[Guide] OS X iAtkos 1.0i Leopard Install on Dell Vostro 1400, 1500, 1700 / Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720 with GMA X3100

kristoff

206 posts in this topic

Thanks for the kexts. It did not work though, and I am seeing the same issue I have seen in the past

( here's my install history http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry757024 )

Anyway, I boot up, screen goes black. do the 11-20, and the backlight lights up, the screen is still black though. I see a normal mouse cursor in the top left (but it wont move), and a movable cursor is the one torn into 30 or so lines.

Just to make sure i did things right, after install, i killed the AppleIntelGMAX* files in /System/Library/Extensions. I then booted up in normal mode, downloaded your kexts and copied them into that same folder. I then ran disk utility and repaired permissions on the os x partition. reboot..

Am I still missing something? I appreciate your help! Thanks!

EDIT: What version of iAtkos are you running? I can get them all installed to try your kexts except for r3 (2.0i I can't figure out the boot loader, but I have only spent a few hours trying to get that. Boot using the dvd and letting the timer run down makes it load off the HDD, but it yields a lockup on the Apple logo IIRC)

Well damn I was hoping that would do. I am running v1 r3 minus the bad bios patch. I just ran the first patch.

What bios version are you running? I'm grasping at straws here but I not sure wh it doesn't work on yours.

Bios version is A06 (1/14/08). Please keep grasping as I don't know what I'll do without your help. This is a REFURB laptop if that matters. I think if I switch my SATA operation in the bios to ATA, I might get r3 to see my hdd (not sure why i think this, maybe i read it somewhere?) I may try that after removing my windows drive

Bios version is A06 (1/14/08). Please keep grasping as I don't know what I'll do without your help. This is a REFURB laptop if that matters. I think if I switch my SATA operation in the bios to ATA, I might get r3 to see my hdd (not sure why i think this, maybe i read it somewhere?) I may try that after removing my windows drive

Try the ATA that is what mine is set to. I'm also running the same Bios. Mine is also a refurb.

One thing that might work (but then again it might kill your install :D ) is to remove all the appleintel x3100 kexts and frame buffers ect. and also your natit kext and run the apple graphics update. This normally will lead to a black screen but I think if you remove all of the GMA 950 kext before you reboot it will work ok. I've seen where this will straighten out the dual monitor issues too.

That's odd you might create a new account and log on to that and see if it goes away.

How about your sound did you get it working?

Ok, i got the sound to work. Indeed i changed the sequence, but one major detail: I didn't actually delete the Azalia kext. I placed it elsewhere until i finished the rest of the changes, then since i noticed that nothing worked, i placed it back in the Extensions folder, and Presto!

As for the widgets, no change...

Thanks for the kexts. It did not work though, and I am seeing the same issue I have seen in the past

( here's my install history http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry757024 )

Anyway, I boot up, screen goes black. do the 11-20, and the backlight lights up, the screen is still black though. I see a normal mouse cursor in the top left (but it wont move), and a movable cursor is the one torn into 30 or so lines.

Just to make sure i did things right, after install, i killed the AppleIntelGMAX* files in /System/Library/Extensions. I then booted up in normal mode, downloaded your kexts and copied them into that same folder. I then ran disk utility and repaired permissions on the os x partition. reboot..

Am I still missing something? I appreciate your help! Thanks!

EDIT: What version of iAtkos are you running? I can get them all installed to try your kexts except for r3 (2.0i I can't figure out the boot loader, but I have only spent a few hours trying to get that. Boot using the dvd and letting the timer run down makes it load off the HDD, but it yields a lockup on the Apple logo IIRC)

Try the kext from this zip and see if they do the trick they are the ones from the apple graphics update. It looks like you might want to double check that the appleintelgmax3100.kext installed after you reboot. Use kext helper to install them.

