[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

ouch! I can't boot on my mac now:

These pictures show the error that I have:

This one appears with the vanilla kernel. It stops loading when VOSTRO 1700 is written. Why?

img0051fp7.th.jpg

On this picture, this is the error with nektas kernel, having copied it from VISTA

img0047un5.th.jpg

So could you explain me why I have these problems?

Thanks

Sorry for my english

I am havin problems with sudden white screen, followed by reboot in seconds. Has anyone of you guys had this problem? I can't observe any logic in this as it happens randomly but really bugs me. It happens on both Leo4All with Vanilla or Speedstep by netkas kernel. I also tried the V3 Keyboard.kext but it won't work for me. Did not install butler though, hope that helps.

Just thought I'd put a note in here:

I have an M1330 trying to install for the first time with Kalyway 10.5.1

I kept getting a kernel panic (something to do with AcpiOsFree and IOLib.cpp)....

Kept trying with the DVD about 10 times and it finally worked...however I think if you enter the BIOS first, then exit it, THEN boot the DVD it works. Not sure why that would make any difference but I thought I'd mention it for anyone else that kept getting panics with Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD.

@MacGirl

my 1490 is in WWAN slot. I used two thicker cables (out of three available antenna cables) and switched MOBILE MODEM on in the bios in the 'WIRELESS' section.

Hope that will help.

@M Y Awan

How to switch it on?

Utilities > Bluetooth > Bluetooth Explorer if you run it it will say that bluetooth is off and ask if you want to turn it on. Dragged that icon onto my dock so every time I need to use bluetooth i click that once and bluetooth will work until restart.

I'm sure there is a way to switch it on somewhere in the .plist files by default but since those are my very first steps on mac maybe someone else...

Hallo Vostro Users,

after reading howtos to make EFI device entries, I made my own com.Apple.Boot.plist with 2

devices:

- Nvidia 8600M-GT 256 MB with 1680x1050 display, VGA output, internal Display as primary

- Sigmatel 9205 supporting mute, Sound out and in, still no micophone

Thanks to Macgirl and Superhai for EFi hints and stangri for sound mute function.

Things to done as root after coping com.Apple.Boot.plist to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

- delete NVinject.kext, NVinjectGo.kext, ALCinject.kext orr better move them to a save location

- remove /Sytem/Library/Eytemsions.mkext and reboot.

You might want to apply your display resolution to the com.Apple.Boot.plist to our own needs.

com.apple.Boot.plist_Vostro1500.zip

ouch! I can't boot on my mac now:

These pictures show the error that I have:

This one appears with the vanilla kernel. It stops loading when VOSTRO 1700 is written. Why?

img0051fp7.th.jpg

On this picture, this is the error with nektas kernel, having copied it from VISTA

img0047un5.th.jpg

So could you explain me why I have these problems?

Thanks

Sorry for my english

In the first picture I observer panic after ACPI Throttle, boot in single user mode and remove that kext.

In second I observe an error that says that com.apple.kernel.libkern cannot be found, this is in System.kext, probably missing or you have other version, if you insall 9.2 kernel you need 9.2 system.kext, if you have 9.1 kernel you need 9.1 system.kext

Hallo Vostro Users,

after reading howtos to make EFI device entries, I made my own com.Apple.Boot.plist with 2

devices:

- Nvidia 8600M-GT 256 MB with 1680x1050 display, VGA output, internal Display as primary

- Sigmatel 9205 supporting mute, Sound out and in, still no micophone

Thanks to Macgirl and Superhai for EFi hints and stangri for sound mute function.

Things to done as root after coping com.Apple.Boot.plist to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

- delete NVinject.kext, NVinjectGo.kext, ALCinject.kext orr better move them to a save location

- remove /Sytem/Library/Eytemsions.mkext and reboot.

You might want to apply your display resolution to the com.Apple.Boot.plist to our own needs.

Could you elaborate more on the sound mute issue, or link a thread?

Did you could do something about the PS2 keyboard?

