[Guide] OS X iAtkos 1.0i Leopard Install on Dell Vostro 1400, 1500, 1700 / Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720 with GMA X3100

kristoff

206 posts in this topic

You should look in your system.logs (if it is easier for you go to Console and choose LOG DATABASE QUERIES -> All Messages and go to the entry after "Kernel" "System Sleep". From there and to the startup you might find hints of what causes problems and what is not, but remember that a few errors or failures are due to the fact that the computer is going from/to sleep.

Hmmm There is no entry for "kernal" "system sleep".

Update: Ran the Kalyway combo updates and then the kalyway 10.5.2 kernel update with the vanilla kernel. Now sleep works fine on my 1720.

somebody else succeeded in getting sleep and waking up working on his vostro 1500. I've asked him to tell what he has exactly done (cf topic: DELL XPS M1330, M1530, V1400, V1700 etc...)

I hope he has found the solution for our vostro/inspiron

Because you need an enabler, Natit/NVinject for Nvidia cards, special Natit for Intel cards, or Natit for ATI cards.

Thanks Macgirl. I already have Natit kext. I did see I would need to delete other kext files also after more reading. I guess my real question is, would there be any improvement with the sleep display with the graphic upgrade?

Everything else is working fine with my GMA X3100 graphics.

@gimme red and @ krist off and @ mac girl

i am in the same position as gimme red. i applied leopard graphics update but it didnt change anything, the only thing is that , even if u remove natit.kext no problem occurs.

i m using the same sleep display script being used by gimme red which allow me to get display after 8-10 seconds of login.

But the real issue is how long will we continue with this sleep display trick , we want a solution to this problem because it gets the display anyway. but when we change resolution then again display goes off. i had once tried playing warcraft but the screen goes black due to resolution change in game.

so resolution change is still not effective. mac girl plz provide information on this problem, what should we do ?

@ krist off

when would be ur major rewrite publish ? i have been seeing ur messages that u will do rewrite. but nothing has happened till now

@GimmeRed, Graphics Update have Graphics kext and OpenGL engine new files, apply it, there is no hurt if you already have 10.5.2 graphics kexts

@indianguy, For now there is no other solution, maybe in future updates will have a solution.

@gimme red and @ krist off and @ mac girl

i am in the same position as gimme red. i applied leopard graphics update but it didnt change anything, the only thing is that , even if u remove natit.kext no problem occurs.

i m using the same sleep display script being used by gimme red which allow me to get display after 8-10 seconds of login.

But the real issue is how long will we continue with this sleep display trick , we want a solution to this problem because it gets the display anyway. but when we change resolution then again display goes off. i had once tried playing warcraft but the screen goes black due to resolution change in game.

so resolution change is still not effective. mac girl plz provide information on this problem, what should we do ?

@ krist off

when would be ur major rewrite publish ? i have been seeing ur messages that u will do rewrite. but nothing has happened till now

We'll see where this leads.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=94821

May be just what we need.

Also you might want to relax a little. Macgirl has done a great job on this site and I believe if she had an answer for sure She'd let us know.

Remember all of these things worked fine for us with Vista, we are the ones who choose to do this. ;)

@GimmeRed, Graphics Update have Graphics kext and OpenGL engine new files, apply it, there is no hurt if you already have 10.5.2 graphics kexts

@indianguy, For now there is no other solution, maybe in future updates will have a solution.

Actually, if you apply the Leopard Graphics Update without editing, it will cause a black screen with the x3100, at least in my experience.

Is there a way to update x3100 to the newer opengl engine and kext without usingg the Leopard Graphics Update? I haven't been able to find a clear solution.

I have just made some revisions to the guide - check it out if you need help with getting sound working or dual-booting with Windows.

Again, we still need to sort out the sleep issue, and update the x3100 graphics, as it is a little sluggish when checking FPS in video games. But workable for now!

@kristoff did you see the sleep fix in my guide?

Also there is a tip for the Media keys of the keyboard.

Can you post a link for the sleep fix? edit - found it, have added it to the guide. I've been in "sleep mode" myself in regards to this guide.

By media keys, do you mean the play / pause / volume buttons on the front? Because they already work after patching the sound.

Also: I updated to 10.5.2, but did not install the Leopard Graphics Update, as it toasted my display the last time. Do you know if there is a safe way to do the update, that will actually improve x3100 performance?

Thanks!

OKAY! So! Here's the scoop.

Inspiron 1420 - 2.0ghz dual core, 2gigs ram, 100gb hdd, 3900 series wireless, bt, etc.

