How I Install 10.5.2 in EP35DS4 Rev 2.1 Intel

34 posts in this topic

EDITED 3/2/2008

I am not going to write a tutorial on how to install and all that,

I don't think i am qualify for that, But i would like to share with you links to tutorials

that have guide me though my success.

1st

About GAEP35-DS4

Here

2nd

Update bios to F2

Here

Bios settings

Thanks to karaakeha1

3rd

Install Kalyway 10.5.1 (Or if you have a mac skip this)

Thanks to Kalyway

4th

Install Clean 10.5 or 10.5.1 (If you are happy with Kalyway 10.5.1 skip this)

Thanks to LSL

5th

Update to 10.5.2

Thanks to Netkas

and Devin

Or

Kalyway 10.5.2 combo update

Some Info Here

6th

Update 10.5.2 kernel vanilla (If you have the newest skip this)

LSL Guide

Just redo the Step 1, 2, 4, skip 3, and repair file permission.

7th

Update VGA driver

Thanks to johnniecarcinogen

8th

update AppleSMBIOS (If your spec is not showing right)

Thanks to Mac.nub

9th

Fix Shutdown problem

Thanks to netkas

And now you should have a fast all working hack!

Enjoy

Last post

Hi,

I was wondering what's the difference between P35DS4 Rev 2.0, P35DS4 Rev 2.1 and EP35DS4 Rev 2.1?

I have compare them from the chart online and can't see anything different except for price, energy efficiency and number of USB ports?

P35DS4 Rev 2.0

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherbo...?ProductID=2624

P35DS4 Rev 2.1

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherbo...?ProductID=2745

EP35DS4 Rev 2.1

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherbo...?ProductID=2744

Can anyone point of the difference and most importantly will they probably works with leopard?

Thanks

Edit:

According the tech person here, Nothing between P35DS4 Rev 2.1 and EP35DS4 Rev 2.1

Just time when it was release and bios version.

I ended up buying the GA-P35-DS4, I will let you know how well it works once I get my computer running. I'm still waiting for my graphics card and my hard drives which are supposed to arrive monday/tuesday. My computer is already built with every part that i did receive.. just lacking those 2 things :(

Btw I bought 2 of the same exact hard drives you have on your list as well. I found them both open box for $93 so I had to get it :D My graphics card is also similar, 8800gt though.

I ended up buying the GA-P35-DS4, I will let you know how well it works once I get my computer running. I'm still waiting for my graphics card and my hard drives which are supposed to arrive monday/tuesday. My computer is already built with every part that i did receive.. just lacking those 2 things :blink:

Btw I bought 2 of the same exact hard drives you have on your list as well. I found them both open box for $93 so I had to get it :( My graphics card is also similar, 8800gt though.

Yes Please! Thanks for the feedback I am looking forward to hear from you.

What way are you planning to use to install your os with?

I'm planning to install using kalyway and may try installing retail version on the extra HD.

I think it's fairly safe to say in a blanket statement that ANY of the P35[C]-DSX(p35c-ds3r, p35-ds3, p35-ds4, etc) family works fine in osx86. There are very few differences between any of them.

I am planning to get GA EP35-DS4 Ver 2.1 but i don't know what's the difference between them.

Latest is the best i guess?

I'm planning on installing with Kalyway, I wasn't aware you could just use the retail version... I wonder what the differences are...

My graphics card should come in about 4 hours :P I might try to just install it on an old hard drive while I wait for my new ones to come tomorrow. That way I could have some practice for the real thing.

I tried installing Kalyway on my older hard drive with no success. I tried several times with different settings.. Each time it would get 16-18min left and then the install would fail, prompting me reboot. :\

Hopefully when I get my HDDs today it will be different :\

I have seen somewhere that some incompatible machine does produce error but OSX should be working...I'll try to remember where i have seen it and get back to you.

Edit: Ohh i saw it in youtube, he end up not having the computer working but i have read somewhere that it should work i don't remember where tho...

Kalyway Failure

By Evanrodge

Kalyway Sucuss

By kane2932

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ5epvBpiUw

Got my hard drives and my pc is now fully built.

I am in the process of installing kalyway now, I'll let you know how it turns out.

For my disc erase I'm doing a 7-zero out pass, just to be more secure since I bought both my hard drives open box from newegg. It's taking a while... um it might take all day. ;)

*Edit* Umm, I'll do that some other time, its 12 hours for 1 pass. "Continues on with install"

*Update* This time it seemed more reasonable, the estimated time remaining was 1 hour 50 min compaired to 16min like last time. How ever about 1/3 of the way in I got the same error message.

"The installer could not validate the contents of the 'Essentials' package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Hi,

I have compare them from the chart online and can't see anything different except for price, energy efficiency and number of USB ports?

Thanks

not to be a smartass, but the difference is probably price, energy efficiency and number of USB Ports.

:angry2: ....

try re-burning the DVD at 1x speed on a high-quality disc.

not to be a smartass, but the difference is probably price, energy efficiency and number of USB Ports.

;) ....