Hello, I have Dell Inspiron 1520 (c2d 1.6ghz, gf 8600m gt 256 mb using NVinjectGO 0.2, Kaliway 10.5.1), and have shutdown/reboot problem - my laptop hangs up with black screen on all kernels - vanilla 9.1, 9.2, kaliway's 9.1 and 9.2, and netkas 9.2. Before installing nvinject there was no such problem

Also battery meter doesn't work even with PowerManagment.bundle

Any ideas?

Hello, I have Dell Inspiron 1520 (c2d 1.6ghz, gf 8600m gt 256 mb using NVinjectGO 0.2, Kaliway 10.5.1), and have shutdown/reboot problem - my laptop hangs up with black screen on all kernels - vanilla 9.1, 9.2, kaliway's 9.1 and 9.2, and netkas 9.2. Before installing nvinject there was no such problem

Also battery meter doesn't work even with PowerManagment.bundle

Any ideas?

Use NVinject instad of NVinjectGO (I find minor diffs, but sometimes affect).

BTW, Thanks a lot to polk the tip about setting Mobile Modem on worked, almost no difference in signal quality/strength but sometimes the Intel get higher.

Although I like much more the Dell Wireless Utility on XP does not work al the time, and in Kubuntu I need to use ndiswrapper of BCM43xx, so for now and since I almost not using Kubuntu I'll stay with the Intel connection.

here are some pics:

Wireless.jpg Wirelless_XP.jpg

I leave the Intel 3945 on the WWAN and the Broadcom on the WLAN slots tho.

Could you elaborate more on the sound mute issue, or link a thread?
Yes stangri postetd for mute function with sigmatel 9205. He used HDA Patcher version 1.18 that's all.
Did you could do something about the PS2 keyboard?
Sorry I had no time to make my own PS2 layout, but I will do this next time. I was playing around with my 2nd display ;)
on my m1530 i can see the bluetooth icon on top but when i click on it shows me this message: "Bluetooth: Not Available"
This could happen, when you connected a blue tooth item that is not availbe at the moment to your computer. I had the same problem.Solultion:- Delete all Bluetooth item in your prefences panel- If preferences panel is not availble, check bluetooth functionalty in system profiler.- If bluetooth is unavailbe, try to use another usb kext. My BCM2045 bluetooth device is a subdevice from usb bus.

In the first picture I observer panic after ACPI Throttle, boot in single user mode and remove that kext.

In second I observe an error that says that com.apple.kernel.libkern cannot be found, this is in System.kext, probably missing or you have other version, if you insall 9.2 kernel you need 9.2 system.kext, if you have 9.1 kernel you need 9.1 system.kext

I've removed ACPI Throttle CPU from Vista but now, it says that it can't mount disk0s0, disk0s1 ..., disk1s1 ...

What's the problem?

I did the security + safari updates... But not the time machine upade.. I rebooted used my computer for a bit (with sound gone) and then my wifi goes out. I have the 1390, it said the card is off... When ever I try to reable it hitting on does nothing... Any solutions? Is my card dead? Thanks

Well if you went to 10.5.2 and did some updates you may need to re-install your 10.5.1 airport kext that was functional. Use this thread that I solved and added the IO80211Family.kext...My instructions are in the final post, if you need help just post up and I can help you with it. Worked for me on my desktop.

Thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87335

BTW 1505 Dell Truemobile Wireless Card arrive today, it didn't work on the WWAN slot, I switchet to the WLAN slot, but having problems with Windows XP (Dell Software not working) I don't care much since I did not use it much but I am kind of "perfectionist". I put the Intel Wireless card in the WWAN slot and didn't work, (maybe I need to switch the Flash Cache module setting in BIOS).
Does the 1505 Wireless Card operate under OSX? I remember Dell driver trouble from their Web site, when I installed a full working XP. I took a driver for XPS1530 for wireless because Vostro drivers were not availbe at that time. Flash Cash module only handles IO for HDs, I think. Try to run onboard diagnotic mode to see if the 1505 card works. Can you see an unkown device in XP device manager? What happens when you switch the instant wifi button on and off?

