Leopard on P5E-WS Pro

L EphIno

72 posts in this topic

I have the same board and installed Kalyway 10.5.1 The only thing i cant get to work is connecting to the internet. How can i correct this?Got it to work. The MOBO has two internet jacks and just plugged the cat cable into the one by the coxial out put

L EphIno, have you tried getting the Marvell SATAs to work? I guess 6 of the 8 (the blue colored one) ports work, do you happen to know what are the 2-eSATA ports designated to (Marvell, or ICH9R) in the back panel?

I haven't tried the esata yet, but I'm sure they are on the same controller as 2 of the internals

I haven't tried the esata yet, but I'm sure they are on the same controller as 2 of the internals

Yes...I'm pretty sure about that as well:

Marvell 88SE61xx PATA/eSATA

PATA and Ext SATA controller

2 xExternal SATA 150/300 (RAID 0,1,10,5)

2 xSATA 150/300 (RAID 0,1,10,5)

1 x ATA

Basically means that the PATA, the 2-internal black SATA ports, as well as the 2 eSATA ports are all a part of the Marvell 88SE61xx controller.

15. Now on to drivers.

First pop into system prefs, network, and you'll see you'll only have one ethernet port setup, simply click the "+" below the adapters, it will bring up a list of adapters, click the pull down menu, choose the first ethernet, hit ok followed by apply, and magically your secondary eithernet and firewire ports will now show up and be functioning.

For the HD3870 I used the drivers suggested by netkas' (http://netkas.org/?p=48) and then used HDA_ICH9_ALC888 ktext package for my audio.

Fix HD Logo's to internal harddrives: Fix Logos

****To get your ide drives to function on the Marvell 88SE6145 controller use this ktext http://my.ukrweb.info/marvell-and-others-ata-kext-leopard --- (Update, I believe this kext can cause kernal panics, install at your own risk)

Hey L EphIno,

Regarding the HDA_ICH9_ALC888 audio kext, is your microphone input functional? I'm having some trouble figuring this out (sorry, I'm a mac noob). Also, after I downloaded 10.5.2 update + graphics + Natit, the video works great. Occasionally, my video defaults to 1024x768 when I do a cold start. After detecting the display, video returns to normal. Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

BTW, thank you for that wonderful installation guide. It was almost painless, just a few more annoying quirks on my rig. Otherwise, my machine is more than functional.

Regarding the HDA_ICH9_ALC888 audio kext, is your microphone input functional? I'm having some trouble figuring this out (sorry, I'm a mac noob). Also, after I downloaded 10.5.2 update + graphics + Natit, the video works great. Occasionally, my video defaults to 1024x768 when I do a cold start. After detecting the display, video returns to normal. Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Yes, it is (at least in my case).

Question: has anyone sorted out how to enable the front HD Audio Panel, and if it's possible. It would be comfortable to use front out and mic ports for my headset.

I did geekbench (x86) test and I've got 7001 points max. Also I did maya test from zoorender.com on vista64 ultimate sp1 and on osx, i thought it would be vice-versa, but vista did the job in 52 sec and osx in 1min 1 sec three times in a row

I did geekbench (x86) test and I've got 7001 points max. Also I did maya test from zoorender.com on vista64 ultimate sp1 and on osx, i thought it would be vice-versa, but vista did the job in 52 sec and osx in 1min 1 sec three times in a row

7001 on geekbench...not bad compared to the 7800 score for Mac Pro (early 2008)

whats your specs? overclocked cpu? if so, cooling? graphics? [a sig would be nice ;)]

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to revive this discussion as new hack is running this board. Front panel audio does work using the applehda patcher version2.0 and the alc888.text file, and toslink in and out are detected as well, though I haven't tested them. I believe everything in my system is working 100% except for sleep (never wakes), and shutdown/restart hang on pcefi 8 and vanilla kernel 10.5.2.

Does anyone else have the sleep/shutdown/restart issues, and if not, what kernel are you running? I am also using the mac.nub default applesmbios and my memory speed is wrong, and cpu type reported as unknown 3.6.