Try the ATA that is what mine is set to. I'm also running the same Bios. Mine is also a refurb. One thing that might work (but then again it might kill your install :) ) is to remove all the appleintel x3100 kexts and frame buffers ect. and also your natit kext and run the apple graphics update. This normally will lead to a black screen but I think if you remove all of the GMA 950 kext before you reboot it will work ok. I've seen where this will straighten out the dual monitor issues too.
Ok, ata got r3 to see the hdd. I installed and then ran the kalyway 10.5.2 combo update (to get to 10.5.2 as required by the graphics update.) Then I deleted the gma3100 and framebuffer kexts, installed the graphics update, and deleted the gma950 kexts. rebooted to a black screen (11-20 no worky). I just now realized that I did NOT remove the natit kext before installing the graphics update (just over looked it i guess). So, I will go home, rinse and repeat I assume I can just delete those kexts and reinstall the graphics update? I guess if it doesn't work, I will reinstall os x and take it from the top.Thanks again for your help. I will keep you up to date.
Try the kext from this zip and see if they do the trick they are the ones from the apple graphics update. It looks like you might want to double check that the appleintelgmax3100.kext installed after you reboot. Use kext helper to install them.
Do you think I should do this even after installling the graphics update or should I get the same result either way?

Ok, ata got r3 to see the hdd. I installed and then ran the kalyway 10.5.2 combo update (to get to 10.5.2 as required by the graphics update.) Then I deleted the gma3100 and framebuffer kexts, installed the graphics update, and deleted the gma950 kexts. rebooted to a black screen (11-20 no worky). I just now realized that I did NOT remove the natit kext before installing the graphics update (just over looked it i guess). So, I will go home, rinse and repeat I assume I can just delete those kexts and reinstall the graphics update? I guess if it doesn't work, I will reinstall os x and take it from the top.Thanks again for your help. I will keep you up to date.Do you think I should do this even after installling the graphics update or should I get the same result either way?

If I understand it correctly this is pretty much what the graphics update will give you. I went ahead and installed them on mine and got some strange results. My top menu bar was rendered useless. If I clicked on it it would cascade several copies bt nothing would open. I'd like to install the individual kext one at a time and try it out but I'm a little gun shy, I don't want to kill a working install.

So you are thinking just to try installing (or removing) one at a time? I Would do that, I guess start with the 3100 kexts in no particular order? I didn't get a chance to play with it last night, I will tonight. I hope I get something working. I have been working on this every other day for over a month now ;)

PS, I added to my signature, that my screen is 1920x1200. Maybe we have slightly different graphics cards?

hi

just got a vostro 1700, it will not boot any 10.4.x discs.

it did boot osx 10.4.10 the first time, now it kernel panics

it did boot and even install 10.4.8, now again kernel panic!

tried various leo's, all complicated! however just got 10.5.2 iatkos 2.0 from here:

http://forumw.org/viewtopic.php?t=707451

and once i messed up the drives totally!!! then installed that using mbr partitioned disc, used partition 1.

selected only main system, and bootloader

the bootloader did not work! the system booted tho with the disc in drive, as usual!

then i rebooted the disc, used -s to go to command terminal thing, tried to write mbr, nothing changed! exited, then booted to install disc again, then selected the nvidia inject thing, and chose 256mb as thats what the machine has, the 8600M GT, rebooted and 1440 x 900 was automatically present, graphics working great at first glance, both cores working. ive not checked sys profiler, will do later, and i will work on getting more things working. unfortunately mine has the intel wireless! so i shall swap that from my old inspiron which has the dell one that works!

so i selected only main system, bootloader and graphics if you like, boots a treat! no special kernels. however i would rather have 10.4.10 as i prefer that! leopard goes all screwy on my G4 with upgraded CPU!

there are certain versions (different device IDs?) of the x3100 that have troubles i believe. check these threads out if you havent already:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70282

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=71784

I have a vostro 1500 with x3100, but i ran fine the first time at native 1280x800 with iATKOS 1.0i. The only trouble I had was the screen sleep thing, if you attach an external monitor, you can tell when the screen sleeps and you should move your mouse. have you tried externals with your setup yet?

also, you've said you can start with 1024x768, have you tried any updates from there? there are newer graphics kexts out with 10.5.2, and 10.5.3, might be worth a try.

i can try getting you some 10.5.3 kexts if you want to give it a try.

mmmmno, I had seen those threads in the past (month or so ago) and I tried a lot of ideas I found in there (many times ending up rather confused though). I do notice that there are some more recent developments though, so I will see if I can find my device ID under Windows and hope it matches one of these solutions. Thanks for mentioning the different device ID's, now I won't feel like I am poking a stick in the dark.

I have not tried an external monitor yet to see when the sleep occurs. But I could get into safe boot, and I added sleep display to my startup applications, and then I couldn't get in at all (did not add the corners trick yet). I could bring my machine into work and hook up to an external monitor there to try it.