Try PCGenUSBEHCI.kext, look at Hardware->Other peripherals subforum

I've tried it but it didn't help.

I'm using Superhai's installer for sleep as well. I re-installed it after failing with PCgen...

When I plug in a usb device it doesn't show up. USB port is fine and works, just not here.

FYI everyone (especially macgirl)

On a whim I bought a Linksys USB200M USB->ethernet adapter, after having read that it has the same chipset as the Apple one. I kinda like the form factor better, and its a bit cheaper. It works 100% out of the box, so if its an option for you, go for it.

Does the 1505 Wireless Card operate under OSX?

Yes it does, actually better than in my vista x64 :/ In vista it loose connection now and then and after sleep it uses ages before it reconnects... in osx it is only at once and i have never had a lost connection.

I've removed ACPI Throttle CPU from Vista but now, it says that it can't mount disk0s0, disk0s1 ..., disk1s1 ...

What's the problem?

Are you using MacDrive?

In the past MacDrive made me a lot of corruption on my Mac drives ;)

Does the 1505 Wireless Card operate under OSX? I remember Dell driver trouble from their Web site, when I installed a full working XP. I took a driver for XPS1530 for wireless because Vostro drivers were not availbe at that time. Flash Cash module only handles IO for HDs, I think. Try to run onboard diagnotic mode to see if the 1505 card works. Can you see an unkown device in XP device manager? What happens when you switch the instant wifi button on and off?

Yes, it is operating as an Airport, I have no Draft N router yet, mine is failing by the way, so with that excuse I will buy one :P

What it is not working is the Dell Wireless Utility Software on XP, on Vista operates very good, on XP I am using Windows Zero Configuration, and in Kubuntu I need the NDISWrapper drivers since it is not detected natively.

Switch Off/On works fine, even on Mac OS.

FYI everyone (especially macgirl)

On a whim I bought a Linksys USB200M USB->ethernet adapter, after having read that it has the same chipset as the Apple one. I kinda like the form factor better, and its a bit cheaper. It works 100% out of the box, so if its an option for you, go for it.

I have one too, what I dont like is the tiny little door, I think is very fragile, even one day a co-worker pull the Ethernet cable with his foot and my adapter was broken in the external plastic, electronics are fine even the door is fine, but with those cables that loose their "latch" (don't know its name, tiny piece that secures from getting out) they can't be hold so I rather prefer the Apple adaptor.

Where can I find system.kext for 9.2.2 kernel (time machine)?

If you've got it, could you post it here please

thanks

Download Time Machine Update and extract it with Pacifist.

BTW there is a new 9.2.2 kernels for SSE3 with or without EFI.

Yes I'm using mac drive. What other software is equivalent to mac drive?

Furthermore, I'd enjoy to download time machine update but I can't boot in mac :\ so that's why I'm asking you to post the system.kext because I've the kernel.

edit:

I've installed 9.2.2 SSE3 kernel but it doesn't change anything. Whatever the kernel I choose, I've the same error:

Here is a picture:

img0053uv0.th.jpg

I have one too, what I dont like is the tiny little door, I think is very fragile, even one day a co-worker pull the Ethernet cable with his foot and my adapter was broken in the external plastic, electronics are fine even the door is fine, but with those cables that loose their "latch" (don't know its name, tiny piece that secures from getting out) they can't be hold so I rather prefer the Apple adaptor.

Yeh, its a bit flimsy, but generally I anchor the cable somewhere else, and I dont usually put my cables under co-workers' feet :huh:

Plus, when it does break, Ill just wire/superglue a normal socket onto it anyway....

Yes stangri postetd for mute function with sigmatel 9205. He used HDA Patcher version 1.18 that's all. Sorry I had no time to make my own PS2 layout, but I will do this next time. I was playing around with my 2nd display :whistle:This could happen, when you connected a blue tooth item that is not availbe at the moment to your computer. I had the same problem.Solultion:- Delete all Bluetooth item in your prefences panel- If preferences panel is not availble, check bluetooth functionalty in system profiler.- If bluetooth is unavailbe, try to use another usb kext. My BCM2045 bluetooth device is a subdevice from usb bus.

