Leopard on P5E-WS Pro

L EphIno

72 posts in this topic

OK, I have Asus P5E motherboard with X38 and I have installed it with kalyway 10.5.1 without any problems. Just chosed MBR on instalation and thats it. Then I downloaded cracked 10.5.2 update and after that update I have installed new kernel and thats it. I have XFX 8800GT XXX Edition and it works awesome. Got 163 on xbench.

Only problem is that I have AD1988B sound on board what is working too exept microphone in.

Sata is working in any mode AHCI or IDE. I installed OS X with AHCI.

I don't know about version, just downloaded "KALYWAY LEO 10.5.1intel SSE2 SSE3.zip"

I also tryed setting SATA mode to AHCI, but again the same picture as i posted earlier.

Here are my specs:

Asus P5E-WS - Pro (X38 Chipset)

Intel Quad Duo 2 q6600

4gb Corsair DDR2 XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5DHX

Asus ATI EAH3870

4 hard drives:

1. sata Seagate ST3500320AS

2. sata WDC WD2000JS

3. ide WD WD200BB

4. USB ide - Hitachi HDT725050VLAT80

1 ide dvd writer: ASUS DRW-1814BL

And here's picture of what I've got with -v

dsf28402ox9.gif

There is no built in support for the ide channel on the P5E-WS, if you take a look we are all using SATA for our cd drives, and currently it's the only way you can get it installed. Sorry man, wish I could be more of a help on this one :D

Has Anyone successfully updated to 1.5.2?

Did you follow the Netkas guide?

I'm so willing to patch but a bit worried ;)

Thanks...

EDIT:

Thanks for copying + pasting that guide into here, now I don't need to save that thread to refer to. This is even better since it's directed specifically for the P5E WS Pro. Now, if you can (my special request), try a Geekbench score please! :D

Also, on your sig, it says: Working, Vanilla Kernel, GUID

What did you have to do for the Vanilla Kernal part and the GUID? Thanks again for this post :)

OK, I have Asus P5E motherboard with X38 and I have installed it with kalyway 10.5.1 without any problems. Just chosed MBR on instalation and thats it. Then I downloaded cracked 10.5.2 update and after that update I have installed new kernel and thats it. I have XFX 8800GT XXX Edition and it works awesome. Got 163 on xbench.

Only problem is that I have AD1988B sound on board what is working too exept microphone in.

Sata is working in any mode AHCI or IDE. I installed OS X with AHCI.

Also, this seems a bit strange, but I thought the audio in the P5E WS Pro is the ALC888 [High Definition Audio]? < Can someone confirm that?

There is no built in support for the ide channel on the P5E-WS, if you take a look we are all using SATA for our cd drives, and currently it's the only way you can get it installed. Sorry man, wish I could be more of a help on this one :D

So there's one more reason to buy a new dvd rom, this one will go to an old PC which is without any rom.

Thanks for pointing this out!

You can always consider one of these IDE to SATA adapters:

img10534zd5.jpg

http://www.satacables.com/html/sata-acessories.html

http://www.xpcgear.com/ide2sata.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812186007

They're quite an inexpensive solution, but here's my theory, If i'm going to spend a little over half the cost of a new SATA drive, I minus well go for it, less components to worry about as well. But, there's certainly a quick fix to that solution ;)

Also, this seems a bit strange, but I thought the audio in the P5E WS Pro is the ALC888 [High Definition Audio]? < Can someone confirm that?

You can always consider one of these IDE to SATA adapters:

Yes the P5E-WS is ALC888, the other poster is using a plain P5E which uses the pci ex bus for audio

Update to 10.5.2, only kext I added back was AppleSMBios.kext from the efi_v8_pci pack, and as promised, here's my geekbench, not bad to score only few hundred behind/ahead of the older MacPros. Sorry, kinda hard to compete with the new 8 core cpus.... But none the less I'm happy with the results. I'm also very happy the new update now natively supports my video card.... sooo dang nice! Let me know how it goes for everyone else!