Operating systems - XP Professional and Linux Fedora (complete with that blasted GRUB booter) After finally finding a tutorial that is well written and for my system, I charged in for my first ever triple boot machine. After finally downloading the DVD I proceeded to follow the instructions to the letter. I made it to :

START UP again, holding F12. Insert the gParted Live CD, press enter for all options. Once you are booted in, select the hard drive, go to Flags, mark it as bootable. Exit and restart.

WAIT until you pass the Apple logo, followed by a brief blue screen, then BLACKNESS.

Without issue. At the step where it told me to WAIT, I was not happily presented with the beautiful apple logo. Instead, I was presented with the GRUB loader telling me to go to my room. I wept and after 6 hours I have finally discovered how to reset the MBR with windows XP - (this is accomplished by inserting the XP disc, running recovery console, selecting which "windows" to recover, and running the command - fixmbr - for more information see http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsf/p/fixmbr.htm) It has just wiped all my installs (but thankfully it wiped GRUB too, I hope), and I am now repeating the tutorial installing Leopard FIRST. I will deal w/ XP later (since all the drivers for the 1420 are Vista :( ). I am posting this for those who have Linux installed on their computer first - this was my experience, I will keep you posted. I am at the first blackout screen of the fresh install.

Still so cigar! I have repartitioned and reinstalled countless ways; both using gparted and apple's software - Still no working install. I get to the same point everytime: the "Wait until you see the Mac Logo appear (after installation). Instead, all I get is a blank screen w/ a blinking underscore in the top left. Any suggestions, y'all? Right now, I'm installing OS X again and after setting the partition to boot with GParted, I will pop in the Apple disc and boot from it - but when it asks me to push a key I will decline. Hopefully it will look for (and find!!!) the /com/boot... that it looks for.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! <3

Bumpity Bump
Not sure what the problem could be. If all else fails, I would just install OS X - don't partition your drive for Windows at all. You can always resize and partition it later.And, of course, mark the drive as "active" or "bootable" using gparted or similar software. Then you should be good to go.Alternately, you might just have a bad installation dvd - maybe trying downloading / burning again, at 1x speed? Hope that helps
Wow... AWESOME, well-written guide... Now, I found iAtkos 1.0i.iso and I'm downloading it. It's only 2.44 gb ... is this right? I thought most of these were around 4.3gb... Am I getting the right torrent?
The torrent that has lots of seeders and is 2 gigs or so - that's the right one. I have not had luck with the r2 release - so beware of that. Hopefully there will be a 10.5.2 release available soon.

Thanks for getting back to me, Kristoff. I downloaded another build (the R2 one, same as the above poster d/led), burned 3 discs all at 1x speed, reinstalled another 15 times at least using all different configs. STILL nothing. I don't think Darwin Boot Loader is installing! Tried all kinds of partitioning, using gParted and the OS X cd. even tried loading up the DVD and hitting F8 to reach boot: then entering rd=diskXsY Tried X for 0-2 (only have 1 drive even, in the laptop) and then Y being 0-3! I refuse to throw in the towel, I'm a stubborn {censored}, but if there's anything you can think of I'd love you forever. It's got to be something with the boot loader / EFI emulation, I think. I've tried it with and without speedstep, ahci and the other one (ata?), with and without multiple CPUs.... still a blinkin' underscore.

<3

Sound fix not working...

I get this when I repair permissions... Keeps saying "Should be 0, user is 501" Should I change my user group?

2008-04-08 23:57:18 -0700: Repairing permissions for “OSX”

2008-04-08 23:58:50 -0700: Group differs on "home", should be 80, group is 0.

2008-04-08 23:58:51 -0700: Group differs on "net", should be 80, group is 0.

2008-04-08 23:58:52 -0700: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2008-04-08 23:58:52 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/Info.plist", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDAController", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/MacOS", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/version.plist", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle/Contents/Info.plist", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDAHALPlugIn", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle/Contents/MacOS", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle/Contents/version.plist", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle/Contents", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOHDAFamily", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAFamily.kext/Contents/version.plist", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAFamily.kext/Contents", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAFamily.kext", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/DefaultAudioLevels.plist", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:53 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/version.plist", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:54 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:58:54 -0700: User differs on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext", should be 0, user is 501.

2008-04-08 23:59:05 -0700:

2008-04-08 23:59:05 -0700: Permissions repair complete

Then no audio device is even detected afterwards..

and my computer wont shut down properly... can I remove this AppleHDA patch I've done? I didnt actually mind using usbAudio if my computer shuts down normally.

Any help would be appreciated!!

ThAnKs !! :P

i finally managed to make things work and installed this on my vostro 1400 with intel x3100

i have some problems though.

do i have to wait 11mins and 20secs every time i shut down?i get a black screen..

i didnt select any network drivers from the installation menu, is there a way to install them now? i dont remember which chipsets my vostro has for wireless/ethernet

thanks a lot.