Leopard on P5E-WS Pro

L EphIno

72 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, just letting everyone know I have successfully installed leopard on an Asus p5e-ws Professional motherboard. Below is a list of how I did it, no compaints about it being ugly, I'm tired and might clean it up later!

As a preface, I rewrote this walkthrough after some trial and error, hope it helps!

Specs are as follows:

Asus P5E-WS - Pro (X38 Chipset)

Intel Quad Duo 2 q6600

4gb Corsair DDR2

ATI HD3870

4 Seagate Sata drives (Drive 3 being the OSX Drive)

1 Sata DVD Writer

Requirements

Kalyway and a bootloader, you can get the bootloader do a web search for PC_EFI v8

An ipod/usbdrive

****As a note I use full hd's for my dual booting, not partitions, if you wish to use partitions, you will have to find another guide****

Steps:

1. Open up your bios and set your SATA mode to AHCI

2. Insert your Kalyway disk and hit F8 on boot to select the dvd to boot from.

3. This will take some time but after kalyway loads (about 5 min) hit the next button

4. After you have clicked the next button you should be at the Kalyway Welcome screen, go up to Utilities, and choose Disk Utility

5. Choose the HD you wish to install Kalyway on, then click Partition, on the Volume Scheme pulldown choose "1 Partition", type in a name for the parition, then down at the bottem choose options and select GUID Partition Table. Under the format take note, I now recomend you use Mac OS Extended (Journaled) not Case sensitive Journaled. I was so happy to find out that once I tried to install my Licensed copy of Adobe Production Collection, that case sensitive os's are not supported by adobe. Is it really that freaking hard to label a file with a capital letter when you are programing?!? So needless to say, adobe has now forced my hand in reinstalling... Again... Anyways, hit apply and it should format the partition and set it as GUID

7. Quit Disk Utility and open Terminal

8. Time to install the bootloader. On another computer copy the pc_efi_v8 bootloader to a thumb/ipod drive and insert connect to our kalyway machine.

9. The next step is to set our partition as active for our GUID Drive. Run the following commands in terminal. And please pay close attention to your Drive and Partition setup:

diskutil list

--- This will list your partition information for all drives, look for which partition has the name that you specified in the disk utility earlier , My case my disk is 0 and my partition is 2, so X=0 Y=2---

--- Unmount all partitions listed on that drive, my case, I have the disk and 2 partitions (note once again diskX would be replaced with disk0 in my case---

diskutil unmount diskX

diskutil unmount diskXs1

diskutil unmount diskXs2

--- Now start set the partition active ---

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX ***X=0 in my case and please note the "rdisk" instead of "disk"***

update

f Y ***Y=2 in my case***

w

q

--- now do the unmount steps again ---

diskutil unmount diskX

diskutil unmount diskXs1

diskutil unmount diskXs2

--- Install the bootloader ---

cd /Volumes/{name of ipod or thumb drive}/pc_efi_v80

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8 ***once again, the command I used was ./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s2 ./boot_v8***

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1 ***if you haven't figuared it out yet, I used rdisk0s2***

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1 ***Please note this time it is just plain diskX not rdiskX***

10. Optional: Restart to see if your bootloader installed correctly, hit f8 during boot, select your kalyway HD and you should get something pop up saying can't find com.apple.boot.plist, or a variation there of. This means your bootloader installed correctly, go ahead and restart, and boot back into the kalyway install dvd.

11. Exit out of terminal back to the welcome screen

12. Time to install, click cont. on the welcome screen, agree to the terms of use, choose your kalyway partition to install to and click next, CLICK CUSTOMISE, checkmark the Vanilla_Kernel ACPIPlatform, Thats the only one for my install, you might want to look and see if you need any of the video card drivers, MAKE SURE TO UNCHECK Bootloaders EFI!!!!! Click install, wait 20 min and come back!