My specs:

asus p5e ws pro

q6600 @ 3.6

8gigs gskill 1066

msi 512mb 8800gt

wd 750gig sata

lite-on sata dvdrw

TI pci-e FW800

thermaltake 850W PSU

modified powermac G5 case with all ports wired and working.

I do love this board already, but I'd like to work out the sleep/shutdown issues with the help of the other owners of this board.

My xbench score at 3.6ghz is 230. Are the rest of you p5e ws owners in this range?

-nc

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Insaners,

I have found this link: http://www.linux-tested.com/results/asus_p5e_ws_pro.html

At the end of page they wrote:

Notes and Observations:

1. When Mandrake 2007 is installed, only eth0 could be used

2. Before installing Fedora Core6 , the BIOS SATA Configure must be RAID

3. Audio driver was not detected, and audio is not supported.

Mac OS X is somehow like Linux and maybe that is the problem with the sounddriver issues here.

I ordered my P5E-WS Pro board today, because after 4years my G5 went in to the walhalla of computers. For a ressurection, APPLE wanted 850euros from me. So its still dead .... rofl

From my experience I can tell you, my G5 2x2ghz had a Xbench score of 102. My Macbook 2x2ghz dualcore maked a score of 120 (if you dont compare the graphics results, just cpu).

I am very excited to found this forum, because i wanted to use FCP Studio on a PC, but i think that this is still a dream.

For me FCP Studio would be the only reason to buy a APPLE product again.

That said, I will watch this thread carefully.

Greetz u-man

• 2 months later...
I'd like to revive this discussion as new hack is running this board. Front panel audio does work using the applehda patcher version2.0 and the alc888.text file, and toslink in and out are detected as well, though I haven't tested them. I believe everything in my system is working 100% except for sleep (never wakes), and shutdown/restart hang on pcefi 8 and vanilla kernel 10.5.2.

Does anyone else have the sleep/shutdown/restart issues, and if not, what kernel are you running? I am also using the mac.nub default applesmbios and my memory speed is wrong, and cpu type reported as unknown 3.6.

My specs:

asus p5e ws pro

q6600 @ 3.6

8gigs gskill 1066

msi 512mb 8800gt

wd 750gig sata

lite-on sata dvdrw

TI pci-e FW800

thermaltake 850W PSU

modified powermac G5 case with all ports wired and working.

I do love this board already, but I'd like to work out the sleep/shutdown issues with the help of the other owners of this board.

My xbench score at 3.6ghz is 230. Are the rest of you p5e ws owners in this range?

-nc

Hello,

I have the specs as you do but I'm getting the same shutdown issue as you, my cpu fan and case fan keep running. Did you solve this issue.

Many thanks,

Miro

Hello again,

here are my experiences with the P5E WS Pro. Everything worked out of the box, except audio and I used a external usb-dvd-drive with the Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel_AMD Image. Then I used the Kalyway 10.5.3 Updatecombo and after this the Apple Softwareupdate to 10.5.4. Applying the applehda patcher with the ip35pro.codec.dump.txt and got 2.0 sound working. After the 10.5.4 update my Graphicscard was recognized correctly, with 768MB Ram, CI/QE enabled and such.

What is not working:

1.) Marvell® 88SE6145 SATA controller.

2.) NEC Corp. uPD720400 PCI-X Controller. So sad, I want this thing working so badly, because I have a Highpoint RocketRaid 2224 Raid Controller which works in a "real mac" (or windows PC, works great under Vista) with PCI-X Slots. Any help, link or hint with this, would be much appreciated.

Beside of this, everything is working fine

My important Specs are:

P5E WS Pro with Q9450@2,66Ghz and 4x2GB G.Skill RAM

Asus NVIDIA 8800GTX 768MB RAM

Greetz U-MAN

• 2 weeks later...
Hello again,

here are my experiences with the P5E WS Pro. Everything worked out of the box, except audio and I used a external usb-dvd-drive with the Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel_AMD Image. Then I used the Kalyway 10.5.3 Updatecombo and after this the Apple Softwareupdate to 10.5.4. Applying the applehda patcher with the ip35pro.codec.dump.txt and got 2.0 sound working. After the 10.5.4 update my Graphicscard was recognized correctly, with 768MB Ram, CI/QE enabled and such.