Geekbench Score 4846

Version Geekbench 2.0.11

Platform Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Operating System Mac OS X 10.5.2 (Build 9C31)

Processor Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

Model P5E WS Pro

Memory 4.00 GB 800 MHz DDR SDRAM

Integer Score 4484

Blowfish

single-threaded scalar 1997

87.7 MB/sec

Blowfish

multi-threaded scalar 8129

333.1 MB/sec

Text Compress

single-threaded scalar 1900

6.08 MB/sec

Text Compress

multi-threaded scalar 7034

23.1 MB/sec

Text Decompress

single-threaded scalar 1672

6.87 MB/sec

Text Decompress

multi-threaded scalar 6638

26.4 MB/sec

Image Compress

single-threaded scalar 1731

14.3 Mpixels/sec

Image Compress

multi-threaded scalar 6685

56.2 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress

single-threaded scalar 1427

24.0 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress

multi-threaded scalar 5318

86.8 Mpixels/sec

Crafty Chess

single-threaded scalar 2060

1.04 Mnodes/sec

Crafty Chess

multi-threaded scalar 5169

2.51 Mnodes/sec

Lua

single-threaded scalar 2659

1.02 Mnodes/sec

Lua

multi-threaded scalar 10360

3.99 Mnodes/sec

Floating Point Score 7160

Mandelbrot

single-threaded scalar 1798

1.20 Gflops

Mandelbrot

multi-threaded scalar 7263

4.75 Gflops

Dot Product

single-threaded scalar 2863

1.38 Gflops

Dot Product

multi-threaded scalar 9217

4.20 Gflops

Dot Product

single-threaded vector 1986

2.38 Gflops

Dot Product

multi-threaded vector 5921

6.16 Gflops

LU Decomposition

single-threaded scalar 712

633.6 Mflops

LU Decomposition

multi-threaded scalar 2704

2.37 Gflops

Primality Test

single-threaded scalar 3417

510.3 Mflops

Primality Test

multi-threaded scalar 10246

1.90 Gflops

Sharpen Image

single-threaded scalar 4883

11.4 Mpixels/sec

Sharpen Image

multi-threaded scalar 18881

43.5 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image

single-threaded scalar 6265

4.96 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image

multi-threaded scalar 24090

18.9 Mpixels/sec

Memory Score 2704

Read Sequential

single-threaded scalar 3629

4.44 GB/sec

Write Sequential

single-threaded scalar 3363

2.30 GB/sec

Stdlib Allocate

single-threaded scalar 1966

7.34 Mallocs/sec

Stdlib Write

single-threaded scalar 2175

4.50 GB/sec

Stdlib Copy

single-threaded scalar 2387

2.46 GB/sec

Stream Score 2307

Stream Copy

single-threaded scalar 2315

3.17 GB/sec

Stream Copy

single-threaded vector 2519

3.27 GB/sec

Stream Scale

single-threaded scalar 2489

3.23 GB/sec

Stream Scale

single-threaded vector 2438

3.29 GB/sec

Stream Add

single-threaded scalar 1844

2.78 GB/sec

Stream Add

single-threaded vector 2760

3.84 GB/sec

Stream Triad

single-threaded scalar 2029

2.80 GB/sec

Stream Triad

single-threaded vector 2069

3.87 GB/sec

System Information

Platform Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Compiler GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)

Operating System Mac OS X 10.5.2 (Build 9C31)

Model P5E WS Pro

Motherboard P5E WS Pro

Processor Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11

Logical Processors 4

Physical Processors 1

Processor Frequency 2.40 GHz

L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB

L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB

L2 Cache 4.00 MB

L3 Cache 0.00 B

Bus Frequency 1.06 GHz

Memory 4.00 GB

Memory Type 800 MHz DDR SDRAM

SIMD 1

So I finally found the time to put my build together (still not finished yet, i still have that hole on top of my chassis), I got it installed first try along with the two patches, this is working well so far, just a few things are the sleep is not working too well, but just like OP mentioned, must be from the graphics card. Also, this has been a known issue for this ASUS motherboard, but the sound, the ringing noise (just like the sound of something ringing in your ear) can get irritable, I hope it does not affect my hearing, I've read many RMA'd, I don't really want to deal with, hopefully the latest/recent BIOS update will suffice.

