[Guide] OS X iAtkos 1.0i Leopard Install on Dell Vostro 1400, 1500, 1700 / Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720 with GMA X3100

kristoff

206 posts in this topic

Not sure what the problem could be. If all else fails, I would just install OS X - don't partition your drive for Windows at all. You can always resize and partition it later.And, of course, mark the drive as "active" or "bootable" using gparted or similar software. Then you should be good to go.Alternately, you might just have a bad installation dvd - maybe trying downloading / burning again, at 1x speed? Hope that helpsThe torrent that has lots of seeders and is 2 gigs or so - that's the right one. I have not had luck with the r2 release - so beware of that. Hopefully there will be a 10.5.2 release available soon.

r2 Works great here after applying a patch

• 3 weeks later...

Inspiron 1720:

Got almost everything to work with the new iATKOS 2.0i disc, installation went nice (had to reinstall a couple times to ditch the nvidia kext), got sound working the the AppleHDApatcher. Still need to get it to shut down-restart-sleep (not such a big problem), and wait for the wireless driver (intel 3945abg) to come by.

Some "issues" tho, internet navigation is somewhar slow, even unable to find some servers sometimes, even if they respond to pings and curls. I'm not sure if it's a safari issue or if it's the system itself (I want to try firefox, but haven't got mozilla.com to load yet).

The whola affair took me like 4 days of hair-pulling, but now I'm really pleased with my hackintosh.

Kudos to all the osx86 guys out there. Awesome job.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

With the help of this guide I was able to install iATKOS1.0i on my Dell Inspiron 1720. I am pretty happy with it but there are some problems that I have, the main problems that I face that prevents me from moving from windows to Mac are:

- The internet is slow sometimes and there is not internet in other times. I have a broadcom 440x NIC and checked that driver when installing. This is the most irritating problem. :(

- How can I update to the latest version of Mac if I cannot use Software Update?

- I installed the Sleep program on this guide but the pc doesn't go to sleep when closing the lid

- The wireless is not working, it is ok as long as I can use etherent.

Here are my PC specifications:

Dell Inspiron 1720

Core2Duo processor 2.00GHz

4MB L2 cache

2GB DDR2 RAM

120GB HDD

17" wide screen display with Intel GMA X3100 video card

Broadcom 440x NIC

Please help.

Thanks.

I downloaded and installed iATKOS 4.0, I have a problem with screen resolution that seems twice what is should be,why? the screen resolution was ok with v1.0, please help

Dell Inspiron 1720

Core2Duo processor 2.00GHz

4MB L2 cache

2GB DDR2 RAM

120GB HDD

17" wide screen display with Intel GMA X3100 video card

Broadcom 440x NIC

• 2 weeks later...

@Gimmered

i have dell inspiron 1520 with gma x3100, with your posts i got my sleep working, can u help me to get my

touchpad scrolling and tapping working. another thing that the sleep display application set to open at login automatically reverts back and "open at login" tick automatically gets removed, whats the problem behind this

I didn't follow this guide exactly, but I got almost everything on my 1720 to work (all but sound). I'll post a detailed walkthrough of what i did later.

My specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300

2GB DDR2 at 667MHz

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT <-- proper resolution and dual screen support

160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

SigmaTel STAC9205 <-- still doesn't work

Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini-Card

Can anyone confirm that they have sleep, shutdown and sound working specifically the internal mic on the dell vostro 1500. I am not sure which sigmatel I have. I have tried many options for the internal mic but have been unsuccessful.

Thanks

TIP for those people having problems with the 11:20 sleep trick to get out of the black screen, the way i over came it was by using an external monitor switch to it with FN-F8 and unplugging the monitor. If does not work the first time try 2-3 times...

That was the only way i could get my internal monitor to work... at a max Resolution: 1600 x 1000.

I still have not found a way to get my native resolution of 1920x1200. If any one has found a way to get 1920x1200 in internal display with a Intel GMA X3100 please post the solution...

------------------------------------------

Installation iAktos 1.0ir2

Dell 1720 with a Intel GMA X3100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wireless intel 3945abg - just got your self a broadcom one from ebay $9 works fantastic saves me facking around...

Sound fix - Note this will give you sound but you will have shutdown problems, think saw i post that over comes this but have not tried it.

- Get the AppleHDA Patcher v1.20 from here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

- Get the Stac9205.txt Linux Codec dump from here - Attached Below.

- Get the AppleHDA.kext.zip - think I used the original one.