13. Restart and you should have a great working version of kalyway.

14. So, an almost great working version of kalyway, on restart you'll get an AppleLPC.kext was installed improperly, simply use the kext installer that comes with kalyway and install the version of the kext from the cd, found at /Volumes/Leopard_Install_Osx86/System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext

15. Now on to drivers.

First pop into system prefs, network, and you'll see you'll only have one ethernet port setup, simply click the "+" below the adapters, it will bring up a list of adapters, click the pull down menu, choose the first ethernet, hit ok followed by apply, and magically your secondary eithernet and firewire ports will now show up and be functioning.

For the HD3870 I used the drivers suggested by netkas' (http://netkas.org/?p=48) and then used HDA_ICH9_ALC888 ktext package for my audio.

Fix HD Logo's to internal harddrives: Fix Logos

****To get your ide drives to function on the Marvell 88SE6145 controller use this ktext http://my.ukrweb.info/marvell-and-others-ata-kext-leopard --- (Update, I believe this kext can cause kernal panics, install at your own risk)

As a Side note, seems I get a kernal panic when I do any mass copying of files, I'll have to research the ktext kalyway uses for the Marvell 88E8056 and see what work arounds I can find. Will post an update when I find out more. But for normal web surfing, seems to be fine, post back more when I dig through some log files.

****seems to be related more to the way the sata driver is functioning. Not sure if this is related to the drives being in IDE enhanced or not, if anyone else is experiencing this problem please let me know!

Found out the issue, seems it's related to the ENHANCED IDE setting. Apparently the drivers can't deal with a lot of fast writes, over writing the buffer and crashing os x. Changing my bios to AHCI fixed the issue, looks like I'll be reinstalling vista since microsoft still hasn't figured out a good way of doing hardware changes and updates!

I don't think you'll have to re-install Vista.

Try this: http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?p=288

You'll need to change the BIOS back to normal mode, boot into Vista and make the registry

change, then reboot and go back into BIOS and re-enable AHCI. Hopefully Vista will now start.

I did exactly this on my board, but that was for 32-bit Vista, hopefully it also works for 64-bit.

Good luck,

gambcl

I don't think you'll have to re-install Vista.

Try this: http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?p=288

You'll need to change the BIOS back to normal mode, boot into Vista and make the registry

change, then reboot and go back into BIOS and re-enable AHCI. Hopefully Vista will now start.

I did exactly this on my board, but that was for 32-bit Vista, hopefully it also works for 64-bit.

Good luck,

gambcl

Thanks gambcl, this did the trick for x64, saved me a reinstall ;)

i have been running leo on a p5e ws pro i think this mobo rocks (i get it installed using just kalyway dvd) just a small score on xbench around 190... i saw other intel chipset can obtain moreee

mmm

maybe something new on 10.5.2?

anymore feedback from you X38 guys? I am going to buy a mobo this week and am on the fence between the X38 or going with the P35 based stuff... There are some nice P35 boards still that support the 45NM CPUs

Still searching for the perrrfect board!

Thanks

Thats weird, I have almost the same system as L EphIno has.

Same mobo, cpu, video, RAM, but only two sata hd: one 500gb and another one 200gb, tryed with kalyway and iatkos, but no luck, it just stucks on that all the time

dsf2825ic4.gif

I only had that problem on iaktos because it didn't have the sata drivers. What version of kalyway?

So I just reinstalled kalyway, used the efi v8 boot loader, and everything seems to be fine. I have yet to install the pata ktext, but I feel that may have been the cause of all my trouble to start with. I will report back after I run some more tests.

i have been running leo on a p5e ws pro i think this mobo rocks (i get it installed using just kalyway dvd) just a small score on xbench around 190... i saw other intel chipset can obtain moreee

mmm

maybe something new on 10.5.2?

190? Isn't that score a bit low for Q6600 with 4gb ram? I have a pretty similar setup as you, except I have an 8800GT < which i'll probably not atempt until 10.5.2 officially releases.

Since you used kalyway, any reported Errors so far?

What did you do for the AUDIO and GIGABIT? Did you obtain sata drivers/storage controllers all through Kalyway? It looks like OP used iATKOS for those specifically.

anymore feedback from you X38 guys? I am going to buy a mobo this week and am on the fence between the X38 or going with the P35 based stuff... There are some nice P35 boards still that support the 45NM CPUs

Still searching for the perrrfect board!