Thanks for copying + pasting that guide into here, now I don't need to save that thread to refer to. This is even better since it's directed specifically for the P5E WS Pro. Now, if you can (my special request), try a Geekbench score please! ;)

Here you are:

Platform: Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Compiler: GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (Build 9C31)

Model: P5E WS Pro

Motherboard: P5E WS Pro

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

Processor ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11

Logical Processors: 4

Physical Processors: 1

Processor Frequency: 2.40 GHz

L1 Instruction Cache: 32.0 KB

L1 Data Cache: 32.0 KB

L2 Cache: 4.00 MB

L3 Cache: 0.00 B

Bus Frequency: 1.06 GHz

Memory: 4.00 GB

Memory Type: 800 MHz DDR SDRAM

SIMD: 1

Integer (Score: 4194)

Blowfish single-threaded scalar -- 1996, 1.0, 87.7 MB/sec

Blowfish multi-threaded scalar -- 8006, 3.7, 328.1 MB/sec

Text Compress single-threaded scalar -- 1899, 1.0, 6.08 MB/sec

Text Compress multi-threaded scalar -- 6615, 3.6, 21.7 MB/sec

Text Decompress single-threaded scalar -- 1669, 1.0, 6.86 MB/sec

Text Decompress multi-threaded scalar -- 6358, 3.7, 25.3 MB/sec

Image Compress single-threaded scalar -- 1724, 1.0, 14.2 Mpixels/sec

Image Compress multi-threaded scalar -- 6628, 3.9, 55.8 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress single-threaded scalar -- 1427, 1.0, 24.0 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress multi-threaded scalar -- 5337, 3.6, 87.1 Mpixels/sec

Crafty Chess single-threaded scalar -- 2052, 1.0, 1.04 Mnodes/sec

Crafty Chess multi-threaded scalar -- 5082, 2.4, 2.47 Mnodes/sec

Lua single-threaded scalar -- 2673, 1.0, 1.03 Mnodes/sec

Lua multi-threaded scalar -- 7262, 2.7, 2.79 Mnodes/sec

Floating Point (Score: 6846)

Mandelbrot single-threaded scalar -- 1798, 1.0, 1.20 Gflops

Mandelbrot multi-threaded scalar -- 6831, 3.7, 4.47 Gflops

Dot Product single-threaded scalar -- 2863, 1.0, 1.38 Gflops

Dot Product multi-threaded scalar -- 9073, 3.0, 4.13 Gflops

Dot Product single-threaded vector -- 1964, 1.7, 2.35 Gflops

Dot Product multi-threaded vector -- 6062, 4.6, 6.30 Gflops

LU Decomposition single-threaded scalar -- 695, 1.0, 618.9 Mflops

LU Decomposition multi-threaded scalar -- 2827, 4.0, 2.48 Gflops

Primality Test single-threaded scalar -- 3414, 1.0, 509.9 Mflops

Primality Test multi-threaded scalar -- 9984, 3.6, 1.85 Gflops

Sharpen Image single-threaded scalar -- 4890, 1.0, 11.4 Mpixels/sec

Sharpen Image multi-threaded scalar -- 17319, 3.5, 39.9 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image single-threaded scalar -- 6265, 1.0, 4.96 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image multi-threaded scalar -- 21862, 3.5, 17.2 Mpixels/sec

Memory (Score: 2681)

Read Sequential single-threaded scalar -- 3592, 1.0, 4.40 GB/sec

Write Sequential single-threaded scalar -- 3345, 1.0, 2.29 GB/sec

Stdlib Allocate single-threaded scalar -- 1964, 1.0, 7.33 Mallocs/sec

Stdlib Write single-threaded scalar -- 2157, 1.0, 4.47 GB/sec

Stdlib Copy single-threaded scalar -- 2350, 1.0, 2.42 GB/sec

Stream (Score: 2269)

Stream Copy single-threaded scalar -- 2330, 1.0, 3.19 GB/sec

Stream Copy single-threaded vector -- 2465, 1.0, 3.20 GB/sec

Stream Scale single-threaded scalar -- 2468, 1.0, 3.20 GB/sec

Stream Scale single-threaded vector -- 2432, 1.0, 3.28 GB/sec

Stream Add single-threaded scalar -- 1840, 1.0, 2.78 GB/sec

Stream Add single-threaded vector -- 2642, 1.3, 3.68 GB/sec

Stream Triad single-threaded scalar -- 1993, 1.0, 2.75 GB/sec

Stream Triad single-threaded vector -- 1982, 1.3, 3.71 GB/sec

Also, on your sig, it says: Working, Vanilla Kernel, GUID

What did you have to do for the Vanilla Kernal part and the GUID? Thanks again for this post :)

hit F8 at installation CD bootup and at the prompt type vanilla. That triggers the vanilla Kernel installation.