Put these files on your desktop. Once this is done, you want to drag the Stac9205.txt file into AppleHDA Patcher v1.20. You will see some text in the box, and then it will say Done or Complete or something along those lines. Now, before you reboot, take the AppleHDA.kext file you downloaded fromt he last link, and put it in System/Library/Extensions. It will ask you to authenticate with your user password, and overwrite the file, this is fine, do so.

Then go to Applications/Utilities/Disc Utility, select your Leopard install drive, and repair permissions, then reboot. Again I recommend using the -v flag to check for errors, but you shouldn't encounter any.

Once OS X boots again you should not have fully working audio, at least to the extent I have tested it

Stac9205.txt

• 4 weeks later...

Hi installed via your guide thanks. However It comes up with the screen telling to press the power button Any ideas why? I have a Vostro 1400 and it has the Nvidia 8400gs. I am really stuck i have tried many different versions of iAtkos but this is the only 1 that works because it installs a bootloader. i can boot in to the single user session thingy that is a terminal. CAn any one help

Thanks in advance

D.

• 2 weeks later...

hotcorners stopped working, cannot load display (no sleepdisplay app, 11:20 trick wont work) So just blackness.. but I know it enters into leopard.

Pls help! Any suggestions besides a reformat would be a blessing!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

FOR PEOPLE WHO CAN'T RUN GAMES BECAUSE OF SCREEN SLEEP PROBLEM

(!!!THIS APP MUST BE PLACED IN THE APPLICATIONS FOLDER TO WORK!!!) <----------------

This is a solution that I coded for people who when they run games can't see them because the screen goes blank (screen turns off , monitor goes black , etc) aka they have a x3100 graphics chipset and like what I have on my Dell Inspiron 1525.

The application is called GameSleepX, when you run it you have 20 seconds to start your game, then when the game starts you simply press the space bar on you keyboard wallah you screen is back up and ready to play those games. I created this because of a void that existed for our problem so please show you support buy emailing Cerieti@gmail.com to let me know if this has worked for you!

If your an avid game player you might want to add this app to your dock for quick access, now without further ado here is the link to the app ENJOY!

If the added file doesn't work you can download this app at my website address, just be sure to RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE AS

OR YOU MIGHT BE TAKEN TO THE WRONG SITE!

www.cerieti.com/GameSleepX.zip

or

http://rapidshare.com/files/146866104/GameSleepX.zip.html

Atkos - Kalyway sleep/wake cycle resolution black out fix for Dell and any other computers with this problems

-Ariel Ruff

Cerieti ink

(We Do Not Condone Piracy)

GameSleepX.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you all know, this works for the Vostro 1400. Just finished the install after 3 days of working on it. I have a dual boot setup with Windows XP.

Here is how I did it....

Installed XP on a bare drive.

Partitioned the drive to two partitions, one NTFS, one unformatted.

Installed on the new NTFS.

Booted to the iAtkos V1.0i on second partition erased to HTFS+ (per instructions on this thread).

After install, computer booted into Windows still.

Used command line and diskpart utility to set Mac partition to active and Windows partition to inactive.

In Windows, open up command line. Type diskpart - enter.

Type select disk 1 - enter.

Type select partition 1 - enter.

Type inactive.

Type select partition 2 - enter.

Type active - enter.

Exit.

Reboot.

Now you will boot into Darwin.

Chose Mac installation.

Follow instructions to unplug, time for 11:20 min, etc.

Finish installation.

*note* no need to use the sleep widget. just use Expose & Spaces to assign one corner (I used bottom right) to force the computer to sleep. When the computer starts up (black screen) point mouse to that corner and then move towards the middle. This will refresh screen.

Everything should work except for audio (Vostro 1400 used sigmatel 9228)

Delete AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.

Delete AppleHDA.kext.

Replace AppleHDA.kext with attached file.

Repair permissions.

Reboot.

Speakers work.

Wireless works.

Video works.

EVERYTHING WORKS!

Let me know if I missed anything or you have any questions!

-Matt

AppleHDA.kext.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I'll resurrect this thread since it died.

I'm in the process of downloading iAtkos 4.1 and PRAYING that it will work better than Kalaway did. I really, really want OSX on my Vostro 1500 but there has always been wireless or sound issues. Can anybody at least tell me what the best distro to use on the Vostro would be?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have this disc and I have tried this guide as well. When I press F12 on my 1530 and ask to boot from the DVD I get an Apple.Boot.plist/System/Library error and the same thing happens if I do -v. I can not get it to boot from the dvd at all.

Has anyone here tried the iAtkos 5i release yet?

I am having a whole lot of trouble booting from it - I keep getting the "Still waiting for root device" issue after loading the firewire drivers. I tried starting with the rm=drive1s1, rm=drive0s1, and rm=drive0s0, and I always get the same outcome, even if I only have one partition on the HDD.

