[Guide] OS X iAtkos 1.0i Leopard Install on Dell Vostro 1400, 1500, 1700 / Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720 with GMA X3100

kristoff

206 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

I just buyed Dell Inspiron 1525!

My specs are:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 2.0 Ghz 800Mhz 2Mb L2 Cache

Memory: 2 Gb Ram DDR2 667Mhz

Board: Intel 965

WiFi: Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card

Lan: Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI

Bluetooth: Dell Truemobile 355 Bluetooth + EDR

Audio: Sigma Tel 9205

Graphic: Intel GMA X3100

Webcam: 2Mpx

Does Leopard work in my laptop or not?

Hi guys!

I just buyed Dell Inspiron 1525!

My specs are:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 2.0 Ghz 800Mhz 2Mb L2 Cache

Memory: 2 Gb Ram DDR2 667Mhz

Board: Intel 965

WiFi: Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card

Lan: Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI

Bluetooth: Dell Truemobile 355 Bluetooth + EDR

Audio: Sigma Tel 9205

Graphic: Intel GMA X3100

Webcam: 2Mpx

Does Leopard work in my laptop or not?

Yes it will work well for the most part. I'm not sure about the wireless or the web cam bt the rest will run fine. The video is a little quirky to get going with but if you follow the guides it's not too bad.

I need help please!!!! :)

U have such a great tutorial man, it works like a charm, I manage to install iatkos on my dell but the joy ends when I turn off the computer or restart it. It just goes black as when u are installing but the difference is that I cannot make it come back to light no matter how long I wait to press the keys or click, it just stays as if the screen was off.

Tried toggling the never sleep on the system preffs, and also the widget u advise, but nothing. it´s a dead computer.

any advise would be appreciated.

thks

I need help please!!!! ;)

U have such a great tutorial man, it works like a charm, I manage to install iatkos on my dell but the joy ends when I turn off the computer or restart it. It just goes black as when u are installing but the difference is that I cannot make it come back to light no matter how long I wait to press the keys or click, it just stays as if the screen was off.

Tried toggling the never sleep on the system preffs, and also the widget u advise, but nothing. it´s a dead computer.

any advise would be appreciated.

thks

Did you setup a hotcorner to enable sleepdisplay? I'm not sure if the 1420 acts any differently or not. The hotcorner trick is the safest bet to make sure you can get your display back on.

Hi there!

I got an Inspiron 1720 with X3100, 2 GB RAM, Dell (broadcom) 1505 wifi and two (2) 160 GB disks on it.

I tried the guide, excluding the part about multibooting, because i thought of using the second disk solely for Leo.

So, i went on and formatted the second disk from the Disk Utility, and continued with the installation. After a message of successful installation, on reboot, i get a black screen with the "-" sign and that'a it...

So, i thought i might use the gparted cd, and set the disk flag to bootable, which was already checked though..

Other than that, nothing different. Any clues as to how this thing will get fixed? I did the same thing 3 times, no change at all.

I'm pretty sure it's some minor detail which i can't for the life of me figure yet, but i believe the OS is there, it just won't boot.

Thanks anyway in advance

Hi there!

I got an Inspiron 1720 with X3100, 2 GB RAM, Dell (broadcom) 1505 wifi and two (2) 160 GB disks on it.

I tried the guide, excluding the part about multibooting, because i thought of using the second disk solely for Leo.

So, i went on and formatted the second disk from the Disk Utility, and continued with the installation. After a message of successful installation, on reboot, i get a black screen with the "-" sign and that'a it...

So, i thought i might use the gparted cd, and set the disk flag to bootable, which was already checked though..

Other than that, nothing different. Any clues as to how this thing will get fixed? I did the same thing 3 times, no change at all.

I'm pretty sure it's some minor detail which i can't for the life of me figure yet, but i believe the OS is there, it just won't boot.

Thanks anyway in advance

I've never set it up on a separate disk so hopefully someone else wil chime in but I have seen where some have had to deselect the boot flag and then reselect it to get it to work.

Did you have all the same problems with the screen going black with Iatkos v2? I have thought about reinstalling to play with it but I have everything working pretty well and don't want to lose everything I have setup now.

@gimmered @super mario

i tried iatkos 2.0i but the screen got black after installation, how did supermario with vostro 1500 had successful installation

with iatkos 2.0i becoz the vostro has also the same problem of gma x3100

@GimmeRed:

Thanks for your reply, i haven't got involved with the installation of release 2, i stuck with the r1 of it, but nevertheless, i did have screen blackening issues during the installation process and used the power cord sequence (plug-in plug-out) so actually my installation went as described in the guide..

I have the same problem. I own inspiron 1525 and the hot corner's sleep mode isn't working at all, nether are the sleep applications. The only way is to wait 11 minutes 20 seconds. I tried the SUPERHAI patch for sleep mode , but it is not working, any suggestions please ?

I have the same problem. I own inspiron 1525 and the hot corner's sleep mode isn't working at all, nether are the sleep applications. The only way is to wait 11 minutes 20 seconds. I tried the SUPERHAI patch for sleep mode , but it is not working, any suggestions please ?