GUID is the Partition Table used instead of MBR. you can choose it in Disk Utility when partitioning.

Remember to choose correct EFI (MBR or GUID) in the installation menu

Sooooo I gut ballsy, and decided to overclock the q6600, I went up to 3.0 stable, now pulling a 6060 in geekbench. Let me know if anyone else has similar results!

Thanks for sharing your GeekBench results, 6060 is very impressive, did GeekBench identify your computer as a "Mac" or a "hackintosh". I believe, since you have have PC_EFI v8 loaded, GeekBench should be tricked to read your computer as a Mac right? I wonder how much different the scores would be for the 64-bit capable Geekbench...

Maybe I should try overclocking my Q6600, is your 3.0 GHz complied with the Intel stock HSF cooling?

Also, for those PC_EFI v8 bootloader you mentioned, was that purposely so you can boot for your dual-booting purposes? or for having native EFI close to a Mac? I'm very close to my final final installation, I've decided to add PC_EFI v8 to it, just would like to know more about it. Thanks for sharing, and again, this thread is way awesome! ;)

hit F8 at installation CD bootup and at the prompt type vanilla. That triggers the vanilla Kernel installation.

GUID is the Partition Table used instead of MBR. you can choose it in Disk Utility when partitioning.

Remember to choose correct EFI (MBR or GUID) in the installation menu

L EphIno, i noticed you didn't mention typing vanilla when you prompt with F8, is this missing step required/necessary?

Thanks for sharing your GeekBench results, 6060 is very impressive, did GeekBench identify your computer as a "Mac" or a "hackintosh". I believe, since you have have PC_EFI v8 loaded, GeekBench should be tricked to read your computer as a Mac right? I wonder how much different the scores would be for the 64-bit capable Geekbench...

Maybe I should try overclocking my Q6600, is your 3.0 GHz complied with the Intel stock HSF cooling?

Also, for those PC_EFI v8 bootloader you mentioned, was that purposely so you can boot for your dual-booting purposes? or for having native EFI close to a Mac? I'm very close to my final final installation, I've decided to add PC_EFI v8 to it, just would like to know more about it. Thanks for sharing, and again, this thread is way awesome! :)

Thanks, and the q6600 can be overclocked to 3.0 pretty easily with the stock cooler, but I'm using a zalman CPNS9500 for my cooler. I average about 40C idle overclocked and under a full loaded I've never passed 67, even with a small room that's getting up to 80F ambient. I've overclocked up to 3.4 which was completely stable and ran like a champ, but I didn't like the fact I was approaching 75C, just hotter then I like to run. The q6600 can easily take up to 80C without failure, but who wants to push it ;). I ran at 3.2 for a bit but went down because of my ram having an 800mhz bus, I just wanted an even multiplier. As for how geekbench reads the model, it just shows the motherboard name "P5E WS Pro".

I chose PC_EFI v8 for a few reasons, the updated smbios, and for a better efi emulation. I've noticed a lot of great improvements in my tests and have found it to be very stable. I can see a noticeable difference in GUID access times and better support for MBR. All and all I think it's the best release yet!

L EphIno, i noticed you didn't mention typing vanilla when you prompt with F8, is this missing step required/necessary?

Nah, typing vanilla only disables the 64 bit arch. the q6600 fully supports the leopard instructions and I've had no issues with any 64 bit apps. I've noticed on average people score between 200-500 better on the 64 bit geekbench, so I wonder if I could break 7k. But I'm too cheap to pay for a benchmark.

So I finally found the time to put my build together (still not finished yet, i still have that hole on top of my chassis), I got it installed first try along with the two patches, this is working well so far, just a few things are the sleep is not working too well, but just like OP mentioned, must be from the graphics card. Also, this has been a known issue for this ASUS motherboard, but the sound, the ringing noise (just like the sound of something ringing in your ear) can get irritable, I hope it does not affect my hearing, I've read many RMA'd, I don't really want to deal with, hopefully the latest/recent BIOS update will suffice.