EDIT: Disabling ACPI to solve that problem. Now I'm waiting the magic 11:20 to see if I can get it booted the rest of the way.

EDIT 2: Upon waiting the 11 minutes, I found the onboard LCD would still not "wake up" and show any video. However, when I switched the output to the VGA connector, I saw a dialog telling me OSX could not find any keyboard. The touchpad didn't work at all, so I plugged in a USB mouse and proceeded through the dialog. I ended up getting a keyboard working using a USB/PS2 adapter (I don't have any USB keyboards) and eventually got it detected. Unfortunately, the system locked up after I selected the keyboard layout and language.

Any ideas as to where I should go from here?

Has anyone here tried the iAtkos 5i release yet?

I am having a whole lot of trouble booting from it - I keep getting the "Still waiting for root device" issue after loading the firewire drivers. I tried starting with the rm=drive1s1, rm=drive0s1, and rm=drive0s0, and I always get the same outcome, even if I only have one partition on the HDD.

EDIT: Disabling ACPI to solve that problem. Now I'm waiting the magic 11:20 to see if I can get it booted the rest of the way.

EDIT 2: Upon waiting the 11 minutes, I found the onboard LCD would still not "wake up" and show any video. However, when I switched the output to the VGA connector, I saw a dialog telling me OSX could not find any keyboard. The touchpad didn't work at all, so I plugged in a USB mouse and proceeded through the dialog. I ended up getting a keyboard working using a USB/PS2 adapter (I don't have any USB keyboards) and eventually got it detected. Unfortunately, the system locked up after I selected the keyboard layout and language.

Any ideas as to where I should go from here?

I've been working on installing iAtkos i5 most of the weekend and finally it working with full video. Keep in mind I've tried about 20 installs and most likely will pass on some wrong information here so your milage may vary.

When booting to the DVD I had to use the flags "-v acpi=off cpus=2". Even then it would give me a BSD so I would need to reboot and try again.

As far as selections less is better I did remove the thermal kext and had to select the ps2 keyboard to get keyboard and track pad to work. It doesn't seem to mater if you select the video it will load the kext either way and they will keep your video from working. Do not select the graphics update it never has worked on these systems.

After install I booted to Vista and used Macdrive and deleted all of the IntelGMA950 and X3100 kext along with the Appleintelintergratedframebuffer. Getting rid of this will let it boot. The sound can be fixed using the same fixes that are already listed in this thread. You can set up your hot corners and sleep display app altho they won't work until the display is fixed but they will be in place.

The display kext that will work can be found here.

http://xtremevenomuk.co.uk/download.php?list.15

It is the kext from 10.5.6 and seems to be the framebuffer from the older version. Just install it with Kext Helper B7 repair and reboot and you display should work as before. It still will go black at the resolution change at boot up but the sleep display will bring it right back.

The system sleep worked out of the box and I haven't tried the clam shut fix yet but that will be next. This is important for the gamers to have the system sleep working as once it has been through the sleep wake cycle the display no longer goes black at the resolution change.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info Gimmered! I am now able to boot to the desktop!

One problem I'm having though, is even after installing the display kexts using the Kext Helper app, the display is still shut off when booting. I set up both the "automatic sleep" app to run at login and set the hot corner, but I am still unable to get the display to stay on with those kexts installed - if I remove them from the extensions directory using Windows Macdrive, OS X boots fine.

Again, Thanks!

Thanks for the info Gimmered! I am now able to boot to the desktop!

One problem I'm having though, is even after installing the display kexts using the Kext Helper app, the display is still shut off when booting. I set up both the "automatic sleep" app to run at login and set the hot corner, but I am still unable to get the display to stay on with those kexts installed - if I remove them from the extensions directory using Windows Macdrive, OS X boots fine.

Again, Thanks!

Hmm not sure. You might try some different version of natit kext. This seems to be pretty hit and miss with the x3100.

One more update. I ran the 10.5.6 update from the software update. The system rebooted twice and booted to a black screen as with the 10.5.5 install. I deleted all the appleintelGMA kext as in my previous post. The keyboard and trackpad as well as the sound no longer worked and had to be re-patched so keep a USB keyboard nearby.

I lost the system sleep with the upgrade but was able to patch it with files from here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mkigynnkyjy

I have since ran every update directly from Apple without any problems so currently my system is completely up to date.

Ok, I managed to get PS2 and battery meter working using the package found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...7139&st=20#

I realized that I may be installing the display driver files in the wrong places, though. I know the kext files go in /system/library/extensions/ (where they are chmodded using kext helper), but where do the plugin and bundle files go?