Thanks for your input, I'm actually trying to follow your guide even though my mobo is a bit different. It has helped me get a little bit further, but still no luck. I reburnt the DVD at 2x already so I guess I'll burn it for a third time. :D I'll try your advice, I am also going to switch the DVD drives and IDE connectors, see if that helps any as well.

*EDIT* Looks like I can only chose 4x as the slowest.. anyway still trying.

If that fails, I will try the retail DVD, and if it still doesn't work might go out and purchase a sata dvd drive.

I've been at this for 4 hours now. Lot longer to go I imagine..

;) ....

Haha thanks for pointing that out, i kind of aware of the difference between

P35-DS4 Rev 2.0 & P35-DS4 Rev 2.1

But can't find any between

P35-DS4 Rev 2.1 & EP35-DS4 Rev 2.1

Anyways i am going to get the EP35-DS4 Rev 2.1 next month...

Hope it'll work...

Thanks for your input, I'm actually trying to follow your guide even though my mobo is a bit different. It has helped me get a little bit further, but still no luck. I reburnt the DVD at 2x already so I guess I'll burn it for a third time. ;) I'll try your advice, I am also going to switch the DVD drives and IDE connectors, see if that helps any as well.

*EDIT* Looks like I can only chose 4x as the slowest.. anyway still trying.

If that fails, I will try the retail DVD, and if it still doesn't work might go out and purchase a sata dvd drive.

I've been at this for 4 hours now. Lot longer to go I imagine..

You might already know this but just in case a reminder,

Do not use space in Hard Disk name, and be sure to check bios option of dvd rom and hard disk and lastly sprinkle some salt and do the sumo ritual haha just kiddin.

Haha thanks for pointing that out, i kind of aware of the difference between

P35-DS4 Rev 2.0 & P35-DS4 Rev 2.1

But can't find any between

P35-DS4 Rev 2.1 & EP35-DS4 Rev 2.1

Anyways i am going to get the EP35-DS4 Rev 2.1 next month...

Hope it'll work...

You might already know this but just in case a reminder,

Do not use space in Hard Disk name, and be sure to check bios option of dvd rom and hard disk and lastly sprinkle some salt and do the sumo ritual haha just kiddin.

I have three spaces in my hard drive name. And I wrote the guide :P . As well as a space and an apostrophe in the name of my thumbdrive. Its easier to type if you don't have them, but it is by no means a reason why it wouldn't work. Just put '\' before the space or apostrophe :angel:

I would highly recommend the SATA dvd drive. Another person posted in my thread who had an IDE drive, and he fixed his problem by getting a SATA one. And I don't think the actual retail dvd would work anyways. Not without being patched....

I am sorry for any confusion that i may have cause.

but I could have sworn I saw it in the "KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD release (the official), KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD release" topic

someone saying "kalyway can't handle disk volume names with spaces"

i can't seems to find it anymore, but if you do a google search, there are still in the cache though...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=k...G=Google+Search

I am sorry for any confusion that i may have cause.

but I could have sworn I saw it in the "KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD release (the official), KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD release" topic

someone saying "kalyway can't handle disk volume names with spaces"

i can't seems to find it anymore, but if you do a google search, there are still in the cache though...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=k...G=Google+Search

oh well I didn't use kalyway I used brazilmac.

still, while it seems like it should be able to, you seem to be right.

FIX FOR HAVING TO USE INSTALL DVD TO BOOT FROM HARD DRIVE:

after scouring the internet I found the answer: kalyway can't handle disk volume names with spaces. I kept using "Mac OS X" and that was messing it up. I reinstalled and used MacOSX and it was PERFECT. this really needs to get put in the original post or something.

also I didn't read the instructions my first couple times installing from kalyway:

boot from the kalyway dvd, then go to utilities, disk, partition tab, set the size and click OPTIONS, make sure you do it before applying the new partition. this is where you get to choose between MBR or GUID partition scheme. then apply. then exit and continue with install. later there will be a customize, go back or continue page. choose customize, then choose both vanilla kernel options, and then at the bottom you choose either efi_guid or efi_mbr depending on what kind of partition you created with the disk utility earlier. easybcd seems to handle mbr but not guid so I'd just choose mbr. I also found a neosmart forum post saying that some osx86 install discs didn't write the bootloader to the boot sector, only the mbr. which causes a chain error when trying to boot osx from the vista boot loader. I haven't been able to verify that yet since I installed os x with guid. good luck with your installs!

edit: MBR makes easybcd work. I reinstalled using mbr instead of guid and then went into vista by changing my hard disk boot priority. then I used easybcd to add the mac entry to the boot loader w generic x86 as the comp type, it was like a 2 click process. I rebooted and mac os x appeared in my boot loader menu and it successfully booted to mac os x. amazingly easy.

Found it,

Haven't try it my self so i have no idea...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=582168

A good side note :)

Just thought i would report my progress

I am currently writing this on my new hack.

Installation was smooth but still alot of things to patch.

sound, vga card, maybe i got my usb wrong or something cause usb2 not working.

will report soon upon fix.

Edit 2/2/08:

USB still not working? Try changing port in motherboard still no luck. Maybe it's the case's USB?

All seems to works fine now.

Settings in BIOS:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=83141&hl=

Thanks dublove.