The ringing sound that you hear is actually from your power supply, had the same problem and switched to an antec psu

My problem with kalyway leo is after installation when it ask for the activation & keyboard setup my keyboard is not working, so I can't type anything to pass the activation {censored}. I use a ps/2 keyboard

The ringing sound that you hear is actually from your power supply, had the same problem and switched to an antec psu

My problem with kalyway leo is after installation when it ask for the activation & keyboard setup my keyboard is not working, so I can't type anything to pass the activation {censored}. I use a ps/2 keyboard

I've been keeping up with the ASUS support forums, and people have determined its the power supply but it's the motherboard thats it is coming from, obviously the audio card is faulty and ASUS have admit this problem themselves. But others confirmed fine with the PSU i'm using (Corsair 520HX), so I've decided to RMA the motherboard (will swap tomorrow at the store), but it has been really good to me, especially for Leopard. As for your keyboard problem, I have a USB keyboard and it worked fine, i think this is the first issue in this thread about it. Did it work after you installed with PS/2? Thats interesting to hear, since it is usually the other way around.

EDIT: Managed to return my motherboard, got another from another retailer immediately, audio works great, quite nice actually, (especially without the constant tone/ringing, reminiscent of what can be heard in the ear).

I just added my SAS controller, I hope to complete the final build, finally, with a Seagate Cheetah SAS 15.5 as my primary drive as well as RAIDing 4x 250gb drives as secondary.

Do you guys know if there's a way to not show secondary hard drives icons on the desktop?

This is a fantastic board, I recommend to everyone in this community. And also, can't thank OP L EphIno for helping get this far. So thanks again, and thanks for this thread as well.

At last I bought sata dvd. Did all like in the first post. And now I have mac os, but there is still one more problem - need to buy an usb keyboard. Guess ps/2 is not supported. So I stuck at whats-your-name-zip-code-etc thing. But thats only for one day.

So thank You, L EphIno!

Guess there won't be any problems with drivers and such since I have the same configuration as L EphIno, except hard drive is WD - not Seagate. That might be a problem...

for those who have an usb mouse and ps/2 keyboard at install don't select acpi fix for ps/2 this way your ps/2 keyboard will work after install and you can install the acpi fix after :(

what's the audio situation like on this board now? onboard 100% working? or is there some work needed?

just wondering, as i'm about to order parts for this rig, and i'm trying to decide between the regular p5e and the p5e ws pro

Anyone tried getting the Marvell® 88SE6145 SATA controller to work?

I'm going to try this method: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=653591

I'll report back.

*EDIT* Don't do it...Leopard will no longer boot and I'd be stuck at the infamous grey apple logo screen then leading to a cross out sign. I was going to use the original kexts posted by OP, but because of the warning notice of possible kernel panics, I decided to try the more recent approach. Turns out this is way worst, others can try, but you've been warned (of course this may only apply to my system...so who knows) Luckily, I had the conscience prior to restarting, to back up my content. Now it's on to a fresh new install...

Ok, I did update with Kalyway 10.5.2 package and it worked fine. And then I tried to get ci/qe to work, but no luck. At least I can change resolution now. Are Your ci and qe enabled in Your 3870? I tried with triakis.pkg (284kb), 3870.pkg (16.2mb) and Natit.kext (120kb) in different combinations. I did remove kext's cache and rebuild permissions. And yes, I added 3870 id to info.plist. Or should I delete some kexts to try a new attempt, because I did those each after another if there were no ci/qe enabled.

Wow, hard to write!

Wish You will understand what I wrote!

Sorry for "good" English

And thanks in advance!

Ok, I did update with Kalyway 10.5.2 package and it worked fine. And then I tried to get ci/qe to work, but no luck. At least I can change resolution now. Are Your ci and qe enabled in Your 3870? I tried with triakis.pkg (284kb), 3870.pkg (16.2mb) and Natit.kext (120kb) in different combinations. I did remove kext's cache and rebuild permissions. And yes, I added 3870 id to info.plist. Or should I delete some kexts to try a new attempt, because I did those each after another if there were no ci/qe enabled.

Wow, hard to write!

Wish You will understand what I wrote!

Sorry for "good" English

And thanks in advance!

Yes both are enabled