With regard to booting at 1024x768, I can only get that if I delete my x3100 kexts, so there is no driver loaded to try improving on. I do get internet access and I have done an upgrade to 10.5.2, then installed the graphics update. I have the 10.5.3 update on my machine ready to go, but I have not installed that one yet. It looks like there is a lot for me to try tonight.

mmmmno, I had seen those threads in the past (month or so ago) and I tried a lot of ideas I found in there (many times ending up rather confused though). I do notice that there are some more recent developments though, so I will see if I can find my device ID under Windows and hope it matches one of these solutions. Thanks for mentioning the different device ID's, now I won't feel like I am poking a stick in the dark.

I have not tried an external monitor yet to see when the sleep occurs. But I could get into safe boot, and I added sleep display to my startup applications, and then I couldn't get in at all (did not add the corners trick yet). I could bring my machine into work and hook up to an external monitor there to try it.

With regard to booting at 1024x768, I can only get that if I delete my x3100 kexts, so there is no driver loaded to try improving on. I do get internet access and I have done an upgrade to 10.5.2, then installed the graphics update. I have the 10.5.3 update on my machine ready to go, but I have not installed that one yet. It looks like there is a lot for me to try tonight.

You can check on OSX about this mac, more info,graphic/display.This one is mine.

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x000c

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display Connector:

I also have

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x000c

I tried following the guide that AJ.Allen posted over in:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1784&st=200

which was for this exact device as well. I rebooted after taking all of those steps, and the Apple screen locks up with the drivers he supplied (this seems to be very common for me unfortunately). I assume the hotcorner sleep took because when I move the mouse to the corner and come back out, it disappears for a half second or so. The mouse responds, but the little rotating dots below the apple logo stops spinning. This was all done on top of an existing install though, so I erased the disk and began a fresh install of r2 when I went to bed (switched my SATA operation back to AHCI so I dont fubar my windows drive). This is really annoying considering the 1.0i installer and safe boot come up at full resolution.

What is QE/CI? I keep reading about it, no clue what it is though

quartz extreme/core ... graphics of some sort. dont remember what I is exactly. you need it for stuff like front row, iwork, and random other things.

as for your frozen apple screen. boot up in -v for verbose mode, and see if you can tell what's causing the freezes.

Ok, no progress.

I finished up the iAtkos 1.0ir2 installation, installed the kalyway 10.5.2 combo update, and then installed the graphics update.

I first tried proosje's method:

Remove all the AppleIntelGMA* files from extensions, also remove Natit and NVDA files.

Get the graphics update from Apple and install this.

After installing again remove the AppleIntelGMA950 files but leave the X3100 files.

No need for Natit or anthing else.

Rebooted to a blue then black screen.

Next, I reinstalled the graphics update, and tried aj.allens method again

So, I hooked up to an external monitor...

Rebooted to a blue then black screen. External monitor came on with just a blue screen, not even a cursor.

Installed gimmeRed's kexts using kext helper nd then repairing permissions.

Rebooted to a blue then black screen. External monitor came on with just a blue screen, not even a cursor.

Removed the AppleIntelFramebuffer.kext and 950 kexts.

during all black screens, I tried to sleep and wake with the hotcorner I setup. It had no effect at all on the internal monitor or external monitor.

So, I am stuck with this consistant problem. Are there any diagnostic tools or something to tell me if my graphics card is malfunctioning? I ask because I started using vista :( and it is bluescreening once every few days or so. Its a shot in the dark, but maybe related? Any other tips?

Ok, no progress.

I finished up the iAtkos 1.0ir2 installation, installed the kalyway 10.5.2 combo update, and then installed the graphics update.

I first tried proosje's method:

Remove all the AppleIntelGMA* files from extensions, also remove Natit and NVDA files.

Get the graphics update from Apple and install this.

After installing again remove the AppleIntelGMA950 files but leave the X3100 files.

No need for Natit or anthing else.

Next, I reinstalled the graphics update, and tried aj.allens method again

So, I hooked up to an external monitor...

Installed gimmeRed's kexts using kext helper nd then repairing permissions.

Removed the AppleIntelFramebuffer.kext and 950 kexts.

during all black screens, I tried to sleep and wake with the hotcorner I setup. It had no effect at all on the internal monitor or external monitor.