Kext:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77165

Thanks ls8

VGA Kext:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83931

Thanks johnniecarcinogen

Thanks to the hard working pioneers above for they have contribute so much.

I also got my hack working, I ended up doing a Kalyway installation and the reason why it didn't work before was because winrar doesn't unrar it right.

Everything worked out of the box except I needed graphics card and audio drivers. Shutdown has some issues, it shuts down the OS, but not the PC all the way.. fans still going, LED lights are on.. all I have to do is press the power button from there so it isn't too big of an issue. Have yet to try sleep and firewire though.

I can even view my second internal (windows) hard drive and transfer files from it. (just can't transfer files TO it from the mac, says it's read only) as well as my D-link bluetooth dongle and xbox 360 wireless controller :P

post-171345-1202114964_thumb.jpg

P.S. download quicksilver its so useful!

I am not sure if this matters to you anymore since you already bought your parts.

But, P35-DS4 Rev. 2.1 and EP35-DS4 are exactly the same board. They added DES feature to the existing P35 version in Rev. 2.1, then decided to market it as a EP35. Just a naming convention for product separation.

Since you already have the EP35, you should be happy, although DES is useless for Hackintosh system. You will have to install DES utility for Windows to take advantage of the new power saving feature.

If you get a chance, you should try the Install pack written by ls8. It should work flawlessly for your DS4 board.

Good luck.

I also got my hack working, I ended up doing a Kalyway installation and the reason why it didn't work before was because winrar doesn't unrar it right.

Everything worked out of the box except I needed graphics card and audio drivers. Shutdown has some issues, it shuts down the OS, but not the PC all the way.. fans still going, LED lights are on.. all I have to do is press the power button from there so it isn't too big of an issue. Have yet to try sleep and firewire though.

I can even view my second internal (windows) hard drive and transfer files from it. (just can't transfer files TO it from the mac, says it's read only) as well as my D-link bluetooth dongle and xbox 360 wireless controller :)

post-171345-1202114964_thumb.jpg

P.S. download quicksilver its so useful!

Good to hear that! Mine too all work except for shutdown and sleep too, i found that i after i have install the vga kext, it stop shutting down and such. Firewire works for me, burning cds, dvds, all works. Just problem with moving large file from disk to disk that's more than 4g... get error -50, and error -0... hmm

I just found out that i have got a faulty stacker front usb, got a parts replacement confirm mail from CM :hysterical:

Now my next task is to find a good remote to make front row works and a mac compatible kickass JIS keyboard.

I am not sure if this matters to you anymore since you already bought your parts.

But, P35-DS4 Rev. 2.1 and EP35-DS4 are exactly the same board. They added DES feature to the existing P35 version in Rev. 2.1, then decided to market it as a EP35. Just a naming convention for product separation.

Since you already have the EP35, you should be happy, although DES is useless for Hackintosh system. You will have to install DES utility for Windows to take advantage of the new power saving feature.

If you get a chance, you should try the Install pack written by ls8. It should work flawlessly for your DS4 board.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it the feedback.

ls8 rocks! just hoping the new kext pack will work with my vga flawlessly...

or just hope 10.5.2 will fix all the problem, but i have no complain as it is running :hysterical:

Hey Kunijp I found the perfect front row remote, I've been using it all day, all you need is bluetooth :D

It's a wiimote! It works perfectly with Kalyway and you can even use it as a wireless mouse for the whole operating system! I've also tried using it with games and it works okay, but some bugs need to be weaved out first.

I'm going to make a youtube video on it soon.

P.S. for bluetooth I'm using a $20 D-link bluetooth USB dongle which is PC and Mac compatible.

P.S.S. Are your WD5000AACS hard drives loud? Mine are REALLY loud, and annoying. They are even louder than my 5 year old Dell's western digital hard drives... I bought mine open box so I'm wondering if that is the reason why, or are they all made that way?

Hey Kunijp I found the perfect front row remote, I've been using it all day, all you need is bluetooth :unsure:

It's a wiimote! It works perfectly with Kalyway and you can even use it as a wireless mouse for the whole operating system! I've also tried using it with games and it works okay, but some bugs need to be weaved out first.

I'm going to make a youtube video on it soon.

P.S. for bluetooth I'm using a $20 D-link bluetooth USB dongle which is PC and Mac compatible.

P.S.S. Are your WD5000AACS hard drives loud? Mine are REALLY loud, and annoying. They are even louder than my 5 year old Dell's western digital hard drives... I bought mine open box so I'm wondering if that is the reason why, or are they all made that way?

Hey ^^/

My WD5000AACS is quite quiet i think... but then i have an aquarium in the room so i don't know, anyways i got 2 of the same drive (bulk) and i haven't realise any noise.

Ohh! i was about to get Manta TR1 with the apple remote but was looking for something internal now yours sounds like a good idea!

Anyway i am going to reinstall my hack again closer to ls8's hack...

got stuck on the first step... never good with terminal... shell gave me error file not found...

i might be doing something wrong...

• 4 weeks later...

For the first time, all my problem fixed!

Just want to say thanks to all the pioneers who contribute to this community.

Feels like hitting a home run in a long time. ;)