530 after installing the 10.5.2 nvids. I hate having to manually shut down/restart.

I got the battery and power management to run properly. Now assuming you were able to replace PowerManagement.bundle and rebooted after, check your ACPI versions in terminal by typing: kextstat | grep ACPI and take note of the version numbers concerning: AppleACPIPlatform, and IOACPIFamily. Edit AppleACPIPowerSource.kext by making changes under the OSBundleLibraries section. Repair and permissions and reboot. After that check your energy saver preferences, it should tell you settings for being on an AC Adapter or on Battery. From there you should be able to enable the battery icon.

Everything else--including 10.5.2 updates + 10.5.2 kernel from Kalyway and sound--works just great.

check your ACPI versions in terminal by typing: kextstat | grep ACPI and take note of the version numbers concerning: AppleACPIPlatform, and IOACPIFamily. Edit AppleACPIPowerSource.kext by making changes under the OSBundleLibraries section. Repair and permissions and reboot. After that check your energy saver preferences, it should tell you settings for being on an AC Adapter or on Battery. From there you should be able to enable the battery icon.

Did that. I have IOACPIFamily 1.2.0 and AppleACPIPlatform 1.0.5, both entered in AppleACPIPowerSource.kext within the AppleACPIPlatform.kext plugins.