What is not working:

1.) Marvell® 88SE6145 SATA controller.

2.) NEC Corp. uPD720400 PCI-X Controller. So sad, I want this thing working so badly, because I have a Highpoint RocketRaid 2224 Raid Controller which works in a "real mac" (or windows PC, works great under Vista) with PCI-X Slots. Any help, link or hint with this, would be much appreciated.

Beside of this, everything is working fine

My important Specs are:

P5E WS Pro with Q9450@2,66Ghz and 4x2GB G.Skill RAM

Greetz U-MAN

Uman,

I have the same Motherboard, but I have shutdown problems. The computer shuts down but the CPU and case fans keep running.

Any help would be great!

Miro

Hello Miro,

Sad but true, I have the same problems with shutdown AND wakeup. The wakeup issues are only, if the PC goes in sleep-modus. If you set your HDs to "always on", I can wakeup without any problems, otherwise I got a black screen and can never turn it on again, only hardreset will help. So sorry, got no clue how to get rid of this. Any help would be great.

P5E WS Pro with OC Q9450@3,6Ghz and 4x2GB G.Skill RAM

Geekbench (64-bit): 8323 Points

Hello Miro,

Sad but true, I have the same problems with shutdown AND wakeup. The wakeup issues are only, if the PC goes in sleep-modus. If you set your HDs to "always on", I can wakeup without any problems, otherwise I got a black screen and can never turn it on again, only hardreset will help. So sorry, got no clue how to get rid of this. Any help would be great.

P5E WS Pro with OC Q9450@3,6Ghz and 4x2GB G.Skill RAM

Geekbench (64-bit): 8323 Points

Thanks for your response u-man,

Yeah, it's tough to find a solution, will keep looking and will inform you if I find a fix.

Thanks again,

Miro

Uman,

I have the same Motherboard, but I have shutdown problems. The computer shuts down but the CPU and case fans keep running.

Have you tried installing "PowerOff bug fix" using Weaksauce's guide?

If you are running 10.5.4 start at the section "4. Install the Apple 10.5.4 Delta Update:" of Weaksauce's guide.

Hey Guys, just letting everyone know I have successfully installed leopard on an Asus p5e-ws Professional motherboard. Below is a list of how I did it, no compaints about it being ugly, I'm tired and might clean it up later!

As a preface, I rewrote this walkthrough after some trial and error, hope it helps!

Specs are as follows:

Asus P5E-WS - Pro (X38 Chipset)

Intel Quad Duo 2 q6600

4gb Corsair DDR2

ATI HD3870

4 Seagate Sata drives (Drive 3 being the OSX Drive)

1 Sata DVD Writer

Requirements

Kalyway and a bootloader, you can get the bootloader do a web search for PC_EFI v8

An ipod/usbdrive

****As a note I use full hd's for my dual booting, not partitions, if you wish to use partitions, you will have to find another guide****

Steps:

1. Open up your bios and set your SATA mode to AHCI

2. Insert your Kalyway disk and hit F8 on boot to select the dvd to boot from.

3. This will take some time but after kalyway loads (about 5 min) hit the next button

4. After you have clicked the next button you should be at the Kalyway Welcome screen, go up to Utilities, and choose Disk Utility

5. Choose the HD you wish to install Kalyway on, then click Partition, on the Volume Scheme pulldown choose "1 Partition", type in a name for the parition, then down at the bottem choose options and select GUID Partition Table. Under the format take note, I now recomend you use Mac OS Extended (Journaled) not Case sensitive Journaled. I was so happy to find out that once I tried to install my Licensed copy of Adobe Production Collection, that case sensitive os's are not supported by adobe. Is it really that freaking hard to label a file with a capital letter when you are programing?!? So needless to say, adobe has now forced my hand in reinstalling... Again... Anyways, hit apply and it should format the partition and set it as GUID

7. Quit Disk Utility and open Terminal

8. Time to install the bootloader. On another computer copy the pc_efi_v8 bootloader to a thumb/ipod drive and insert connect to our kalyway machine.