Thanks

Quite a few stated success with x38 I believe: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=61526

AS for price concerns...the x38 boards I was interested in we're about $20 more than the P35 board I orginally bought. Now I need to get rid of it... :\

My personal experience, I had a P35 board, but realized the components and hardware of for example, the storage controllers, gigabit, we're almost identical, so I went with x38, it's a bit more futureproof, plus my personal benefit, an additional PCIe x16 slot for more x8 Storage Adapter. (the P35s had (1) x16 and (1) x4 instead) < some things you could possibly consider...

So I just reinstalled kalyway, used the efi v8 boot loader, and everything seems to be fine. I have yet to install the pata ktext, but I feel that may have been the cause of all my trouble to start with. I will report back after I run some more tests.

I look forward to seeing your test results! Thanks for sharing with the community. Considering GeekBenching anytime?

1)The fix you mentioned is only necessary if you have a PATA drive from the IDE/PATA Controller on this board right? Otherwise, if it's all SATA, go with Kalyway, and there's no need for iATKOS, only for the Darwin Bootloading purposes...

2) Where can I find the EFI_V8 Bootloader option? Is it with the Kalyway or iATKOS? or elsewhere? (if it's the DarwinBootloader i'm comprehending from the first post, than it is iATKOS right? If so, i thought i saw the iATKOS bootloader floating around...) More details please

3) Did sleep just work or you had to change some settings via kext editing..

I'm starting to regret my P5E WS Pro purchase a lot less now, thank you for this, I certainly appreciate this hope. I'm also planning to add a wifi option with Apple's Airport Extreme card via Mini-PCI to PCIe x1 adapter, I'll add a guide once that is completely figured out.

Any of you guys plan on using your PCI-X slot for anything? (one of the many attractions of this board)

This thread was a great idea, thanks OP! Let's keep the discussion going :D

190? Isn't that score a bit low for Q6600 with 4gb ram? I have a pretty similar setup as you, except I have an 8800GT < which i'll probably not atempt until 10.5.2 officially releases.

- 190 scores higher then most MacPros

Since you used kalyway, any reported Errors so far?

-Just the kernal panics in my first installs

What did you do for the AUDIO and GIGABIT? Did you obtain sata drivers/storage controllers all through Kalyway? It looks like OP used iATKOS for those specifically.

Quite a few stated success with x38 I believe: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=61526

-Kalyway had everything but audio supported, I had to manual add the 2nd ethernet adapter in the network prefs, but it was supported, if you look at the end of my first post you'll see the kext I used for my audio.

AS for price concerns...the x38 boards I was interested in we're about $20 more than the P35 board I orginally bought. Now I need to get rid of it... :\

My personal experience, I had a P35 board, but realized the components and hardware of for example, the storage controllers, gigabit, we're almost identical, so I went with x38, it's a bit more futureproof, plus my personal benefit, an additional PCIe x16 slot for more x8 Storage Adapter. (the P35s had (1) x16 and (1) x4 instead) < some things you could possibly consider...

I look forward to seeing your test results! Thanks for sharing with the community. Considering GeekBenching anytime?

-Maybe, mostly I'm a 3d animator so my bench times are mostly done in maya

1)The fix you mentioned is only necessary if you have a PATA drive from the IDE/PATA Controller on this board right? Otherwise, if it's all SATA, go with Kalyway, and there's no need for iATKOS, only for the Darwin Bootloading purposes...

-Correct, if you don't need the PATA drives (my case for the second round, even though it'd be nice to have my extra tb of storage) then don't bother with the kext, and honestly, I think it was causing my kernal panics.

2) Where can I find the EFI_V8 Bootloader option? Is it with the Kalyway or iATKOS? or elsewhere? (if it's the DarwinBootloader i'm comprehending from the first post, than it is iATKOS right? If so, i thought i saw the iATKOS bootloader floating around...) More details please

-To install efi 8, do a google for PC_EFI v8 and you'll find the download (I don't know if there are any copyright infringements to post it here). I did not use the iaktos bootloader on my latest install, for that matter I didn't use kalyways either (I think kalyway is v7.4 instead of 8 and I think iaktos is the same). I'll write a new walkthrough for the install after I post this.