Download this.

http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/Aspe...load-27923.html

Open the sleep display zip click on the sleep display and tell it to install.

Does your screen go black when you double click on it? If not then I would guess your problem is with your install.

SUPERHAI patch for sleep is not for the display sleep it is for system sleep. They are 2 very different things. It is your display sleep making your screen go black. All the display sleep app. does is turns it back on when it goes black. It is going black when it changes the screen resolution when it first boots.

What distro do you have loaded? If it isn't Iatkos I think that might be the problem.

hi, my vostro 1400 is working pretty well on the new iATKOS 2.0i, except for the sound. I used the patched kext from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83039 using kext helper B7 and it worked- one. now there is no sound, but there is volume control. anyone else found a way around this?

does hot corner stuff work for you? I get blank screen (with backlight on) after boot. Moving mouse into hot corner results in backlight turning off but as soon as I move mouse out of it I get same black screen with backlight.

Pretty desperate here. ;)

Allright, i finally got through booting!

It appears that you need a realy precise timng machine to count down the 11-20 thing! ;)

First of all, i found out that the boot flag setting from gparted was not held. Thus, maybe every time someone attempts an instalation you should go through that sequence again. All the hints for the sleep problem got me through the working hot corners, but that means that every time i boot into OS X the screen is black and i have to move to one of the corners. Plus, when the desktop screen first appears, the widgets are activated and i have to hit the F12 for them to hide..

One other thing is that i enabled the root user, but when i went to the root login, i was back to black screen. This means that i have to fix the same problem (hotcorners/sleep) for the root account too. Will i have to wait another 11-20 after i log in to root again in order to get a screen back?

Last but not least, i got no sound! First boot showed me a volume icon on the toolbar, which amazingly increased/decreased volume without dissapearing, but there was no sound. So, i thought i must do the fix as described in the guide.

I deleted the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext as a first step, which resulted in the volume icon disappearing. Well, i said maybe this is normal. So i went on to copy AppleHDA.kext into the /System/Library/Extensions folder but was told that i didn't have priviledges to do that.. (this probably requires root account) but what i did is show package contents from the second AppleHDA.kext and copied the contents to the original file replacing its contents.. Then i draged the Sigmatel_9205_Codec_5.txt onto the HDAPatcher which gave me a report that it was patched. I rebooted, no volume icon, no output device in the System Preferences, and i get a report that the devices weren't properly installed. One minor detail: After patching the Sigmatel_9205_Codec_5.txt where are we supposed to place the .txt file?? Or is it put automatically somewhere after patching?

Any clues folks?

I have installed 1.0i in hopes of good luck with my x3100 graphics. The installer runs at full 1920x1200 resolution, then it reboots to the apple logo, blue screen, black screen. I tried the 11:20 trick, but I can not get to the desktop. Now, the odd part. If I do a safe boot (-x -f), then I get the same black screen, and the 11:20 trick DOES work. I get my desktop at full resolution in safe boot. So, I want to think my video drivers aren't the problem since they are working in safe boot (or are they slimmed down?). But, if I remove the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX* files, it boots fine into normal mode (1024x768 though).

Does anyone have any clues on how I can get into normal mode at full resolution?

Thanks!

Allright, i finally got through booting!

It appears that you need a realy precise timng machine to count down the 11-20 thing! :)

First of all, i found out that the boot flag setting from gparted was not held. Thus, maybe every time someone attempts an instalation you should go through that sequence again. All the hints for the sleep problem got me through the working hot corners, but that means that every time i boot into OS X the screen is black and i have to move to one of the corners. Plus, when the desktop screen first appears, the widgets are activated and i have to hit the F12 for them to hide..

One other thing is that i enabled the root user, but when i went to the root login, i was back to black screen. This means that i have to fix the same problem (hotcorners/sleep) for the root account too. Will i have to wait another 11-20 after i log in to root again in order to get a screen back?

Last but not least, i got no sound! First boot showed me a volume icon on the toolbar, which amazingly increased/decreased volume without dissapearing, but there was no sound. So, i thought i must do the fix as described in the guide.

I deleted the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext as a first step, which resulted in the volume icon disappearing. Well, i said maybe this is normal. So i went on to copy AppleHDA.kext into the /System/Library/Extensions folder but was told that i didn't have priviledges to do that.. (this probably requires root account) but what i did is show package contents from the second AppleHDA.kext and copied the contents to the original file replacing its contents.. Then i draged the Sigmatel_9205_Codec_5.txt onto the HDAPatcher which gave me a report that it was patched. I rebooted, no volume icon, no output device in the System Preferences, and i get a report that the devices weren't properly installed. One minor detail: After patching the Sigmatel_9205_Codec_5.txt where are we supposed to place the .txt file?? Or is it put automatically somewhere after patching?

Any clues folks?

As for the widgets opening go down to your dock and rigth click on the dashboard icon and deselect to open at login. You will need to use the hotcorner trick each time you restart the laptop unless you use the sleep display app. and put it in your dock and select it to open at login. If you do that as soon as it opens any key stroke will bring your display back.