9. The next step is to set our partition as active for our GUID Drive. Run the following commands in terminal. And please pay close attention to your Drive and Partition setup:

diskutil list

--- This will list your partition information for all drives, look for which partition has the name that you specified in the disk utility earlier , My case my disk is 0 and my partition is 2, so X=0 Y=2---

--- Unmount all partitions listed on that drive, my case, I have the disk and 2 partitions (note once again diskX would be replaced with disk0 in my case---

diskutil unmount diskX

diskutil unmount diskXs1

diskutil unmount diskXs2

--- Now start set the partition active ---

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX ***X=0 in my case and please note the "rdisk" instead of "disk"***

update

f Y ***Y=2 in my case***

w

q

--- now do the unmount steps again ---

diskutil unmount diskX

diskutil unmount diskXs1

diskutil unmount diskXs2

--- Install the bootloader ---

cd /Volumes/{name of ipod or thumb drive}/pc_efi_v80

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8 ***once again, the command I used was ./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s2 ./boot_v8***

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1 ***if you haven't figuared it out yet, I used rdisk0s2***

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1 ***Please note this time it is just plain diskX not rdiskX***

10. Optional: Restart to see if your bootloader installed correctly, hit f8 during boot, select your kalyway HD and you should get something pop up saying can't find com.apple.boot.plist, or a variation there of. This means your bootloader installed correctly, go ahead and restart, and boot back into the kalyway install dvd.

11. Exit out of terminal back to the welcome screen

12. Time to install, click cont. on the welcome screen, agree to the terms of use, choose your kalyway partition to install to and click next, CLICK CUSTOMISE, checkmark the Vanilla_Kernel ACPIPlatform, Thats the only one for my install, you might want to look and see if you need any of the video card drivers, MAKE SURE TO UNCHECK Bootloaders EFI!!!!! Click install, wait 20 min and come back!

13. Restart and you should have a great working version of kalyway.

14. So, an almost great working version of kalyway, on restart you'll get an AppleLPC.kext was installed improperly, simply use the kext installer that comes with kalyway and install the version of the kext from the cd, found at /Volumes/Leopard_Install_Osx86/System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext

15. Now on to drivers.

First pop into system prefs, network, and you'll see you'll only have one ethernet port setup, simply click the "+" below the adapters, it will bring up a list of adapters, click the pull down menu, choose the first ethernet, hit ok followed by apply, and magically your secondary eithernet and firewire ports will now show up and be functioning.

For the HD3870 I used the drivers suggested by netkas' (http://netkas.org/?p=48) and then used HDA_ICH9_ALC888 ktext package for my audio.

Fix HD Logo's to internal harddrives: Fix Logos

****To get your ide drives to function on the Marvell 88SE6145 controller use this ktext http://my.ukrweb.info/marvell-and-others-ata-kext-leopard --- (Update, I believe this kext can cause kernal panics, install at your own risk)

Hello,

I've found that some fellow P5E WS Pro owners like u-man, have a shutdown problem, the computer shuts down but the CPU and case fan keep running. I know you have said that you are not experiencing this problem, can you let us know what you did to avoid this problem?

My specs:

Asus P5E WS Pro motherboard

XFX 8800 GT, 512 megs

Thanks for any help,

Miro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a question.

Have you manage to use a partition on a Marvell raid drives?

I've install Leo4All v3 on P5e-WS pro, Q9540 CPU, HD 3650 dual monitors.

All works well but I don't manage to use - or see - my raid0 partitions...

Can somebody help me?

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I got 1 problem, cant start audio, and cant halt.

Try to install all i find ALC888 kexts, nothing...

can someone tell by steps what i need to do to start sound and halt?

Hi,

Have you already tried Desktop ALC883 CAD0 5.1 in '[HOW TO] Patch AppleHDA - Knowledge Base'? My Hacintosh (with P5E WS Pro) is playing sound with it. And try to install OpenHaltRestart.kext against your halt issue.