For bluetooth I found that if I partner it with my Treo 750, it makes OS X load IOBluetoothBNEPDriver.kext which dies taking all Bluetooth functinality with it.

If you unload this kext it'll work fine.

@M Y Awan

How to switch it on?

Utilities > Bluetooth > Bluetooth Explorer if you run it it will say that bluetooth is off and ask if you want to turn it on. Dragged that icon onto my dock so every time I need to use bluetooth i click that once and bluetooth will work until restart.

I'm sure there is a way to switch it on somewhere in the .plist files by default but since those are my very first steps on mac maybe someone else...

i could'nt find bluetooth explorer. there is "bluetooth exchange" available but no bluetooth explorer

I just wanted to replace the AppleSMBIOS.kext that was installed by iATKOS with the one that comes with pc_efi_v80.

However loading the desktop ends up with a black screen doing that. In general at this point I have to use the X3100 sleep trick to get a display again, but in this case it doesn't work (to be more precise: the touchpad hot corner trick doesn't work anymore.).

Certainly I also deleted /System/Library/Extensions.mkext when switching.

I also wanted to install the vanilla 10.5.2 kernel. If I open the Kalway installer, I'm not sure whether it replaces more than I want. Actually I first wantet to try the kernel before running it. What's the command line boot option to use another kernel? How do I manually locate and decompress the vanilla 10.5.2 kernel in the Kalway kernel archive?

thanx,

7oby

hey guys, I just installed leo4all on my vostro 1400. Wireless, ethernet and sound does not work out of the box.

keyboard and mousepad also stops working when a wireless USB is plugged in.

And oh, btw does the aztech WL230 USB adapter work? It uses a ZyDAS chip, but when I install the OSX drivers nothing happens.

Yes I'm using mac drive. What other software is equivalent to mac drive?

Furthermore, I'd enjoy to download time machine update but I can't boot in mac :\ so that's why I'm asking you to post the system.kext because I've the kernel.

edit:

I've installed 9.2.2 SSE3 kernel but it doesn't change anything. Whatever the kernel I choose, I've the same error:

Here is a picture:

img0053uv0.th.jpg

I've just reinstalled Léo so I haven't problem :D

But I think that in 10.5.1 my battery life is longer than in 10.5.2. Am I right?

Furthermore, what does the 10.5.2 bring to the 10.5.1?

Superhai, I fount a value that possibly could help us to make the system to sleep on lid close.

Searching the web I found this on IORegistry:

| +-o IOPMrootDomain

| | | {

| | | "IOSleepSupported" = Yes

| | | "IOAppPowerStateInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"

| | | "AppleClamshellCausesSleep" = No

| | | "Hibernate Mode" = 3

| | | "IOHibernateState" =

| | | "IOPriorityPowerStateInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"

| | | "Supported Features" = {"WakeOnLid"=33161223,"Automatic Restart On Power Loss"=33292293,"PowerRelativeToShutdown"=33095687,"Wak$

| | | "IOUserClientClass" = "RootDomainUserClient"

| | | "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"

| | | "IOPowerManagement" = {"ChildrenPowerState"=4,"CurrentPowerState"=4,"DeviceChangePowerState"=4}

| | | "SystemPowerProfileOverrideDict" = {"Hibernate Mode"=3}

| | | "AppleClamshellState" = No

Is there a way to change AppleClamshellCausesSleep value?

If I write on terminal: "ioreg -l | grep AppleClamshellState"

It says:

| | | "AppleClamshellState" = No

But with lid close and logged with ssh:

| | | "AppleClamshellState" = yes

So the state of the lid it is detected.

Can we make a script that detects this state and make the system to sleep?

EDIT:

I found that this command could make the sysem to sleep:

/usr/bin/osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to sleep'

Now a script that check the lid state could trigger that.