3) Did sleep just work or you had to change some settings via kext editing..

-I honestly don't use full sleep, I use display sleep and hd sleep, both worked correctly. (Update: So after testing sleep, no, it doesn't come all the way out of sleep, but I feel it is a video card driver issue based on the crazy lines I get on the screen)

I'm starting to regret my P5E WS Pro purchase a lot less now, thank you for this, I certainly appreciate this hope. I'm also planning to add a wifi option with Apple's Airport Extreme card via Mini-PCI to PCIe x1 adapter, I'll add a guide once that is completely figured out.

Any of you guys plan on using your PCI-X slot for anything? (one of the many attractions of this board)

This thread was a great idea, thanks OP! Let's keep the discussion going :)

-Np, and I check in frequently to see if anyone has any questions. As for the pci-x, haven't touched it, or the mini-pci. Did recognize my bluetooth (belkin) though.

This is great stuff! :P I look foward to the post, and I'm installing mine tonight, I can't wait to report back, and add what I can add, help what I can help. Thanks again :)

My goal, other than making this configuration work, is to have the closest to Native Install ever, so Hopefully I can find success in doing so, and share a guide as well. Would you say your method is pretty native, and close to a Mac Pro?

This is great stuff! :P I look foward to the post, and I'm installing mine tonight, I can't wait to report back, and add what I can add, help what I can help. Thanks again :)

My goal, other than making this configuration work, is to have the closest to Native Install ever, so Hopefully I can find success in doing so, and share a guide as well. Would you say your method is pretty native, and close to a Mac Pro?

I don't think you could get more native. Minus the bootloader, there is no editing of kext's and uses the vanilla kernel. As for close to a mac pro, I think it's as close as I'll ever get, the duo2 is not quite a xeon, so the mac pro shines when raw cpu usage comes into play with that extra 1.5mb of cache per core. I'm hoping 10.5.2 will release a stock driver for my card and at that point, the only modified kext will be sound, which I consider a pretty small modification. But it is faster then my MacBook Pro, and renders faster. So I'd say it's right behind a Mac Pro.

Before you put out you next Guide, just thought I'd share, I thought everything was understandable until it reaches this part, it got extremely confusing, I wonder if others feel similar:

I'm sorry...I guess i'm extremely new to this, I have not realized there were more steps, not as much before. Thanks for your time and helping us out.I certainly agree, and thanks for letting me know. I have a MacBook Pro myself, and I'm hoping this Hack Pro OSx86 hack would ease the CPU and memory of mine, while I render a lot of video as well. It's great to know that this build is faster, I would be worried if it wasn't, so thanks for sharing this info. As for the differences with the Mac Pro, i've finally learned me lesson and realized, you just can't be the performance of the Mac Pro, or build one close to comparable, especially the most recent "early 2008" updates. [/color]

I appreciate the comments, not sure how I should word it to make more clear, maybe you'd have some idea. I state in the first line that I use a full drive, 1 partition, however when you actually create one partition, you'll see in terminal when you get to diskutil list, it creates 2, the logical MacHd and a hidden EFI partition. and yes all of step 9 is in terminal.

I appreciate the comments, not sure how I should word it to make more clear, maybe you'd have some idea. I state in the first line that I use a full drive, 1 partition, however when you actually create one partition, you'll see in terminal when you get to diskutil list, it creates 2, the logical MacHd and a hidden EFI partition. and yes all of step 9 is in terminal.

It is very clear (No worries, your guide is great :() I just got confused when you mentioned multiple (2) partitions knowing the fact that you stated you were only using 1 full drive, 1 partition in the beginning, in the first line, like you've mentioned. But that explanation of how in the terminal it creates 2 partition clarifies my understand, so thanks for pointing that out. Thanks again. How are things going with your board so far?