As for the sound you need to change the AppleHDA.kext after you run the patcher many of the guides have the step backwards. Just recopy the kext change it repair and reboot and you should have sound.

I am using iATKOS_v1.0i.iso the funny part never happens. The screen never goes blank. Even if I wait over night.

It isn't entirely clear at which point I stop and wait. If I do nothing but let the boot proceed till it stops, the dialog displayed is "Click the button to continue..." dialog. If I wait thirty or forty minutes, then get impatient because the screen doesn't go blank, then click the arrow button to proceed, the spinning pizza just whirls away and nothing happens. I have tried waiting for hours on the next dialog but it also never goes blank and hangs when I lose patience and try to proceed.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1720 with the 8600 GT.

Any ideas what steps I am missing? I have the hard drive set to AHCI and the Flash Cache Module turned off.

I am using iATKOS_v1.0i.iso the funny part never happens. The screen never goes blank. Even if I wait over night.

It isn't entirely clear at which point I stop and wait. If I do nothing but let the boot proceed till it stops, the dialog displayed is "Click the button to continue..." dialog. If I wait thirty or forty minutes, then get impatient because the screen doesn't go blank, then click the arrow button to proceed, the spinning pizza just whirls away and nothing happens. I have tried waiting for hours on the next dialog but it also never goes blank and hangs when I lose patience and try to proceed.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1720 with the 8600 GT.

Any ideas what steps I am missing? I have the hard drive set to AHCI and the Flash Cache Module turned off.

What you are missing is the Intel x3100. The Nvidia will not go black. This is a good thing.

As for the hanging I'm not sure but this is not a good thing. I do have my hard drive set for ata. You might be better off with an updated version. I'm using iatkos v1r2

I have installed 1.0i in hopes of good luck with my x3100 graphics. The installer runs at full 1920x1200 resolution, then it reboots to the apple logo, blue screen, black screen. I tried the 11:20 trick, but I can not get to the desktop. Now, the odd part. If I do a safe boot (-x -f), then I get the same black screen, and the 11:20 trick DOES work. I get my desktop at full resolution in safe boot. So, I want to think my video drivers aren't the problem since they are working in safe boot (or are they slimmed down?). But, if I remove the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX* files, it boots fine into normal mode (1024x768 though).

Does anyone have any clues on how I can get into normal mode at full resolution?

Thanks!

Well, I added the SleepDisplay to my accounts startup tasks, and now I cant get past the black screen even with a safe boot. I booted to the DVD and ran terminal so I could try to delete the SleepDisplay app. I did rm -r it from the applications folder, but I still cant get in. Looks like I am up for reinstall #62. I really wish I could get this working :) I am going to try the hot corners trick next (atleast that way I can opt to crash it OR wait 11-20). Just downloaded the Kalyway 10.5.1 and will try that next if hot corners doesn't work (10.5.2. won't even boot to the DVD).

As for the widgets opening go down to your dock and rigth click on the dashboard icon and deselect to open at login.

That is already unchecked, but nevertheless it still pops up on boot...

Well, I added the SleepDisplay to my accounts startup tasks, and now I cant get past the black screen even with a safe boot. I booted to the DVD and ran terminal so I could try to delete the SleepDisplay app. I did rm -r it from the applications folder, but I still cant get in. Looks like I am up for reinstall #62. I really wish I could get this working :) I am going to try the hot corners trick next (atleast that way I can opt to crash it OR wait 11-20). Just downloaded the Kalyway 10.5.1 and will try that next if hot corners doesn't work (10.5.2. won't even boot to the DVD).

Do you have a 1720? It would help if you posted your specs. :P

It sounds to me like your kexts are corrupted. Let me know if you can't get it going I'll send you mine.

That's odd you might create a new account and log on to that and see if it goes away.

How about your sound did you get it working?

No, i haven't yet had the time to do that, just checked the dashboard icon and left, will do that ASAP

Do you have a 1720? It would help if you posted your specs. ;)

It sounds to me like your kexts are corrupted. Let me know if you can't get it going I'll send you mine.

Hehe, I feel silly now :wacko: See my sig and thanks for your help! If you wanna send me the kexts I would really appreciate it (I pm'd you my email address)

Thanks for the kexts. It did not work though, and I am seeing the same issue I have seen in the past

( here's my install history http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry757024 )

Anyway, I boot up, screen goes black. do the 11-20, and the backlight lights up, the screen is still black though. I see a normal mouse cursor in the top left (but it wont move), and a movable cursor is the one torn into 30 or so lines.

Just to make sure i did things right, after install, i killed the AppleIntelGMAX* files in /System/Library/Extensions. I then booted up in normal mode, downloaded your kexts and copied them into that same folder. I then ran disk utility and repaired permissions on the os x partition. reboot..

Am I still missing something? I appreciate your help! Thanks!

EDIT: What version of iAtkos are you running? I can get them all installed to try your kexts except for r3 (2.0i I can't figure out the boot loader, but I have only spent a few hours trying to get that. Boot using the dvd and letting the timer run down makes it load off the HDD, but it yields a lockup on the Apple logo IIRC)