So, I am stuck with this consistant problem. Are there any diagnostic tools or something to tell me if my graphics card is malfunctioning? I ask because I started using vista :thumbsdown_anim: and it is bluescreening once every few days or so. Its a shot in the dark, but maybe related? Any other tips?

Does the sleep display app work at all on your system?

As for the blue screen of death in Vista Mine did that also when I first got it but I've never had a problem since I reinstalled and updated.

Just tried the sleep app, and it really messes up my system. I lose wireless and everything starts running slow. I have to reinstall the OS to fix it (reboot doesn't work). So I haven't added it to my startup items for these reasons.

Current progress: I stripped out all 3100* kexts except for the 3100.kext and the 3100FB, and now I am booted into an operational 1920x1200 os x. No QE/CI, but then again, I don't even know what that gives you. Soo, I would like to get QE/CI working, but at least graphics is no longer a show stopper. I am experiencing mouse tearing and no audio, but those could use some research still.

I have since been addressing this issue over here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1784&st=200

So, if anyone wishes to follow along, see that thread

Just tried the sleep app, and it really messes up my system. I lose wireless and everything starts running slow. I have to reinstall the OS to fix it (reboot doesn't work). So I haven't added it to my startup items for these reasons.

Did you use the Sleep display application or the widget?The widget I know will mess things up but I've never reard of the app doing it.

I've gotten iAtkos 1.0ir2 installed working fairly well on my dell inspiron 1720 considering this isn't meant to be installed on a pc :shock:. My sound currently isn't working OOB, but I haven't exactly been working my ass off to fix it either, I don't expect it will be much of a problem. I do have QE working with my Nvidia 8600M GT via NVinstallerV41 and I'm running at my native res of 1440x900. Ethernet is working with Broadcom drivers but of course, no wireless yet :/As far as update go...I have tried to use the comboupdate from kaly and I can't get it to work, I'm not too sure what the problem is there yet. *side note* I have been having trouble getting ANY of the 10.5.2 installations dvds to even boot into the OS X installer. They usually just stop loading before I can even make it to a GUI. I've tried iATKOSv2, Kalyway 10.5.2, and Leo4all. Each one was burned at low speeds and I also checked to make sure that the md5 was correct etc. Has anyone else been having this kind of problem on with the inspiron 1720s? My hardware is as follows

Intel Core2Duo @ 2GHz

Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT w 256mb of ram

2GB of ram

Intel Wireless 3945 a/b/g

Peace

I have problems booting all but the iAtkos release. What error do you get with iAtkos?

For your wireless, AFAIK, the Intel won't work yet. Check this out though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200220255318

I offered $7.99 and they accepted (96 more to sell). Its an easy swap to replace your intel card, and this works right out of the box.

And as for sound, I followed the steps on the first post (had to copy the AppleHDA.kext twice as recommended), and it worked like a charm. I need to update my sig now I guess since I have a mostly working install.

Hi,

I have a little problem to sleep my inspiron 1520.

I did this :

SLEEP:

Download this file:

http://home.broadpark.no/~ared/USBEHCI%20Updater.pkg

Then run it and reboot! THANKS TO SUPERHAI!

So, my computer sleeps great but I can't wake up it properly !

If I push my power button, the computer wakes up but my screen stay black ;)

Did I forget something ?

I have problems booting all but the iAtkos release. What error do you get with iAtkos?

It's not exactly an error it just stops booting, It'll get to the (don't remember exact error) "com.apple.boot etc etc etc has dependencies on blah blah blah use only one style."

It says this same thing on iATKOSv1ir2 for me but it keeps booting. All of the 10.5.2 disc I've burned just stop booting at this and wont load an installer. It's not that big of a deal to me now because I've figured out how to update properly and am currently running 10.5.3 perfectly and have the sound working. The only thing I haven't tried to fix now is the battery meter(doesn't display, no true power management). With all of that said, I'm glad to see how the installs and setups of these systems (osx86) have gradually gotten easier and easier, I remember all the {censored} I had to go through to get 10.4 tiger versions onto my old poweredge dell servers lol. Along with that I'm glad I don't have to put up with the {censored} of alot of the ati cards as well. Callisto nearly drove me mad way back when.

Cheers to OSx86!