It is very clear (No worries, your guide is great ;)) I just got confused when you mentioned multiple (2) partitions knowing the fact that you stated you were only using 1 full drive, 1 partition in the beginning, in the first line, like you've mentioned. But that explanation of how in the terminal it creates 2 partition clarifies my understand, so thanks for pointing that out. Thanks again. How are things going with your board so far?

Great! I have no complaints so far, I have yet to look for kext for the pata side of things, but I just don't know if I ever will. I might just get 2 new sata 500 drives and say screw pata all together. I've already got my stuff backed up on my raid array so not that big of deal, just finding the 300.00 to do it :)! Maya is rendering in 8 seconds for some scenes that were taking about 12 in vista x64, so I'm happy with the os change. Stability seems great so far, but that's still in the testing phase!

Great to hear info from a former windows point-of-view. I've always wondered the comparison between the 2.

Any links where you got the AUDIO and NETWORK drivers to work? I found this, not sure if you used this one: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry245032

Also, which BIOS are you running? http://support.asus.com/download/download....%20Professional

EDIT: The only thing that's keeping me from installing this is, the case doesn't seem to fit the p5e ws pro too well with the huge heatsinks:

img3027ri8.jpg

Network is fully supported in kalyway outta the box, you won't need another kext. As for audio, I updated my post with the link up top, along with the only other kexts I've installed so far. As for bios, I'm currently on 0202, I haven't found a need yet to update the to 0404 and have no damn clue what the 05 series has to offer.

Network is fully supported in kalyway outta the box, you won't need another kext. As for audio, I updated my post with the link up top, along with the only other kexts I've installed so far. As for bios, I'm currently on 0202, I haven't found a need yet to update the to 0404 and have no damn clue what the 05 series has to offer.

Thanks ;) I plan to use all SATA contollers (all 10), So i'll report back the results for those interested. I won't RAID however, that will be done on my SAS Controller.

Geekbench score?

Has Anyone successfully updated to 1.5.2?

Did you follow the Netkas guide?

I'm so willing to patch but a bit worried :unsure:

Thanks

EDIT:

Ok I decided to have a go myself. Everithing went smooth and flawless reading and following Devin's Guide:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=618748

Backup your Extensions folder using Terminal:

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions_backup

Then read the guide to update.

Kalyway Distro uses DSMOS.kext.

I didn't copy back anything fron the backup but AppleSMBIOS.kext to correct System Profiler.

I had to hard reset just once after the restart. Then everything was ok.

Here is what I did after the patch installation:

1) installed HDA_ICH9_ALC888 using Kext Helper b7

2) downloaded NVinstallerv.32.pkg

3) opened NVinstaller with Pacifist and installed only NVinject.kext

I have a 8800GT 512MB so I selected "Contents of 512.pkg/System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext"

and "install to Default Location"

This is because the pkg is made using 9C30 beta files, and we just installed the final release, so we need just this kext. The 512 MB version contains an error, so you'd like to edit the info.plist file to correct the exact amount of DRAM:

http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=19#comment-3334

To do this:

- open terminal and write:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext/Contents/Info.plist

- scroll down till you find: <key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

- edit the following line to result:

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
					 <data>
					 AAAAIA==
					 </data>

Done, now I used Disk Utility to repair disk permission, reloaded and everything was ok.

I only had that problem on iaktos because it didn't have the sata drivers. What version of kalyway?

I don't know about version, just downloaded "KALYWAY LEO 10.5.1intel SSE2 SSE3.zip"

I also tryed setting SATA mode to AHCI, but again the same picture as i posted earlier.

Here are my specs:

Asus P5E-WS - Pro (X38 Chipset)

Intel Quad Duo 2 q6600

4gb Corsair DDR2 XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5DHX

Asus ATI EAH3870

4 hard drives:

1. sata Seagate ST3500320AS

2. sata WDC WD2000JS

3. ide WD WD200BB

4. USB ide - Hitachi HDT725050VLAT80

1 ide dvd writer: ASUS DRW-1814BL

And here's picture of what I've got with -v